Air Jordan IV “Black/Cement” - May 4th 2019

Nothing perfect but I remember being poor and uninformed about RDs to know to save. I loved these 3 retro’s as a kid. I have opinions but I will enjoy these ****s!

image.jpg

Nothing perfect but I remember being poor and uninformed about RDs to know to save. I loved these 3 retro’s as a kid. I have opinions but I will enjoy these ****s!

image.jpg
It’s a damn beautiful thing!! I’m the same as you. Growing up appreciating the ish out of these but being 12 I didn’t have the funds. They’re not perfect but having them with Nike Air and well the Concords..are perfect to me so I too will enjoy these retros!!

Funny enough, even though it seems and sounds like the dark ages now, in some ways it was better and more fun. I would call around looking for shoes and gear all the time. There were no cell phones, either. My freshman year of college, I called every sporting goods store in the two nearby malls, trying to find those authentic Nike UNC game shorts MJ had on in the print ad for the UNC 9s. One store finally said they had them, and only one pair left that they would hold for me for a couple of hours. I promptly skipped the rest of my classes that day and took a bus across town in the freezing cold to get them. I still have them to this day. Nowadays, you'd just order them from class on your phone and not think twice about it. Way more convenient, but also it sometimes makes it harder to appreciate things as much because most of the time, pushing a button is all you have to do to obtain the item in question.

turbospartan turbospartan , you might be interested to know that the discussion I just mentioned occurred in Holden Hall LOL

Dude! I lived in Holden my freshman year. About a decade after you though, if you were there in 1997

When I was there, they already the T3 internet connection or whatever its called. When I moved up there, my parents didnt even have cable tv / modem (my dad wouldn't pay comcast to run it to our house from the street... until after I left for college). So I went ****ing buckwild downloading anything and everything I could. Full albums in like 1 minute. Plus all the viruses that come with it, when downloading from Kazaam, E-donkey, Limewire, etc.

Meant to say iirc 56k was part of your phone line, that you paid for. It wasnt like paying for internet service from Verizon. If you paid the phone bill and for phone service (landline) I think it (56k internet) was included

Oh it was but you still had to pay monthly at least I did with the aol software but those free hours were a good thing :lol:

263BC716-3345-414E-A778-9A4DA9799F89.jpeg

My father was a computer engineer by trade and may have been the first to personally introduce me to
"the internet" via a program/browser called Prodigy as early as the late-'80's or the very beginning of the '90's.
Thank you Dad! 8)

I remember him showing me current weather radar & forecasts and it was not very exciting for me. :lol:
By '93-'95 internet was getting much more common but still nothing like today or even the late '90's.

prodigy_logo_crop.png

I think the first internet pron I saw was around 1994-95.

I think the first thing I ordered/purchased off the internet was around 1998. A music CD.

I miss Napster
I must of burned over 300-500 cd’s for me and my friends
I used to buy those 100 pack spindles of blank cd’s all the time
I had one of those huge cd case holder for my car
I think it held 256 cd’s lol
Then I let my friend borrow it and it got stolen outta his car with all my precious cd’s
It had a mix of burned cd’s and original cd’s

I miss Napster
I must of burned over 300-500 cd’s for me and my friends
I used to buy those 100 pack spindles of blank cd’s all the time
I had one of those cd cases for my car
I think it held 256 cd’s lol
Then I let my friend borrow it and it got stolen outta his car with all my precious cd’s
It had a mix of burned cd’s and original cd’s
Limewire

Funny enough, even though it seems and sounds like the dark ages now, in some ways it was better and more fun. I would call around looking for shoes and gear all the time. There were no cell phones, either. My freshman year of college, I called every sporting goods store in the two nearby malls, trying to find those authentic Nike UNC game shorts MJ had on in the print ad for the UNC 9s. One store finally said they had them, and only one pair left that they would hold for me for a couple of hours. I promptly skipped the rest of my classes that day and took a bus across town in the freezing cold to get them. I still have them to this day. Nowadays, you'd just order them from class on your phone and not think twice about it. Way more convenient, but also it sometimes makes it harder to appreciate things as much because most of the time, pushing a button is all you have to do to obtain the item in question.
When I was younger, it was a true accomplishment to finally get your pair. You called, drove to the mall, bought the magazines just to find out when they were dropping. And then on RD you felt a nervous type rush in anticipation. As if they may not be there in your size. Then the true feel of leaving with em. It dont get better than that. I look back at retros and think about those kind of times. Along with the pair I never could get as a kid as well. I think examples like this are reasons we hold them higher than "just shoes".

I never put in the work you guys speak of. I would go to one mall and usually check out the Collegiate Sports, Champs, and Footlocker and see if they had the new Jordans, and what colors. I never knew about RDs or what was coming. I just always went looking for the new Jordan. If they were out of my size I'd get the other color. At most they'd call another nearby location to check stock, but that rarely worked out.

