All-encompassing Cleveland Indians thread. 46 days until Opening Day.

18 of the 24 replies have been made by non-Indians fans and the wandering soul trying to find his baseball way. 
laugh.gif

Speaking of that fitted, I just picked it up 20 minutes ago.

Edit: I added a few basic things to the original post.

18 of the 24 replies have been made by non-Indians fans and the wandering soul trying to find his baseball way. 
laugh.gif

Speaking of that fitted, I just picked it up 20 minutes ago.

Edit: I added a few basic things to the original post.

I've grown somewhat attached to the Indians. I don't dislike em as much as I did when I was younger. I'd be lying if I said Kev's hate for the Yanks didn't make me pay a little closer attention a few years ago to find things to hate about them
laugh.gif

I've grown somewhat attached to the Indians. I don't dislike em as much as I did when I was younger. I'd be lying if I said Kev's hate for the Yanks didn't make me pay a little closer attention a few years ago to find things to hate about them
laugh.gif

Santana has no limitations right now. He's participating in spring training as if an injury never happened.

Sizemore's process is slow and steady. He's still a few months away from being ready for real baseball.

Baseball America Organization Report
Thehighlight of the Indians' 2010 season came when top prospect CarlosSantana made his major league debut on June 11. The 24-year-old catcherhit .260/.401/.467 before his season ended in gruesome fashion Aug. 2.A home-plate collision with Ryan Kalish ended with Santana gettingcarted off the field and requiring surgery on his left knee.

Even when it had Santana in its lineup, Cleveland struggled. TheIndians finished 69-93 on the heels of going 65-97 in 2009, their twoworst back-to-back years since 1914-15. The losing on the field hascoincided with an accompanying decline in attendance, and the 1.39million fans who came out in 2010 were a record low for Jacobs Fieldand the team's lowest mark since 1992.

After the season, general manager Mark Shapiro moved up to teampresident and assistant GM Chris Antonetti took over for Shapiro, amove the club had announced in February. Major changes in how the cluboperates aren't expected, as Antonetti already was heavily involved inthe team's decision-making process and the rest of the front officeremained largely in place.

Cleveland had difficulty creating and preventing runs in 2010, ranking26th in baseball in runs scored and 24th in runs allowed while gettingfew contributions from truly homegrown players. Fausto Carmona led thepitching staff, but he was signed back in 2000 out of the DominicanRepublic.

Tony Sipp, a 45th-round draft-and-follow from 2004, was an effectiveset-up man. Trevor Crowe, a 2005 first-round pick, had the lowest OPS(.634) among regular American League outfielders. David Huff, theteam's top pick (sandwich round) in 2006, had a 6.21 ERA in 15 starts.

The Indians have had more success trading for young players thansigning and developing them—Chris Perez emerged as a somewhat wild buteffective closer, and Carlos Carrasco came up in September and showedthe potential to be a mid-rotation starter—part of the reason they havefound themselves near the bottom of the American League Central thelast two seasons.

Based on the on-field success of recent top picks, Cleveland's draftdrought could end soon. Lonnie Chisenhall, the club's 2008 first-roundpick, has become one of the game's best third-base prospects and ranksNo. 1 on the Indians list. The Indians' picks from the first threerounds in 2009—righthander Alex White, second baseman Jason Kipnis andrighthander Joe Gardner—all dominated in their first full seasons.

Though many of their premium choices in 2010 signed too late to playmuch, Baseball America rated the crop headlined by lefthander DrewPomeranz and outfielder LeVon Washington as the best draft in the game.Cleveland spent $9.4 million on bonuses, more than all but four otherteams.

While the Indians got a strong showing from White, the development ofseveral other starters hit some speed bumps. Promising righthandersAlexander Perez and Hector Rondon had Tommy John surgery. Kelvin de laCruz and Nick Hagadone, who missed significant time in the past witharm injuries, battled their deliveries and struggled to take the nextstep forward.

Their return to contention might still be a few years away, but theIndians hope the ability to develop their own draft picks will givethem a more stable pipeline of talent for the big league club. That'spreferable to relying on getting young talent by trading away theirbest big leaguers—Cliff Lee, Victor Marintez, C.C. Sabathia—as they'vehad to in recent years.

