5 Ridiculous Things You Probably Believe About Islam *WARNING*: Substantial Amount of Words

Originally Posted by Checks McGee

wow 2 pages with no did not read gifs?
nerd.gif

tired.gif
laugh.gif
That's why I gave the warning in the title for the reading phobic.

Originally Posted by Napoleon

#4.

Our Founding Fathers Would Never Have Tolerated This Muslim Nonsense!

38423.jpg

It's easy to stand on a soapbox and publicly bluster about what you think the Founding Fathers would think about the godless, multicultural United States today. After all, these were Christian, God-fearing men, damn it. They certainly wouldn't put up with all this tolerance for these terrorist religions.

38407.jpg

Thomas Jefferson, moments before leaping into the air on a giant eagle and drop-kicking Saladin.

It's a good thing some Americans are standing up for good old-fashioned American values and passing laws to prohibit Islamic law from taking over the U.S., because that's totally around the corner! Somewhere, Thomas Jefferson is smiling in his grave!

But actually...

Even if they were staunch Christians, plenty of the Founding Fathers had a healthy admiration for the Muslim faith. Thomas Jefferson, for example, taught himself Arabic using his own copy of the Quran and hosted the first White House Iftar during Ramadan.

38408.jpg

Jefferson believed in celebrating the deliciousness of all world religions.

John Adams hailed the Islamic prophet Muhammad as one of the great "inquirers after truth." Benjamin Rush, who was so Christian he wanted a Bible in every school, also said he would rather see the opinions of Confucius or Mohammad "inculcated upon our youth" than see them grow deprived "of a system of religious principles." Benjamin Franklin once declared: "Even if the Mufti of Constantinople were to send a missionary to preach Mohammedanism to us, he would find a pulpit at his service." Even George %@#*@!@ Washington personally welcomed Muslims to come work for him at Mount Vernon.

So, why all this Founding Father/Muslim love? Probably because Sultan Mohammed ben Abdallah of Morocco was the first world figure to recognize the independence of the United States of America from Great Britain in 1777. Another reason was that the Founding Fathers were smart enough to distinguish between terrorists and everybody else on the whole damn planet, as demonstrated in the Treaty of Tripoli in 1797. It was in this agreement that the U.S. declared: "The government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian Religion, as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Mussulmen [Moslems]."

38409.jpg

Another possible translation.

I may not be that religious but this was mind blowing...

Not surprising. Most people just think of them as "slave holders and slave traders".

Originally Posted by Napoleon

#4.

Our Founding Fathers Would Never Have Tolerated This Muslim Nonsense!

38423.jpg

It's easy to stand on a soapbox and publicly bluster about what you think the Founding Fathers would think about the godless, multicultural United States today. After all, these were Christian, God-fearing men, damn it. They certainly wouldn't put up with all this tolerance for these terrorist religions.

38407.jpg

Thomas Jefferson, moments before leaping into the air on a giant eagle and drop-kicking Saladin.

It's a good thing some Americans are standing up for good old-fashioned American values and passing laws to prohibit Islamic law from taking over the U.S., because that's totally around the corner! Somewhere, Thomas Jefferson is smiling in his grave!

But actually...

Even if they were staunch Christians, plenty of the Founding Fathers had a healthy admiration for the Muslim faith. Thomas Jefferson, for example, taught himself Arabic using his own copy of the Quran and hosted the first White House Iftar during Ramadan.

38408.jpg

Jefferson believed in celebrating the deliciousness of all world religions.

John Adams hailed the Islamic prophet Muhammad as one of the great "inquirers after truth." Benjamin Rush, who was so Christian he wanted a Bible in every school, also said he would rather see the opinions of Confucius or Mohammad "inculcated upon our youth" than see them grow deprived "of a system of religious principles." Benjamin Franklin once declared: "Even if the Mufti of Constantinople were to send a missionary to preach Mohammedanism to us, he would find a pulpit at his service." Even George %@#*@!@ Washington personally welcomed Muslims to come work for him at Mount Vernon.

