Originally Posted by datprepboivinc3

Originally Posted by ohdannyboy

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

laugh.gif

I like how the white kids come in and say "100% agree" "agree 100%"
laugh.gif
Well, I'm black and I agree 100% with what he said
Make that 2x

He has a point about there not being enough emphasis on education...and how people of previous generations fought for the opportunities some folks take for granted 
honestly, you know theres folks around the way who cop 500 kanye west lv's sneakers, mind you their lights about to get cutoff. 
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by BTK

Originally Posted by biff lawson

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Make that 2x

He has a point about there not being enough emphasis on education...and how people of previous generations fought for the opportunities some folks take for granted 
honestly, you know theres folks around the way who cop 500 kanye west lv's sneakers, mind you their lights about to get cutoff. 
indifferent.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]x 5 .. Cosby has an excellent point, actually, that's exactly how I feel [/color]
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by BTK

Originally Posted by biff lawson

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Make that 2x

indifferent.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]x 5 .. Cosby has an excellent point, actually, that's exactly how I feel [/color]
laugh.gif

eh i dont see why he was attacking kids for wearing their hats backward. it's called a style.

eh i dont see why he was attacking kids for wearing their hats backward. it's called a style.

Essential, where are you getting that the dropout rate is 9.9%? According to the latest studies and articles, it is over 50% and as high as 72% in NYC. Now yes I am smart enough to know that the vast majority of black studies and generalizations are very exaggerated which is why I wanted to read from your source.

Point is, nobody really has a problem with "hearing about themselves," but you always question the motives of someone who does it while offering no solution, while being guilty of many of the same things they berate others for (his son's name is Ennis), and when you are on Fox News and Meet the Press passing your message to 99% white audiences, you really do come off as someone who is pandering to white people, aka sucking up, by coming off as someone with an unfavorable disposition to black people. See kats like Jesse Lee Patterson for another example of this phenomenon. Furthermore, who would take advice from someone who seems to not like or respect them anyways? That's no way to lea.d

Guys like Cornell West, Lamont Smith, and of course Michael Eric Dyson to name a few have been talking black progression for yrs, some of the same types of messages, and never came off the same way

Essential, where are you getting that the dropout rate is 9.9%? According to the latest studies and articles, it is over 50% and as high as 72% in NYC. Now yes I am smart enough to know that the vast majority of black studies and generalizations are very exaggerated which is why I wanted to read from your source.

Point is, nobody really has a problem with "hearing about themselves," but you always question the motives of someone who does it while offering no solution, while being guilty of many of the same things they berate others for (his son's name is Ennis), and when you are on Fox News and Meet the Press passing your message to 99% white audiences, you really do come off as someone who is pandering to white people, aka sucking up, by coming off as someone with an unfavorable disposition to black people. See kats like Jesse Lee Patterson for another example of this phenomenon. Furthermore, who would take advice from someone who seems to not like or respect them anyways? That's no way to lea.d

Guys like Cornell West, Lamont Smith, and of course Michael Eric Dyson to name a few have been talking black progression for yrs, some of the same types of messages, and never came off the same way

If I was him I'd just worry about helping those that want the help and praying for the rest. I understand where he's coming from but it's falling on deaf ears.

There's so many kids in black america that are talented and do want to rise above, I feel like it's a waste of time crying about "We need to do better" and worrying about thugs and welfare moms. If we all play our part and try our best to help those we have influence over, then things can grudually improve for us as a people.

If I was him I'd just worry about helping those that want the help and praying for the rest. I understand where he's coming from but it's falling on deaf ears.

There's so many kids in black america that are talented and do want to rise above, I feel like it's a waste of time crying about "We need to do better" and worrying about thugs and welfare moms. If we all play our part and try our best to help those we have influence over, then things can grudually improve for us as a people.