I wanted this BC4 so badly but they were sold out of my size, so the WC was my first Jordan, and I envied others whenever I saw the black ones. I lusted for the BC4 and Air Trainer 3 Navy that year. (though the latter had come out in '88) It was black shoes from there on out until the 8 (Aqua) when I stopped buying Jordans for 20 years. Saw the 2003 WCs sitting all over the place and thought it was stupid that they were selling these old shoes and for basically the same price as back in the day. Man, do I wish I had grasped the retro concept then!

One year there were no Jordans so I got the Trainer SC High Raiders. Loved that shoe just as much. It had visible air and looked awesome. I can't recall; was that between the 5 and 6 around '90?

Hope these are an easy cop on the 4th! Just need one pair.

Ah yes 99... Just graduated high school. Back in those days, cell phones looked liked walkie talkies or was in a carry bag that could be plugged into a cigarette lighter outlet... Off the subject (dont even think cars have those anymore) lol.

Back then Jordans had no name....just the new Jordans. Eastbay catalogs were the Mecca of shoes mags back then. I was working under the table at a chicken joint. I remember getting money orders to send off for my kicks... Good ole days..

I never put in the work you guys speak of. I would go to one mall and usually check out the Collegiate Sports, Champs, and Footlocker and see if they had the new Jordans, and what colors. I never knew about RDs or what was coming. I just always went looking for the new Jordan. If they were out of my size I'd get the other color. At most they'd call another nearby location to check stock, but that rarely worked out.

I wanted this BC4 so badly but they were sold out of my size, so the WC was my first Jordan, and I envied others whenever I saw the black ones. I lusted for the BC4 and Air Trainer 3 Navy that year. (though the latter had come out in '88) It was black shoes from there on out until the 8 (Aqua) when I stopped buying Jordans for 20 years. Saw the 2003 WCs sitting all over the place and thought it was stupid that they were selling these old shoes and for basically the same price as back in the day. Man, do I wish I had grasped the retro concept then!

One year there were no Jordans so I got the Trainer SC High Raiders. Loved that shoe just as much. It had visible air and looked awesome. I can't recall; was that between the 5 and 6 around '90?

Hope these are an easy cop on the 4th! Just need one pair.
I dont want to say it was work. I enjoyed doing it.

I dont want to say it was work. I enjoyed doing it.

True that....I was just oblivious to those magazines, and felt guilty asking my mom to drive around town looking for a pair of shoes my size. We'd always get home after buying the latest jordan to my dad scolding us for spending that kind of money on shoes. He didn't care that I paid half each time. Then there were the headlines "your life or your shoes"...you know...the one with the FR5s on the front....More evidence for him that having them wasn't even safe! I still bought them anyway.....

Dude! I lived in Holden my freshman year. About a decade after you though, if you were there in 1997

When I was there, they already the T3 internet connection or whatever its called. When I moved up there, my parents didnt even have cable tv / modem (my dad wouldn't pay comcast to run it to our house from the street... until after I left for college). So I went ****ing buckwild downloading anything and everything I could. Full albums in like 1 minute. Plus all the viruses that come with it, when downloading from Kazaam, E-donkey, Limewire, etc.
:lol::nthat:
Yeah, I lived in Case hall first, then Holden from fall of 95-end of 97 school year. Then finally got an apartment off campus. We were still on dial-up back then LOL. It was funny and hugely annoying during finals week when certain classes required us to do something online related to the class. Seemed like the whole damn campus was trying to go online at the same time, and you would just get a busy signal for the internet over and over. Had to keep dialing until a portal freed up, like in The Matrix :rofl:

:lol::nthat:
Yeah, I lived in Case hall first, then Holden from fall of 95-end of 97 school year. Then finally got an apartment off campus. We were still on dial-up back then LOL. It was funny and hugely annoying during finals week when certain classes required us to do something online related to the class. Seemed like the whole damn campus was trying to go online at the same time, and you would just get a busy signal for the internet over and over. Had to keep dialing until a portal freed up, like in The Matrix :rofl:

Hell yea. Go Green! I lived in Holden my freshman year, then a single In Wonders the next year. Then buddies and I got a house on Ann and Kedzie for the last couple years.

I used to come to NT and look at the release dates page to find out when Jordan releases were. Didn't really know **** about forums and message board posting back then though. All I used the internet for was downloading music, AOL instant messenger, and Facebook when it first came out ( FB you used to have to have a .edu email address, and invites came to different schools in waves).

Parents never had $ to buy me J's in HS, and I spent most of my money drinking and smoking in college. I remember buying obsidian 12 lows from I think Eastbay, on sale. Most other shoes were from malls. Now I don't even leave the house for shoes, unless I know beforehand if I won via shoe app :lol:

Yea man I can relate because I remember my older cousins will call stores like Electronic Boutique to see if they have Bulls vs Lakers in stock everyday for like two weeks lol. No internet, only going off of magazines like EGM & Gamepro

Back
Top Bottom