Air Jordan 11 Retro- Black/Red “Playoff”- 12/14/2019

tint or no tint.. i'm in for a pair regardless

I hope the patent leather is more consistent compared to the last concord release. my 2018 concords are great, but I know some pairs had slightly different PL heights between the left and right shoe

Last edited:
I think the fact that the red tint was unintentional (and only evidenced on some of the OG pairs) is highly relevant to the real issue: whether or not the red hue was a defect. In my opinion it was, and as such, it’s no different than a glue stain.

If you like the look of the red tint - which I certainly don’t - that’s understandable. But if you want it simply for the sake of tradition, your reasoning places you in a strange position.

Incorporating original defects into retro reproductions would be problematic and unpopular in almost every other instance. I really don’t understand why there’s so much debate in this case.
And now we're to the stage where we're just making **** up to suit our feelings and preferences, eh?
The ONLY thing we know is that there were two production versions of the shoe, one with tint, one without. The other thing we supposedly "know" is that an NTer who supposedly knows Tinker (I'll take it at face value as fact) asked him about it and Tinker said it wasn't intentional on his part and he didn't know anything about it. How that equals the tint being a defect is beyond me. We don't know anything else about the time, place, methods, supply chain, product planning, decision making, materials selection, influence of product line managers, etc etc that went into producing the Air Jordan XI in 1995/1996.
I saw something strange in the night sky the other day. I have no idea what it was. Must have been aliens for sure, then. Because A+B definitely equals W. :rofl:

I always thought the red tint basically makes the otherwise jet black mesh look faded like it’s been sitting in the sun too long. I’m glad I don’t need it. I’ll go as far as to say that’s something I didn’t particularly like on the OGs that were in circulation that had it. It’s apparent some people are just itchin for this non issue to become another annoying contrast heel debacle.

Last edited:
The most interesting question is how the heck does a factory accidentally produce a red tint on black mesh? Someone accidentally dump the red die from the outsole onto a stack of mesh?

The most interesting question is how the heck does a factory accidentally produce a red tint on black mesh? Someone accidentally dump the red die from the outsole onto a stack of mesh?

89D0F515-E6F4-451F-B72B-7B48EE6B3348.jpeg

I always thought the red tint basically makes the otherwise jet black mesh look faded like it’s been sitting in the sun too long. I’m glad I don’t need it. I’ll go as far as to say that’s something I didn’t particularly like on the OGs that were in circulation that had it. It’s apparent some people are just itchin for this non issue to become another annoying contrast heel debacle.
Its just something to talk about. Im not getting too high or low about it but its much better than "in for 3" or "copped xs 4" comments that I know everyone has to be intrigued by. If you look back a few pages. It simply started with an observation of maybe seeing the detail discussed. Then it blew up with people just wanting to go on about how stupid it was. Then got turned into people complaining. No one complained. I dont think one person said if its not there "Im out". It was just pointed out and a couple agreed and it turned into all this. Can true conversation really go on anymore? Or does it always have to lead into arguments because the other dont see it the way they do. These are black and red XIs guys. Enjoy the release. Talk about it. Tell a story. Show a picture, a memory, somthin.

Its just something to talk about. Im not getting too high or low about it but its much better than "in for 3" or "copped xs 4" comments that I know everyone has to be intrigued by. If you look back a few pages. It simply started with an observation of maybe seeing the detail discussed. Then it blew up with people just wanting to go on about how stupid it was. Then got turned into people complaining. No one complained. I dont think one person said if its not there "Im out". It was just pointed out and a couple agreed and it turned into all this. Can true conversation really go on anymore? Or does it always have to lead into arguments because the other dont see it the way they do. These are black and red XIs guys. Enjoy the release. Talk about it. Tell a story. Show a picture, a memory, somthin.

Never said people shouldn’t discuss what they want. I don’t own this thread. People are free to do as they wish it don’t have ish to do with me.

I chalk it up to different/separate sourcing of materials ordered by China factories vs Taiwan factories during that production run. Who knows.

Is the cordura mesh made by cordura or not? I doubt the tint was a mistake if so. Nor is it a defect. They make all kinds of colors and tints. If you made the weave out of a mix of 90 percent strands of black and 10 red youd prob end up with something that looks like the red tint on ogs. Its not a hard thing to do

I chalk it up to different/separate sourcing of materials ordered by China factories vs Taiwan factories during that production run. Who knows.

Thats exactly what it was.. they didn't purposefully do this to the shoe. Especially in 96 where nearly everything was for performance. It was some old wonky fabric and it ended up looking decent on the ones that had it. Could've easily been a green hue.. then where would we be.

And now we're to the stage where we're just making **** up to suit our feelings and preferences, eh?
The ONLY thing we know is that there were two production versions of the shoe, one with tint, one without. The other thing we supposedly "know" is that an NTer who supposedly knows Tinker (I'll take it at face value as fact) asked him about it and Tinker said it wasn't intentional on his part and he didn't know anything about it. How that equals the tint being a defect is beyond me. We don't know anything else about the time, place, methods, supply chain, product planning, decision making, materials selection, influence of product line managers, etc etc that went into producing the Air Jordan XI in 1995/1996.
I saw something strange in the night sky the other day. I have no idea what it was. Must have been aliens for sure, then. Because A+B definitely equals W. :rofl:

Who’s making s*** up? If the shoe was intended to have red-tinted black mesh, all pairs would exhibit the same characteristic. But they don’t. So draw whatever conclusion you like. To me it’s apparent: the red hue was unintentional.

The testimony of the Tinker associate and the fact that only some pairs have red tint are evidence for that conclusion. They don’t prove it. But I never said they did.

If you like the tint, call it serendipity. I don’t give a f***. It’s a defect to me because it looks like s***.

Thats exactly what it was.. they didn't purposefully do this to the shoe. Especially in 96 where nearly everything was for performance. It was some old wonky fabric and it ended up looking decent on the ones that had it. Could've easily been a green hue.. then where would we be.
Old wonky fabric?

And i guess it was just a coincidence the tint happened to be red...

Back
Top Bottom