Allen Iverson is retiring...Vol: Lets make it a tribute thread, 1996-2009

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

Originally Posted by Al3xis

he'll be back. Big John's gona knock some sense into him.
a little story ...

im at the capital classic (i think thats what it is/was called where the best high school bball players play an all star game from this area) at the old wizards joint before verizon ... this is when bogans was a senior ...

im sitting in the stands and i hear this deep voice talking, so i turn around ... John Thompson ... whos he sitting next to? Allen Iverson ... im in awe that my favorite player of all time college/pro is behind me ... so i slowly turn back around cuz i dont want to act pressed ESPECIALLY cuz ai was that dude in the streets
laugh.gif
... i hear thompson say "hey, its ok kid, its ok" ... i must have had some type of face on when i turned around prior cuz he was talking to me ...

so i slowly turn back around and he invites me up to sit next to him ... now the whole time in my mind im trying hard as *+** not to talk to iverson cuz i dont want to come off as being THAT fan ... so we are talking about the game of basketball and what not and JT tells me (i was a small dude) that anythings possible in the game of basketball if you want it bad enough, and points to ai as proof ... i look at ai and said "naw coach, you dont learn that or work to get to that, thats special" ... ai turns and daps me up and says "i appreciate it homie" ... John Thompson says "well you have that right" and we all laughed and continued watching the game ...

i finally got over the shock/awe of sitting next to my idol and just cut it up with him and JT for the entire game ... ai wasnt this impersonal dude or some cold shoulder type star ... maybe it was because JT was sitting next to him but dude was just normal ... at one point someone dunked something serious and we both got up and cheered and he turned to me and dapped me up just like any of my boys would have done ...

so hopefully you are right and JT gets him back on the court somehow ...

ai is my favorite player of all time ... i wore #3 in high school ... begged my mom for every pair of questions/answers that ever came out when i was younger ... i have all his jerseys ... ai was my NBA ...
frown.gif

lovely story dude...I do hope at some point I'll get to meet him. Definitely one of my bball idols of all time...No one on the island of St. Luciacan't say that I didn't put up for this dude!...Biggest supporter out there!!! I do hope JT can get him out of the decision...but seriously how couldpeople laugh and talk samck about AI for whatever reason!? I just don't get it...This guy has done more than enough to prove he's worthy of praise...hemessed up, we all mesed up, but for sure it was all passion, all love...sighh

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

Originally Posted by grittyman20

Why does Iverson have to accept a role coming off the bench?
im sayin ... if you are better than the people starting, why should you accept sitting? people mad that ai didnt want to sit behind them saucey !*% dudes on the grizzlies?
roll.gif

we will see how much talent develops from the grizzlies and knicks and how well they do this year ... ... ...
indifferent.gif

co-sign

This is what Eric Snow is saying.

1. Allen doesn't WANT to come off the bench for a championship contending team. He feels going to a team that is already close to winning a championship ischeating. Much like GP and Big Malone did (attempted to do) with LA. He said that he and AI had convos while in Philly about this. AI said he doesn'tunderstand how dudes just sold their soul to these teams because they really DIDN'T win a championship they just went to a team that had a good chance.

2. If Allen is going to come off of the bench then show him WHY he needs to come off the bench. If he is better than the person in front of him then he feeldisrespected if he is asked to come off the bench. Especially if the team is a losing team (MEM)

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

1. Allen doesn't WANT to come off the bench for a championship contending team. He feels going to a team that is already close to winning a championship is cheating. Much like GP and Big Malone did (attempted to do) with LA. He said that he and AI had convos while in Philly about this. AI said he doesn't understand how dudes just sold their soul to these teams because they really DIDN'T win a championship they just went to a team that had a good chance.

