All-encompassing Cleveland Indians thread. 46 days until Opening Day.

We officially signed Durbin.

Most people don't seem to like it, but I do. I fully expect the bullpen to be a strong point, and there are a few legitimate prospects that could factor in to who is already established, but this move screams competing this year to me. Plus, Smith and Lewis aren't exactly eighth inning righties right now.

They pitch in the sixth and seventh when needed, Sipp and Perez match up against lefties in the eighth, Durbin with righties. The other Perez closes, and there's a long man in there somewhere, which could be any number of players.

It'll be interesting to see who gets cut to make room for him.

I like Chad Durbin. Brings experience and gives us a good rotation. Wasn't he with us before though? I could've swore I seen his name around the Jake when I worked there in 03'.

Edit: Guess he did. Came a long way I see...our pitching looking good this season
smokin.gif

I like Chad Durbin. Brings experience and gives us a good rotation. Wasn't he with us before though? I could've swore I seen his name around the Jake when I worked there in 03'.

Edit: Guess he did. Came a long way I see...our pitching looking good this season
smokin.gif

The first game of the season in the books. We blew a 6-1 lead in the last two innings. 
laugh.gif

Tomlin, closer Perez, Smith, Lewis, Doug Mathis and Laffey pitched seven, earned run-free innings (4 hits, 0 walks). Zach Putnam and Alex White got handled.

Chisenhall - 2-2, two doubles, two runs batted in.
smokin.gif

We have the second-easiest first month or so of the season in the American League, apparently.
13. Cleveland Indians
Games against teams which had records of .500 or better in 2010: 12 of their first 34
Home/away: A pretty even early split -- 15 of their first 34 will be at home.
Notable:The Indians have only six games against the Twins and Tigers beforeJune 6, and on the other hand, they have two series against theMariners before May 16. So, on paper, it would appear Cleveland has adecent shot to get off to a good start.

The first game of the season in the books. We blew a 6-1 lead in the last two innings. 
laugh.gif

Tomlin, closer Perez, Smith, Lewis, Doug Mathis and Laffey pitched seven, earned run-free innings (4 hits, 0 walks). Zach Putnam and Alex White got handled.

Chisenhall - 2-2, two doubles, two runs batted in.
smokin.gif

We have the second-easiest first month or so of the season in the American League, apparently.
13. Cleveland Indians
Games against teams which had records of .500 or better in 2010: 12 of their first 34
Home/away: A pretty even early split -- 15 of their first 34 will be at home.
Notable:The Indians have only six games against the Twins and Tigers beforeJune 6, and on the other hand, they have two series against theMariners before May 16. So, on paper, it would appear Cleveland has adecent shot to get off to a good start.

Kipnis homered in today's game, a 12-0 shutout of the Reds.

Carmona, Gomez, Sipp, Hagadone, Germano, Herrmann and Josh Judy pitched.

I'll just keep editing this one post with the relevant spring training performances. I mostly just care about how Chisenhall, Kipnis and most of the pitchers do.

Kipnis homered in today's game, a 12-0 shutout of the Reds.

Carmona, Gomez, Sipp, Hagadone, Germano, Herrmann and Josh Judy pitched.

I'll just keep editing this one post with the relevant spring training performances. I mostly just care about how Chisenhall, Kipnis and most of the pitchers do.

I'm really hoping Fausto can put together a good season. He is one of my favorite Indians of all time

I'm really hoping Fausto can put together a good season. He is one of my favorite Indians of all time

Chisenhall is going nuts. I'm sure he won't open the season in Cleveland, but it's slowly becoming a more and more discussed concept.

The fifth starter job seems to be down to Huff and Tomlin, who have both been untouched this spring (Gomez has not fared well). An interesting note I just read, relating to Huff:
While he was in the big leagues, former Tribe catcher Mike Redmondintroduced him (Huff) to Mets lefthander Johan Santana. Huff asked Santana toshow him his famous change-up. It's a pitch Huff has been throwing 50percent to 60 percent of the time this spring. Along with his fastball,the occasional slider and curveball, it has helped him get off to afast start.

That seems odd, but I like it.

Chisenhall is going nuts. I'm sure he won't open the season in Cleveland, but it's slowly becoming a more and more discussed concept.

The fifth starter job seems to be down to Huff and Tomlin, who have both been untouched this spring (Gomez has not fared well). An interesting note I just read, relating to Huff:
While he was in the big leagues, former Tribe catcher Mike Redmondintroduced him (Huff) to Mets lefthander Johan Santana. Huff asked Santana toshow him his famous change-up. It's a pitch Huff has been throwing 50percent to 60 percent of the time this spring. Along with his fastball,the occasional slider and curveball, it has helped him get off to afast start.

That seems odd, but I like it.

[h1][/h1]
The Indians are next in our Offseason In Review series.

