All Things Sports Media Thread!!

I guess katie nolan was finally able to sign that espn contract. She’s on Highly Questionable right now.

Was just about to ask if she had been on all week. This is the first episode I've gotten to see this week.

IDK if you can call ESPN "the other side", they were on Barstool's side they just felt like they were getting too much heat.

ESPN has a long history of this stuff.

Yeah, those books exposing espn are wild. mike tirico sounds like a real creep stalking female co-workers.

ESPN looking like some clowns, per usual. They knew what Barstool was all about before giving them a show.

From ESPN the Uncensored History:

The first Mike Tirico story involves him hitting on a woman and stalking her after a house party in fall of 1992. The woman was a production assistant and "considered an up-and-coming talent," and the married-to-be Tirico went up to her at the party and said "you're the most beautiful woman in here." She walked away, but he kept following her around the party until she finally snapped, "Why don't you **** off? Get away from me." As she and friends hopped in their car and pulled out of the party, Tirico stepped in front of the car and made the woman stop. "You're the most beautiful person I've ever seen and I think I'm in love with you," Tirico said. She tried to roll up her window and take off, but Tirico stuck his hand in and tried to wedge it between her thighs. She got away, and the next morning, when they saw each other in the ESPN parking lot, he walked up to her, and she expected him to apologize. Instead, he said, "all I did all day was think about you."

In another story, one female producer — who had been to dinner with Tirico and his fiancee — was startled to receive an email from him saying that he wanted to sleep with her. Later, when the staff went to a bar after a late night covering the NCAA tournament, Tirico approached her and said, "I wish I was single. If I were, I'd throw you on the table right here and **** your brains out." After she tried to excuse him as drunk, he persisted: "I know you want to screw me. So let's leave." Later, he followed her on the highway and tried to get her to pull over, unsuccessfully.

Tirico was ultimately suspended by ESPN for three months and has called the incidents "misunderstandings."

PMT made the point on their show yesterday, if ESPN was unsure or thought they might cave to the pressure of critics surrounding Barstool, they shouldn't have even aired the show in the first place. I'm not a huge fan of Barstool, I like PMT and Mickstape, but I don't really follow or support the rest of the brand. I think if they just kept it as Pardon My Take the TV show, the show might still be on the air.. but I understand why Barstool wanted their brand associated with it.

Barstools 'boys being boys' and toilet humor came back to mess their money up. But yeah, ESPN knew what barstool was about and shouldn't have even aired it if they weren't gonna have a backbone.

More layoffs while they give that lame greenberg his own show and are going to build a new studio for him in ny. Morons.

Richard Deitsch:

More Significant Layoffs Are Coming to ESPN

ESPN will lay off more than 100 staffers after the Thanksgiving holidays, multiple sources tell Sports Illustrated. The layoffs, which were described by a person briefed on the plans, will hit positions across ESPN including front-facing talent on the television side, producers, executives, and digital and technology staffers. The SportsCenter franchise is expected to be hit hard—including on-air people—given the frequency of the show has lessened considerably on main network ESPN.

Though hiring has continued and the network remains one of the great destinations for jobs in sports media, ESPN has experienced significant layoffs over the last two years. In Oct. 2015 the company laid off roughly 300 employees, about 4-5% of its workforce—a particularly brutal act of gutting given the long tenures of many of those who were cut.

Last April, ESPN eliminated around 100 journalists and on-air personalities.

They get rid of Dianna Russini, Jen Lada, or Toni Collins then i’m fighting somebody.

HBO and The Ringer's Bill Simmons is joined by The Ringer's Bryan Curtis and David Shoemaker to discuss the glaring problems with 'Thursday Night Football' (7:00), the rise of breaking investigative Hollywood stories (28:00), the JFK conspiracy world (34:00), the much-maligned ESPN layoffs (48:00), and announcer shelf lives (1:04:00).

NFL Problems, JFK Conspiracies, ESPN, and Announcer Rules (Ep. 285) by The Bill Simmons Podcast | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Back
Top Bottom