AJ XXX (30)

Also no offense to the guy trying to pitch himself as the next great JB designer, got a long way to go and that design looks nothing like the XX9. Only comparison is the over-sized Jumpman. Different sole, midsole, tongue height, collar, no lace cover. And as a designer (granted in a different field) who also dabbles in shoe design as a hobby, I can say I don't see any resemblance. 

I'm only here to share my experience and I do have people working on the inside but I wanted to hear from the lost voices in the wilderness before I started implementing my plan to get in there. Besides there was one NTer who came on here showing his designs and he ended up becoming a Nike designer so I never overlook the networking possibilities found in this particular forum.
Sooo...you've already been to Beaverton, shopped your demo to Tinker Hatfield and NOW you need help finding inroads to Nike/JB? I'm thinking joining NT for that purpose is a step in the wrong direction bruh.

Last edited:
Although I am still on the fence (this happens to 90 plus percent of us with Air Jordan releases) in regards to if I will purchase a pair or not, I find it funny the complaints about the shoe is actually what has made the Air Jordan line a classic for 30 years. It seems people forget that with many of the Air Jordans, the next sig was similar to the previous especially for the earlier models that are everyone's favorite or better yet the models that most of the younger and even some of the older generations will only "count" as an Air Jordan shoe. As well with many of the Air Jordans the shoes were simple with some subtle flare or details to make them pop. Most of the J's with these characteristics are the very SAME retros that we ALL go crazy about when they release.

IMO that is true to an extent, but how many times have we known that Tinker was working on something else but didn't finish in time and had to throw something together then release it? That's the issue. This is not what he originally envisioned, usually we get that version. Based on his prototype it looked very stylish and most likely woulda had the tech savvy. Jus saying

I'm only here to share my experience and I do have people working on the inside but I wanted to hear from the lost voices in the wilderness before I started implementing my plan to get in there. Besides there was one NTer who came on here showing his designs and he ended up becoming a Nike designer so I never overlook the networking possibilities found in this particular forum.
Your gonna have to do a lot of work if your gonna do what @ALPHAPROJECT  (Jason Petrie) did. 

Although I am still on the fence (this happens to 90 plus percent of us with Air Jordan releases) in regards to if I will purchase a pair or not, I find it funny the complaints about the shoe is actually what has made the Air Jordan line a classic for 30 years. It seems people forget that with many of the Air Jordans, the next sig was similar to the previous especially for the earlier models that are everyone's favorite or better yet the models that most of the younger and even some of the older generations will only "count" as an Air Jordan shoe. As well with many of the Air Jordans the shoes were simple with some subtle flare or details to make them pop. Most of the J's with these characteristics are the very SAME retros that we ALL go crazy about when they release.

IMO that is true to an extent, but how many times have we known that Tinker was working on something else but didn't finish in time and had to throw something together then release it? That's the issue. This is not what he originally envisioned, usually we get that version. Based on his prototype it looked very stylish and most likely woulda had the tech savvy. Jus saying

there's always next year bruh.... its not like the XXX is garbage and this allows dude to finish up the work he didnt complete. If its true then there must have been some significant issue that caused the shoe to not pass the design or testing phase.

yes, you can draw up this pretty picture of a product but it doesnt mean anything if it will be junk in real life due to technical flaws/issues.

dont rush excellence. im glad nike didnt drop an incomplete/flawed/furred shoe.

Your gonna have to do a lot of work if your gonna do what @ALPHAPROJECT
 (Jason Petrie) did. 

i thought he was referencing BP and JP joined NT after he was already part of nike.

i thought he was referencing BP and JP joined NT after he was already part of nike.
True JP just popped in my head first. I thought JP started working at Nike in 03-04, he started posting here in 02 didn't he? Either way if using NT as a means to get Nike or JB to notice you have to come up with some very creative stuff and show some crazy talent. Especially with how popular shoes are now I've seen some very talented people, some only in High School, posting stuff of IG and Twitter. 

True JP just popped in my head first. I thought JP started working at Nike in 03-04, he started posting here in 02 didn't he? Either way if using NT as a means to get Nike or JB to notice you have to come up with some very creative stuff and show some crazy talent. Especially with how popular shoes are now I've seen some very talented people, some only in High School, posting stuff of IG and Twitter. 

I honesty am not sure about JP to be honest so you could very well be right.

I just remember BPs PS work and the love it got. He then had to get off of NT due to him working for a company we didn't know the specifics on. Maybe he worked his way to Nike?

A bunch of slow blind people on here. Its the same design elements. Not the same exact shoe. If you truly are a designer then you would know that. How does one have a blank sheet of paper and come up with 90% of the same design and then haters try to act like they don't see it? I can easily change subtle little things on my design and come up with the 29. Look at Tinker's rendering of the 30 does his initial drawing look exactly like the 30 No. So when its manufactured of course its not 100% the SAME design. Anyway my drawing looks closer to the 29s finish product than the drawing of the 30s look like the finished product. The fact that it only takes a few changes to get from my design to the 29s says a lot whether the haters on here agree or not. Others brought to my attention so I'm not making this up and they were not even Jumpman junkies like some of you are on here. How did they recognize but you can't... sounds like hate to me. Oh yeah I'm the best designer for the job. You looking at my work 15 years ago and its good enough to be the flagship Jordan for last yeara so yeah I stand by the next great designer because I know for damn sure I can do way better than the 30s the hypebeast in here keep slobbering over. In my sleep on my worst day but just like haters to want to block entry of a more capable person.
Also no offense to the guy trying to pitch himself as the next great JB designer, got a long way to go and that design looks nothing like the XX9. Only comparison is the over-sized Jumpman. Different sole, midsole, tongue height, collar, no lace cover. And as a designer (granted in a different field) who also dabbles in shoe design as a hobby, I can say I don't see any resemblance. 

