Air Jordan II “Chicago” December 30th 2022

E69C9971-5D44-4C02-9116-E993C8C385E2.jpeg

Nada
They do broski that's wild

Got mine last weekend and my wife’s pair come in tomorrow. First pair of 2s. Is there a preferred way to lace these? I usually like my laces loose, but I’m interested how other people lace them.

At this point we won't get the real because it's not 1986 and dude has an entire devoted history with Nike now. But I read that article that talked about the II's and it mentioned that MJ liked Adidas off court and Converse on the court. I think this was a sign of the times. Adidas was killing it and Nike was basically a newb and everyone was skeptical about air.

I don't think it is about design anymore (still reading the rest of this article) but I think it's a mix of the obvious like money and then that era and what people thought was cool. He didn't quite say why in TLD doc did he? Feel like it was just celebrating that his Mom told him to sign that contract lol.

Mike liking Converse on court and Adidas off court actually makes sense for the time period for sure…

I mean Adidas had THE street sneaker with the shell toes…RUN DMC was everywhere at that point…

As for Converse, they genuinely struck gold with the Weapon ad campaign and had big names like Bird, Magic, and Dr. J all under contract…Mike wanting to be in the same conversation as those three was absolutely on his mind at that point…

Add to that the decades of history they both brands had behind them in comparison to Nike being new company in both the basketball world and as a casual brand…Staying with Nike was literally unknown as far as his future branding was concerned, and that was for sure on his mind…

Really starts to feel like the reason we haven’t heard what his issues were with the Jordan 2 was because he really didn’t have issues with them…He was likely just in the mindset for people to start putting him on the top tier of of the NBA and setting up his future branding image 🤷‍♂️…Adidas and Converse were surely in a better position to do both at the time while Nike’s future was still very much uncertain…

Like a lot of you guys probably, I've read just about every book and article about MJ over the past 30+ years. When this subject is covered, the narrative is generally that Jordan wasn't thrilled with Nike but the reason is murky, especially when you consider how many pairs of the 1s alone were sold and how much money he made, which was off the charts at the time, even more so for a rookie/second-year player. Key Nike guys Rob Strasser and Peter Moore (who had designed the AJ1 and had a hand, I believe, in the 2) had jumped ship to Adidas. You don't have to read too much between the lines to imagine what was going on here. Two guys MJ was close with at Nike had defected and were trying to get him to join them. Happens all the time in business. They and Adidas were likely offering him an even better deal up front after seeing the success of his Nike product. It doesn't make a lot of sense that MJ was considering it truly because he hated the Nike designs THAT much, because the damn guy who designed at least one of them was one of the people who allegedly had him close to coming along for the Adidas ride.
It seems the mythology of it over the years somehow ended up scapegoating the Jordan II, which also helped prop up the famous story of Tinker saving Nike and convincing Mike to stay because the III was just so amazing. That story is probably true to a degree, but we should remember MJ was in his early 20s. And it was the '80s when there was no real road map for this stuff. Like any 20-something, Jordan probably changed his mind and considered doing different things on a daily basis, and not always based on solid logic but rather emotion. "Ohhhh yeah, F it, I'm going with these guys to Adidas, because I've always been an Adidas guy!" Followed later in the day by, "Ohhhh damn, look at these IIIs with the elephant print, and look at this sick matching apparel Tinker is showing me! Never mind, I'm staying with Nike!"

Wow, that's lame. I didn't even notice that. Every jordan I've ever seen with any kind of lace loops ALSO goes thru the leather. So very strange. I'm thinking someone messed up on the manufacturing spec; hard to believe that's intentional.

From a functional standpoint it makes no sense to design the shoe without the laces going through both the leather and the plastic loops.

Unless you actually hooping in these 2's they'll be fine functionally. :lol:

But the OG's not being designed that way when they were specifically made for hooping is pretty wild. Nike had great confidence in that plastic. :lol:

That design is exactly why Nike called it a "speed lacing" system. Every lace hole on the shoe other than those four plastic ones has a metal grommet inserted into it as well to make a quick job of lacing them. No fighting to get the laces through holes punched in leather.

Last edited:
Like a lot of you guys probably, I've read just about every book and article about MJ over the past 30+ years. When this subject is covered, the narrative is generally that Jordan wasn't thrilled with Nike but the reason is murky, especially when you consider how many pairs of the 1s alone were sold and how much money he made, which was off the charts at the time, even more so for a rookie/second-year player. Key Nike guys Rob Strasser and Peter Moore (who had designed the AJ1 and had a hand, I believe, in the 2) had jumped ship to Adidas. You don't have to read too much between the lines to imagine what was going on here. Two guys MJ was close with at Nike had defected and were trying to get him to join them. Happens all the time in business. They and Adidas were likely offering him an even better deal up front after seeing the success of his Nike product. It doesn't make a lot of sense that MJ was considering it truly because he hated the Nike designs THAT much, because the damn guy who designed at least one of them was one of the people who allegedly had him close to coming along for the Adidas ride.
It seems the mythology of it over the years somehow ended up scapegoating the Jordan II, which also helped prop up the famous story of Tinker saving Nike and convincing Mike to stay because the III was just so amazing. That story is probably true to a degree, but we should remember MJ was in his early 20s. And it was the '80s when there was no real road map for this stuff. Like any 20-something, Jordan probably changed his mind and considered doing different things on a daily basis, and not always based on solid logic but rather emotion. "Ohhhh yeah, F it, I'm going with these guys to Adidas, because I've always been an Adidas guy!" Followed later in the day by, "Ohhhh damn, look at these IIIs with the elephant print, and look at this sick matching apparel Tinker is showing me! Never mind, I'm staying with Nike!"

That design is exactly why Nike called it a "speed lacing" system. Every lace hole on the shoe other than those four plastic ones has a metal grommet inserted into it as well to make a quick job of lacing them. No fighting to get the laces through holes punched in leather.

Good point.

I believe he was ready to leave after the II’s release and that’s when Tinker came in and designed the white/ black III’s which locked him in for good. I remember reading something like he was blown away by the elephant print he just wanted something different that none seen before.

Back
Top Bottom