Air Jordan II “Chicago” December 30th 2022

Or maybe he’s misremembering the lace holes…

1673472200578.jpeg

Yup, looks like Melo's wasn't punched...

s-l500.jpg

Or maybe he’s misremembering the lace holes…

1673472200578.jpeg

Yeah I guess I must be…I could swear they were on there though…I clearly remembered skipping a speedlace hole and only using the leather one because the plastic was rough and started eating up the lace…Maybe I’m crossing them up with the 94’s? Hell I don’t know :lol: …Old timers disease must be kicking in…

Last edited:
Scott said that the tongue on the og was full pleather, so technically, we got an upgrade on this one.
Na that’s crazy because my ‘95 pair don’t feel like this ish we got with this retro at all but I never held the OGs so I can’t chime in on that

I was able to swing by the nearest Nike store and was able to come up on these in my size. My guess is that when they has the “pass” they didn’t receive the inventory. So nobody won and the shipment for the the pass just came in. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Off the bat, QC is differently something, for a $200 shoe, and a quick exam, there were a few glue marks and smudges. Nothing some cleaner won’t fix, I hope. I gotta take a closer look at the whole shoe once I get home.
More than likely I’ll just keep them 😂. I’ve been waiting for a pair of 2s to add to the collection. I think I’m just missing 15, 23, 31 and a few of the year editions (off the top of my head, the one with the window in the center that dwade pushed).
If, upon further review and the “leather” is that bad and cheap as some say, they’ll go back and I’ll be putting away $20 a month for that 2064 “Italian leather” edition. 😅

Came back to mention the speed lacing thing rainking rainking I went to look at my OW II's and tried them on and as I undid the laces, I remembered thinking about it when I UNDS'd them like 2 months back.

Makes me wonder why they didn't do it for the III's (or did they?). Crazy they went all the way to the XI with speed lacing always being a feature in mind.

Came back to mention the speed lacing thing rainking rainking I went to look at my OW II's and tried them on and as I undid the laces, I remembered thinking about it when I UNDS'd them like 2 months back.

Makes me wonder why they didn't do it for the III's (or did they?). Crazy they went all the way to the XI with speed lacing always being a feature in mind.
No, there are holes in the leather on the OG IIIs.
A lot of Nike's engineering elements were used for a long time. The OG Huarache concept carried into what seems like a billion shoes, though they weren't dubbed "Huarache." Hell, I see a lot of similarities in today's knit one-piece uppers. Those are basically just knit versions of the Huarache neoprene bootie. Sometimes a legit good idea will always be a good and functional idea, no matter how much time passes. Sometimes the old way of doing something is actually even better than the modern way. Just for fun, check out this story I read the other day about Roman concrete LOL https://www.cnn.com/style/article/roman-concrete-mystery-ingredient-scn/index.html

At this point we won't get the real because it's not 1986 and dude has an entire devoted history with Nike now. But I read that article that talked about the II's and it mentioned that MJ liked Adidas off court and Converse on the court. I think this was a sign of the times. Adidas was killing it and Nike was basically a newb and everyone was skeptical about air.

I don't think it is about design anymore (still reading the rest of this article) but I think it's a mix of the obvious like money and then that era and what people thought was cool. He didn't quite say why in TLD doc did he? Feel like it was just celebrating that his Mom told him to sign that contract lol.

I'd always heard it that Peter Moore was leaving and Mike was planning on following him out the door. He took the meeting with Tinker for the AJ3 out of obligation, fully intending to leave, then fell in love with what Tinker pitched him.

EDIT: rainking rainking beat me to it!

Thanks.

Sounds like only the 94/95's had the holes. No speed-lacing for those years.
Wonder if it even made a difference with holes or not.
They eyelets seem durable and I haven’t really seen cracked eyelets. But then again I feel like material back then was more durable. Heck my 85 chicago glue is still holding strong.

At least my pair is still intact. (Unfortunately the midsole did not hold up with time lol)
8BAFDD90-6BD1-4B02-9558-E46D0B88224C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom