Air Jordans in 2014 vs baseball cards in 1989. Is there really a difference?

I am a long time reader of Niketalk but rarely post.  I am 32 years old.  I once had over 330 pairs of DS Jordans in sz 13 that I was collecting.  I remember the days of 'Post your Jordan Is' and next week 'Post your Jordans IIs'  There was a guy who had almost every pair are that time, all DS in sz 13, and his pictures/collection were amazing.  I thought I would hopefully be that guy one day.  After a pair of OG VI Maroons that I paid $400 for on ebay fell apart in may hands, I sold them all.  In doing so, I realized that it can be very lucrative to flip Jordans, and have been doing that for the past 8 years.  I have made nearly $100,000 doing so, as a side job.  However, I am slowing leaving the 'shoe game' because it is completely out of control.  Brand Jordans has somehow brainwashed all of us into thinking that something produced in a China factory 3 months ago is 'rare' or 'limited'  I grew up in the 80's, so of course I collected baseball cards.  Ken Griffey Jr upper deck rookie card was the greatest thing ever.  Sold for around $100 at times.  Now, probably worth $5-$10.  I would compare this to the Jordan XI white/blackconcord mid.  Greatest shoe ever.  However, it is not rare or hard to find.  This shoe is actually worse then a Ken Griffey Jr upper deck rookie card because Nike with undoubtedlly re-release this shoe every 5 years until Jordans are no longer 'cool' or 'collectable'  I predict that, in 10 years, Jordans will sit on store shelves for weeks or months, instead of sell out instantly.  15 years ago, there were 4-5 released per year.  Now, there are probably 40-50 if the retros are included.  Tens years from now, maybe 100+ Jordan retro releases?  Where does the madness end.  What gets me the most is that the same shoes cones out over, and over, and over again (i.e. the Jordan III cement), and we all think it should retail for $200 and resell for $325 or more.  I understand all the laws of supply and demand, so I don't want an economics lesson from anyone.  While I enjoy Niketalk and will continue to read posts, I think Niketalk has be part of creating this 'bubble' (to compare shoes to an investment or collectable) in Jordan prices.

If Jordan releases 10 colorways of the Jordan VI, and only 500 pairs of one colorway and 10,000 pairs of another colorway, and they were all made 3 months ago in a China factory, how does anyone of sane mind and body spend $600-$700 on a cigar/champaine package?

Not looking to insult or disrespect anyone here, as I still consider my self a 'Jordan Head' but interested to hear thoughts.

I feel the same way. One day some ppl are going to look at their collection and realize how much money they have wasted when they could have been saving for more important things. I also think that all these shoe site are at fault for the **** that is going on in the shoe game. Like when I use to see a shoe that was coming out that I didn't like, then I come on  nt and see pictures that makes me change my mind then when I get them I regret even buying them. Or like these what the shoes, these shoes would of sat back in the 90 ' s early 2000 bc they are ugly as hell now they sell out hell even Ewing shoes sell out now but back then no one rocks those. Pp even buy shoes without knowing what they look like "lebron 2k" then get mad when they don't like them. Then they wonder why nike is alway raising prices on bad product. So I understand how you feel.

I wish I could rep you a million times. Perfect analogy to the baseball card boom of late 80s early 90s. JB is going to crash the shoe bubble with the "remastered" line.

I am a long time reader of Niketalk but rarely post.  I am 32 years old.  I once had over 330 pairs of DS Jordans in sz 13 that I was collecting.  I remember the days of 'Post your Jordan Is' and next week 'Post your Jordans IIs'  There was a guy who had almost every pair are that time, all DS in sz 13, and his pictures/collection were amazing.  I thought I would hopefully be that guy one day.  After a pair of OG VI Maroons that I paid $400 for on ebay fell apart in may hands, I sold them all.  In doing so, I realized that it can be very lucrative to flip Jordans, and have been doing that for the past 8 years.  I have made nearly $100,000 doing so, as a side job.  However, I am slowing leaving the 'shoe game' because it is completely out of control.  Brand Jordans has somehow brainwashed all of us into thinking that something produced in a China factory 3 months ago is 'rare' or 'limited'  I grew up in the 80's, so of course I collected baseball cards.  Ken Griffey Jr upper deck rookie card was the greatest thing ever.  Sold for around $100 at times.  Now, probably worth $5-$10.  I would compare this to the Jordan XI white/blackconcord mid.  Greatest shoe ever.  However, it is not rare or hard to find.  This shoe is actually worse then a Ken Griffey Jr upper deck rookie card because Nike with undoubtedlly re-release this shoe every 5 years until Jordans are no longer 'cool' or 'collectable'  I predict that, in 10 years, Jordans will sit on store shelves for weeks or months, instead of sell out instantly.  15 years ago, there were 4-5 released per year.  Now, there are probably 40-50 if the retros are included.  Tens years from now, maybe 100+ Jordan retro releases?  Where does the madness end.  What gets me the most is that the same shoes cones out over, and over, and over again (i.e. the Jordan III cement), and we all think it should retail for $200 and resell for $325 or more.  I understand all the laws of supply and demand, so I don't want an economics lesson from anyone.  While I enjoy Niketalk and will continue to read posts, I think Niketalk has be part of creating this 'bubble' (to compare shoes to an investment or collectable) in Jordan prices.