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)][/color][table][tr][td]1.[/td][td]Lonnie Chisenhall, 3b[/td][/tr][tr][td]2.[/td][td]Alex White, rhp[/td][/tr][tr][td]3.[/td][td]Jason Kipnis, 2b[/td][/tr][tr][td]4.[/td][td]Drew Pomeranz, lhp[/td][/tr][tr][td]5.[/td][td]Nick Weglarz, of[/td][/tr][tr][td]6.[/td][td]Jason Knapp, rhp[/td][/tr][tr][td]7.[/td][td]LeVon Washington, of[/td][/tr][tr][td]8.[/td][td]Tony Wolters, ss[/td][/tr][tr][td]9.[/td][td]Joe Gardner, rhp[/td][/tr][tr][td]10.[/td][td]Nick Hagadone, lhp[/td][/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]Best Hitter for Average[/td][td]Lonnie Chisenhall[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Power Hitter[/td][td]Nick Weglarz[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Strike-Zone Discipline[/td][td]Jordan Henry[/td][/tr][tr][td]Fastest Baserunner[/td][td]Delvi Cid[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Athlete[/td][td]LeVon Washington[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Fastball[/td][td]Jason Knapp[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Curveball[/td][td]Drew Pomeranz[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Slider[/td][td]Josh Judy[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Changeup[/td][td]T.J. House[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Control[/td][td]Matt Packer[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Defensive Catcher[/td][td]Roberto Perez[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Defensive Infielder[/td][td]Kyle Bellows[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Infield Arm[/td][td]Giovanny Urshela[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Defensive Outfielder[/td][td]Ezequiel Carrera[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Outfield Arm[/td][td]Abner Abreu[/td][/tr][/table]

Santana has no limitations right now. He's participating in spring training as if an injury never happened.

Sizemore's process is slow and steady. He's still a few months away from being ready for real baseball.

Baseball America Organization Report
Thehighlight of the Indians' 2010 season came when top prospect CarlosSantana made his major league debut on June 11. The 24-year-old catcherhit .260/.401/.467 before his season ended in gruesome fashion Aug. 2.A home-plate collision with Ryan Kalish ended with Santana gettingcarted off the field and requiring surgery on his left knee.

Even when it had Santana in its lineup, Cleveland struggled. TheIndians finished 69-93 on the heels of going 65-97 in 2009, their twoworst back-to-back years since 1914-15. The losing on the field hascoincided with an accompanying decline in attendance, and the 1.39million fans who came out in 2010 were a record low for Jacobs Fieldand the team's lowest mark since 1992.

After the season, general manager Mark Shapiro moved up to teampresident and assistant GM Chris Antonetti took over for Shapiro, amove the club had announced in February. Major changes in how the cluboperates aren't expected, as Antonetti already was heavily involved inthe team's decision-making process and the rest of the front officeremained largely in place.

Cleveland had difficulty creating and preventing runs in 2010, ranking26th in baseball in runs scored and 24th in runs allowed while gettingfew contributions from truly homegrown players. Fausto Carmona led thepitching staff, but he was signed back in 2000 out of the DominicanRepublic.

Tony Sipp, a 45th-round draft-and-follow from 2004, was an effectiveset-up man. Trevor Crowe, a 2005 first-round pick, had the lowest OPS(.634) among regular American League outfielders. David Huff, theteam's top pick (sandwich round) in 2006, had a 6.21 ERA in 15 starts.

The Indians have had more success trading for young players thansigning and developing them—Chris Perez emerged as a somewhat wild buteffective closer, and Carlos Carrasco came up in September and showedthe potential to be a mid-rotation starter—part of the reason they havefound themselves near the bottom of the American League Central thelast two seasons.

Based on the on-field success of recent top picks, Cleveland's draftdrought could end soon. Lonnie Chisenhall, the club's 2008 first-roundpick, has become one of the game's best third-base prospects and ranksNo. 1 on the Indians list. The Indians' picks from the first threerounds in 2009—righthander Alex White, second baseman Jason Kipnis andrighthander Joe Gardner—all dominated in their first full seasons.

Though many of their premium choices in 2010 signed too late to playmuch, Baseball America rated the crop headlined by lefthander DrewPomeranz and outfielder LeVon Washington as the best draft in the game.Cleveland spent $9.4 million on bonuses, more than all but four otherteams.

While the Indians got a strong showing from White, the development ofseveral other starters hit some speed bumps. Promising righthandersAlexander Perez and Hector Rondon had Tommy John surgery. Kelvin de laCruz and Nick Hagadone, who missed significant time in the past witharm injuries, battled their deliveries and struggled to take the nextstep forward.

Their return to contention might still be a few years away, but theIndians hope the ability to develop their own draft picks will givethem a more stable pipeline of talent for the big league club. That'spreferable to relying on getting young talent by trading away theirbest big leaguers—Cliff Lee, Victor Marintez, C.C. Sabathia—as they'vehad to in recent years.

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)][/color][table][tr][td]1.[/td][td]Lonnie Chisenhall, 3b[/td][/tr][tr][td]2.[/td][td]Alex White, rhp[/td][/tr][tr][td]3.[/td][td]Jason Kipnis, 2b[/td][/tr][tr][td]4.[/td][td]Drew Pomeranz, lhp[/td][/tr][tr][td]5.[/td][td]Nick Weglarz, of[/td][/tr][tr][td]6.[/td][td]Jason Knapp, rhp[/td][/tr][tr][td]7.[/td][td]LeVon Washington, of[/td][/tr][tr][td]8.[/td][td]Tony Wolters, ss[/td][/tr][tr][td]9.[/td][td]Joe Gardner, rhp[/td][/tr][tr][td]10.[/td][td]Nick Hagadone, lhp[/td][/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]Best Hitter for Average[/td][td]Lonnie Chisenhall[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Power Hitter[/td][td]Nick Weglarz[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Strike-Zone Discipline[/td][td]Jordan Henry[/td][/tr][tr][td]Fastest Baserunner[/td][td]Delvi Cid[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Athlete[/td][td]LeVon Washington[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Fastball[/td][td]Jason Knapp[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Curveball[/td][td]Drew Pomeranz[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Slider[/td][td]Josh Judy[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Changeup[/td][td]T.J. House[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Control[/td][td]Matt Packer[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Defensive Catcher[/td][td]Roberto Perez[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Defensive Infielder[/td][td]Kyle Bellows[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Infield Arm[/td][td]Giovanny Urshela[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Defensive Outfielder[/td][td]Ezequiel Carrera[/td][/tr][tr][td]Best Outfield Arm[/td][td]Abner Abreu[/td][/tr][/table]

Prospect rankings (Baseball America; Law):

Chisenhall: 25th; 39th
Kipnis, 54th; 56th
Pomeranz: 61st; 60th
White: 47th; special mention

Prospect rankings (Baseball America; Law):

Chisenhall: 25th; 39th
Kipnis, 54th; 56th
Pomeranz: 61st; 60th
White: 47th; special mention

Originally Posted by empirestrikesfirst

I dislike KC's colors and logo... 
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif
 I'm not going to lie, about 10 percent of this decision came down to the best fitted as well. 
laugh.gif

And when I was doing some research, it seemed like the Pirates owner was content with his team doing badly, as he was getting paid either way...

what in the hell Chris Chicago Cubs bro atleast id have someone to rant with
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by empirestrikesfirst

I dislike KC's colors and logo... 
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif
 I'm not going to lie, about 10 percent of this decision came down to the best fitted as well. 
laugh.gif

And when I was doing some research, it seemed like the Pirates owner was content with his team doing badly, as he was getting paid either way...

what in the hell Chris Chicago Cubs bro atleast id have someone to rant with
laugh.gif

LEGGO 
pimp.gif
 Our season hinges on Sizemore's comeback and Santana's continued development.
The one thing I have to say about Masterson is that Boston knew what they had when they traded him to Cleveland. I'm not sure Masterson will ever be a top of the rotation pitcher. 

