Air Jordan V 5 Retro Fire Red "Black Tongue" 8/31

mine were already giving me light signs of yellowing out the box the same day i got em. but its whatever. like they say gives the shoe character. never really seen an icy blue 5 till now any way. oh and did u take the paper out? i heard that causes em to yellow faster too.
i noticed the same on my pair also.  

I also compared these to the white grapes.  the blue tint is lighter on the fire reds compared to the white grapes

i noticed the same on my pair also.  

I also compared these to the white grapes.  the blue tint is lighter on the fire reds compared to the white grapes

u right about that cuz i rocked my grapes yesterday and was like "well these havent yellowed as fast as those " and thats my second time pulling the grapes out the box

Im an advocate for New retros (simply because we get to wear classic colorways without having to worry about them falling apart). I usually stick up for most re-retros, but I must admit I went with this years Fire Red 3s over the Frie Red 5s and dont regret it at all. They seem to look way better then these 5s. I saw the 5s close up instead of on feet for the first time today.  The paint seems a little too shiney and something just seems off. Happy the White Grapes were done right. Hopefully Laneys look as great as grapes. But I must thank Jordan brand for FINALLY getting fire red 3s quality right for once. The heavier more durable midsole with different paint process, the soft tumbled leather, and the thin strip of elephant print on the toe (reminiscent of OGs) did them a world of favors. Cant really say the 5s got that treatment. Also jordan brand has proven time and time again that they can get a shoe right but have horrible qualitly for others. Like White Cement 3s quality compared to Black Cement 3s, or White Cement 4s compared to Fire red 4s Quality.

I really don't understand all the negativity for the black tongue. I was satisfied with mine, they had minor blemishes as all Js do these days. But they were a clean looking shoe, pretty much the same as the grapes besides colors. The materials used are obviously more stiff than older models, but it helps with creasing. I've worn mine prob half a dozen times and they barely creased a little on the side of toe box. Overall, a sharp, durable, classic AJV. Got FR3 as well and they were also nice, but still like the materials on wc88 better personally.

mine were already giving me light signs of yellowing out the box the same day i got em. but its whatever. like they say gives the shoe character. never really seen an icy blue 5 till now any way. oh and did u take the paper out? i heard that causes em to yellow faster too.

Yeah, one of the review videos I saw before they dropped the guy was saying they were yellowing out of the box. Mine were a light blue, but didn't notice yellowing until after a few wears. Still pretty faint, just surprising it's so soon. My varsity red 6s from several years ago (clear sole) took a couple years to start yellowing and I didn't do anything special with them. Just left them in the box w/o the paper.

Damn, I haven't looked at mine since I've bought them. They're yellowing already? That's like the space jams. I need to take a look at these and the grapes. I've worn my 3M's once and they weren't yellow.

yeh these are def gonna yellow like crazy! I dont even see a blue tint on my sole and this is since RD. And i wont be rocking em for a while most likely so im sure these are gonna look more yellow then the 2006's after 1 year. pretty stupid, i know ppl were complaining about the pics of blue sole and it not looking right but i would have taken that anyday, my blue tinted soles are still that and ive worn em in the wet as well. not gonna happen on these. Ah well, still glad to have them again, im still happy with that

Mine also got some little yellowing just under the shark teeth part on the midsole on both shoes.

Luckily, it doesn't got any sloppy paint stains.

Last edited:
heard there was some kind of spray for the sole that preserves your sneakers when left in the box for a while. 

Last edited:
i just returned my pair back to Nike

it's a nice shoe, but I don't ever wear white based shoes so they would just rot in my closet

Did they change colors on you? I ask because you didn't realize when you bought them they were WHITE based sneakers.

Yeah probably take back my DB5's didn't know they were black. SMH
i bought a pair for my girl since she wanted them and i ordered a pair for myself since they were available.

i'm aware that they are white, but i was seeing if they would grow on me. settle down junior

i bought a pair for my girl since she wanted them and i ordered a pair for myself since they were available.
i'm aware that they are white, but i was seeing if they would grow on me. settle down junior
Please, respond once you stop making dumb posts, "I bought a predominantly white shoe. Oh yeah I don't wear white shoes." Smart guy.

Back
Top Bottom