All-encompassing Cleveland Indians thread. 46 days until Opening Day.

I should have been more clear, IMO going back down to Earth just means that they're not going to be playing .639 ball anymore. I don't think they'll regress to how bad they were to start last year. I say the pitching comes back down because I think it'll eventually go back to league average ERA with more starts for these guys and as it gets warmer. But, I think the Choo and Santana hitting more makes up for it a bit.

IMO going back down to Earth just means that they're not going to be playing .639 ball anymore.
I understand. Nobody should expect that.

Prospecting:

Chisenhall: 32 games, .287 average, 25 runs scored, 3 home runs, 22 runs batted in, 14 walks, 24 strikeouts, .366 on-base, .437 slugging, 4 errors.
Kipnis: 31 games, .284 average, 22 runs scored, 3 home runs, 20 runs batted in, 18 walks, 27 strikeouts, 5 stolen bases, .382 on-base, .474 slugging, 6 errors.
Phelps: 31 games, .313 average, 24 runs scored, 5 home runs, 20 runs batted in, 26 walks, 33 strikeouts, .436 on-base, .527 slugging, 2 errors.

Pomeranz: 7 starts, 32.2 innings, 1.93 ERA, 22 hits, 48 strikeouts, 12 walks, .188 BAA, 1.04 WHIP.

I definitely expect Phelps to be up soon, and platooning with Orlando.

Donald is out 3-5 weeks with a sprained MCL. No luck for that kid.

Piece on Phelps from Indians Prospect Insider:
Whenyou peruse the Triple-A Columbus roster for the most impactful MajorLeague ready player in the infield, no it is not third baseman LonnieChisenhall or second baseman Jason Kipnis, but instead is actuallyinfielder Cord Phelps.  Chisenhall and Kipnis mayhave more upside and the better big league careers in the long run, butright now at least in the short term Phelps is the best optionavailable to the Indians who could impact the big league team in a verypositive way.

So far this season in 30 games Phelps is hitting .318 with 5 HR, 20 RBI and a .987 OPS.  Asa switch-hitter with an ability to take a walk (26 BB, 32 K, 107 AB)who also has some pop, he would be a much welcomed addition to the bigleague roster.  With incumbent second basemanOrlando Cabrera starting to show his age at the plate and in the fieldit is possible that at some point down the road the Indians look to cutback on Cabrera’s playing time and bring up Phelps to take up some ofthe second base at bats.

Thebeauty of Phelps is he can play several positions, so even if Cabrerais still playing four to five games a week at second base, the Indianscould find Phelps enough regular work at other positions where he couldplay four to five games a week himself if he proves worthy of the time.  Heis not an everyday option at third base or shortstop, but he has theversatility and ability to fill in at each position once or twice aweek.  He would be a clear step down defensivelyfrom Jack Hannahan at third base or Asdrubal Cabrera at shortstop, buthe would potentially be as good or better than both of them at theplate.

Phelpsis a good ace in the hole for the Indians, and when they do decide tobring him up they will have to add him to the 40-man roster though theobvious move would be to designate infielder Adam Everett forassignment when the time comes.  Those whoremember Gregg Jefferies who played many seasons for several teams fromthe late 80s to the end of 90s, this is the kind of player Phelps couldbe.  He is athletic, versatile, switch-hits, hassome speed, and has some pop in his bat where he may not be a regularat any one position, but can be a regular in the lineup at a differentposition every night.

IMO going back down to Earth just means that they're not going to be playing .639 ball anymore.
I understand. Nobody should expect that.

Prospecting:

Chisenhall: 32 games, .287 average, 25 runs scored, 3 home runs, 22 runs batted in, 14 walks, 24 strikeouts, .366 on-base, .437 slugging, 4 errors.
Kipnis: 31 games, .284 average, 22 runs scored, 3 home runs, 20 runs batted in, 18 walks, 27 strikeouts, 5 stolen bases, .382 on-base, .474 slugging, 6 errors.
Phelps: 31 games, .313 average, 24 runs scored, 5 home runs, 20 runs batted in, 26 walks, 33 strikeouts, .436 on-base, .527 slugging, 2 errors.

Pomeranz: 7 starts, 32.2 innings, 1.93 ERA, 22 hits, 48 strikeouts, 12 walks, .188 BAA, 1.04 WHIP.

Donald is out 3-5 weeks with a sprained MCL. No luck for that kid.