Major League/International Signings

* Austin Kearns, OF: one year, $1.3MM.
    * Orlando Cabrera, 2B: one year, $1MM.
    * Chad Durbin, RP: one year, $800K.
    * Total spend: $3.1MM.

Notable Minor League Signings

* Adam Everett, Nick Johnson, Travis Buck, Doug Mathis, Anthony Reyes, Luke Carlin, Jack Hannahan, Paul Phillips

Trades and Claims

* Acquired P Joe Martinez from Pirates for a player to be named later or cash considerations
    * Acquired IF Matt Lawson and cash considerations from Mariners for P Aaron Laffey

Notable Losses

* Josh Rodriguez, Jose Flores, Aaron Laffey, Andy Marte

Summary

Chris Antonetti's first offseason as Indians GM marked the second year in a row the team spent about three million bucks on free agents.  As opposed to the Pirates and Orioles, the Indians were not willing to spend money on free agent placeholders.

The Indians flipped Kearns for Yankees prospect Zach McAllister last summer, and that might be the plan if any of the veteran signings are having decent years at the trade deadline and the team is struggling.  Durbin (pictured) is a solid reliever, and getting him for $800K is good value.  I liked the minor league deals for Johnson and Buck, as both have upside and opportunity if they can get healthy.

Can the Indians become the surprise contender of 2011?  The offense will ideally be elevated by full seasons from Grady Sizemore, Asdrubal Cabrera, and Carlos Santana.  Position player reinforcements could arrive in the form of top prospects Lonnie Chisenhall, Jason Kipnis, Nick Weglarz, and Cord Phelps. But even if we optimistically grant the Indians an above-average offense, to contend they'd need breakout performances from pitchers such as Justin Masterson and Carlos Carrasco, a strong debut from Alex White, and improvements from several of the relievers behind Chris Perez.  It's a lot to ask.

The Tribe's farm system ranks seventh in baseball, according to Baseball America, which praised the club for having best 2010 draft of any team.  They're stocked at both the lower and upper levels of the minors.  This is a club that will get better in a hurry, even if 2011 is not the year.

[h1][/h1]
The Indians are next in our Offseason In Review series.

Major League/International Signings

* Austin Kearns, OF: one year, $1.3MM.
    * Orlando Cabrera, 2B: one year, $1MM.
    * Chad Durbin, RP: one year, $800K.
    * Total spend: $3.1MM.

Notable Minor League Signings

* Adam Everett, Nick Johnson, Travis Buck, Doug Mathis, Anthony Reyes, Luke Carlin, Jack Hannahan, Paul Phillips

Trades and Claims

* Acquired P Joe Martinez from Pirates for a player to be named later or cash considerations
    * Acquired IF Matt Lawson and cash considerations from Mariners for P Aaron Laffey

Notable Losses

* Josh Rodriguez, Jose Flores, Aaron Laffey, Andy Marte

Summary

Chris Antonetti's first offseason as Indians GM marked the second year in a row the team spent about three million bucks on free agents.  As opposed to the Pirates and Orioles, the Indians were not willing to spend money on free agent placeholders.

The Indians flipped Kearns for Yankees prospect Zach McAllister last summer, and that might be the plan if any of the veteran signings are having decent years at the trade deadline and the team is struggling.  Durbin (pictured) is a solid reliever, and getting him for $800K is good value.  I liked the minor league deals for Johnson and Buck, as both have upside and opportunity if they can get healthy.

Can the Indians become the surprise contender of 2011?  The offense will ideally be elevated by full seasons from Grady Sizemore, Asdrubal Cabrera, and Carlos Santana.  Position player reinforcements could arrive in the form of top prospects Lonnie Chisenhall, Jason Kipnis, Nick Weglarz, and Cord Phelps. But even if we optimistically grant the Indians an above-average offense, to contend they'd need breakout performances from pitchers such as Justin Masterson and Carlos Carrasco, a strong debut from Alex White, and improvements from several of the relievers behind Chris Perez.  It's a lot to ask.

The Tribe's farm system ranks seventh in baseball, according to Baseball America, which praised the club for having best 2010 draft of any team.  They're stocked at both the lower and upper levels of the minors.  This is a club that will get better in a hurry, even if 2011 is not the year.

It looks like Tomlin will be the fifth starter. Huff and Gomez were optioned to Columbus today.

Jack Hannahan is set to be the Opening Day third baseman with Donald hurt. Hannahan, Travis Buck and Duncan all seem to be heading to Cleveland.

The front of the bullpen is still unknown. Lewis cleared waivers and will be in Columbus for now and Smith is hurt, so there are a number of guys that 40-man moves would need to be made for.

Oh, and Grady got his first game action yesterday. He should be close.

One week away.

It looks like Tomlin will be the fifth starter. Huff and Gomez were optioned to Columbus today.

