AJ XXX (30)

I am by no means athletic. Never have been. I'm a married 25 yo. 5'11 and 235 lbs. Like I said not athletic. I don't work out or exercise.

The majority of my sneaker footwear are basketball shoes. I buy what I like.

Do my shoe choices necessarily match up to my physical self? Nope. But I buy and wear what I like.

The more I look at these the better I think I like them. Will buy when I see a good price.

Last edited:
:lol: Not disagreeing, but there's an entire demographic that you have to consider. The 13U-17U summer AAU circuit take the performance of their shoes very seriously. These cats will have $600 in 29s, LeBron 12s, and Kobe 9/10s in their bag for a weekend tourney. My son plays 14U and gave a shockingly coherent analysis comparing the 29, LBJ 12, and Kobe 10 Elite Highs. As for myself, I just like to wear a $200+ shoe to demo the proper way to defend a pick & roll! Ha!

Yep, and their review on traction, tech, and game play is more worthwhile than a lot of these jokers on instagram and YouTube.

Last edited:
These shoes are super fresh. I love the design of them.

I feel as if the crowd saying these are ugly af are younger people / relatively new people to sneakers.

The reason I believe that is because they expect all Jordan's to have a lifestyle design. Something that can be worn down with mostly joggers. Ex: Retro's 1-14. At the end of the day, Jordan's are performance / basketball shoes. You cannot expect shoes to have all this great new technology and materials and look like Retro's 1-3. Additionally in all honestly, Retro's 1-14 are pretty bad shoes to play basketball in.

Shoe looks like as if it well perform very well on court. As they are ended to do so.

/endrant

The designs of the signature Jordan have always been polarizing to a degree when they first came out because they often times looked like nothing else on the market. Some people like them others hate them. I'm probably one of the older guys on the board since I wore the 1-17s and a few past those models. This model for me has some nice design elements, the turn off design wise is when they overuse the jumpman. The best designs IMO always feature other elements. And yes these need to be a performance shoe first, but I'd add also push the envelope in design.

Last edited:
My thoughts about the XXX...

I'd be willing to bet that the designers started working on the XXX shortly after or right before the release of the XX9, but a few things happened that caused them to scrap the original ideas and bring Tinker in. My guesses would be, the changes they were trying to make to the early versions weren't performing well AND/OR MJ didn't like the direction. From there they probably tried to refine the design more and at the same time the XX9 is becoming a hit on the court as far as performance. So you have two things happening, they aren't getting anywhere with the new design and time is starting to tick for final design or a good wear/test grade. So somewhere along the line someone (maybe Tinker after MJ asked him to step in) said "we have this great tech going with the XX9 and it's being received/performing well, lets build on that." and so they did. And here we are today...

I like the look of the XXX and look forward to seeing them in person.... I have 2 pairs of XX9's that I wear to hoop and I love them, so I'm not mad at the idea they perform similar. The XXX does look like they maybe improved on the traction a bit, which makes me happy since that has always been a complaint of the XX9's for me.
This is pretty much what happened...at least what i heard from my buddies that work at Jordan brand.  Still believe more design changes or innovations could be done on the upper.

I am also an avid user of both the xx8 and xx9 and love the shoe.  Just would have liked to see a bit more creativity with the performance wover upper, which I believe they have just scratched the surface with the possibilities here.

Lets hope for better inline/energy release colorways this way around.  The PEs of the XX9 were awesome compared to what the general public received

I'd pay retail for that galaxy color. Everything else is Outlet hash wall sale prices

Last edited:
I actually like how the 29s and these 29.5s look but the no air n the heel is a deal dealer for me. I have been buying and playing in Jordan's since 1988. The fact that they are gutting tech rubs me the wrong way. I find it interesting that they never really went into to cushioning set up in detail in the reveal or in the diagram. Just talking about fit. The upper. Traction. Etc. disappointed to say the least

Last edited:
I actually like how the 29s and these 28.5s look but the no air n the heel is a deal dealer for me. I have been buying and playing in Jordan's since 1988. The fact that they are gutting tech rubs me the wrong way. I find it interesting that they never really went into to cushioning set up in detail in the reveal or in the diagram. Just talking about fit. The upper. Traction. Etc. disappointed to say the least

Lol, have you even played in the xx9?

