Air Jordan 5 "Grape" Aftermath Thread (No Buying/Selling or Trading)

someone says the paper is what makes them yellow. In that case I need to just ziplock bag that paper and put it in the bottom of the box or somewhere else...
if you really want to keep your paper just fold them up and keep them in a folder or something. that's what I do with the shoes I take the paper out of. usually anytime I think a shoe will risk bleeding on the paper if it's stored with it for a long time i'll take it out, and for pretty much all icy soles I just take it out.

someone says the paper is what makes them yellow. In that case I need to just ziplock bag that paper and put it in the bottom of the box or somewhere else...
I wonder if the bottom of the box can make them turn yellow faster too since it's made out of paper as well.  Some sneaker collector told me he just folds the paper down and lays his sneakers on top of it, and he hasn't noticed any yellowing due to that.

I heard the paper makes the sole yellow faster, but what about that black wrapping the grapes come with? Im keeping my grapes in the box until winter comes.. and I want to keep them as fresh as I can. any other tips? First pair of J's for me.. so im new to all of this

I heard the paper makes the sole yellow faster, but what about that black wrapping the grapes come with? Im keeping my grapes in the box until winter comes.. and I want to keep them as fresh as I can. any other tips? First pair of J's for me.. so im new to all of this
I always throw out the paper as soon as I open the box.

I just throw anything with an icy sole in a 2 gallon ziplock bag that's half open and put it in the box with a silica packet or 2. I'm from jersey so humidity is a problem here but I still keep the paper in the box and its worked well for me.

There's no real proof if the paper does or doesn't yellow it. Just like one poster mention, if anything then the box can make it yellow too if people wanna reach that far. It's just a lot of " I heard" or speculations. But to contribute to those stories, i've heard just as many people who left their paper in the box with the shoe with no ziplock bags or silica packets, etc, and never had any problems. And I seen people who took the paper out of the box and still had just as much yellow and if not more. There's people out there who go to the extreme to prevent yellowing with all kinds of stuff but it still yellows, then theres the guy who does nothing and just puts it right back into the box wit the tissue paper under the bed and theirs had less yellowing. So...in the end who knows.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that the modern-day paper Jordan's come in is fine and won't cause any yellowing damage.  It was the old brown paper that was the culprit.  But, it probably doesn't hurt to just  throw it out anyway if you want.

There's no real proof if the paper does or doesn't yellow it. Just like one poster mention, if anything then the box can make it yellow too if people wanna reach that far. It's just a lot of " I heard" or speculations. But to contribute to those stories, i've heard just as many people who left their paper in the box with the shoe with no ziplock bags or silica packets, etc, and never had any problems. And I seen people who took the paper out of the box and still had just as much yellow and if not more. There's people out there who go to the extreme to prevent yellowing with all kinds of stuff but it still yellows, then theres the guy who does nothing and just puts it right back into the box wit the tissue paper under the bed and theirs had less yellowing. So...in the end who knows.
True.  Not like there's any documented research on any of this.  It sounds like speculation to just blame chemicals in the paper, LOL.

thanks guys, I have already threw a couple packets of silica gel in the box and wrapped them in the black wrapping they come with. Its too hot in Socal to be wearing them anyways...

thanks guys, I have already threw a couple packets of silica gel in the box and wrapped them in the black wrapping they come with. Its too hot in Socal to be wearing them anyways...

WTF is too hot? ....daily it over 100 degrees here is Dallas, I would never get o rock my kicks if I was worried about heat.

WTF is too hot? ....daily it over 100 degrees here is Dallas, I would never get o rock my kicks if I was worried about heat.
yep heat is not a excuse.... you can use rain and snow but heat! never you might as well never wear them

The paper in the box DOES lead to yellowing, unlike all these "I heard" stories, I can verify this first hand. My pair of retail 2009 Space Jam 11s have been kept fresh in the box since release and not worn (yet), they were wrapped inside with the paper, just as it came from retail. The soles have some yellowing on the bottom, albeit limited to around the pods. The paper has yellow stains on it! On the areas that were touching the sole, so from this I take it as the paper does have an effect on the soles yellowing. I took the paper out now, and do the same for all kicks with an icey sole.