2. If Allen is going to come off of the bench then show him WHY he needs to come off the bench. If he is better than the person in front of him then he feel disrespected if he is asked to come off the bench. Especially if the team is a losing team (MEM)
and that for me is admirable, he rather sacrifice the prize but know that he's made a proper contribution than a team who is already at thedoor....no piggy backing..doing it from scratch...the hard way!...no fool's gold, no carry me to the finish line bizz...if anything were to probably makeme side with his mentality and his antics, its probably those explanations right there!!!....going against popular belief and standing up for a purpose!"Only The Strong Survive!"...yes he bit the dust in this case, but only because he was too strong a character...the stronger characters always getassassinated, one way or the other...

yup....and those teams LilStarZ07, apart from Memphis with Mayo...look at the 1's and 2's and tell me is there ANY player that can givea better contribution than AI? I'll laugh with you
roll.gif
...like Mashburnsaid...half those teams apart from a selected 5 or 6 they have no future, apart from recurring lottery placements...medium term gains and building on that ,and having the rookies observe and develop isn't embraced anymore?...Big respect to Phil, George Karl, Larry Brown, Greg Popovich, in sticking with aproven tradition on vets first...and teaching the younsters, and easing them into starting spots....again, its didn't hurt Tony Parker and it aint hurtingTy Lawson...

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

1. Allen doesn't WANT to come off the bench for a championship contending team. He feels going to a team that is already close to winning a championship is cheating. Much like GP and Big Malone did (attempted to do) with LA. He said that he and AI had convos while in Philly about this. AI said he doesn't understand how dudes just sold their soul to these teams because they really DIDN'T win a championship they just went to a team that had a good chance.

2. If Allen is going to come off of the bench then show him WHY he needs to come off the bench. If he is better than the person in front of him then he feel disrespected if he is asked to come off the bench. Especially if the team is a losing team (MEM)
Respect.

And I also agree with (I think it was grittyman or Marley who said it) in that why should Iverson ACCEPT coming off the bench if he knows he's MUCH betterthan the guy he's starting for?

I havent been able to write up something as eloquent as this since I heard the news last night but merely rant and air my displeasure mainly with the Detroit and Michael Curry situation which I also believed was caused Allen's career to be derailed. You hit every nail on the head here in this post and most definitely dude was unfairly criticised.....its someting to see people in this thread say "good riddance" and things of that nature, call Iverson what you want and magnify the last 2 years as you wish, but the now cliche of Iverson being arguably the best player "pound for pound" will always resonate with me and for many and for the Hall of Fame!...and that in itself, does speak volumes about this guy's game. You have to respect this guy's ability to get to the hole and threat he was any time he had the ball....a volume shooter he was, yes...but thats due to his restrictions in height and size..HE DID WHAT HE HAD TO DO TO GET IT DONE!

I lost my respect partly for the detroit franchise after he left, but I really do blame it on Curry who had no clue how to play his X's and O's....had no plan on how to utilise a team with 5 all-star caliber players to get them to the destination they needed to go...nothing made me miss Flip Saunders more than seeing this guy roam the lines and indirectly belittle AI the way he did.....he was damn clueless! Thanks Joe Dumars for realising that and firing his scont!

Definitely my favourite player (well I have 3 all time, MJ, Penny and AI), I modeled my game so much after him during the late 90's onwards...benefitted me alot as well, as my relentless play earned the "oooh's and ahhh's" and the call "Iverson" anytime I drove to the hoop and did acrobatic layups....AI definitely is STILL a strarter in this league and like Jamaal Mashburn said....maybe apart from 5-6 teams who probably dont need him on their roster,...no other team has no real reason not to hire AI and allow him to properly compete for a starting spot...all they cry about is future and a good bit of them have no future!...Pure nonsense if you ask me! I will say again though like in my previous posts I do believe he acted very childish with the situation in Memphis and should've been patient, cuz I don't see how maybe by now he wouldnt be starting...he should've used the bench minutes to get the rust off his game and remind people of who he is, he did say he needed tis to be like a Rookie season again and prove the doubters wrong...he shouldn't have left...But I do believe his actions to not stand for that crap was justified...Long live AI!...get back soon....cuz a bunch of us know u will...this cant be the end!

Well put, bro...

*and Marley, that's a great story.....

