Air Jordan V retro OG - Nike Air - Fire Red/Silver tongue - May 2, 2020

My pair from FTL release day morning delivered Thursday and are pretty much perfect. The side vent looks kind of small on this production run imho.... Pardon my OG perspective. I won 8th grade hoops championship in OG metallics and have owned quite a few retros since then.... and yeah, vent looks kind of small at first glance. I want to compare them to my Off Whites when I get back home on Monday too.... I just glanced at them for flaws and put them back in the box. Oh, I did take a sweet sniff, lmao.

I take that back. they're pretty stinking comfy and well padded. feel like the 99 cements for that all around cushion. gonna double up

Now that they finally put NA on the box I’m annoyed that all the others have jumpman Air :lol: I’m gonna print out a Nike Air graphic and cover them up to cure my OCD.
I could never bring myself to cop a 3-6 with the Jumpman on the back it just looks so wrong to me. Not just what I was used to seeing growing up but it literally looks off to me.

I need my pair before I move. Move date is 22nd and original delivery date said by 21st. BUT delay letter said after original delivery date.
1588993833939.png

Got my second pair, this one from the Saturday SNKRS release. Solid but not as nice as my BSTN pair. Slightly more creases, a tiny bit of a sloppy paint job on one shoe's flames, and one of the tongues has a crease in it. You'd really have to pick them up and look at them close to see any of this, so it's hardly a big deal. Really it's hardly even a small deal, I'd still give this pair an 8 or 8.5 out of 10. BSTN pair I give a 9.5 or 10. I'm happy enough with these two, been wearing the BSTN pair around the house again today. These things really are flames.

Really wish they had that sleek toebox on the OGs, and the bigger netting.. Other than that, the 2020s are primo.
Man I was so happy to start getting retro Jordans again then I found NT and noticed how many people talking about shoes aren’t close to OG’s and flaws. So I dug out an old pair of V’s from 99 and the bulkiness and overall shape especially in the ankle padding on these and 2016 metallics is egregious. I can deal with the flaws but not a shoe that probably even weighs a few ounces more than OG. Hopefully they start to follow what they did with UNC 3’s and bring that bulk down going forward

Got my second pair, this one from the Saturday SNKRS release. Solid but not as nice as my BSTN pair. Slightly more creases, a tiny bit of a sloppy paint job on one shoe's flames, and one of the tongues has a crease in it. You'd really have to pick them up and look at them close to see any of this, so it's hardly a big deal. Really it's hardly even a small deal, I'd still give this pair an 8 or 8.5 out of 10. BSTN pair I give a 9.5 or 10. I'm happy enough with these two, been wearing the BSTN pair around the house again today. These things really are flames.
I should’ve doubled.

Man I was so happy to start getting retro Jordans again then I found NT and noticed how many people talking about shoes aren’t close to OG’s and flaws. So I dug out an old pair of V’s from 99 and the bulkiness and overall shape especially in the ankle padding on these and 2016 metallics is egregious. I can deal with the flaws but not a shoe that probably even weighs a few ounces more than OG. Hopefully they start to follow what they did with UNC 3’s and bring that bulk down going forward

I had the 99s, and also the OG 1990 when I was a kid. I want that 1990 shape as pictured above. The toebox looks aerodynamic! The 99s were close--a better shape than the 2020, and I want to say had durabuck on the ankle collar. You can clearly see a difference in material on the ankle collar. The 99s material had pores on it, vs the crinkled finish on the 2020. The 2020s use the same faux leather on the whole shoe. The NA text on the rear of the shoe is also much better on the 99 pair. The threads almost look embossed into the shoe whereas the NA on the 2020 looks like it's hastily stitched on 'top' of the shoe.

This is my personal DS 99 pair. I've since sold this pair and my (yuck) 2013s in anticipation for this 2020 release. Prior to sale, I took high resolution pics to use for reference. Honestly if I have the time and patience, i'd get another 99 pair in DS and sole swap it with a new 2020 sole.

I won't get into the tongue as it's been discussed a bunch here.

I'm not saying i'm disappointed in the 2020 pair at all. It's close--but could have been perfect.

2G2A3101_resized.jpg

2G2A3102_resized.jpg

Back
Top Bottom