$7k Air Jordan Scam?

Originally Posted by eltouha

btw: just checked, mrmar hasn't posted on nt since july last year.

Exactly why he doesn't care. (text) I hope they recover their bread. And don't worry bout the haters op... Ur doin the right thing. Unauthentic is Unauthentic. Bottom line.

Originally Posted by donttalkitlivit

Exactly why he doesn't care. (text) I hope they recover their bread. And don't worry bout the haters op... Ur doin the right thing. Unauthentic is Unauthentic. Bottom line.
When he was a collector, he was part of the solution as evidenced by his role in the screech/lu scam and his blog post identifying fake XChi45s on ebay.
Now that he no longer collects, he could care less and unfortunately appears to have become part of the problem.

There's always a problem wit dudes who have rare jordans. i think air23air had a problem. then it was that crap wit pat and steve, now this guy mr mar. i can't say who should be blamed but this is what I have noticed. if you have a rare collection it's not even worth posting because people will start crap and all sorts of stuff happens. just crazy.

Originally Posted by BIGBEN1986

There's always a problem wit dudes who have rare jordans. i think air23air had a problem. then it was that crap wit pat and steve, now this guy mr mar. i can't say who should be blamed but this is what I have noticed. if you have a rare collection it's not even worth posting because people will start crap and all sorts of stuff happens. just crazy.

What are the other problems you were reffering too?

See this is the thing. I've been accused of scamming before and it is what it is.  I have a great resume with many NTers.. but ONE dude who was a newbie accused me of scamming and NT loves a good story so they get behind it.  I didnt stop posting until I was banned because I knew I didnt scam the dude.  I have been on here for over 10 years and have no reason to scam a kid, grown up or fellow NTer.
But when a dude stops posting and has certain things that are fishy I get it.  But hey.. I understand and know NT.. its where Drama lives and breeds.  People love the next new story or whatever.  Hopefully the dude wasn;t done wrong.. or the situation is corrected.

Lolblackpeople you are really off to a terrible start on this site as far as I'm concerned. This is absolutely none of your business. Your telling me a buyer spent $7k and did no homework first? Why wait until after to ask you to make sure his purchase was legit? This has nothing to do with trying to help NT out. 99.9% of us will never be buying $7k shoes, and those of us that do should be doing their own background check. Let the buyer and seller resolve this on their own. Your a newb in this PE game. I. Have already told you in a pm that these types of deals and prices should be discussed in private and here you go putting a knowledgeable pe collector on blast. Know your role newb.

Originally Posted by dankenstien88

400648913.jpg

My popcorn is ready.
This gonna get very INTERESTING!!!!!

Originally Posted by NikeDealer

See this is the thing. I've been accused of scamming before and it is what it is.  I have a great resume with many NTers.. but ONE dude who was a newbie accused me of scamming and NT loves a good story so they get behind it.  I didnt stop posting until I was banned because I knew I didnt scam the dude.  I have been on here for over 10 years and have no reason to scam a kid, grown up or fellow NTer.
But when a dude stops posting and has certain things that are fishy I get it.  But hey.. I understand and know NT.. its where Drama lives and breeds.  People love the next new story or whatever.  Hopefully the dude wasn;t done wrong.. or the situation is corrected.
"NikeTalk, it's where Drama lives and breeds." - NikeDealer

Originally Posted by BOMB SQUAD RECORDS

Lolblackpeople you are really off to a terrible start on this site as far as I'm concerned. This is absolutely none of your business. Your telling me a buyer spent $7k and did no homework first? Why wait until after to ask you to make sure his purchase was legit? This has nothing to do with trying to help NT out. 99.9% of us will never be buying $7k shoes, and those of us that do should be doing their own background check. Let the buyer and seller resolve this on their own. Your a newb in this PE game. I. Have already told you in a pm that these types of deals and prices should be discussed in private and here you go putting a knowledgeable pe collector on blastKnow your role newb.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I can't stop laughing. 

- "You're a newb in this PE game." -BOMB SQUAD RECORDS

- "Know your role, newb!" - BOMB SQUAD RECORDS

I'm just being real with the guy. He is trying to come out the gate at 100 mph when he needs to pace himself. I really think it was none of his business to post this. Why not have the buyer post himself? Besides the shoes are 100% real so why do we give a damn about anything else?

HE should have known there was something wrong.. i mean Mike bought them from someone secondhand, but showed him a document with HIS name? Dude didn't think/research/KNOW HIS INFO before he dropped 7k on some kicks?

Contact the Bulls Foundation. They would have record of this somewhere. Also, the letter was dated 2004 but only has 4 championships listed? "c'mon man"

I can't laugh hard enough.
I mean NOBODY i know would give a crap about me having a pair of $7000.00 shoes.
Who is he trying to impress????
Is he gonna go to a club and try to pull a bird with the line "HI, WANNA COME BACK TO MY PLACE AND SEE MY $7000.00 JORDANS"?????
I said it before and i'll say it again. SUCKED IN.
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by airBOZretroIII

I can't laugh hard enough.
I mean NOBODY i know would give a crap about me having a pair of $7000.00 shoes.
Who is he trying to impress????
Is he gonna go to a club and try to pull a bird with the line "HI, WANNA COME BACK TO MY PLACE AND SEE MY $7000.00 JORDANS"?????
I said it before and i'll say it again. SUCKED IN.
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
I don't mean to sidetrack this, but so what?

FTR, I don't think sports memorabilia collecting is all that sensible - and that's ostensibly what rare PE collecting is - it's sports memorabilia collecting as much, if not more than, sneaker collection. That said, that's just my opinion. You seem to imply that the only reason to do something is if others care/appreciate it. That's the complete backwards way of looking at it. You do your hobby for you -for your own satisfaction and fulfillment. By your logic, I shouldn't even be into sneakers because outside of the message boards, nobody I know cares at all about sneakers. ...Okay, I have 1 friend who kind of cares, but the point is that very few of my personal interests are of any interest to my peer group. So, because of that, my interests are worthless? Doesn't make any sense.

Originally Posted by nickfairclough

Originally Posted by lolblackpeople

Originally Posted by ekhunter1

ya i guess you right, lil dramatic tho!

Just presented the facts bro.  People are free to draw their own conclusions.
Personally, I believe "LOLBLACKPEOPLE" approached the subject in a professional manner.  He did NOT accuse "MRMARR" of any wrong doing (as far as the thread is structured).  He merely stated the Facts as he sees them.  If I have read the thread correctly "LOLBLACKPEOPLE" attempted to contact "MRMARR" for an explanation and to clear any confusion regarding the Chicago Bulls / Charitibulls Letter of Authenticity.  "MRMARR" is free to contribute to the conversation and clear his name and reputation.  In the end, the NikeTalk community will be the Judge, Jury, and executioner. 
I'm doing my best to disregard his absolutely absurd and in-need-of-being-banned screen name. I wouldn't say he's been perfectly "professional." The problem I see is that he certainly went through the effort of protecting the identity of others but not protecting Mr. Mar's. I understand that certain of his points are legitimized by doing that. It's important for raising suspicions that the letter was addressed to Mr. Mar if the counternarrative implies that the authenticity of the letter is beyond Mr. Mar's control because he bought them second-hand. Phase 2x offers an alternative possible explanation, and while that is probably less likely than the OP's contention, which is basically Occam's Razor, the truth is still unknown Nobody really knows and therefore alternative explanations are also plausible - especially in the collective. Also, if he has evidence of communication with Mr. Mar, I guess it's in his interest to show that and confirm that he is actually talking to Mr. Mar. NT would probably be skeptical of believing this otherwise. But, still it's kind of over the top to identify this person to a large group - most of whom don't need to know - and in advance of any consensus opinion by those in a position to know.

Bomb Squad's point is kind of valid too. This isn't exactly a public service. This is NT-celebrity gossip that may nor may not be true. Most people will never be in the market for $7K pair of shoes, so the vast majority of this board will never have to be "protected" from Mr. Mar. This discussion can be had in private by the small group to which this is truly relevant. That's the group who will ultimately determine the outcome because those are the people who will or will not buy these pairs in the future. If, and when, those people decide that Mr. Mar was a scammer, THEN it's fair to shame him publicly,. The opinions of random 16-year-old NTers are completely irrelevant here. That said, if he did list them on ebay, the sale - or attempted sale - did exist in the public space, so citing their price is just info in the public domain.

Also, I'm not sure it's Jeff Schultz's responsibility to do anything. And, OP just typed out an email from this guy and we're supposed to take his word that's legit. All the commenters who are like, just call Jeff and have him figure this out. As if the Bulls Communications Executives don't have anything better to do than to arbitrate a feud among e-celebs on a sneaker message board...

Finally, collecting sports memorabilia, rare sneakers, draft manuscripts of books/films, etc. comes with its own element of risk. You are almost always taking a chance because it's the distance from the public behind these items that makes them so rare, desirable, and valuable in the first place. So, all these people claiming - I'd kill him, etc. basically just show their own naivete. It's obvious those who speak like that are not in a position to be part of the culture anyway. If you don't accept and recognize the inherent risk here, that's your own fault. People have to do research and feel comfortable is what they are buying, and be strong enough to just walk away if their burdens of proof aren't met. This doesn't justify the actions of a scammer by any means. It's just that in this realm, establishing legitimacy, etc. isn't always as simple and clear-cut as the most recent GR. In fact, that's why the LOA boosts the value of a shoe so much.   
Originally Posted by BIGBEN1986

This is true too. Anything that gets this cutthroat will attract its share of scammers and bring out the worst in people. But, even when people are on the up and up - this is celebrity culture like I stated above. These people are NT celebs and the way people act is a microcosm of the way society treats celebs. They (NT) builds these people up to be way more important/greater than they deserve to be or really are, only so we can bask in our own faux self-righteousness by tearing them down in the future. Sometimes the subject "deserve it" and play into everything and other times they are basically just the victims of the mass's desire to make themselves feel good.

