Air Jordan IV White/Cement 2012 Via Modern Notoriety Update **Nov 2nd 2011** 1st Page VOL ON POINT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SoleAddict34

Originally Posted by sthebest

Originally Posted by trappedintime

Very true, but key words being "for the time." For the time, the quality of the leather as a whole was better - on retros, Nike, and pretty much every GR model in the industry. 12 years later and the quality of materials on your average, mass produced sneaker from any of the Big 3 is inferior to what they offered in '99. I guess that's why I'm not going to be one of the butthurt whiners who can only call out the quality of the leather or the Jordan logo on the heel.
No doubt the materials are of much less quality. But that is probably because the leather that they used to use is no longer available, and to reproduce it would cost too much. So, Jordan Brand uses whatever is available. But Jordan Brand isnt the only culprit, Nike does this too. why? because these shoes are retros and are only meant for casual purposes, not for performance.
Hell, even on Nike's flagship models such as Lebrons and Kobes , theyre moving away from leather and into cheaper but more efficient materials, such as advanced neoprene and flywire.
That is all nonsense. There's no shortage of leather. Look at the leather quality on Adidas shoes or even Converses(a brand that Nike owns no less) are way better than anything on Nike's GR or JB's shoes and they charge half the price. Its all about the bottom line.
These so called "more efficient" materials are simply cheaper thus using them on their non "premium" shoes  increases their profits.
I know that there is no shortage of leather. What I mean is that there is a shortage in their production factories of the standard leather that Nike used to use on their sneakers in the 80s and 90s. Instead of ordering more, Nike and Jordan Brand probably invested their money into the tougher "no crease" leather and made that their standard due to customers complaining about how easily their shoes creased (especially on some models such as older AF1s). Also, this newer leather is much more cost effective production wise.
Adidas and Converse has better leather quality because they NEED to have top notch quality in order to compete with a major competitor such as Nike.

Originally Posted by SoleAddict34

Originally Posted by trappedintime

Very true, but key words being "for the time." For the time, the quality of the leather as a whole was better - on retros, Nike, and pretty much every GR model in the industry. 12 years later and the quality of materials on your average, mass produced sneaker from any of the Big 3 is inferior to what they offered in '99. I guess that's why I'm not going to be one of the butthurt whiners who can only call out the quality of the leather or the Jordan logo on the heel.
No doubt the materials are of much less quality. But that is probably because the leather that they used to use is no longer available, and to reproduce it would cost too much. So, Jordan Brand uses whatever is available. But Jordan Brand isnt the only culprit, Nike does this too. why? because these shoes are retros and are only meant for casual purposes, not for performance.
Hell, even on Nike's flagship models such as Lebrons and Kobes , theyre moving away from leather and into cheaper but more efficient materials, such as advanced neoprene and flywire.
That is all nonsense. There's no shortage of leather. Look at the leather quality on Adidas shoes or even Converses(a brand that Nike owns no less) are way better than anything on Nike's GR or JB's shoes and they charge half the price. Its all about the bottom line.
These so called "more efficient" materials are simply cheaper thus using them on their non "premium" shoes  increases their profits.
I know that there is no shortage of leather. What I mean is that there is a shortage in their production factories of the standard leather that Nike used to use on their sneakers in the 80s and 90s. Instead of ordering more, Nike and Jordan Brand probably invested their money into the tougher "no crease" leather and made that their standard due to customers complaining about how easily their shoes creased (especially on some models such as older AF1s). Also, this newer leather is much more cost effective production wise.
Adidas and Converse has better leather quality because they NEED to have top notch quality in order to compete with a major competitor such as Nike.

SoleAddict34 wrote:

^^so many things wrong on that, luckily toddlers don't care, but yeeeshh....
they actually line up to the 2006 IVs as far as the leather wings and back tab go. the kids versions have had that for a few years now.

then mens version will probably have the plastic heel tab and wings. theyre definitely on track to being a faithful retro so far. and i'm personally willing to settle since most 99 IVs cant be worn anymore.

you mean rubber wings & tab

SoleAddict34 wrote:

they actually line up to the 2006 IVs as far as the leather wings and back tab go. the kids versions have had that for a few years now.

then mens version will probably have the plastic heel tab and wings. theyre definitely on track to being a faithful retro so far. and i'm personally willing to settle since most 99 IVs cant be worn anymore.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

SoleAddict34 wrote:

you sir are right. 99s had plastic wings and back heel.
I think they changed it because of a lawsuit filed by people who had their back ankle cut by the back heel tab.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

SoleAddict34 wrote:

you sir are right. 99s had plastic wings and back heel.
I think they changed it because of a lawsuit filed by people who had their back ankle cut by the back heel tab.

The grey looks like that because its TECH grey, not Cement Grey.

It may be me, but the 99s had a lighter grey than the originals (in addition to the 99s having fewer speckles)

nike-air-jordan-4-retro-white-cement.jpg

air-jordan-og-4-white-cement.jpg

The grey looks like that because its TECH grey, not Cement Grey.

It may be me, but the 99s had a lighter grey than the originals (in addition to the 99s having fewer speckles)

nike-air-jordan-4-retro-white-cement.jpg

air-jordan-og-4-white-cement.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom