All-encompassing Cleveland Indians thread. 46 days until Opening Day.

FinallyFamous wrote:
AT you said 42-40 for the Cavs too
laugh.gif
.  I know I thought playoffs were a possibility as well, but yeah.......................

Anyways I hope we can have a great season.  Our city really needs it.

laugh.gif

Let's keep the rotten tomatoes out of this thread.
tired.gif
. I'm kind of expecting a surprising season from the Tribe this year - I think it will be our shape-up season.

Anyways, here's a look at the payroll for the season. It pisses me off that Dolan isn't willing to spend money on the roster. Detroit, Chicago and Minnesota are all opening the season with a payroll exceeding $100 mil.

Either invest in the team or sell it Dolan, got damn.

(ranked between 26th and 28th in the league) :

[h4]
[h4]Tribe payroll[/h4]

• Here is the Indians' projected 25-man roster and what each player will make this season. Players who are expected to open the season on the disabled list are included.

1. Travis Hafner $13 mill.

2. Grady Sizemore $7.5 mill.*

3. Fausto Carmona $6.1 mill.

4. Shin-Soo Choo $3.975 mill.

5. Chris Perez $2.225 mill.

6. Asdrubal Cabrera $2.025 mill.

7. Rafael Perez $1.33 mill.

8. Austin Kearns $1.3 mill.

9. Orlando Cabrera $1 mill.

10. Joe Smith $850,000*

11. Chad Durbin $800,000

12. Adam Everett $700,000

13. Travis Buck $625,000

14. Shelley Duncan $500,000

15. Jack Hannahan $500,000

16. Justin Masterson $468,400

17. Tony Sipp $436,800

18. Trevor Crowe $435,700*

19. Mitch Talbot $431,700

20. Matt LaPorta $431,400

21. Jason Donald $423,200*

22. Lou Marson $424,300

23. Michael Brantley $421,800

24. Frank Herrmann $419,800

25. Josh Tomlin $417,200

26. Carlos Santana $416,600

27. Carlos Carrasco $415,800

28. Justin Germano 415,600

29. Vinnie Pestano $414,100

TOTAL $48,402,400

*Sizemore, Smith, Crowe and Donald are expected to begin the season on the disabled list.

Note: Jensen Lewis isn't on the roster, but the Indians are paying him $650,000. 
[/h4]

FinallyFamous wrote:
AT you said 42-40 for the Cavs too
laugh.gif
.  I know I thought playoffs were a possibility as well, but yeah.......................

Anyways I hope we can have a great season.  Our city really needs it.

laugh.gif

Let's keep the rotten tomatoes out of this thread.
tired.gif
. I'm kind of expecting a surprising season from the Tribe this year - I think it will be our shape-up season.

Anyways, here's a look at the payroll for the season. It pisses me off that Dolan isn't willing to spend money on the roster. Detroit, Chicago and Minnesota are all opening the season with a payroll exceeding $100 mil.

Either invest in the team or sell it Dolan, got damn.

(ranked between 26th and 28th in the league) :

[h4]
[h4]Tribe payroll[/h4]

• Here is the Indians' projected 25-man roster and what each player will make this season. Players who are expected to open the season on the disabled list are included.

1. Travis Hafner $13 mill.

2. Grady Sizemore $7.5 mill.*

3. Fausto Carmona $6.1 mill.

4. Shin-Soo Choo $3.975 mill.

5. Chris Perez $2.225 mill.

6. Asdrubal Cabrera $2.025 mill.

7. Rafael Perez $1.33 mill.

8. Austin Kearns $1.3 mill.

9. Orlando Cabrera $1 mill.

10. Joe Smith $850,000*

11. Chad Durbin $800,000

12. Adam Everett $700,000

13. Travis Buck $625,000

14. Shelley Duncan $500,000

15. Jack Hannahan $500,000

16. Justin Masterson $468,400

17. Tony Sipp $436,800

18. Trevor Crowe $435,700*

19. Mitch Talbot $431,700

20. Matt LaPorta $431,400

21. Jason Donald $423,200*

22. Lou Marson $424,300

23. Michael Brantley $421,800

24. Frank Herrmann $419,800

25. Josh Tomlin $417,200

26. Carlos Santana $416,600

27. Carlos Carrasco $415,800

28. Justin Germano 415,600

29. Vinnie Pestano $414,100

TOTAL $48,402,400

*Sizemore, Smith, Crowe and Donald are expected to begin the season on the disabled list.

Note: Jensen Lewis isn't on the roster, but the Indians are paying him $650,000. 
[/h4]

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

I'm thinking if we can get 85-95 wins, we're in there for October.   

I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

I'm thinking if we can get 85-95 wins, we're in there for October.   

I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

2012 was always the target date to really start competing again after all of the trades, so I expect real money (well, for the Indians) to be spent before next season.

Keep in mind that the organization spent an uncommon amount of money in the draft this past year, too.

2012 was always the target date to really start competing again after all of the trades, so I expect real money (well, for the Indians) to be spent before next season.

Keep in mind that the organization spent an uncommon amount of money in the draft this past year, too.

I think Valbuena genuinely sucks. Marson will never start in Cleveland but I'm not sure he has anything to prove in Columbus (scouts have seen enough of him to get a good feel). If he's Santana's caddy at 25, so what? Not like Paul Phillips is a fount of institutional knowledge.

I think Valbuena genuinely sucks. Marson will never start in Cleveland but I'm not sure he has anything to prove in Columbus (scouts have seen enough of him to get a good feel). If he's Santana's caddy at 25, so what? Not like Paul Phillips is a fount of institutional knowledge.

My optimism has been shot the past few years.

my expectations are fairly low. I like the bullpen. Too many every day guys and starters I just don't trust. To play well or more importantly, stay healthy.

Can't really believe things start up on Friday. I don't know what the weather is in Ohio, but in the Northeast, I'm still in winter mode.

My optimism has been shot the past few years.

my expectations are fairly low. I like the bullpen. Too many every day guys and starters I just don't trust. To play well or more importantly, stay healthy.

Can't really believe things start up on Friday. I don't know what the weather is in Ohio, but in the Northeast, I'm still in winter mode.

Pity?

It's still cold here, too. It would be great to not have to worry about freezing temperatures and snow one baseball season.
but I'm not sure he has anything to prove in Columbus (scouts have seen enough of him to get a good feel).
Icompletely agree, but I think it would be more of a build hisconfidence and get him swings deal. Not that that ever seems to work,but he had 24 hits the last two months of the season, and 4 this spring.

Tidbits from DiaTribe:
Speaking of those league-minimum salaried players, since this isthe time of year that everyone moans and wails about the payroll of theteam (and I wonder why, given the headlines coming from the PD),can we please remember how the tear-down and ramp-up of the Indians (bythis very Front Office) happened from 2002 to 2005 as the Indians paredback payroll while they loaded up on cost-controlled, similarly-agedplayers that would…wait for it…arrive and mature together with the ideathat they could peak as a playoff team?

Lest you forgot, just tolook at that tear-down and the beginning of the ramp-up, here is theTeam Record and Payroll from 2002 to 2004:
2002 – 74-88 / $78.9M
2003 – 68-94 / $48.5M
2004 – 80-82 / $34.3M

Veryquickly, compare those to what we've seen the last two years (in termsof records and payrolls) and what this year's payroll figures to settlein at:
2009 – 65-97 / $81.6M
2010 – 69-93 / $61.5M
2011 – ??-?? / $48.4M

Backin 2004, the Indians began to identify which of their league-minimumsalaried players were worthy of receiving long-term contracts and beganto lock those players up accordingly, buying out years of FA inexchange for financial security. As those players accumulated moreservice time and as their salary numbers escalated, the Indians havehad sequentially higher payrolls, but that doesn't mean that the teamjumped from a $34M payroll to a $70M payroll as the team recordimproved.

To wit, that 2005 team that finished with 93 wins hada $41.5M payroll (or lower than this year's projected payroll) and that2007 team that was one game away from the World Series? It was a $61.7Mpayroll or about $200K more than last year's 2010 team…seriously.

All told, what the Indians need this season is a couple of players toemerge as legitimate "core" players and some level of advancement needsto be seen because, as Swydan adroitly pointed out in the Fangraphspiece, the Indians need "to make the jump from paper champions toproducing on the field" which is something that group of young playersdid in the 2004 and 2005 seasons. While every fan remembers thetear-down of 2008 and, more acutely, 2009, the build-up has somehowslipped everyone's mind and the evolution from a team that "featured"Broussard, Lawton, Jason Davis, and others into a 93-win team in 2005came when the potential of certain players became legitimate productionfor those players.

Pity?

It's still cold here, too. It would be great to not have to worry about freezing temperatures and snow one baseball season.
but I'm not sure he has anything to prove in Columbus (scouts have seen enough of him to get a good feel).
Icompletely agree, but I think it would be more of a build hisconfidence and get him swings deal. Not that that ever seems to work,but he had 24 hits the last two months of the season, and 4 this spring.

Tidbits from DiaTribe:
Speaking of those league-minimum salaried players, since this isthe time of year that everyone moans and wails about the payroll of theteam (and I wonder why, given the headlines coming from the PD),can we please remember how the tear-down and ramp-up of the Indians (bythis very Front Office) happened from 2002 to 2005 as the Indians paredback payroll while they loaded up on cost-controlled, similarly-agedplayers that would…wait for it…arrive and mature together with the ideathat they could peak as a playoff team?

Lest you forgot, just tolook at that tear-down and the beginning of the ramp-up, here is theTeam Record and Payroll from 2002 to 2004:
2002 – 74-88 / $78.9M
2003 – 68-94 / $48.5M
2004 – 80-82 / $34.3M

Veryquickly, compare those to what we've seen the last two years (in termsof records and payrolls) and what this year's payroll figures to settlein at:
2009 – 65-97 / $81.6M
2010 – 69-93 / $61.5M
2011 – ??-?? / $48.4M

Backin 2004, the Indians began to identify which of their league-minimumsalaried players were worthy of receiving long-term contracts and beganto lock those players up accordingly, buying out years of FA inexchange for financial security. As those players accumulated moreservice time and as their salary numbers escalated, the Indians havehad sequentially higher payrolls, but that doesn't mean that the teamjumped from a $34M payroll to a $70M payroll as the team recordimproved.

To wit, that 2005 team that finished with 93 wins hada $41.5M payroll (or lower than this year's projected payroll) and that2007 team that was one game away from the World Series? It was a $61.7Mpayroll or about $200K more than last year's 2010 team…seriously.

All told, what the Indians need this season is a couple of players toemerge as legitimate "core" players and some level of advancement needsto be seen because, as Swydan adroitly pointed out in the Fangraphspiece, the Indians need "to make the jump from paper champions toproducing on the field" which is something that group of young playersdid in the 2004 and 2005 seasons. While every fan remembers thetear-down of 2008 and, more acutely, 2009, the build-up has somehowslipped everyone's mind and the evolution from a team that "featured"Broussard, Lawton, Jason Davis, and others into a 93-win team in 2005came when the potential of certain players became legitimate productionfor those players.

This has to be the season...good to see opening will have ppl in the stands. i will be seeing a game this year when i come home no doubt
pimp.gif

This has to be the season...good to see opening will have ppl in the stands. i will be seeing a game this year when i come home no doubt
pimp.gif

when the potential of certain players became legitimate productionfor those players.
I don't get the same good feeling with this young crop that I did with the previous one, unfortunately.

when the potential of certain players became legitimate productionfor those players.
I don't get the same good feeling with this young crop that I did with the previous one, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by DAFEATURE

pimp.gif
I hope we can make some noise man.  I'll for sure be at some games during the summer. 

Originally Posted by DAFEATURE

pimp.gif
I hope we can make some noise man.  I'll for sure be at some games during the summer. 

Back
Top Bottom