If Jordan releases 10 colorways of the Jordan VI, and only 500 pairs of one colorway and 10,000 pairs of another colorway, and they were all made 3 months ago in a China factory, how does anyone of sane mind and body spend $600-$700 on a cigar/champaine package?

Not looking to insult or disrespect anyone here, as I still consider my self a 'Jordan Head' but interested to hear thoughts.
[/quote

Man U killed it...and I just got bashed in another thread for saying they should stop releasing the penny 1 over and over again...it's sad how the game is now ...everything is hyped dudes don't know nothing about the shoes...or some of the players that wore em... .wut commercials were featured with em( I know I'm ranting) etc. etc. but with all that said I don't think I could ever quit I've tried before and failed ...smh what is a true "SNEAKERHEAD" suppose to do lol?

I think it's a combination of factors to blame for Jordans being overly popular. Social media is def the culprit in this case. Everyone sees everyone in Jordans, so now it's the in thing for them. Eventho they don't even know the first thing about Jordans.

I'm just surprised by the amount of money young people have to burn on shoes these days. Simple as no one but the richest could afford more than a couple of pairs a year if you were lucky. Now you got guys doubling up every week. Back in my day you got mugged for your shoes because people couldn't afford them, these days you get mugged because they are hard to get.

Blaming web sites and social media isn't fair really. Its just another medium to spread hype. We had tv, magazines, school playgrounds to spread hype when we were young.

Hype is what it is and the shoe hype is quite extraordinary really when compared to other pop culture items. It will burst soon and will go back to normal.

My other biggest concern is the quality.  A pair of Jordan IIIs will crack through the midsole after 4-5 wearings.  And still, the Jordan III sells out, year after year, colorway after colorway, and the shoes look like garbage one month into their life.  Not sure what this Jordan 'remastered' line will bring (other than a higher price tag), but it would be nice to see a pair of Jordans that stands up to wear and tear.  I also don't understand how kids have some much cash for Jordans.  I remember when I didn't eat lunch for 6 weeks so that I could save up to buy the Chutney Jordan XIII lows.  Now, I go to a release, and there are 14 year old kids buying multiple pairs.  Crazy

I'm 20 and I watched my brothers collects sneakers I seen him enter the game and leave a lot of his pieces he had were from that 95-03 era and he got a good amount getting out of the game. It's about timing I guess when it comes to selling it all. Right now is a great time because business is high and sneaker culture is growing everyday. In my city we don't have sneaker show cases at all until 2010 then that following year 2011 the culture blew up we jumped from 1 shows to 3 shows now we have one a month called SOE & honestly after attending a recent show I realized how much of a downward spiral the culture is going it's all about money nobody is in it for the love of the game anymore people but shoes toast and flip them today it's no more buying stocking and rocking..

I used to have somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 pairs of Js, Nikes, etc.

Currently, I have 2 pairs of Sport Blue KOs, 1 pair of NA black toe 1s, and 2 very simple pairs of Nike Frees because they were free. That's my whole "collection" now.

You are correct in saying that there is a very lucrative opportunity in buying these shoes and flipping them. I believe you are also correct in your comparison to baseball cards.

This is why it was an easy decision to get rid of everything. I started doing that 2-3 years ago. I would advise anyone enveloped in this hobby to do the same. You can just see that bottom ready to drop out.

I'm 29.

I can't be wearing some other guy's shoes all the time anymore. I want my own.

smile.gif

All I can say is people have been predicting the downfall of JB for 7-8 years here on NT and it hasn't happened yet.