So, why all this Founding Father/Muslim love? Probably because Sultan Mohammed ben Abdallah of Morocco was the first world figure to recognize the independence of the United States of America from Great Britain in 1777. Another reason was that the Founding Fathers were smart enough to distinguish between terrorists and everybody else on the whole damn planet, as demonstrated in the Treaty of Tripoli in 1797. It was in this agreement that the U.S. declared: "The government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian Religion, as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Mussulmen [Moslems]."

38409.jpg

Another possible translation.

I may not be that religious but this was mind blowing...

Not surprising. Most people just think of them as "slave holders and slave traders".

To those interested in extremism and its underlying causes, I would strongly recommend Robert Pape's "Dying to Win." It's the only serious examination of why zealots become zealots.

To those interested in extremism and its underlying causes, I would strongly recommend Robert Pape's "Dying to Win." It's the only serious examination of why zealots become zealots.

good post, after 9/11 my mother use to flip out on people that was cynical on my first name being "malik" (i think its arabic for king) because it wasn't a christian name. People thing that all muslims are suicide bombers, my grandpa's muslim and that dude ain't bombing squat

good post, after 9/11 my mother use to flip out on people that was cynical on my first name being "malik" (i think its arabic for king) because it wasn't a christian name. People thing that all muslims are suicide bombers, my grandpa's muslim and that dude ain't bombing squat

Originally Posted by RetroSan

Very True

Originally Posted by RetroSan

Very True

Originally Posted by solemunchies

This is a great article
pimp.gif

This reminded me why I can't stand it when people are prejudice towards Muslims, people are just out right ignorant.

This is a great article
pimp.gif

This reminded me why I can't stand it when people are prejudice towards Muslims, people are just out right ignorant.

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Originally Posted by whiterails

The thing about #2 is that Islam was spread by the sword, under the directive of it's founder, Muhammad, for the purpose of collecting tribute.
It's all well and good that the armies did so "humanely", but it doesn't change their intent.

Not trying to discredit the entire post, as the other 4 myths are indeed ridiculous, but still should be noted.
As did every other empire in the history of the world. But the sole purpose was not to collect tribute, the main purpose was to spread the religion. Collecting tribute is a necessary part of maintaining an empire, as a mark of submission and allegiance, as well as to fund the central state. And the empire came to be under the Caliphates, not Muhammad.

And saying that Islam was spread by the sword is indeed true, but certainly not the only way it spread.
The best answer to this is offered by Hugh Kennedy: "Islam was not spread by the sword but without the sword it would not have spread."  If anyone wants to understand what he means by that, read this short 9 page paper: http://www.yale.edu/macmillan/rps/kennedy.pdf  Kennedy is professor at the University of London and an expert on the Arab conquests. He wrote a boring and long book on the subject.  The paper is from a Yale conference on religion and violence in 2008.

http://www.yale.edu/macmillan/rps/poster.htm

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Originally Posted by whiterails

The thing about #2 is that Islam was spread by the sword, under the directive of it's founder, Muhammad, for the purpose of collecting tribute.
It's all well and good that the armies did so "humanely", but it doesn't change their intent.

Not trying to discredit the entire post, as the other 4 myths are indeed ridiculous, but still should be noted.
As did every other empire in the history of the world. But the sole purpose was not to collect tribute, the main purpose was to spread the religion. Collecting tribute is a necessary part of maintaining an empire, as a mark of submission and allegiance, as well as to fund the central state. And the empire came to be under the Caliphates, not Muhammad.

And saying that Islam was spread by the sword is indeed true, but certainly not the only way it spread.
The best answer to this is offered by Hugh Kennedy: "Islam was not spread by the sword but without the sword it would not have spread."  If anyone wants to understand what he means by that, read this short 9 page paper: http://www.yale.edu/macmillan/rps/kennedy.pdf  Kennedy is professor at the University of London and an expert on the Arab conquests. He wrote a boring and long book on the subject.  The paper is from a Yale conference on religion and violence in 2008.

http://www.yale.edu/macmillan/rps/poster.htm

This is a great article
pimp.gif

this

This is a great article
pimp.gif

this

Only fully read number one, but stopped after that, for one burqas are a cultural thing not a religious thing, but the fact that they used France as their example of how few muslims wear it there is ******ed seeing as France made it illegal to do so....

Didn't find any pint readying any of the other things I probably believe, since don't actually believe any of them.

Back
Top Bottom