Yea the anticipation is gone. Back in the day MJ wore the shoe 1st so errrybody wanted that shoe and couldn't wait for it to drop. That is gone and we can never get back. So you gotta drop some hot ish or else.

I dig the xxx,it has endless possibilites,ppl need to stop being critics and just rock or don't rock,I been off jb since 23s but these joints fire,the xxx on heel and midsole are sickness

Yea the anticipation is gone. Back in the day MJ wore the shoe 1st so errrybody wanted that shoe and couldn't wait for it to drop. That is gone and we can never get back. So you gotta drop some hot ish or else.

But it's a hot shoe to plenty of people. That's the thing.

Something bigger was definitely planned. A few months ago while in Paris, Tinker almost slipped out privy XXX info related to Italy. That progress likely needed more time, further testing. Remember, there are several midsoles used for the FlightSpeed system, but there's only ONE being used with the weave. The point I'm getting at is, it wasn't about needing the same midsole for FlightSpeed, it's about the Woven and the midsole. That woven possibly NEEDS that midsole (side walls) to tie in support and the heel lockdown. The new midsole probably hasn't measured up.

There was a “Plan B”: The unique construction process presented a number of problems for the team behind the Air Jordan XX9, and there were moments where it appeared that the shoe might not be done in time. “I started working on a ‘Plan B – a more traditional upper,” explained Tinker.

Sourcing material from Italy doesn’t make things easy: Because the weaving process was so new, it presented some logistic challenges. During the development of the shoe, the uppers were being woven in Italy, then air freighted to Asia, where an engineering team was tasked with figuring out how to turn that material into the final product.

Read more: http://*************.com/news/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-air-jordan-xx9/#ixzz3xKlyzgkf

So if this presented a problem during the XX9, imagine what could have happened as they tried to push limits. Of course, they could have said that, but maybe they will eventually..

200 isn't that bad compared to other shoes.

I mean its only 50 more than almost 20 years ago.

That kinda shocked me a little too seeing as jb has been upping prices.

150 to 175 is where its at tho.

gonna feel weird buying some jordans again 8)

Something bigger was definitely planned. A few months ago while in Paris, Tinker almost slipped out privy XXX info related to Italy. That progress likely needed more time, further testing. Remember, there are several midsoles used for the FlightSpeed system, but there's only ONE being used with the weave. The point I'm getting at is, it wasn't about needing the same midsole for FlightSpeed, it's about the Woven and the midsole. That woven possibly NEEDS that midsole (side walls) to tie in support and the heel lockdown. The new midsole probably hasn't measured up.
So if this presented a problem during the XX9, imagine what could have happened as they tried to push limits. Of course, they could have said that, but maybe they will eventually..
breh

This is a billion dollar corporation. They had 2 years to get this right. Instead of wasting time on the Spike Lees no one wants they should've obsessively worked on the XXX seeing as how it is a landmark shoe on the flagship model.

The only excuse Im buying is if they wanted to implement a power lace system, it didn't go well, and they ran out of time. Anything else is horse****. Tinker's demeanor at the unveiling was literally 'this shoe sucks, I know it, you know it, Im going to sit up here and half heartedly play it off, the toe box though'. So uninspired and thrown together. The big bang theory? The dunk contest poster? Wat? 

Jordan said it best without even being there to say it. 'IDGAF and neither should you'.

Lol, have you even played in the xx9?

There's enough bounce in the phylon heel it actually is more cushioned than most shoes with zoom in the heel.

As far as playing in the Js since 88 with air unit doesnt mean anything. Prior to the xi, I believe most had the air unit encased in the PU midsole which the air unit makes zero difference because the PU are so dense. It wasn't Until Nike started top loading the air unit you could feel the difference.

The last sig jordans I bought were the 28 se. Couldn' bring myself to buy the 29s with just phylon in the heel that will eventually bottom out The early jordans did have a PU midsole and you could most definitely feel the air units on all the OG jordans back in the day

Last edited:
The last sig jordans I bought were the 28 se. Couldn' bring myself to buy the 29s with just phylon in the heel that will eventually bottom out The early jordans did have a PU midsole and you could most definitely feel the air units on all the OG jordans back in the day
I disagree. Ever pull the insoles out of the OGs (pre-XI) and walk around in them? I have, and the heels were blocks. The insoles made them feel better than they actually were.

My feet cant even remember what insoles felt like back in the OG days :lol

i just remember them feeling good and me hooping in each Jordan from 11 - 15 from 6th - high school. my feet were much different then too. younger versions of you dont feel the same way about the "feel" as you of today.

i think its a couple of things:

its the XXX and people are genuinely pissed that JB didnt blow them out of the water with the XXX edition
the midsole (as you mentioned).... people hold JB to higher standards when it comes to the sig shoe. they expect something new and mindblowing every year

had this been the XX8 to XX9 (where the XX9 is the XX8 and the XXX is the XX9), im not sure it would be the same uproar. The fact that this is the XXX which is supposed to be special has some feeling some kinda way.

personally, im happy with the XXX so far and im eager to see if they can really set it off with the colors of this model.

I think people were expecting some futuristic Nike Mag meets basketball sneaker for the XXX. something that self laces, lights up, and makes you jump 10 feet in the air

I just remember BPs PS work and the love it got. He then had to get off of NT due to him working for a company we didn't know the specifics on. Maybe he worked his way to Nike?
im pretty sure bp went to APL.

im pretty sure bp went to APL.

Wasn't sure if he migrated to Nike or not. It's been a few years now :(

Back
Top Bottom