My other biggest concern is the quality.  A pair of Jordan IIIs will crack through the midsole after 4-5 wearings.  And still, the Jordan III sells out, year after year, colorway after colorway, and the shoes look like garbage one month into their life.  Not sure what this Jordan 'remastered' line will bring (other than a higher price tag), but it would be nice to see a pair of Jordans that stands up to wear and tear.  I also don't understand how kids have some much cash for Jordans.  I remember when I didn't eat lunch for 6 weeks so that I could save up to buy the Chutney Jordan XIII lows.  Now, I go to a release, and there are 14 year old kids buying multiple pairs.  Crazy
These kids are smart.. young entrepeneurs seeing an opportunity to wait their *** in line cause they aint got nothing better to do, and flip them to some grown men who couldnt cop a pair.  Crazy.

All I can say is people have been predicting the downfall of JB for 7-8 years here on NT and it hasn't happened yet.
this. jb pays people lots and lots of money to make sure they are still relavant and in demand.

why do you think they are remastering jordans? and the only way that they will continue to increase the retro output is if it makes sense to.

cards are pieces of paper. jordans are shoes. most of what op is saying makes sense, but jordans will always be in demand. even if it means stopping retro production all together.

Last edited:
The main difference to me is that I can get use out of my shoes and wear them. Getting use out of something brings more value than a piece of cardboard just sitting in your drawers at home.

However, there is a bubble for just about anything popular. Which is why I only keep a certain amount of shoes I like and definitely dont collect unwearable shoes. As great as OG Jordans are, they are really useless to me if I cant at least wear them. Thats why there will always be value in 1's.

The main difference to me is that I can get use out of my shoes and wear them. Getting use out of something brings more value than a piece of cardboard just sitting in your drawers at home.

However, there is a bubble for just about anything popular. Which is why I only keep a certain amount of shoes I like and definitely dont collect unwearable shoes. As great as OG Jordans are, they are really useless to me if I cant at least wear them. Thats why there will always be value in 1's.
plus i will always love jordans regardless of their monetary value. i'm a jordan fan. i appreciate the accomplishments and the history that was done in them. with the cards, its like money... once they lose their value, they are trash.

BUMP

I am at the point I have 30 pairs of DS pairs dating back to 2000 that I'm either going to start wearing or selling.

Nike is sucking the life out of the "shoe game" with the hundreds of releases, re-releases, re-re-releases, and restocks all year long. The thought that you are purchasing something "exclusive" or limited is not possible anymore. The demand is always there and they are simply feeding and making so much money supplying the demand. They won't stop.

If you want something exclusive it seems like you need to get some customs made. There has been so many new shoe customisers the last few years, the evolution of customizing is at an all time high. 

Sold my entire collection except for Tokyo & Oregon V's & my frags , nothing else matters to me anymore

Hit the nail on the head.  I'm 35, and I vividly remember the card boom.  Comic books were the same way at the time.  Variant editions, hologram covers, chromium covers, etc.  A ******** of different versions of one book, all marketed as 'rare' or 'premium'.  All sold out immediately, and within a day you had a $3 book selling for $75, and the people selling them for that had hundreds of copies.  Sometimes it was the same people selling the cards.  Within a few years, the market bottomed out and now you can get those same comics in the $1 bins if you go to a shop, the same way you can find the cards that would've cost you hundreds back then.  

I just started getting back into Jordans once the Aqua VIIIs came out since they were my favorites as a kid, and I've since gotten 8 pairs of different VIII and VI CWs and the 72-10s, but they're all to wear.  I only get the models I had as a kid.  Not having been paying attention for years, the sheer amount of releases is staggering.  There's a new one every week it seems, and I was used to there being 1 Jordan release a year.  I had no idea that there were so damn many releases these days.  It's almost a full-time job to keep up with them.  There's nowhere for the market to go but down, though I don't think we'll see much of a drop in releases.  They'll just be easier and easier to get, which is good for everyone except resellers.

I hate to say this but....Jordan has an incredible amount of influence on the urban community....something baseball card companies never had.....so therefore....the sneaker craze will be here for a long time to come...

Jordans were and are popular in the 80's, 90's, 2000's, 2010's. The thing is, the more of us get older we lose interest, but there will always be a newer generation to pick up where we left off.

I agree with most of this but I do feel jb is somewhat thinking it aswell so now they are dropping nike air models and charging more...I do think once all these og nike airs drop it will be alot longer than people think before they return and no not 5 years more like 10 to 15

Back
Top Bottom