Jack Hannahan is set to be the Opening Day third baseman with Donald hurt. Hannahan, Travis Buck and Duncan all seem to be heading to Cleveland.

The front of the bullpen is still unknown. Lewis cleared waivers and will be in Columbus for now and Smith is hurt, so there are a number of guys that 40-man moves would need to be made for.

Oh, and Grady got his first game action yesterday. He should be close.

One week away.

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

One week away.

pimp.gif

Thank God.

The Central division doesn't look too strong this year. I'm thinking if we can get 85-95 wins, we're in there for October.

One week away.

pimp.gif

Thank God.

The Central division doesn't look too strong this year. I'm thinking if we can get 85-95 wins, we're in there for October.

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

One week away.

pimp.gif

Thank God.

AT you said 42-40 for the Cavs too
laugh.gif
.  I know I thought playoffs were a possibility as well, but yeah.......................

Anyways I hope we can have a great season.  Our city really needs it.

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

One week away.

pimp.gif

Thank God.

AT you said 42-40 for the Cavs too
laugh.gif
.  I know I thought playoffs were a possibility as well, but yeah.......................

Anyways I hope we can have a great season.  Our city really needs it.

My best guess at the Opening Day roster:

Carlos Santana
Matt LaPorta
Orlando Cabrera
Jack Hannahan (Jason Donald)
Asdrubal Cabrera
Austin Kearns
Michael Brantley (Grady Sizemore)
Shin-Soo Choo
Travis Hafner

Travis Buck
Shelley Duncan
Adam Everett
Paul Phillips

Fausto Carmona
Justin Masterson
Carlos Carrasco
Mitch Talbot
Josh Tomlin

Chris Perez
Rafael Perez
Chad Durbin
Tony Sipp
Frank Herrmann
Justin Germano
Vinnie Pestano (Joe Smith)

Injuries hold back Donald, Sizemore and Smith for now. They could all very well be ready to go within a week or two.

The thought of having Luis Valbuena and Lou Marson over Everett and Phillips sounds nice, but they have both really struggled this spring, andI imagine they will be on their way to Columbus to build a littleconfidence. Of course, the possibility that they both just genuinelysuck is very real. Nix could be the choice over Everett, but he hasalso been awful offensively, and he is awful defensively, so I thinkthis could spell the end of him as an Indian, as he has no minor leagueoptions left. Everett is a good defender, at least. I don't really know anything about Phillips, but he seems like a typical backup catcher (terrible).

Like Everett, Hannahan is also of the no offense, all defense mold. With all of our groundball pitchers, I like the approach for now. Not that Hannahan will be starting for very long or Everett will play much at all, but still.

I like Buck. He has tools, but hasn't been able to stay healthy. I think he ends up being a nice surprise. When Sizemore is healthy again, we have quite the outfield depth. A versatile bunch, too.

There are a number of pitchers that we will surely see soon enough,even if it isn't on Friday. David Huff, Jeanmar Gomez, Zach McAllister,Jensen Lewis, Jess Todd, etc.

Obviously, I'm excited.

My best guess at the Opening Day roster:

Carlos Santana
Matt LaPorta
Orlando Cabrera
Jack Hannahan (Jason Donald)
Asdrubal Cabrera
Austin Kearns
Michael Brantley (Grady Sizemore)
Shin-Soo Choo
Travis Hafner

Travis Buck
Shelley Duncan
Adam Everett
Paul Phillips

Fausto Carmona
Justin Masterson
Carlos Carrasco
Mitch Talbot
Josh Tomlin

Chris Perez
Rafael Perez
Chad Durbin
Tony Sipp
Frank Herrmann
Justin Germano
Vinnie Pestano (Joe Smith)

Injuries hold back Donald, Sizemore and Smith for now. They could all very well be ready to go within a week or two.

The thought of having Luis Valbuena and Lou Marson over Everett and Phillips sounds nice, but they have both really struggled this spring, andI imagine they will be on their way to Columbus to build a littleconfidence. Of course, the possibility that they both just genuinelysuck is very real. Nix could be the choice over Everett, but he hasalso been awful offensively, and he is awful defensively, so I thinkthis could spell the end of him as an Indian, as he has no minor leagueoptions left. Everett is a good defender, at least. I don't really know anything about Phillips, but he seems like a typical backup catcher (terrible).

Like Everett, Hannahan is also of the no offense, all defense mold. With all of our groundball pitchers, I like the approach for now. Not that Hannahan will be starting for very long or Everett will play much at all, but still.

I like Buck. He has tools, but hasn't been able to stay healthy. I think he ends up being a nice surprise. When Sizemore is healthy again, we have quite the outfield depth. A versatile bunch, too.

There are a number of pitchers that we will surely see soon enough,even if it isn't on Friday. David Huff, Jeanmar Gomez, Zach McAllister,Jensen Lewis, Jess Todd, etc.

Obviously, I'm excited.

Back
Top Bottom