There's enough bounce in the phylon heel it actually is more cushioned than most shoes with zoom in the heel.

As far as playing in the Js since 88 with air unit doesnt mean anything. Prior to the xi, I believe most had the air unit encased in the PU midsole which the air unit makes zero difference because the PU are so dense. It wasn't Until Nike started top loading the air unit you could feel the difference.

I like this shoe and it will be the first inline jordan I've purchased in a while. A lot of you all that are bashing the shoe are too hung up on retros. Gone are the days of 50 straps, nubuck and patent leather. Those materials are too heavy and bulky. It's all about lightweight material and minimalism. This new generation of athletes are exposed to lightweight athletic footwear and no way is JB going to take a step back.

It reminds of when I worked at Apple, and my friends would ask me every year if the new iPhone is going to have a keyboard. No, because that's moving backwards.

The designs of the signature Jordan have always been polarizing to a degree when they first came out because they often times looked like nothing else on the market. Some people like them others hate them. I'm probably one of the older guys on the board since I wore the 1-17s and a few past those models. This model for me has some nice design elements, the turn off design wise is when they overuse the jumpman. The best designs IMO always feature other elements. And yes these need to be a performance shoe first, but I'd add also push the envelope in design.

The 30 would be actually OK to me if the 29 never existed.
But reusing the sole of the previous model for an Air Jordan is a No-Go.
Even the Lebrons 11 mids, lows and Elites had all different soles!

If the 29 never existed these woulda been awesome for the 30th model.

Alotta the disappointment is also due to the fact that its the 30th model.
One of the great things of air jordans is that level of anticipation as to what the next model is going to be...some unheard of, impossibly imaginative design.
The 11 to the 12 ...13...14...15.....that run of creativity imo is unmatched not just in sneaker design....but shoe design.

we all remember the 20th anniversary with the XX. Completely different.

with the 30 i cant lie i was expecting some kind of revolutionary design...self lacing...no laces.....new material.....something out of the box. I wouldn't say im disappointed tho...Its not what i was expecting but they look good...best since the 23 imho.

It could have been a more memorable design.

these look better than the new brons and kobes to me too.

Last edited:
I don't understand how the first release can have such a basic color way. The first release should be something special or something in a bulls/hornets colorway. 

Im the opposite ^^^

All my fav Jordans are the basic cws
White black 13
White black 14
Taxi 12
Those types....mostly white...with a little black and red

If u disagree i can meet you at your location

The "turn" is happening for me.

I think a predominantly black colorway would be clean.

3RD COLORWAY IS BEAUTIFUL

View media item 1870019

ROFL...X vs XXX?
I would say III vs XXX not?

The disappointing thing about the XXX is not whether it looks good but that JB went with a design that does not offer us anything new. The sole is from 29 and was already a further development from the 28. Flyknit exists already for a few years and the Kobe 9 Elites already debuted it as the first basketball shoe to use it.
Lacing System is the same like the 29.
The collar might be memorial foam but that was already introduced by the 18.

Last edited:
Im the opposite ^^^
All my fav Jordans are the basic cws
White black 13
White black 14
Taxi 12
Those types....mostly white...with a little black and red

If u disagree i can meet you at your location

Nothing wrong with that. But I'd say with the XX9 and the X Rateds, the potential of the upper is greater now. The biggest disappointment with the XX9 was the lack iD and horrible color ways designs. There were obviously some nice PEs like the UNC, Oregon, etc. And the Photo Reels were cool if too limited.

I'm more excited by the Kobe XI than the X Rateds. Many can say it's the same, same with the XIs but it's not literally the same mid and outsole with a possible weave upper.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom