African Descendants ✊🏿 Black People - Americas, Africa, Caribbean Culture Discussion

ATL is probably going to be a go for me, at least for a few years.

The air is just different here man... No matter where im at I feel like I belong every time im in the city.

It's something you don't realize the importance of until your housing and work has you surrounded by white and indian people damn near 24/7.

Feels good to be around my own on a regular basis and not subconsciously being hyper-aware of the way I present myself.

Only here a few more days for work though, I don't want to go back :smh:

From Seattle felt this way growing up moved to the east coast. DC /bmore just felt different I didn't have to worry about certain common issues out here.

I’m curious.
haven’t WE ALL come from Africa? That’s literally where civilization started

we aren’t going back to 20,000 years ago. Yes, all human life originated from Africa. However, let’s be real with ourselves and stop using that as an excuse to permit certain behavior.

I was watching a video and a Chinese guy was asked whythe government of China is trying to take over certain countries in Africa and his reason was “we are all from Africa originally, so it’s ok” 😐

also, I’m not going into a European or Arab thread and telling them “yo we are all the same, so let’s stop the division” what belongs to you belongs to you, what belongs to me belongs to me.

I’m curious.
no, no we don't.
while life started in Africa, certain groups have historically and continue to do nothing but rape the continent of its resources including its ppl.
the historical and continued oppression and suppression of africans on and off of the continent is more than enough to throw that saying out of the window.

ppl love to throw that around but get quiet when ppl start talking about caves, the Caucasus mountains, colonization, enslavement of men, women and children, reparations, etc.

why is that?

I’m curious.

Ehhhhh - as with many things, its not that simple.

"Everyone living outside of Africa today has a small amount of Neanderthal in them, carried as a living relic of these ancient encounters. A team of scientists comparing the full genomes of the two species concluded that most Europeans and Asians have approximately 2 percent Neanderthal DNA. Indigenous sub-Saharan Africans have none, or very little Neanderthal DNA because their ancestors did not migrate through Eurasia."

"On one level, it’s not surprising that modern humans were able to interbreed with their close cousins. According to one theory, Neanderthals, Denisovans, and all modern humans are all descended from the ancient human Homo heidelbergensis. Between 500,000 to 600,000 years ago, an ancestral group of H. heidelbergensis left Africa and then split shortly after. One branch ventured northwestward into West Asia and Europe and became the Neanderthals. The other branch moved east, becoming Denisovans. By 250,000 years ago H. heidelbergensis in Africa had become Homo sapiens. Our modern human ancestors did not begin their own exodus from Africa until about 70,000 years ago, when they expanded into Eurasia and encountered their ancient cousins."

Ehhhhh - as with many things, its not that simple.

"Everyone living outside of Africa today has a small amount of Neanderthal in them, carried as a living relic of these ancient encounters. A team of scientists comparing the full genomes of the two species concluded that most Europeans and Asians have approximately 2 percent Neanderthal DNA. Indigenous sub-Saharan Africans have none, or very little Neanderthal DNA because their ancestors did not migrate through Eurasia."

"On one level, it’s not surprising that modern humans were able to interbreed with their close cousins. According to one theory, Neanderthals, Denisovans, and all modern humans are all descended from the ancient human Homo heidelbergensis. Between 500,000 to 600,000 years ago, an ancestral group of H. heidelbergensis left Africa and then split shortly after. One branch ventured northwestward into West Asia and Europe and became the Neanderthals. The other branch moved east, becoming Denisovans. By 250,000 years ago H. heidelbergensis in Africa had become Homo sapiens. Our modern human ancestors did not begin their own exodus from Africa until about 70,000 years ago, when they expanded into Eurasia and encountered their ancient cousins."

:rofl: thank goodness for you. i was in between having a strong urge to pulling something this up and not feeling like it and then potentially engaging in discussion it could result in.

DDC7013D-6A1B-4931-828A-20926BD2A7A7.jpeg

In 2018, the London-born actor previously told The Guardian about his frustrations with having to elaborate on complicated topics as if he speaks for all black people.

“I’m not a spokesperson, I’m an individual,” Kaluuya said at the time. “Who’s the spokesperson for white people? There isn’t one. No one’s expected to speak up for all white people. I’m just living my life. I’m a black man, I’m proud of it, but I’m just living my life.”

Back when Jordan Peele‘s Get Out took hold of the zeitgeist three years ago and brought issues of racism to the forefront, Kaluuya faced some criticism for playing the role that landed him an Oscar nomination.

When Samuel L. Jackson suggested at the time that Kaluuya wasn’t as suited for the role as African American actor might have been, Kaluuya responded by saying he resents having to “prove that I’m black.”

“When I’m around black people, I’m made to feel ‘other’ because I’m dark-skinned,” he told GQ at the time. “I’ve had to wrestle with that, with people going ‘You’re too black.’ Then I come to America and they say, ‘You’re not black enough.’ I go to Uganda, I can’t speak the language. In India, I’m black. In the black community, I’m dark-skinned. In America, I’m British. Bro!”

Kaluuya went on to reference the racism that he and other black people have experienced in England, including police violence similar to events that have taken place in the U.S., which he explores in his most recent movie Queen & Slim alongside British actress Jodie Turner-Smith.

“I really respect African American people. I just want to tell black stories,” he said. “This is the frustrating thing, bro — in order to prove that I can play this role, I have to open up about the trauma that I’ve experienced as a black person. I have to show off my struggle so that people accept that I’m black. No matter that every single room I go to, I’m usually the darkest person there. You know what I’m saying?”

He added: “I kind of resent that mentality. I’m just an individual.”

It's a rough divide that occurs in the Black community, one that does not allow understanding.

However, what needs to be taught is that there is NO COMPLIMENT while being looked upon as an acceptable Black man or woman, through a white supremacist lens.

STOP doing these genealogy tests. I'm going to keep posting this.

the lady did a great job explaining what dna is and she gave an example of a women who gave her cervical sample and didn’t get compensated for it.

I still tell people to take a dna test anonymously (like I did) so we can have a great and accurate idea of where our ancestry come from.

so go do a DNA test

And when you get charged higher insurance premiums or get denied coverage because of something in your genetics you'll be singing a different tune layziegunts layziegunts

And when you get charged higher insurance premiums or get denied coverage because of something in your genetics you'll be singing a different tune layziegunts layziegunts

huh?
You can do it anonymously

you forgot to read that part, also from my understanding only 23&me does that detailed one regarding health risk. Ancestry doesn’t

also keep mind YOU CAN ORDER KITS ANONYMOUSLY.

meaning when they analyze the saliva you sent back they have no clue who the saliva belongs to.

it’s like y’all ignoring what I’m saying

Data brokers can still match up anonymous metadata with an end user.

AI will make it much easier. You're giving these folks too much credit.

Data brokers can still match up anonymous metadata with an end user.

AI will make it much easier. You're giving these folks too much credit.

Bro you can order up to 5 kits at a time. My boy ordered 5 kits and I got one from it and just called it A.

they sent back the results for A and I was satisfied.

How can they trace that back to me if my information was nowhere there?

there are people who would like to know the details of their background and their are people who have conspiracy theories on what potentially could happen.

people the choice is yours 🤷🏾‍♂️

You don't think peoples mailing addresses are matched with their names?

I get it bro. You've outsmarted the system young Neo.
Forgive me for doubting your intelligence.

I get it bro. You've outsmarted the system young Neo.
Forgive me for doubting your intelligence.

I can sense your sarcasm from a mile away.

we get it you’re one of those conspiracy theory types that don’t live life because “the government is out to get you”

Back
Top Bottom