AJ XXX (30)

He's right, though. I remember a lot of his designs not being received well. Now they are classics. He's also right, the shoe will be a performance Ferrari.

I mentioned how some Jordan's weren't well received earlier in this thread and was told I was wrong :rollin

The 7's, first shoe released were the Bordeux's. Looked like boots and had nothing to do with a Bulls jersey.

The 8's had Air Raid like straps and people complained about the carpet look on the tongue.

The 9's first colorway was the White/Black, the shoes looked like moon boots at the time. Let's not mention the Olive colorway that was on discount because most everyone didn't like them.

The 10's, kinda basic and not that "Wow" factor when they were first seen.

These were popular opinions of the shoes when they were released. The shoes grew on you as more colorways were released and you saw them more.

He's right, though. I remember a lot of his designs not being received well. Now they are classics. He's also right, the shoe will be a performance Ferrari.

I mentioned how some Jordan's weren't well received earlier in this thread and was told I was wrong :rollin

The 7's, first shoe released were the Bordeux's. Looked like boots and had nothing to do with a Bulls jersey.

The 8's had Air Raid like straps and people complained about the carpet look on the tongue.

The 9's first colorway was the White/Black, the shoes looked like moon boots at the time. Let's not mention the Olive colorway that was on discount because most everyone didn't like them.

These were popular opinions of the shoes when they were released. The shoes grew on you as more colorways were released and you saw them more.

You have to remember that people that tell you you are wrong just don't know any better.

June 2015 interview from Complex.com
BF: Is there one new technology you look at now and think, “I wish I had that when I was playing”?

MJ: The 29s. I think in terms of innovation — and I’ve only been able to walk in them and never played in them, though I wish I could have — that shoe in itself is incredibly comfortable but I think it responds to a lot of things that you do when it comes to performing at basketball. We’re working in the 30 now, which I think is a step up from the 29. The work in innovation in the technology that goes into the shoes now is far greater than anything I played in. Those shoes have evolved into signature things, but in terms of innovation, the shoes have improved tremendously since I played.
The GOAT told the truth. They WERE still working on the 30 and it IS a step up from the 29. If that's what HE wanted, why do we feel so shanked? :\

You have to remember that people that tell you you are wrong just don't know any better.

True, I just clearly remember that many Jordan's were beloved at first sight. They usually had to grow on you with the exception of the first six pairs. The 2's weren't all that loved either.

I mentioned how some Jordan's weren't well received earlier in this thread and was told I was wrong
roll.gif

7s looked like a sleeker 6 with a hurache bootie in them. Plus bugs bunny. What's not to love? No one had a problem with 7s. Since when did people start liking 8s? The 9's were well received so that's irrelevant. Olives are still garbage unless you plan on dying them black. The 10s are kind of like the 8s, the vast majority of the fans consider those 'meh' at best. So....

None of this prove's Tinker's point. Initial opinions on these shoes never changed for the most part.

Last edited:
Um, go back through the thread and tell me I don't know what Im talking about. 95% of complaints are about the re-use of the midsole. The rest are about the Jumpman on the toe.

What top performer did he design last year? He said it himself, all he does is a 10 minute sketch then he hands it off to whoever to develop it further. Either he's got too much on his plate or he's not finishing whats on his plate. What he needs to do is grab a plate and kick his feet up, he's done.

Um, go back through the thread and tell me I don't know what Im talking about. 95% of complaints are about the re-use of the midsole. The rest are about the Jumpman on the toe.

Who cares about the re-use of the midsole. It's not always about drastic change. You people have illogical expectations. Furthermore, no one complaining could design a shoe half as good. We have a lot of sideline QB's here. :lol

He's not right. The complaints are mainly about his laziness.

They need to put this confused has-been out to pasture.
The 28 design was possibly the most innovative shoe on the market.  The 29 completely redesigned the upper that we typically associate with basketball shoes.  The 30, while not a big leap from the XX9, is still better than damn near every shoe on the market.

Just because a shoe isn't a complete redesign from everything else doesn't mean it is a failure.  Hell, look at the Kobe and Lebron lines.  I can't tell which version is which half the time because they look almost identical.

It is illogical to expect someone to be able to completely re-design everything every single year and still put out a great shoe.  Everyone has different tastes.  The XX9 for the most part was very well received.

First and foremost though, these are basketball shoes that are meant to play basketball in.  I guarantee they are going to be a better basketball shoe than 95% of the shoes out there and at the end of the day that is what they are going for.  If you don't like what it looks like, wear a damn retro shoe.

Last edited:
I don't own 29s but is that cushioning great enough to warrant using it again?
Yes, the flightspeed plate is a performance monster on the court. I've always preferred wearing Kobe's since the Huarache 2K4's but this Jordan has over taken any Kobe I've worn on the court. 

This guy needs to be banned immediately for saying this haha

He's definitely high on the tobacco...or something else. :lol

He obviously doesn't play basketball. He should stick with the New York fashion shows.

The thing is, I would wear these casually too.
I really wished they did the upper on the xx8 some justic cause I would have been rocking those too. Mid soles on the xx8 are amazing looking to me.

while it would take a while to be able to look back and say that this was a design that wasn't well received at first, but now are considered a classic design (like when the XIs first dropped), too me the XXXs are instantly an appealing design. I haven't purchased a signature since the 23, and have only purchased retros of the I, III, IV, and XI but I am strongly considering scooping these up when they release...

And to the people who are complaining about the use of the same midsole.  I ask you to go buy a pair of 28's and wear them about 10-15 times for basketball.

Unlocked zoom is definitely the best and most innovative cushioning out there, but it is also very finnicky.  Anyone who has run through more than 1 pair of 28's and sent them back to Nike knows this.  I guarantee the failure rate of the 28 midsole and the durabilty of the XX9 midsole played a huge factor in re-using the 29 midsole.

I totally agree because I'm old enough to! This was definitely popular opinion back then. Unless you lived in a remote place or you are under 34, you probably don't understand the full weight of what this guy is saying.

Back
Top Bottom