I hate how it is going for Bubba. I was telling people when he was dominating in the early 2000's that when he hit 33 or 34 it was going to be real bad,because of the type of game he played. He can still start but where can he play on a contender his type of game and be successful lets look

cavs - he could be a great spark off the bench there, in crunch time lebron dominates the ball, possible 3rd option behind shaq. people pay to see lebron notto see him defer to iverson in crunch time - not good. also not going to blow up their roster to build a 76ers final squad.

lakers - his game would NEVER work with the triangle, and kobe has that on lock. do you think that kobe would ever defer to anybody?

celtics - if he can accept the role of coming of the bench maybe, but what do you do with eddie house, who is your spark. there is NO WAY he is cracking thatstarting lineup, who would he sit down. with the money they just paid rondo not possible.

spurs - that runs thru timmy and then tony and manu, so it would definitely have to be off the bench. Pop seems like a guy who does not want to deal with thattype of ball player and neither does the organization, so a no go here.

nuggets again, - could not work team is flowing now that they have billups it would never work with them winning with basically the same team, minus camby

so basically where can he go and start. he almost has to accept coming off the bench if he wants to play for a contender, or go to a team with no direction(nets) if he wants to play. nobody in their right mind would blow up their team for somebody who is 34 and under six foot, to build a replica of the 76ersfinal squad (just a bunch of hustle men) in today's game i do not know who would want to accept that role. hell i would not want like somebody likeiverson on my team, somebody who just dribbles and who would call me off my shot to make up a shot. i would rather go to the track and run than play with him.
we may never see his likes again, maybe jennings, but we will see. i can never see a team building around someone under six foot never mind the attitude andnot wanting to practice and have things his way.

Iverson Believed To Be Reconsidering Comeback

Nov 26, 2009 9:17 AM EST
Immediately after word came out that Allen Iverson had announced he was retiring, sources close to him told Stephen A. Smith he was having a change of heart.

"I think he just wants to feel wanted again," one of Iverson's confidants told me Wednesday night.

Originally Posted by lynchpin33

I hate how it is going for Bubba. I was telling people when he was dominating in the early 2000's that when he hit 33 or 34 it was going to be real bad, because of the type of game he played. He can still start but where can he play on a contender his type of game and be successful lets look

cavs - he could be a great spark off the bench there, in crunch time lebron dominates the ball, possible 3rd option behind shaq. people pay to see lebron not to see him defer to iverson in crunch time - not good. also not going to blow up their roster to build a 76ers final squad.

lakers - his game would NEVER work with the triangle, and kobe has that on lock. do you think that kobe would ever defer to anybody?

celtics - if he can accept the role of coming of the bench maybe, but what do you do with eddie house, who is your spark. there is NO WAY he is cracking that starting lineup, who would he sit down. with the money they just paid rondo not possible.

spurs - that runs thru timmy and then tony and manu, so it would definitely have to be off the bench. Pop seems like a guy who does not want to deal with that type of ball player and neither does the organization, so a no go here.

nuggets again, - could not work team is flowing now that they have billups it would never work with them winning with basically the same team, minus camby

so basically where can he go and start. he almost has to accept coming off the bench if he wants to play for a contender, or go to a team with no direction (nets) if he wants to play. nobody in their right mind would blow up their team for somebody who is 34 and under six foot, to build a replica of the 76ers final squad (just a bunch of hustle men) in today's game i do not know who would want to accept that role. hell i would not want like somebody like iverson on my team, somebody who just dribbles and who would call me off my shot to make up a shot. i would rather go to the track and run than play with him.
we may never see his likes again, maybe jennings, but we will see. i can never see a team building around someone under six foot never mind the attitude and not wanting to practice and have things his way.

fair enough and true...the fittings for those teams would be almost inpossible to have or try to assimilate iverson into...those teams had a defined structureand a way forward and all are competing for championships, he would definitely have to shut up and play the deference role....but I say to you though, justlike when he accepted in Detroit to come off the bench...as he said, he would do it once it helps the team and they are winning, the winning never came...Iwould not put the downfall of Pistons that year on AI, cuz 1) it was a bad decision on Dumars to part ways with Billups who controlled that team and made ithis...the chemistry was too strong to break, Rip was nearly in tears, and probably even Big Ben in Cleveland was silently crying right where he was...Allen wasa lovely replacement on paper, but in no way the right fit for replacing Billups and neither was Stuckey (then or now or the future- well maybe) as the actualreplacement at the point. 2) I'll just leave it as Michael Curry...but my mind doesnt permit me to go quietly, but I'll be polite, he had no idea howto mesh that team, wasn't a strong character enough himself and wasn't ready to be elevated to Rookie coach...Joe D probablythought with such a roster, there's no way it go wrong....

