African Descendants ✊🏿 Black People - Americas, Africa, Caribbean Culture Discussion

The Atlantic literally wrote an article about how hard it is to be an Afrikaaner in South Africa. This is one of the most bizarre things I've seen written in a long time.

"Think of the plight of the white people and post slavery America."

Last edited:
That dude in the video kinda sounds like Ninjahood. The disconnect seems to stem from the term Black. This dude and people like him want it to mean one thing when everyone else describes Black differently.

There are black folks from the Caribbean and Africa that try to separate themselves from Black Americans and each other. It's no different from that ADOS bs.

No matter where you hail from, if you tryna separate the diaspora rather than embrace our differences within a cohesive whole, then you can kick rocks.

Fools don’t realize we’ve blended ALLLLLL the different characteristics of the diaspora. Jamaicans, are black, Haitians are black, just different cultures.

Charleston is an IDIOT. Because in America, we are BLACK. Whether from Africa or the islands. He talking all that nonsense but I bet he loves him some Jamaican cuisine. We are still one.

Fools don’t realize we’ve blended ALLLLLL the different characteristics of the diaspora. Jamaicans, are black, Haitians are black, just different cultures.

Charleston is an IDIOT. Because in America, we are BLACK. Whether from Africa or the islands. He talking all that nonsense but I bet he loves him some Jamaican cuisine. We are still one.

but…isn’t that the exact point he is talking to...cultural difference and the sort of ‘sovereignty’ of being from somewhere else. it is obviously not a distinction of degree but it is one of kind…

i would suppose the argument against that is that ultimately, ‘blackness’ & ‘whiteness’ in america does subsume all distinctions to the point that those distinctions eventually do cease/fade over the generations (with maybe some exception(s))…for all the achievement that many 1st & 2nd generation immigrants are praised for, subsequent generations do tend to regress to the mean, even moreso if the immigrants are ‘black’ but i don’t think most are coming from that angle rather they are actually, in a way, just advocating for the validity of generics like ‘black’ & ‘white’

Cats actively participating in divide and conquer :lol:

I created this thread because too many cats at one point was like "oh, Im a black American I have nothing to do with Africans and Caribbeans" this is a welcoming place for ALL BLACK PEOPLE REGARDLESS OF NATIONALITY.

If you black and of African descent this is for you, I cant deal with the pettiness man lol.

One dude was like how the different groups dont like each other, Im like where?!?!?! because here in NYC you go to any party you see black people hanging with black people, not Caribbeans over there, Africans over there, African-Americans over there.

Of course there are obvious difference but we are all literally the same thing. We like big booty women and dance to anything with a beat with drums. ITS LITERALLY IN OUR DNA.

Lets stop the pettiness guys

but…isn’t that the exact point he is talking to...cultural difference and the sort of ‘sovereignty’ of being from somewhere else. it is obviously not a distinction of degree but it is one of kind…

i would suppose the argument against that is that ultimately, ‘blackness’ & ‘whiteness’ in america does subsume all distinctions to the point that those distinctions eventually do cease/fade over the generations (with maybe some exception(s))…for all the achievement that many 1st & 2nd generation immigrants are praised for, subsequent generations do tend to regress to the mean, even moreso if the immigrants are ‘black’ but i don’t think most are coming from that angle rather they are actually, in a way, just advocating for the validity of generics like ‘black’ & ‘white’

He’s wrong though. It’s like Italians, germans, Irish, brits, etc…. They all have different CULTURES.

But in America, they’re all white IMO. It’s the same dynamic. If I see a white person in America, they’re white. Although they may be Russian, Greek, Italian or whatever. I still consider them white.

He’s calling people who’ve dealt with the “black experience in America” non-blacks. Which is absolutely false.

The girl said she’s “black” and he said “no, you’re Jamaican” it’s absolutely false. She’s still black, in the eyes of America. Again, culturally she’s Jamaican, or Caribbean. But once she crosses into America, she’s black as well.

And even though ethnically or culturally she’s Jamaica, she’s STILL proud enough to consider herself black. That says a lot about her confidence and her sense of pride. That’s commendable and gets respect from me off top. She’s not ashamed of being black. She spoke it with conviction

Last edited:
I created this thread because too many cats at one point was like "oh, Im a black American I have nothing to do with Africans and Caribbeans" this is a welcoming place for ALL BLACK PEOPLE REGARDLESS OF NATIONALITY.

If you black and of African descent this is for you, I cant deal with the pettiness man lol.

One dude was like how the different groups dont like each other, Im like where?!?!?! because here in NYC you go to any party you see black people hanging with black people, not Caribbeans over there, Africans over there, African-Americans over there.

Of course there are obvious difference but we are all literally the same thing. We like big booty women and dance to anything with a beat with drums. ITS LITERALLY IN OUR DNA.

Lets stop the pettiness guys

Well said

He’s wrong though. It’s like Italians, germans, Irish, brits, etc…. They all have different CULTURES.

But in America, they’re all white IMO. It’s the same dynamic. If I see a white person in America, they’re white. Although they may be Russian, Greek, Italian or whatever. I still consider them white.

