All Time College Busts

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

How was Drew Nicholas a bust??? He wasn't that hyped at all...A lot of people don't understand the what this post is saying.
laugh.gif

I understand exactly what this thread is saying. I went to a rival high school and we had to hear about this dude EVERY day. EVERY day. Maybe the hype wasregion-specific.

And I'll admit, there's a little bit of hate mixed in there too
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

Originally Posted by Im Not You

We talk all the time about College Stars who were sub par or awful Pro's...but what about those HS Phenoms who didn't make the jump successfully to college?

First one that comes to mind for me is...Keith Bogans.

Sure he's managed to keep a job in the NBA and he was decent @ Kentucky. Dude was considered the top...or at worst...the 2nd best prospect coming out of HS his senior year and had a ton of hype the years before. Of all the players that came out of DeMatha (MD) he was the 1st to play varsity from his frosh year on...and he started. The guy that was his sidekick, Joe Forte, actually turned more heads in college. Though obviously the better player eventually stayed in the league longer.
bogans was NEVER considered anything more than what he is today ... maybe to people that didnt watch him but even in high school forte was the purer player and that dematha team went as their bigs went ... i believe it was john day (now in the nfl at te for the seahawks) who was playing down low with jordan collins (i think nc state) that made that team tick and i watched in person as an undersized gonzaga team hit a buzzer beater to win the WCAC championship against that mob ... collins and john day both fouled out ...

now dont get me wrong bogans was NASTY in high school and you just knew he was going to be in the pros but he wasnt lebron james, kevin durant etc... etc... he is what hes become, a solid player that can play at a high level ... he started for kentucky and is a journeyman who stuck in the nba ...

I went to DeMatha...Keith Bogans was talked about as the best prospect since Dantley to come out of there.

We talk all the time about College Stars who were sub par or awful Pro's...but what about those HS Phenoms who didn't make the jump successfully to college?

Sure he's managed to keep a job in the NBA and he was decent @ Kentucky. Dude was considered the top...or at worst...the 2nd best prospect coming out of HS his senior year and had a ton of hype the years before. Of all the players that came out of DeMatha (MD) he was the 1st to play varsity from his frosh year on...and he started. The guy that was his sidekick, Joe Forte, actually turned more heads in college. Though obviously the better player eventually stayed in the league longer.
bogans was NEVER considered anything more than what he is today ... maybe to people that didnt watch him but even in high school forte was the purer player and that dematha team went as their bigs went ... i believe it was john day (now in the nfl at te for the seahawks) who was playing down low with jordan collins (i think nc state) that made that team tick and i watched in person as an undersized gonzaga team hit a buzzer beater to win the WCAC championship against that mob ... collins and john day both fouled out ...

now dont get me wrong bogans was NASTY in high school and you just knew he was going to be in the pros but he wasnt lebron james, kevin durant etc... etc... he is what hes become, a solid player that can play at a high level ... he started for kentucky and is a journeyman who stuck in the nba ...

I went to DeMatha...Keith Bogans was talked about as the best prospect since Dantley to come out of there.

And thats the ball game folks
laugh.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JsindaA

Who was the kid from NC that went to Okie State?????

Jameson Curry????

Once again not a college bust. Yeah, dude probably should've been at UNC had he not sold weed to an undercover cop in his high school, but dude had a solidcollege career (13.5 ppg and 40 percent from 3pt land). He probably should've stayed in college for his senior year, but hindsight is 20-20.

How the hell was JamesOn Curry a bust?

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

Hold up. I just started looking through this thread.

Have you even been watching Clemson this year??? Like you said, he's a Soph...but he IS good, damn good if you actually watch what he's been doing and the impact he's having on games.

Exactly. Daquan is having a nice year.

Originally Posted by dreClark

How the hell was JamesOn Curry a bust?

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

Hold up. I just started looking through this thread.

Have you even been watching Clemson this year??? Like you said, he's a Soph...but he IS good, damn good if you actually watch what he's been doing and the impact he's having on games.
Exactly. Daquan is having a nice year.

Yea, that one threw me off a little bit...Dude was a fringe top 50 prospect in his class. %@%#, Curry even had a little brief moment in the league. Don'tunderstand that Drew Nicholas one either.

Im Not You wrote:

Im Not You wrote:

Congratulations. Thats called local hype.... insignificant in this discussion.

Originally Posted by Nako XL

How was Drew Nicholas a bust??? He wasn't that hyped at all...A lot of people don't understand the what this post is saying.
laugh.gif

I understand exactly what this thread is saying. I went to a rival high school and we had to hear about this dude EVERY day. EVERY day. Maybe the hype was region-specific.

tongue.gif

Dude went to Lutheran, my squad played them my Sophmore and Senior year, I remember seeing pictures of him all over the gym...Tobias Harris went there for awhile too.