Even if AI did go to a contender and at least get Ginobili or Lamar Odom type minutes and that team be winning...Allen Iverson, his character or play would inno way be in question...it would've proven he was a flexible teammate and one willing to accept the stage in his career that he was...If you're in agroup and u know you have something to offer and its just plays over and over that the person infront of you cant get you where you need to go to win, and youhave proven more than enough before you're capable and you're not getting the chance, it would definitely be an annoyance...

you're right though, no team will go that way ever again, it was a crazy crazy risk, but it worked for the 76ers then...every team now is looking for thenext budding star and rightfully wants to nuture their talent, for cheap and build a relationship from ground zero....but not at the expense of winning orgetting a talent that can be a good help and stepping stone for at least 3-5 more years, thats just unfathomable...but thats where, T'Wolves, Knicks, Netsand Memphis come in...I know the immediate gratification can be questionnable when considering long term gains, but this is where that notion can berevisited...

I think AI could fit in with Cleveland, he's better than Mo Williams, Delante and GIbson. One of those three guys could be switched out with Iverson andthey'd have a proven clutch player, not someone who fizzles in the bright lights like they did last postseason. But AI would have to accept second fiddleto Lebron and not go out there gunning it. Him with Lebron could make the Cavs an uptempo team like they need to be, the halfcourt style clearly hasn'tworked out.

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

I think AI could fit in with Cleveland, he's better than Mo Williams, Delante and GIbson. One of those three guys could be switched out with Iverson and they'd have a proven clutch player, not someone who fizzles in the bright lights like they did last postseason. But AI would have to accept second fiddle to Lebron and not go out there gunning it. Him with Lebron could make the Cavs an uptempo team like they need to be, the halfcourt style clearly hasn't worked out.

Interesting....

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

I think AI could fit in with Cleveland, he's better than Mo Williams, Delante and GIbson. One of those three guys could be switched out with Iverson and they'd have a proven clutch player, not someone who fizzles in the bright lights like they did last postseason. But AI would have to accept second fiddle to Lebron and not go out there gunning it. Him with Lebron could make the Cavs an uptempo team like they need to be, the halfcourt style clearly hasn't worked out.

Interesting....

very....

can't wait until the game on TNT tonite to see what Charles and crew will say about this. I have a feeling Charles will say the CAVS. It was real uglylast year watching the CAVS run a 1-4 flat ( the nail) against the magic in crunch time last year. But only if he can take coming off the bench, will thiswork. The next few days or weeks should be real interesting.

I don't know if I ever enjoyed watching anybody as much as this dude...People can say whatever they want them, but if they turned the channel and saw Ivoplaying, you know everyone was watching
pimp.gif

I wish the Knicks would just sign him. I am not a hardcore fan of A.I., but I respect him, and I felt he could've made the Knicks sexy until the Summertime.

Originally Posted by lynchpin33
He's much better than Boobie, Delonte and Anthony Parker who doesn't even fit in with the offense and has yet to find his place.

Thanks AI for the memories
pimp.gif
. Littlest guy with the heart of an elephant.

Haha, wearing this on campus was hella awkward but screw it:
40384225.jpg

Originally Posted by SenatorJeffSmith

Iverson clearly carried the ball against Jordan. If he ever wants to cross Jordan then he'd better to Israel.
Even though he did carry, wow
roll.gif

Originally Posted by SenatorJeffSmith

Iverson clearly carried the ball against Jordan. If he ever wants to cross Jordan then he'd better go to Israel.
*chuckle*

For some reason I don't think he's officially done. We'll see what happens after February trade deadline or sooner.

Back
Top Bottom