LEGGO 
pimp.gif
 Our season hinges on Sizemore's comeback and Santana's continued development.
The one thing I have to say about Masterson is that Boston knew what they had when they traded him to Cleveland. I'm not sure Masterson will ever be a top of the rotation pitcher. 

is Grady to LF just a message board rumor?

It doesn't seem like it.

The one thing I have to say about Masterson is that Boston knewwhat they had when they traded him to Cleveland. I'm not sure Mastersonwill ever be a top of the rotation pitcher.

How can you say that when he's going into the season as the Cleveland Indians' number two?
laugh.gif

I don't think he ever projected as a front-end starter. I envision third going forward.

I expect a huge leap in 2011. He's way too talented not to, and his second half of last year was a sign that it's coming, I think.

is Grady to LF just a message board rumor?

It doesn't seem like it.

The one thing I have to say about Masterson is that Boston knewwhat they had when they traded him to Cleveland. I'm not sure Mastersonwill ever be a top of the rotation pitcher.

How can you say that when he's going into the season as the Cleveland Indians' number two?
laugh.gif

I don't think he ever projected as a front-end starter. I envision third going forward.

I expect a huge leap in 2011. He's way too talented not to, and his second half of last year was a sign that it's coming, I think.

^ I'm just realistic, man. I watched Masterson a lot since I'm a big Beckett/Ellsbury fan. In general I've learned not to set expectations too high for my sports team or any of their individual players. The Indians, Eagles, and Sixers have disappointed me WAY too much over the past ten years or so. 
Marlins, Pats, Lakers 
sick.gif

^ I'm just realistic, man. I watched Masterson a lot since I'm a big Beckett/Ellsbury fan. In general I've learned not to set expectations too high for my sports team or any of their individual players. The Indians, Eagles, and Sixers have disappointed me WAY too much over the past ten years or so. 
Marlins, Pats, Lakers 
sick.gif

Speaking of second half success, here's a great post at the DiaTribe about our pitching as a whole after the break. I won't paste it because it is outrageously long, like every other entry on there (diatribe is such an appropriate name).

http://clevelandtribeblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/armed-with-optimism-on-lazy-sunday.html

Here are a few key points:
Is it actually possible that the 2011 pitching staff is being undervalued and overlooked?

Lest anyone forget (and Manny Acta is here to remind you), "the Indians were tied for fourth in the AL in the second half in ERAat 3.86" and while the All-Star Break is a largely superfluous date inthe MLB season, the performance of the teams' staff in the 2nd half islargely dismissed or outright ignored as an illusory source of hope oras a talking point for an organization in need of them.

Whilereservations about building up hope may be justified for each of thosereasons, realize that the period of time referenced by Acta is not a20-game or even a 40-game stretch of the season. The Indians' pitchersput that performance up over 74 games and, just to expand on Acta'sreminder, realize that the Indians' staff posted that cumulative 3.89ERA while pairing it with a cumulative 1.38 WHIP, with 480 K and 231 BBin the last 74 games of the season after the All-Star Break. The teamwas 35-39 to close out the season (third best record in the AL Centralin the second half) and that "success" was unquestionably paced by thatpitching staff that was tied for the 4thbest ERA after the All-Star Break, equaling the ERA of the Rangers'staff and better than the Red Sox, the Rays, the Blue Jays, White Sox,Tigers, and Yankees…among others.

However, back to those 2nd half numbers in 2010, take a look at the entire pitching staff's numbers after the All-Star Break last year.Considering what the top three in the rotation (in terms ofperformance, not the "#2/#3/#4" designation garbage) and the five maincomponents of the bullpen that figure in most obviously in 2011, doesthis stand out to you at all, in terms of 2010 ERA after the All-StarBreak?

C. Perez – 0.63 ERA
Lewis – 1.76 ERA
R. Perez – 2.40 ERA
Sipp – 2.81 ERA
Smith – 2.96 ERA
Carrasco – 3.83 ERA
Masterson – 3.84 ERA
Carmona – 3.93 ERA
As you will notice, though, starting slow and finishing strong has been a concerning trend for our pitchers for almost a decade now.