Originally Posted by SuperOfficial

Olu Famutimi, went to Arkansas on some shady recruiting, left waay to early for the League, no clue where he is now

He messed up his knee in SR year at Flint Northwestern, causing many to pull offers on him. One of Heath's first recruits(the best one IMO) and helped getRonnie Brewer to hop onboard. He never developed his game at Arkansas, listening to talking heads and choosing to enter the draft way too early. Was a damngamer, but only showed glimpses
sick.gif
smh.gif

/\ Right...being #2 and on some lists #1 in your entire class is "local hype". OK.
So you going to DeMatha is meaningless. Bogans was a college AA..... thats not a bust.

As mentioned earlier...top prospects don't stay in school for 4 years.

Yes...he had a solid career at UK. Great. It don't match-up to his billing as a prep star.

As for me going to DeMatha...that was a response to LilZStar and his comments on Bogans/Forte and his expectations. Never said he had anything to with theoverall topic at hand. Please read next time.

Yes...he had a solid career at UK. Great. It don't match-up to his billing as a prep star.

As for me going to DeMatha...that was a response to LilZStar and his comments on Bogans/Forte and his expectations. Never said he had anything to with the overall topic at hand. Please read next time.
Well dont cross out his text if youre refering to it.

Top prospects dont stay 4 years?
laugh.gif
Thats some B.S. Again, this hasnothing to do with pro careers.

You just said he had a solid career at UK.... so how is he a bust. Just because you heard a lot of good things about him doesnt mean he was expected to lightthe world on fire. Anyone who was a college AA can not be counted as a bust... plain and simple.

You were wrong about Duhon, and youre wrong about Bogans.

Originally Posted by Durden7

laugh.gif
Thats some B.S. Again, this has nothing to do with pro careers.

You just said he had a solid career at UK.... so how is he a bust. Just because you heard a lot of good things about him doesnt mean he was expected to light the world on fire. Anyone who was a college AA can not be counted as a bust... plain and simple.
This is 1000% Incorrect
laugh.gif

I didn't follow HS basketball at the time so I don't know the hype that surrounded Bogans, but him being an AA negates him being a college bust IMO
ohwell.gif

He had a good career at UK.

Originally Posted by JsindaA

Who was the kid from NC that went to Okie State?????

Jameson Curry????
THANK YOU! He wasn't a bust....but didn't exactly live up to his hype. I really only asked because I could not remember his name
tired.gif

Originally Posted by Durden7

As for me going to DeMatha...that was a response to LilZStar and his comments on Bogans/Forte and his expectations. Never said he had anything to with the overall topic at hand. Please read next time.
Well dont cross out his text if youre refering to it.

laugh.gif
Thats some B.S. Again, this has nothing to do with pro careers.

You just said he had a solid career at UK.... so how is he a bust. Just because you heard a lot of good things about him doesnt mean he was expected to light the world on fire. Anyone who was a college AA can not be counted as a bust... plain and simple.

You were wrong about Duhon, and youre wrong about Bogans.

Maybe under YOUR definition of bust. But a bust is someone who doesn't live up to their billing. If Lebron James is averaging 18 points, 5 assists, and 4rebounds through his first 6 years. That's a solid stat line. Probably a few all star games here and there. But it would make him a bust because whathe's doing NOW matches the level of expectation from him. Hall of Fame output. Not "solid".

When you're the #1 or #2 prospect in your class (in HS Basketball specifically)...and you've stayed in school for 4 years...something didn't go asplanned. I challenge to show me a single example in the past 10 years that suggests anything different.

Originally Posted by Nako XL

laugh.gif

I understand exactly what this thread is saying. I went to a rival high school and we had to hear about this dude EVERY day. EVERY day. Maybe the hype was region-specific.

tongue.gif

Dude went to Lutheran, my squad played them my Sophmore and Senior year, I remember seeing pictures of him all over the gym...Tobias Harris went there for a while too.
what school'd you play at
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

I didn't follow HS basketball at the time so I don't know the hype that surrounded Bogans, but him being an AA negates him being a college bust IMO
ohwell.gif

He had a good career at UK.
If John Wall goes to UK and plays 4 years and is an all american in year 4...are you going to tell me he wasn't a college bust?

Keith Bogans was a college all american his SENIOR year...meaning that's when he reached his highest level...as a SENIOR. Again...when you're a #1 or#2 prospect in HS Basketball...you're expected to be damn good from day one.

Originally Posted by blazinjkid

The really crazy !$!* is that DeMatha squad w/Bogans and Forte lost to Pallotti...

+%+% was ridiculous...DM started the game 18-1.

This a dumb %@# thread, simply because OP doesn't know what a COLLEGE BUST IS! A college bust means you didn't do #+*% in college.

Scenario

This is a COLLEGE bust
============

In high school average 25ppg 8 rpg and was a Mcdonalds AA

In college was ineligible first year, averaged 6 pts second year, didn't return third year

This ISN't a COLLGE BUST
=================
#1 WR coming out of HS; Army AA; Numerous accolades; 60+ catches all 4 years of high school

In college...20 catches, 35 catches, 50 catches, 55 catches (freshman-senior year)

That's a solid college career...that's not a bust

Back
Top Bottom