Piece on Phelps from Indians Prospect Insider:
Whenyou peruse the Triple-A Columbus roster for the most impactful MajorLeague ready player in the infield, no it is not third baseman LonnieChisenhall or second baseman Jason Kipnis, but instead is actuallyinfielder Cord Phelps.  Chisenhall and Kipnis mayhave more upside and the better big league careers in the long run, butright now at least in the short term Phelps is the best optionavailable to the Indians who could impact the big league team in a verypositive way.

So far this season in 30 games Phelps is hitting .318 with 5 HR, 20 RBI and a .987 OPS.  Asa switch-hitter with an ability to take a walk (26 BB, 32 K, 107 AB)who also has some pop, he would be a much welcomed addition to the bigleague roster.  With incumbent second basemanOrlando Cabrera starting to show his age at the plate and in the fieldit is possible that at some point down the road the Indians look to cutback on Cabrera’s playing time and bring up Phelps to take up some ofthe second base at bats.

Thebeauty of Phelps is he can play several positions, so even if Cabrerais still playing four to five games a week at second base, the Indianscould find Phelps enough regular work at other positions where he couldplay four to five games a week himself if he proves worthy of the time.  Heis not an everyday option at third base or shortstop, but he has theversatility and ability to fill in at each position once or twice aweek.  He would be a clear step down defensivelyfrom Jack Hannahan at third base or Asdrubal Cabrera at shortstop, buthe would potentially be as good or better than both of them at theplate.

Phelpsis a good ace in the hole for the Indians, and when they do decide tobring him up they will have to add him to the 40-man roster though theobvious move would be to designate infielder Adam Everett forassignment when the time comes.  Those whoremember Gregg Jefferies who played many seasons for several teams fromthe late 80s to the end of 90s, this is the kind of player Phelps couldbe.  He is athletic, versatile, switch-hits, hassome speed, and has some pop in his bat where he may not be a regularat any one position, but can be a regular in the lineup at a differentposition every night.

I don't mind a kid coming up, has to happen....but been meaning to say this & what I don't get is every blog/forum I look at people are killing Orlando already this year. I don't really get it. I'm not huge into saber-metrics, so no comment there. But his impact on the clubhouse/the way he plays has had a very positive impact from what I can tell.

I don't mind a kid coming up, has to happen....but been meaning to say this & what I don't get is every blog/forum I look at people are killing Orlando already this year. I don't really get it. I'm not huge into saber-metrics, so no comment there. But his impact on the clubhouse/the way he plays has had a very positive impact from what I can tell.

Choo
pimp.gif

It is hard to criticize him.

He has came up with a few big hits, he undoubtedly brings more than numbers and the team has been winning, but there are some pretty big holes in his game. At this point, he probably should not be an absolute everyday player (I mean, he is 36).

It is hard to criticize him.

He has came up with a few big hits, he undoubtedly brings more than numbers and the team has been winning, but there are some pretty big holes in his game. At this point, he probably should not be an absolute everyday player (I mean, he is 36).

And fireworks (and on a Friday night). We have to put on the best fireworks show in baseball, though.
laugh.gif

It is a mirage, but I am over worrying about it. Too bad people need incentive to come out.

And fireworks (and on a Friday night). We have to put on the best fireworks show in baseball, though.
laugh.gif

It is a mirage, but I am over worrying about it. Too bad people need incentive to come out.

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

laugh.gif

It's College ID night and dollar dog too.   
Wish  I was back home man!  All my buddies are there.  F the quarter system! 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

laugh.gif

It's College ID night and dollar dog too.   
Wish  I was back home man!  All my buddies are there.  F the quarter system! 
laugh.gif

I just wish Orlando would see more than two pitches in an at-bat.

Kearns' time is about up. I know nothing about Chad Huffman, but he may be the internal replacement for now (as opposed to Buck, because we need a right-handed outfielder).

Great career minor league numbers. Only 18 at-bats on this level. 26 years old. Second-round pick in 2006 (Padres).

Edit: Asdrubal, man...

I just wish Orlando would see more than two pitches in an at-bat.

Kearns' time is about up. I know nothing about Chad Huffman, but he may be the internal replacement for now (as opposed to Buck, because we need a right-handed outfielder).

Great career minor league numbers. Only 18 at-bats on this level. 26 years old. Second-round pick in 2006 (Padres).

Edit: Asdrubal, man...

Back
Top Bottom