Speaking of second half success, here's a great post at the DiaTribe about our pitching as a whole after the break. I won't paste it because it is outrageously long, like every other entry on there (diatribe is such an appropriate name).

http://clevelandtribeblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/armed-with-optimism-on-lazy-sunday.html

Here are a few key points:
Is it actually possible that the 2011 pitching staff is being undervalued and overlooked?

Lest anyone forget (and Manny Acta is here to remind you), "the Indians were tied for fourth in the AL in the second half in ERAat 3.86" and while the All-Star Break is a largely superfluous date inthe MLB season, the performance of the teams' staff in the 2nd half islargely dismissed or outright ignored as an illusory source of hope oras a talking point for an organization in need of them.

Whilereservations about building up hope may be justified for each of thosereasons, realize that the period of time referenced by Acta is not a20-game or even a 40-game stretch of the season. The Indians' pitchersput that performance up over 74 games and, just to expand on Acta'sreminder, realize that the Indians' staff posted that cumulative 3.89ERA while pairing it with a cumulative 1.38 WHIP, with 480 K and 231 BBin the last 74 games of the season after the All-Star Break. The teamwas 35-39 to close out the season (third best record in the AL Centralin the second half) and that "success" was unquestionably paced by thatpitching staff that was tied for the 4thbest ERA after the All-Star Break, equaling the ERA of the Rangers'staff and better than the Red Sox, the Rays, the Blue Jays, White Sox,Tigers, and Yankees…among others.

However, back to those 2nd half numbers in 2010, take a look at the entire pitching staff's numbers after the All-Star Break last year.Considering what the top three in the rotation (in terms ofperformance, not the "#2/#3/#4" designation garbage) and the five maincomponents of the bullpen that figure in most obviously in 2011, doesthis stand out to you at all, in terms of 2010 ERA after the All-StarBreak?

C. Perez – 0.63 ERA
Lewis – 1.76 ERA
R. Perez – 2.40 ERA
Sipp – 2.81 ERA
Smith – 2.96 ERA
Carrasco – 3.83 ERA
Masterson – 3.84 ERA
Carmona – 3.93 ERA
As you will notice, though, starting slow and finishing strong has been a concerning trend for our pitchers for almost a decade now.

Every even-numbered day on the calendar, Sizemore puts in a fullworkout of running, throwing and hitting. He's unrestricted at theplate in batting practice, and the Indians are pleased to note that,for the first time in two years, he's actually able to put weight onhis back leg, thereby generating a power stroke that had gone AWOL.Sizemore hasn't homered since Aug. 27, 2009, so he's definitely due.
Sizemore is doing sprints, laterals and backward jogs at about 60percent intensity, with the hope of raising that level in the next weekto 10 days. The Indians have mid-March in mind for his Cactus Leaguedebut, and, even if all goes as planned, it's quite clear that theyhave no realistic intentions of him rejoining the lineup in time forOpening Day. Mid or late-April seem more likely for now.

Every even-numbered day on the calendar, Sizemore puts in a fullworkout of running, throwing and hitting. He's unrestricted at theplate in batting practice, and the Indians are pleased to note that,for the first time in two years, he's actually able to put weight onhis back leg, thereby generating a power stroke that had gone AWOL.Sizemore hasn't homered since Aug. 27, 2009, so he's definitely due.
Sizemore is doing sprints, laterals and backward jogs at about 60percent intensity, with the hope of raising that level in the next weekto 10 days. The Indians have mid-March in mind for his Cactus Leaguedebut, and, even if all goes as planned, it's quite clear that theyhave no realistic intentions of him rejoining the lineup in time forOpening Day. Mid or late-April seem more likely for now.

We officially signed Durbin.

Most people don't seem to like it, but I do. I fully expect the bullpen to be a strong point, and there are a few legitimate prospects that could factor in to who is already established, but this move screams competing this year to me. Plus, Smith and Lewis aren't exactly eighth inning righties right now.

They pitch in the sixth and seventh when needed, Sipp and Perez match up against lefties in the eighth, Durbin with righties. The other Perez closes, and there's a long man in there somewhere, which could be any number of players.

It'll be interesting to see who gets cut to make room for him.

Back
Top Bottom