This

SOURCE: U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics. (2010). The Condition of Education 2010 (NCES 2010-028), Indicator 20.
[table][tr][td]Status dropout rates of 16- through 24-year-olds, by race/ethnicity: Selected years, 1980-2008[/td][/tr][tr][td]Year[/td][td]Total[sup]1[/sup][/td][td]Race/ethnicity[sup]2[/sup][/td][/tr][tr][td]White[/td][td]Black[/td][td]Hispanic[/td][td]Asian/Pacific Islander[/td][td]American Indian/Alaska Native[/td][/tr][tr][td]1980[/td][td]14.1[/td][td]11.4[/td][td]19.1[/td][td]35.2[/td][td]—[/td][td]—[/td][/tr][tr][td]1985[/td][td]12.6[/td][td]10.4[/td][td]15.2[/td][td]27.6[/td][td]—[/td][td]—[/td][/tr][tr][td]1990[/td][td]12.1[/td][td]9.0[/td][td]13.2[/td][td]32.4[/td][td]4.9![/td][td]16.4![/td][/tr][tr][td]1995[/td][td]12.0[/td][td]8.6[/td][td]12.1![/td][td]30.0[/td][td]3.9[/td][td]13.4![/td][/tr][tr][td]1998[/td][td]11.8[/td][td]7.7[/td][td]13.8[/td][td]29.5[/td][td]4.1[/td][td]11.8[/td][/tr][tr][td]2000[/td][td]10.9[/td][td]6.9[/td][td]13.1[/td][td]27.8[/td][td]3.8[/td][td]14.0[/td][/tr][tr][td]2001[/td][td]10.7[/td][td]7.3[/td][td]10.9[/td][td]27.0[/td][td]3.6[/td][td]13.1[/td][/tr][tr][td]2002[/td][td]10.5[/td][td]6.5[/td][td]11.3[/td][td]25.7[/td][td]3.9[/td][td]16.8[/td][/tr][tr][td]2003[/td][td]9.9[/td][td]6.3[/td][td]10.9![/td][td]23.5[/td][td]3.9[/td][td]15.0[/td][/tr][tr][td]2004[/td][td]10.3[/td][td]6.8[/td][td]11.8[/td][td]23.8[/td][td]3.6[/td][td]17.0[/td][/tr][tr][td]2005[/td][td]9.4[/td][td]6.0[/td][td]10.4![/td][td]22.4[/td][td]2.9[/td][td]14.0[/td][/tr][tr][td]2006[/td][td]9.3[/td][td]5.8[/td][td]10.7[/td][td]22.1[/td][td]3.6[/td][td]14.7[/td][/tr][tr][td]2007[/td][td]8.7[/td][td]5.3[/td][td]8.4[/td][td]21.4[/td][td]6.1[/td][td]19.3[/td][/tr][tr][td]2008[/td][td]8.0[/td][td]4.8[/td][td]9.9[/td][td]18.3[/td][td]4.4[/td][td]14.6[/td][/tr][/table]
The 1993 status dropout rate was:7.9 percent for white students, compared to 13.6 percent for black students and 27.5 percent for Hispanic students

http://www.childtrendsdat...df/1_PDF.pdf   (2006  11%)