He’s calling people who’ve dealt with the “black experience in America” non-blacks. Which is absolutely false.

The girl said she’s “black” and he said “no, you’re Jamaican” it’s absolutely false. She’s still black, in the eyes of America. Again, culturally she’s Jamaican, or Caribbean. But once she crosses into America, she’s black as well.

And even though ethnically or culturally she’s Jamaica, she’s STILL proud enough to consider herself black. That says a lot about her confidence and her sense of pride. That’s commendable and gets respect from me off top. She’s not ashamed of being black. She spoke it with conviction

he is being facetious, and she disingenuous…obviously she is is phenotypically black, but whatever jamaican values she was raised with culturally & the fact that she knows she is from there make her something different & that is not a slight to black americans or necessarily a special quality of her being jamaican/not black american…

yes, america has a way of acculturating people such that nuance of these distinctions get distilled down/simplified to ‘asian,’ ‘black,’ hispanic/latin,’ ‘white,’ etc. but why does that mean folk should accepted it? and why do some accept these generic terms at all?? remember there was a time when irish & italians we’re not & did not consider themselves ‘white,’ why did that change???

i’m not saying there is some fundamental static between ‘black’ people in the diaspora and obviously the distinction doesn’t insulate folk from outside perception but these distinctions do exists and just because american society will box folk in to something neat doesn’t remove context

Its crazy how much black people want to be everything except black or African, that's the biggest and first hurdle and it is to have a common identity. I met this Nation of Islam brother one time and he tried to get me to read this book about how we not Africans, but we "Asiatic black man" I told him get that **** outta my face.

Its crazy how much black people want to be everything except black or African, that's the biggest and first hurdle and it is to have a common identity. I met this Nation of Islam brother one time and he tried to get me to read this book about how we not Africans, but we "Asiatic black man" I told him get that **** outta my face.

what is the common identity, and why would it be necessary? to the point the charleston dude is kinda making, culture usually is the common identity that ties peoples together…people have their own identity outside of their ‘blackness’ and africa is a big place, so what does it mean to even be african beside skin color?

what is the common identity, and why would it be necessary? to the point the charleston dude is kinda making, culture usually is the common identity that ties peoples together…people have their own identity outside of their ‘blackness’ and africa is a big place, so what does it mean to even be african beside skin color?

We all like big booty black women right? Like if you heard a beat that slaps you know how to dance to it right? While other kind of people would look silly trying to dance to the rhythm?

Clearly colonization and enslavement divided us so we speak different languages and have different religion, but the DNA is still strong right ✊🏿

We all like big booty black women right? Like if you heard a beat that slaps you know how to dance to it right? While other kind of people would look silly trying to dance to the rhythm?

Clearly colonization and enslavement divided us so we speak different languages and have different religion, but the DNA is still strong right ✊🏿

I'm not making this statement to divide black people. But Africa is actually considered the most diverse continents on the planet by DNA analysis

The concept of race isn't scientific but unfortunately it is a reality we all have to deal with.

sure, but then we can’t turn around and lament the lack of unity or ‘common identity’ because the reality is being ‘black’ ain’t & will likely never be enough…

I'm currently reading this book

1658505006139.png

I'm only on chapter two, but I thought the way the idea of community was defined in the book could support some of the arguments made by the Jamaican woman:

16585258917078359613095162188461.jpg

Following the author's definition of "community," the book goes on to establish that Africans, who came from places with their own, distinctive cultural practices and concepts, navigated between identity layers in the colonial and antebellum US: the identity that exists in the presence of the dominant, white culture, (blackness), and the identity that exists away from white culture and within the diaspora (ethnicity/nationality). The first paragraphs of the book describe Vesey's failed insurrection in Charleston, in which slaves organized to challenge the mistreatment of all Black folks, but still set up their regiments according to their ethnic background (Igbo and Gullah).

I think the dispute occurs due to the use of the term black by African Americans to describe both identity layers in the US. When immigrants call themselves black, I think it's best understood - and correct - in the context of a dark-skinned person living in a white cultural context.

yo is it me or a lot of threads on NT has some serious incel type people. lol

I dont know why its just now hitting me, its a site for mainly guys to talk smack, but man I swear its only a few threads I can go into.

Very interesting thread about Mansa Musa:

Surely you must know this, but in West African culture, we have orators who tell our story (the griots). In general, the griots always sing in homage to the sovereigns of Manden. Everytime ! All the Mandinka sovereigns of all eras confounded in a song in his homage to tell his story. Samory Touré, Soundiata Keita, Sékou Ouattara, Monzon Diarra… Only one sovereign has no music in his homage, no griot song, and that person is Mansa Musa. Do you know why ? We wanted to erase him from collective memories due to the atrocity he committed during his lifetime vis-à-vis his people. As you know, knowledge was transmitted orally. It was enough not to try a name and that's it, it's like it never existed (his father Abu Bakr ll suffered the same thing) I don't know if you listen to traditional Mandinka music (I don't think so) but if you listen carefully you'll see that I'm right. Nobody mentions it. You can even check online.

Back
Top Bottom