Air Jordan XX8 aka 2013, new "Proplate Zoom" Technology OFFICIAL THREAD.

I think they will continue to remain limited.JB is apparently sick of watching its flagship models sit.
Damn, just when they finally produce a good one after several years of ugly designs. The 2012 might have been  a great balling shoe but I didn't care for the looks. The only one I liked after XIX was the 23s

Shockingly they looked fine after rain. Keep in mind they only got hit for like 5 mins(from class to my dorm)
Seconded. The Schoeller mesh/shroud doesn't seem to react to water. I was walking around in a drizzle for a good while yesterday afternoon. Salt might be a problem though; they pour tons of it out here and it'll stand out strongly against all that black.

how do they fit ? true to size ?
Fairly true to size. The inner bootie gives you great lockdown laced up without feeling restrictive. Very forgiving. They fit my wide feet very well so you could probably go down half a size for that snug fit, no problem. The shroud runs tighter and doesn't feel stretchy. In store I had to force it to zip to ankle and all the way up was out (for me). First wear I could zip all the way up but it was uncomfortable so I left about half an inch unzipped. Now all the way up is doable but not ideal, but I like the look of folding down just the edge with the green stripe. I'm not sure if it's stretching or molding or what, but I like it.

Last edited:
very surprised to come home and see these on the front porch. paid for overnight shipping but figured they wouldnt be here until tomorrow considering the mail didnt run yesterday.

anyway, green camos tucked in..

Haven't played ball in almost a year (been focusing on weightlifting), but I'm really tempted just so I can play in these xx8s.

Those who have balled in them, do they get really dirty when someone steps on you? All my balling shoes end up looking really beat after a while.

Last edited:
Did  you try wiping it out with dry paper towels? I now always check weather reports before wearing heat to make sure it doesn't rain suddenly
28s aren't heat though ....
tongue.gif
 but yeah that's a good idea but i would never get around to doing that regularly lol

Last edited:
I legitimately cannot believe these shoes sold out.

Not because they're ugly, because I've been on of the people saying they were dope since the first pics surfaced.

But because they're $250. I just don't get it.
The wallet is limitless when it comes to sneakers, i guess...

I wanna get the size 14s still available but I wear a 13, so I dont want them running big on me. Can anyone share with me if I should or theyd be too big?

after putting the green camos on a few times today i feel like i have to be very delicate with the zipper when unzipping them..almost like they could break. I guess I was pulling too hard on the string tab on the zipper and it stretched it out a little bit

Can someone explain to me what is JB's justification for pricing the shoes at $250?  No special brief case like the 17.  The box is still cardboard, sure it comes with a baggie but so did previous signature models for a significantly lower price.  It doesn't even seem like they're making the upper material of the shoe seem special (i.e. Nike marketing Foamposite tech).  From all the pictures I've seen, it doesn't even look like the shoes have a sliver of leather on it.  Is the Schoeller textile really that cutting-edge and functional to merit that price?  Or is it the amount of carbon fiber used?  I would expect these to at LEAST be Nike + ready for this price point.  

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me what is JB's justification for pricing the shoes at $250?  No special brief case like the 17.  The box is still cardboard, sure it comes with a baggie but so did previous signature models for a significantly lower price.  It doesn't even seem like they're making the upper material of the shoe seem special (i.e. Nike marketing Foamposite tech).  From all the pictures I've seen, it doesn't even look like the shoes have a sliver of leather on it.  Is the Schoeller textile really that cutting-edge and functional to merit that price?  Or is it the amount of carbon fiber used?  I would expect these to at LEAST be Nike + ready for this price point.  
Unless you get one of the shoe designers to answer this thread then all you are going to get is guesses from people.  The shoe's pricing is going to be based on the cost of the materials and the cost of the technology in the shoe .... the size of the production run comes into play as well.  

The rising price points mostly feel like a test, and this year is working out better than last year. As for excuses, the one that jumps out at me is all the carbon fiber. Adding the carbon fiber counter on the Elites last year was the biggest change, and those had a $60-80 price bump. Tinker said the XX8s have 5 pieces, including the relatively massive flight plate (which the 2012 also had). It doesn't quite work like that, but adding that to the base 2012 gets you there.

I'm not an expert and will never be, but from the official release they touch on the various materials used to create the shoe

http://nikeinc.com/news/jordan-brand-takes-flight-with-launch-of-air-jordan-xx8

I also believe a lot of the costs are stemming from all the R&D.
Read through that article, and still, the only plausible explanation I found would be either the increased use of what I would assume to be genuine carbon fiber, that "special" fabric for the shroud, or both.  
Unless you get one of the shoe designers to answer this thread then all you are going to get is guesses from people.  The shoe's pricing is going to be based on the cost of the materials and the cost of the technology in the shoe .... the size of the production run comes into play as well.  
Pretty sure that Swiss fabric has been used in past shoes before for a significantly lower price, so it has got to be the carbon fiber if anything that's causing this inflate price point.  Technology's still pretty much the same, just the good ol' Zoom air, but this time around the chassis is designed to optimize Zoom's performance.  Nothing too revolutionary IMO, but that opinion coming from me isn't really valid at this point as I've never even tried on the shoes.  
The rising price points mostly feel like a test, and this year is working out better than last year. As for excuses, the one that jumps out at me is all the carbon fiber. Adding the carbon fiber counter on the Elites last year was the biggest change, and those had a $60-80 price bump. Tinker said the XX8s have 5 pieces, including the relatively massive flight plate (which the 2012 also had). It doesn't quite work like that, but adding that to the base 2012 gets you there.
I'd have to agree with you on that.  Long story short, pretty sure it's just a business tactic to test how far they can get away with increasing the price while still maintaining demand.  

Back
Top Bottom