Air Jordan II “Chicago” December 30th 2022

F149CB55-556D-49B0-AA2E-581A658146C5.gif
A years worth of college tuition lol

At this point we won't get the real because it's not 1986 and dude has an entire devoted history with Nike now. But I read that article that talked about the II's and it mentioned that MJ liked Adidas off court and Converse on the court. I think this was a sign of the times. Adidas was killing it and Nike was basically a newb and everyone was skeptical about air.

I don't think it is about design anymore (still reading the rest of this article) but I think it's a mix of the obvious like money and then that era and what people thought was cool. He didn't quite say why in TLD doc did he? Feel like it was just celebrating that his Mom told him to sign that contract lol.

^ definitely this. Mike probably hasn’t touched an Adidas after Nike took off. People forget it was in a start-up phase. It’s like Curry with UnderAmour. It’s not cool until you win, and add Nikes top tier marketing. They’re a marketing/footwear company.

At this point we won't get the real because it's not 1986 and dude has an entire devoted history with Nike now. But I read that article that talked about the II's and it mentioned that MJ liked Adidas off court and Converse on the court. I think this was a sign of the times. Adidas was killing it and Nike was basically a newb and everyone was skeptical about air.

I don't think it is about design anymore (still reading the rest of this article) but I think it's a mix of the obvious like money and then that era and what people thought was cool. He didn't quite say why in TLD doc did he? Feel like it was just celebrating that his Mom told him to sign that contract lol.
Yeah...Adidas reigned SUPREME back then. Especially in 1986. In large part due to these guys "Run...ruuun...DMC...c...c....Fresh...Fresh!!!..For you...for you!!!!" *guitar riff :lol:

93A761D7-1DDA-4422-88C1-2F5B61E352E6.jpeg

Mike liking Converse on court and Adidas off court actually makes sense for the time period for sure…

I mean Adidas had THE street sneaker with the shell toes…RUN DMC was everywhere at that point…

As for Converse, they genuinely struck gold with the Weapon ad campaign and had big names like Bird, Magic, and Dr. J all under contract…Mike wanting to be in the same conversation as those three was absolutely on his mind at that point…

Add to that the decades of history they both brands had behind them in comparison to Nike being new company in both the basketball world and as a casual brand…Staying with Nike was literally unknown as far as his future branding was concerned, and that was for sure on his mind…

Really starts to feel like the reason we haven’t heard what his issues were with the Jordan 2 was because he really didn’t have issues with them…He was likely just in the mindset for people to start putting him on the top tier of of the NBA and setting up his future branding image 🤷‍♂️…Adidas and Converse were surely in a better position to do both at the time while Nike’s future was still very much uncertain…

Back
Top Bottom