This

SOURCE: U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics. (2010). The Condition of Education 2010 (NCES 2010-028), Indicator 20.
[table][tr][td]Status dropout rates of 16- through 24-year-olds, by race/ethnicity: Selected years, 1980-2008[/td][/tr][tr][td]Year[/td][td]Total[sup]1[/sup][/td][td]Race/ethnicity[sup]2[/sup][/td][/tr][tr][td]White[/td][td]Black[/td][td]Hispanic[/td][td]Asian/Pacific Islander[/td][td]American Indian/Alaska Native[/td][/tr][tr][td]1980[/td][td]14.1[/td][td]11.4[/td][td]19.1[/td][td]35.2[/td][td]—[/td][td]—[/td][/tr][tr][td]1985[/td][td]12.6[/td][td]10.4[/td][td]15.2[/td][td]27.6[/td][td]—[/td][td]—[/td][/tr][tr][td]1990[/td][td]12.1[/td][td]9.0[/td][td]13.2[/td][td]32.4[/td][td]4.9![/td][td]16.4![/td][/tr][tr][td]1995[/td][td]12.0[/td][td]8.6[/td][td]12.1![/td][td]30.0[/td][td]3.9[/td][td]13.4![/td][/tr][tr][td]1998[/td][td]11.8[/td][td]7.7[/td][td]13.8[/td][td]29.5[/td][td]4.1[/td][td]11.8[/td][/tr][tr][td]2000[/td][td]10.9[/td][td]6.9[/td][td]13.1[/td][td]27.8[/td][td]3.8[/td][td]14.0[/td][/tr][tr][td]2001[/td][td]10.7[/td][td]7.3[/td][td]10.9[/td][td]27.0[/td][td]3.6[/td][td]13.1[/td][/tr][tr][td]2002[/td][td]10.5[/td][td]6.5[/td][td]11.3[/td][td]25.7[/td][td]3.9[/td][td]16.8[/td][/tr][tr][td]2003[/td][td]9.9[/td][td]6.3[/td][td]10.9![/td][td]23.5[/td][td]3.9[/td][td]15.0[/td][/tr][tr][td]2004[/td][td]10.3[/td][td]6.8[/td][td]11.8[/td][td]23.8[/td][td]3.6[/td][td]17.0[/td][/tr][tr][td]2005[/td][td]9.4[/td][td]6.0[/td][td]10.4![/td][td]22.4[/td][td]2.9[/td][td]14.0[/td][/tr][tr][td]2006[/td][td]9.3[/td][td]5.8[/td][td]10.7[/td][td]22.1[/td][td]3.6[/td][td]14.7[/td][/tr][tr][td]2007[/td][td]8.7[/td][td]5.3[/td][td]8.4[/td][td]21.4[/td][td]6.1[/td][td]19.3[/td][/tr][tr][td]2008[/td][td]8.0[/td][td]4.8[/td][td]9.9[/td][td]18.3[/td][td]4.4[/td][td]14.6[/td][/tr][/table]
The 1993 status dropout rate was:7.9 percent for white students, compared to 13.6 percent for black students and 27.5 percent for Hispanic students

http://www.childtrendsdat...df/1_PDF.pdf   (2006  11%)

High school drop-out rate in major US cities at nearly 50 percent

and

Large Urban-Suburban Gap Seen in Graduation Rates
Now, however, a nationwide study shows the magnitude of the gap: the average high school graduation rate in the nation’s 50 largest cities was 53 percent, compared with 71 percent in the suburbs... For decades, high school graduation rates were routinely overstated in official statistics, with the Department of Education putting the nation’s rate above 80 percent and some states reporting rates above 90 percent. Behind the false data were a host of faulty reporting methods, including labeling dropouts who obtained G.E.D. certificates as graduates....

Like anything, seems like you just decide what you want to believe, and you can find a "credible" source backing you up. Anecdotely, I'd be lead to believe closer to what you posted, but apparently all of my black experiences are far above average and completely polar to what is considered the norm. Frankly, I think in my whole life I can think of like 7 dropouts I know. And I have been around the military all my life, so it's tons of black people, not like it's a limited frame of reference in terms of quantity.

High school drop-out rate in major US cities at nearly 50 percent

and

Large Urban-Suburban Gap Seen in Graduation Rates
Now, however, a nationwide study shows the magnitude of the gap: the average high school graduation rate in the nation’s 50 largest cities was 53 percent, compared with 71 percent in the suburbs... For decades, high school graduation rates were routinely overstated in official statistics, with the Department of Education putting the nation’s rate above 80 percent and some states reporting rates above 90 percent. Behind the false data were a host of faulty reporting methods, including labeling dropouts who obtained G.E.D. certificates as graduates....

Like anything, seems like you just decide what you want to believe, and you can find a "credible" source backing you up. Anecdotely, I'd be lead to believe closer to what you posted, but apparently all of my black experiences are far above average and completely polar to what is considered the norm. Frankly, I think in my whole life I can think of like 7 dropouts I know. And I have been around the military all my life, so it's tons of black people, not like it's a limited frame of reference in terms of quantity.

Think of it this way......

If I have a school of 1,000 black students in an inner city... At the end of 4 years only 470 of them graduate..  

Think of it this way......

If I have a school of 1,000 black students in an inner city... At the end of 4 years only 470 of them graduate..  

I agree with Bill Cosby and the solution is Steve Harvey's argument. His argument is that his (Harvey's) generation didn't do a good enough job parenting the next generation and it trickled down getting worse and worse.

I agree with Bill Cosby and the solution is Steve Harvey's argument. His argument is that his (Harvey's) generation didn't do a good enough job parenting the next generation and it trickled down getting worse and worse.

^

I think what his point is, even though he went about it in a straight forward and ineffective manner, is that parenting is what it boils down to. How can one be an effective parent when having multiple children and not having the means to provide one with a meaningful quality of life? Then again where does it start? Teenage mother, doesn't know better gives birth to kids who become gang members or teenage mothers. It's a terrible situation.

^

I think what his point is, even though he went about it in a straight forward and ineffective manner, is that parenting is what it boils down to. How can one be an effective parent when having multiple children and not having the means to provide one with a meaningful quality of life? Then again where does it start? Teenage mother, doesn't know better gives birth to kids who become gang members or teenage mothers. It's a terrible situation.

It's easy to blam the youth and the parents, but what could/would you do if you were enslaved for generations and "set free" with barely any idea about who you are and what you are to be doing in this world? What about families that have pretty much always been low income families and never had anyone to excel and make it in corporate America? The enslavement was more than physical, it was also mental and a mental issue is a tough thing to deal with.

I don't agree with Bill, but some of what you're saying is complete nonsense. Don't get me wrong, children coming from low income families (categorizes many black people growing up) are at a significant systematic disadvantage from birth that they should never be faced with, but it's far from impossible to achieve some level of success and then build on that in to the future generations. There are many completely broke people that come to America (or are born there) and work extremely hard so their children can be well fed and go on to have great success in their own lives. Look at Asian Americans specifically and their average income, it's because their parents worked so hard to get them to where they're at now. They were suppressed mentally and had no corporate examples in their families, but they did something about it. I realize the poor Asians coming over are usually the hardest workers from their country and many people from their home countries are still poor; however, that doesn't negate the fact that one can work hard and eventually benefit from it in the US. 

Again I'm not saying this is fair, poor black people should not have to work twice as hard to receive, often, twice as little. But laws probably won't change for the better anytime soon. Instead of making excuses, or waiting for some magical leader to give all black people 40 acres, poor black people can progress by making major sacrifices through hard work, for the benefit of future generations. The black people that believed their struggles were over decades ago were clearly deceived, a new struggle just began that many black people weren't immediately aware of. It's unfortunate that black people have to correct an issue on their own that they did not create, but the only person that cares about you is yourself and your family, it's extremely unlikely anything will change unless poor black people are willing to work extremely hard in a legal manner. However, I can understand the people that chose not to, or try to make money illegally. I probably would too...

It's easy to blam the youth and the parents, but what could/would you do if you were enslaved for generations and "set free" with barely any idea about who you are and what you are to be doing in this world? What about families that have pretty much always been low income families and never had anyone to excel and make it in corporate America? The enslavement was more than physical, it was also mental and a mental issue is a tough thing to deal with.

I don't agree with Bill, but some of what you're saying is complete nonsense. Don't get me wrong, children coming from low income families (categorizes many black people growing up) are at a significant systematic disadvantage from birth that they should never be faced with, but it's far from impossible to achieve some level of success and then build on that in to the future generations. There are many completely broke people that come to America (or are born there) and work extremely hard so their children can be well fed and go on to have great success in their own lives. Look at Asian Americans specifically and their average income, it's because their parents worked so hard to get them to where they're at now. They were suppressed mentally and had no corporate examples in their families, but they did something about it. I realize the poor Asians coming over are usually the hardest workers from their country and many people from their home countries are still poor; however, that doesn't negate the fact that one can work hard and eventually benefit from it in the US. 

Again I'm not saying this is fair, poor black people should not have to work twice as hard to receive, often, twice as little. But laws probably won't change for the better anytime soon. Instead of making excuses, or waiting for some magical leader to give all black people 40 acres, poor black people can progress by making major sacrifices through hard work, for the benefit of future generations. The black people that believed their struggles were over decades ago were clearly deceived, a new struggle just began that many black people weren't immediately aware of. It's unfortunate that black people have to correct an issue on their own that they did not create, but the only person that cares about you is yourself and your family, it's extremely unlikely anything will change unless poor black people are willing to work extremely hard in a legal manner. However, I can understand the people that chose not to, or try to make money illegally. I probably would too...

Back
Top Bottom