Allen Iverson is retiring...Vol: Lets make it a tribute thread, 1996-2009

Honestly, there are few players in the history of this league that can fill it up the way that he did. I will debate this with anybody, there are few playersbetter than this guy period. Very sad to see him go like this, but imo the league has had it in for him for awhile. They finally got him smh

Many people are saying why can't he just accept a bench role? Well, if I can still fill it up to the tune of 27 a game, and I'm watching mike conley,and rodney stuckey play in front of me, what would that make you do? The league just don't want a.i. no more, and retiring was the best thing to do beforethese #@$@%!! managers mess up his legacy even more.

The best thing about ai to me was that he didn't change for anybody. He stayed true to who he was, no matter what the media said about him. Your clothestoo baggy, so what? Too many tatoos....So what? you need to come off the bench...*%*$ that, ima retire then. From my point of view, if you can live and die byyour word, your a hell of a man and that's who ai was imo. Just sad to see him leave out this way. They literally forced him out of the League smh.

This is just the beginning. While the new stars of the nba, from Lebron to Wade to paul to young hot shots like brandon jennings take the league by storm, theicons of the late 90's and on to the new millenium are fading away. Ai is gone, Shaq should be, Jason kidd is knocking on the door, if tmac can'trecover he will be there, kevin garnett can barely walk now, Ray allen can't get to 20 points anymore, rasheed wallace just went scoreless in a game, theera is coming to a close. It seems like the only person fighting fathertime is Kobe bryant, and that's due to the fact that he started out not playingmuch, and as his career went on, we know what happened. But also, Bryant's work ethic is superior to anybody mentioned, so that plays a major part in thisas well.

But his time will come. When kobe gets to be ai's age, we'll see where kobe's at. Both's best season came during the same year, 05-06. Ironicimo that Jordan played his last game against ai, and AI played his last game against Kobe. Just sad to see man.

Just turned on ESPN and found out the news, its a sad day indeed. Although Ive been in denial I must admit that I knew this day was coming soon. I can honestlysay this dude is/will be my favorite player of all time, especially since I was a small guard in high school he showed that you can go far with a lot of heartregardless of stature. Hate him or love him he really did change the game even though the media gave him a bad rap. Not saying he didnt make some questionabledecisions but were all human and we all make bad calls sometimes.

I think it sucks when great players (ie Barkley Ewing Malone etc) contribute so much to the game and leave without getting a ring and its a shame AI is gonnabe on this list now. On the other hand its good when athletes go out while they still have gas in the tank instead of being washups but the way he is going outnow is just not a good look. He can still get his shots/pts with a contender if he just accepted a reserve spot, but Im sure now getting a ring isnt a priorityto him. Isnt that the reason you play the game though?

A lot of people are saying hes coming back but if teams dont want him now how is it gonna change next season, I doubt his attitude towards coming off the benchwill change lol. Either way what hes done for the game will always be appreciated. Good luck in the future homie.

my favorite all time player. AI is the man i dont give a @+!$ what anybody says.

He'll be back.

duke played with sooo much heart back in philly, i miss seeing him like that.
tired.gif

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Ooooh, just realized something.

Iverson crossed Jordan. You all know what I'm talking about. Top of the arc, crossed him just outside the arc, hit the sot just inside the arc.

Well, who's the premier, veteran guard of the league right now?

nerd.gif

Iverson got Jordan.

Who's gonna 'Iverson' Kobe? And when is it going to happen? This year? Next year? Couple years from now?

Brandon Jennings time.

^ And some other questions I'm going to add to that: How's it gonna be? A dunk? A crossover? A steal (word to Nick Anderson)?

SPortscenter is at it again

Question of the Night: How will you rememebr AI?
HOF Career
Practice Rant

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Ooooh, just realized something.

Iverson crossed Jordan. You all know what I'm talking about. Top of the arc, crossed him just outside the arc, hit the shot just inside the arc.

Well, who's the premier, veteran guard of the league right now?

nerd.gif

Iverson got Jordan.

Who's gonna 'Iverson' Kobe? And when is it going to happen? This year? Next year? Couple years from now? How's it gonna be? A dunk? A crossover? A steal (word to Nick Anderson)?

WORD.

http://niketalk.com/topic/93963

Iverson could still be in line to display that competitive spirit, as according to a report from CSN Mid-Atlantic, Iverson spoke with his college coach at Georgetown John Thompson, Sr. on Wednesday. The two are scheduled to meet sometime after Thanksgiving to discuss Iverson's future. Thompson is on record as being vehemently opposed to Iverson ending his career.
he'll be back. Big John's gona knock some sense into him.

when i heard this..i felt like crying..real talk...
growing up he was the only dude i looked up to..i would take white t's and permanent marker "IVERSON #3" all over em and wear it to school everyday. ..finally my pops bought me the home jersey #3..
damn..i cant believe he is goin out like this..shame on the NBA and david stern and all those fuggazzi nijnas that run this system..a.i..i hope u come back

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Iverson could still be in line to display that competitive spirit, as according to a report from CSN Mid-Atlantic, Iverson spoke with his college coach at Georgetown John Thompson, Sr. on Wednesday. The two are scheduled to meet sometime after Thanksgiving to discuss Iverson's future. Thompson is on record as being vehemently opposed to Iverson ending his career.
he'll be back. Big John's gonna knock some sense into him.

I hope so he's the only person that I can say genuinely cares about Allen's basketball career from the beginning to end
pimp.gif

So he's basically waiting until February to get a phone call from a team that's either desperate or ready to make a deep run in the playoffs.

iverson is the character you see in movies were some cocky guy thinks everything is about him and is selfish..
i dont appreciate this dude at all..

no need for him to be in the league.. dude use to be good but not top 10 all time.

roll.gif
At Stephen A. talking about a contender calling AI. They're acontender and I would think they want to stay like that.

pimp.gif
@ when they beat the Lakers in Game 1...

...all of North Philly poured on Broad St. like they had just got the chip - Bubba Chuck was KING that nite.

It just really sucks that dude is so shortsighted and can't see the big picture. His name is certified and had he stuck with the Grizz he would eventuallyhave been inserted into the starting lineup. Had he just finished his last major contract as a "good" employee he would have had multiple optionsthis past off-season and another nice multi-million $ contract.

Dude had become mainstream, tats, braids, arm sleeve etc. AI BEEN on all that. Homies still stuck in 98 feeling like he's an outcast when he's reallylike the NBA patriarch. It's sad
tired.gif

pimp.gif
The Answer

Props to a great career, definitely top 50 all time in my book.

Iverson's always been a guy who's been true to his word, so when he said that he'd rather retire than come off the bench I believed him. I reallyfeel that he's entitled that right, and honestly I hope that he does stay retired. I don't want to see him chasing rings, and I don't want to seehim sitting behind anymore lesser talented players like he did in Detroit and Memphis.

Once that trade to Detroit went down it just went all downhill for Allen. It was a bad situation from jump...they already had a solid 2 guard in Rip, and ayoung pg in Stuckey who they felt was the future. It wasn't like they needed Iverson, that trade was more about blowing up part of that old Piston nucleusand building for the future. We all know what happened next, the team struggled (I don't know any team who can replace an all-star caliber pg with a rookieand succeed) and Iverson was the scapegoat.

Say what you want to say about him, but for a while the guy had an impact that was bigger than the game so for that reason alone he will always be respected inmy book.

iverson_600_010211.jpg

frown.gif

Originally Posted by IluvJordanXI

he should have tried harder when he was in the nuggets, that team had potential...
i felt the same way. that nuggets team had championship potential IMO

Back
Top Bottom