I'd like to take a moment to address an issue brought forth by BIP Roberts:

Why was MrMar's identity not protected like the buyer's?

The buyer is a private collector and as far as I know is not even a member of NT - his identity deserves to be protected as he is the victim here.  It is MrMar's actions that are under question in this matter.  MrMar is/was a very PUBLIC collector and voice in the hobby.  He has/had a website and a blog for all to see:

http://mrmar23.webs.com/

http://mrmar23.blogspot.com/

The shoes in question, along with several others were offered in a very public sale (ebay):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110787485988

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eB...Q:US:1123#ht_4848wt_1167

This thread is one of PUBLIC interest involving one of the larger name in the hobby - over 5 pages of Niketalk user responses serves as confirmation.  Aside from it being a story of public interest, it also serves to protect and warn potential future buyers.  As far as I know, MrMar still has items for sale including another item with a Bulls LOA (xiii low).  Here is a price list only a few weeks old:

1. AJ I TYPS ds with sig. 6000$ (2 pairs)
2. AJ II gamer sig. 2200$
3. AJ IV gamer dual sig 4500$
4. AJ V gamer "23" Pe dual sigs 5000$
5. AJ X shadow 45 gamers UDA sig 7000$(hold pending funds)
6. AJ X cleat ds. 2200$
7. AJ XI bred ds mj Pe. 1000$
8. AJ XI concord gamer dual sig 5000$(sold)
9. AJ XI cool grey wizards Pe. 800$
10. AJ XIII low playoff worn dual sigs 5000$
11.AJ XIII black white Pe 500$
12. AJ XIII white red dual sig 2200$ (sold)

That's great, he of the worst SN in the history of Niketalk.

None of it actually addresses my points though. Who cares that this gets 5+ pages of views, that doesn't mean it's of public interest any more than the ratings of Kim and Kourtney Take Manhattan mean that the activities of the Kardashians are in national interest. People will always flock to see prurient details of celebrity culture and rumor - that isn't evidence of anything.

And, Mr. Mar was public, but his identity was. You showing me those websites is like me showing you pics of Banksy's street art or JA's Videograff appearance in order to justify dry snitching - like, see, they're public... Not the same. You outed his government. He was not public like that. Don't pretend you're too obtuse to understand the difference.

Finally, re: the list, like I said the who's who of the sneaker collecting hobby is a pretty small and incestuous group. You could have accomplished the "warning" by PM-ing those who "need to know." So, is this a public service? In a very broad sense, but you're also using a chainsaw when a scalpel would suffice.

ALL THAT SAID, if there is consensus among the "inner circle," then this man deserves all the public shaming coming his way. But, until that matter is decided, you're posting rumors and doing the non-criminal equivalent of dry snitching. I'm not trying to protect Mr. Mar, I don't know him from a hole in the wall and don't move in his circle. I just think that posting somebody's real identity on the internet, especially when you are accusing him of being a thief and putting his personal finances on blast is no small matter, so you better be damned sure it's "deserved" before doing so. From the reactions of the others in the group, it doesn't seem like you fully vetted your decision.

You want to know how you probably sound to a lot of the board? You're a dude who may have been in the exclusive PE game for a minute, but you're not known here, at least by this name. Then, you drop a bomb like this without the support of the network of other exclusive PE collectors - claiming it's in the public interest when it doesn't apply to more than 99% of the NT community. So, it looks like you're trying to high post for e-props. Basically, just broadcasting to as many people as possible that you are "somebody" in the sneaker hobby. Well, congrats, NT knows you have Mr. Mar's phone number and that you're willing throw big money around on sneakers. But, the people you are trying to appeal to don't respect the way you behaved, so what have you gained?

I understand you are in a tough spot, and if your position is screw everybody and massacre all the sacred cows - hey, get yours. Iconoclasts don't make a lot of friends though, so if you don't care about stepping on toes, be prepared for others to stomp back right on yours. If you're just merely trying to be constructive, then perhaps you should try to be more measured.

That's all. I'm not involved and already said too much. I'll leave the rest of this discussion to those more directly involved. 

Worst SN in the history of NT.

That's one man's opinion, others have told me its the best in the history of NT.

A story of public interest isn't evidence of anything.

Obviously, and I'm not making that claim.  I am simply stating a reason for posting the sordid details and making it public.

Consensus among the inner circle....

Trust me, I don't need the permission of the "inner circle" to post or to comment on anything here on NT.  

Post is simply about making a name for myself.

Laughable that you've gone this far off topic and have chosen to attack and engage the OP instead of commenting/examining the the situation involving MrMar.

Back
Top Bottom