The paper in the box DOES lead to yellowing, unlike all these "I heard" stories, I can verify this first hand. My pair of retail 2009 Space Jam 11s have been kept fresh in the box since release and not worn (yet), they were wrapped inside with the paper, just as it came from retail. The soles have some yellowing on the bottom, albeit limited to around the pods. The paper has yellow stains on it! On the areas that were touching the sole, so from this I take it as the paper does have an effect on the soles yellowing. I took the paper out now, and do the same for all kicks with an icey sole.

That doesn't come from the paper :lol:

I don't have paper and mine yellowed without me wearing them. That comes from the glue and oxidation.

Hey guys I got a pair from the hoh BK opening a few weeks ago, and the left shoe has bumps in them. I took it back to FTL and the manager said he can either give me a credit to buy something else(didn't ask for my money back) or I could just keep them. I kept them for now, but I didn't get some 10-20% off like Nike gives out. I'm wondering, if I contact Nike will I get some sort of discount for my defected product or not?

Why would it be limited to just around the pods if it was from the paper?  I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't understand why the whole sole wouldn't go yellow if they were wrapped inside.

And if you folded the paper down to the bottom and placed the shoes on top of them, would they just get yellow on the sides that are touching the paper?  That might be the experiment that needs to be run.

So everyone keeps saying they made a ton of these? are there some supporting facts?  Obviously they made more than the LS Grapes but more than any other GR?

So everyone keeps saying they made a ton of these? are there some supporting facts?  Obviously they made more than the LS Grapes but more than any other GR?

In my opinion, they did make a lot of these, I'm only saying this because of the limit FNL had on these as well as how many people on here copped, I saw someone on here posted they got like 4 pairs, it was a GR as well so a lot were produced, still a sell out though, I only got mine due to the fact that I didn't get the black grapes, I'm pleased with the shoe and my pair has some flaws here and there....

nah these were made in the same numbers as the fire red v's from january.... ... they were literally everywhere on rd

That doesn't come from the paper
laugh.gif

I don't have paper and mine yellowed without me wearing them. That comes from the glue and oxidation.
They will yellow over time with or without the paper, however the stains on the paper make me assume that it can speed/add to the process of yellowing.
Why would it be limited to just around the pods if it was from the paper?  I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't understand why the whole sole wouldn't go yellow if they were wrapped inside.

And if you folded the paper down to the bottom and placed the shoes on top of them, would they just get yellow on the sides that are touching the paper?  That might be the experiment that needs to be run.
There is no concrete evidence, but the stains I was referring to on the paper highlight that they most probably do have an effect on the yellowing process. I'm not sure as to why the yellowing is around the pods, maybe this area is more susceptible to yellowing first?

The whole yellowing issue cannot be stopped, those who owned a Super Nintendo console probably experienced the console turning yellow over time. This is an explanation as to why the SNES yellows, "The problem is that bromine undergoes a reaction when exposed to ultraviolet (UV) radiation — in other words, most sources of light, both natural and artificial. This breaks the bonds that were created during the manufacturing process, and leaves bromine molecules free to seek out oxygen. This process, also known as oxidation, is responsible for the increasingly brown or yellow appearance of old plastics over time. Nothing — not even the original packaging — can stop it, and added heat and UV light can actually accelerate the rate of discoloration."

So there are different factors which have an effect, the paper could possibly accelerate the rate and added heat and UV does on the SNES.

They will yellow over time with or without the paper, however the stains on the paper make me assume that it can speed/add to the process of yellowing.

There is no concrete evidence, but the stains I was referring to on the paper highlight that they most probably do have an effect on the yellowing process. I'm not sure as to why the yellowing is around the pods, maybe this area is more susceptible to yellowing first?
Maybe that area is more susceptible, yeah.  I hope no one out there is in denial about their shoes eventually yellowing, but I think a lot of people would like to know how to delay it as long as possible with their storage.  Like Greg Street with those old 6's that are still icey.  The paper your Space Jam's came in is the white kind, right?  I wonder if the black paper in these latest 5 releases is any different or if it has a different effect to fold it down as opposed to wrapping the shoe with it.  I'll find out, because that's how I have my 5's now, and if the sides that I lay them down on start getting more yellow in that area, I'll be able to make a better conclusion.

This yellowing debate coulda been a 1st place science project in 6th grade. Does storing shoes with the shoe paper in the box accelerate the process of yellowing in Jordans? Lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom