Allen Iverson is retiring...Vol: Lets make it a tribute thread, 1996-2009

Originally Posted by Al3xis

he'll be back. Big John's gona knock some sense into him.
a little story ...

im at the capital classic (i think thats what it is/was called where the best high school bball players play an all star game from this area) at the oldwizards joint before verizon ... this is when bogans was a senior ...

im sitting in the stands and i hear this deep voice talking, so i turn around ... John Thompson ... whos he sitting next to? Allen Iverson ... im in awe thatmy favorite player of all time college/pro is behind me ... so i slowly turn back around cuz i dont want to act pressed ESPECIALLY cuz ai was that dude in thestreets
laugh.gif
... i hear thompson say "hey, its ok kid, its ok"... i must have had some type of face on when i turned around prior cuz he was talking to me ...

so i slowly turn back around and he invites me up to sit next to him ... now the whole time in my mind im trying hard as *+** not to talk to iverson cuz i dontwant to come off as being THAT fan ... so we are talking about the game of basketball and what not and JT tells me (i was a small dude) that anythings possiblein the game of basketball if you want it bad enough, and points to ai as proof ... i look at ai and said "naw coach, you dont learn that or work to get tothat, thats special" ... ai turns and daps me up and says "i appreciate it homie" ... John Thompson says "well you have that right"and we all laughed and continued watching the game ...

i finally got over the shock/awe of sitting next to my idol and just cut it up with him and JT for the entire game ... ai wasnt this impersonal dude or somecold shoulder type star ... maybe it was because JT was sitting next to him but dude was just normal ... at one point someone dunked something serious and weboth got up and cheered and he turned to me and dapped me up just like any of my boys would have done ...

so hopefully you are right and JT gets him back on the court somehow ...

ai is my favorite player of all time ... i wore #3 in high school ... begged my mom for every pair of questions/answers that ever came out when i was younger... i have all his jerseys ... ai was my NBA ...
frown.gif

This is a sad day for me, man Im.....

The memories that man made for me...over here in Europe...everyone was on his jock. He was the first legit next MJ. That Game 1.....against LA...David beatGoliath straight up...

That whole playoff run...against Vince...against Ray Ray....against Miller...all 7 game....he put his whole heart out that year....and carried that team allthe way to the end.

Lakers got their only beating in that playoffs...against AI and his Sixers.

I'm sad about this. Sad to see all these pathetic idiots on numerous forums talk trash about AI as if they were saving themselves for this moment to come,because they hated him for whatever reason when he was on top, and now they get their little fun out of this...freakin buffoons...

I'm strolling through my AI folder...lots of pics...lots of memories...thanks Bubba...for real, thanks.

What mike that's not fathomable? That news was from Ronnie Thompson, so Allen will at least hear him out and if anyone can get him to see a different sideof things it'd be JT.

nice story, marley.

There ain't enough
frown.gif
to describe how I feel right now, I just hope that this is temporarily.
frown.gif
tired.gif

Originally Posted by krazy88s

DoubleJs07 wrote:

I have a strong feeling that he isn't done. Well, at least I hope.

He's my all time favorite player. I've followed the dude since Doug Wilder gave him the pardon and he was able to attend G'Town. Iverson (to me) is the most amazing athlete to ever grace a NBA hardwood. We'll NEVER see another 6'0" scoring guard taken #1 overall. Just think about the "clones" over the years...SirValiant Brown, Luis Flores, Troy Bell, Keydren Clark, Marcus Hatten, etc...all of those dudes were DYNAMIC at the collegiate level, but none were either drafted (sans Bell and Flores), or made an impact on the NBA level. In retrospect, these guys failures should really make one appreciate what Iverson did night in, and night out.

This guy was as tough as they come in the NBA. He MAAAAAYBE weighed 160 pounds, but he never let any bump/bruise deter him from getting to the rack and initiating contact. He's a warrior. It's real easy to pile on to what Iverson became after he left Philly (in essence, going to DET...he was a great player in Denver). People will look at his final 2-3 years in the league rather than looking at the whole picture. Iverson is, and always will be amazing. All these issues came to surface after he was dealt to Detroit. He will go down as one of the greatest talents to ever play in the NBA, regardless of the sideshow his career has become. If you follow hoops, you know how amazing his career is. It's a shame that due to the "what have you done for me lately" nature folks have, AI is IMO being unfairly criticized, and that criticism is what is driving people to make rash judgments on his WHOLE career. Look at the whole picture when discussing AI...not just the past 2-3 years that have crippled his legacy in many folks' eyes...

This is a sad day for me, because like I said...he's my all-time favorite player. I really hope this isn't the last we hear of him. In a perfect world, he'll get a ring and hang it up. I just don't want to believe he's done
smh.gif

Agreed.
frown.gif

co-sign

heres my unbiased view on the man.

while i've criticized him alot recently for the way he's came across, his career is defenitly appreciated.

i remember the 1999 first round when my two favorite players at the time met in the first round, penny and iverson. after being a doormat for years phillyupset orlando and played the pacers close even though they got swept.

the next year philly made it to the second round again and took the pacers to 6 games but played them tough. after that one year later allen iversons biggestsuccess as a team player occured when philly made that trip to the finals.

part of it was questionable team management moves and part of it was iverson not being in the right situation but from there on out except for 2003 wherephilly was a pistons game winning shot away from going up 3-2 in the 2nd round and possibly to the ecf again his team success didn't happen.

he did make philly relevant again and a prime matchup to see, and from 1999-2003 pre lebron, iverson was one of the faces of the league.

while he came across as a me first type person in recent years, i will say this. at least he was honest and upfront about it rather then most nba players whoput an act on but in reality are just as me first as iverson.

i hope this isn't the end for him because if he would just take his role as a bench player for a few games and do his thing, he would be a starter again inno time. i think he'll be back and playing again within the next year and if he does hopefully he can finish his career the right way.

Originally Posted by grittyman20

Why does Iverson have to accept a role coming off the bench?

He doesn't, and he shouldn't...

...[T.I.] It's a catch-22: either you lose or you lose. That's the way the game's structured - for real +$$#%# to suffer. [/T.I.]

Originally Posted by grittyman20

Why does Iverson have to accept a role coming off the bench?
im sayin ... if you are better than the people starting, why should you accept sitting? people mad that ai didnt want to sit behind them saucey!*% dudes on the grizzlies?
roll.gif

we will see how much talent develops from the grizzlies and knicks and how well they do this year ... ... ...
indifferent.gif

I don't care what anybody says, there's alot of scrubs out there , that play for scrub teams in the NBA, and I know Allen is looking at teams like theTimberwolves, Knicks, and Nets and asking himself why he's not out there starting...

A.I. is not the same player he once was but he's not garbage either...not even close to it actually. Yes, he jacks up alot of shots. Yes, he dominates theoffense.....but with teams like the aforementioned he'd put up points for teams that can't even win a single game *cough* Nets *cough*..

I guess there's no respect anymore for a guy like A.I. All dude did his entire career, was battel critics, battle opposing teams, and play his heartout...especially for the Sixers...

But if this is the end of the road, which I hope it isn't for the man, it was a memorable one...to me Allen I. will always be a Sixer.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I have a strong feeling that he isn't done. Well, at least I hope.

He's my all time favorite player. I've followed the dude since Doug Wilder gave him the pardon and he was able to attend G'Town. Iverson (to me) is the most amazing athlete to ever grace a NBA hardwood. We'll NEVER see another 6'0" scoring guard taken #1 overall. Just think about the "clones" over the years...SirValiant Brown, Luis Flores, Troy Bell, Keydren Clark, Marcus Hatten, etc...all of those dudes were DYNAMIC at the collegiate level, but none were either drafted (sans Bell and Flores), or made an impact on the NBA level. In retrospect, these guys failures should really make one appreciate what Iverson did night in, and night out.

This guy was as tough as they come in the NBA. He MAAAAAYBE weighed 160 pounds, but he never let any bump/bruise deter him from getting to the rack and initiating contact. He's a warrior. It's real easy to pile on to what Iverson became after he left Philly (in essence, going to DET...he was a great player in Denver). People will look at his final 2-3 years in the league rather than looking at the whole picture. Iverson is, and always will be amazing. All these issues came to surface after he was dealt to Detroit. He will go down as one of the greatest talents to ever play in the NBA, regardless of the sideshow his career has become. If you follow hoops, you know how amazing his career is. It's a shame that due to the "what have you done for me lately" nature folks have, AI is IMO being unfairly criticized, and that criticism is what is driving people to make rash judgments on his WHOLE career. Look at the whole picture when discussing AI...not just the past 2-3 years that have crippled his legacy in many folks' eyes...

This is a sad day for me, because like I said...he's my all-time favorite player. I really hope this isn't the last we hear of him. In a perfect world, he'll get a ring and hang it up. I just don't want to believe he's done
smh.gif
I havent been able to write up something as eloquent as this since I heard the news last night but merely rant and air my displeasure mainly withthe Detroit and Michael Curry situation which I also believed was caused Allen's career to be derailed. You hit every nail on the head here in this postand most definitely dude was unfairly criticised.....its someting to see people in this thread say "good riddance" and things of that nature, callIverson what you want and magnify the last 2 years as you wish, but the now cliche of Iverson being arguably the best player "pound for pound" willalways resonate with me and for many and for the Hall of Fame!...and that in itself, does speak volumes about this guy's game. You have to respect thisguy's ability to get to the hole and threat he was any time he had the ball....a volume shooter he was, yes...but thats due to his restrictions in heightand size..HE DID WHAT HE HAD TO DO TO GET IT DONE!

I lost my respect partly for the detroit franchise after he left, but I really do blame it on Curry who had no clue how to play his X's and O's....hadno plan on how to utilise a team with 5 all-star caliber players to get them to the destination they needed to go...nothing made me miss Flip Saunders morethan seeing this guy roam the lines and indirectly belittle AI the way he did.....he was damn clueless! Thanks Joe Dumars for realising that and firing hisscont!

Definitely my favourite player (well I have 3 all time, MJ, Penny and AI), I modeled my game so much after him during the late 90's onwards...benefitted mealot as well, as my relentless play earned the "oooh's and ahhh's" and the call "Iverson" anytime I drove to the hoop and didacrobatic layups....AI definitely is STILL a strarter in this league and like Jamaal Mashburn said....maybe apart from 5-6 teams who probably dont need him ontheir roster,...no other team has no real reason not to hire AI and allow him to properly compete for a starting spot...all they cry about is future and a goodbit of them have no future!...Pure nonsense if you ask me! I will say again though like in my previous posts I do believe he acted very childish with thesituation in Memphis and should've been patient, cuz I don't see how maybe by now he wouldnt be starting...he should've used the bench minutes toget the rust off his game and remind people of who he is, he did say he needed tis to be like a Rookie season again and prove the doubters wrong...heshouldn't have left...But I do believe his actions to not stand for that crap was justified...Long live AI!...get back soon....cuz a bunch of us know uwill...this cant be the end!

Originally Posted by shoeking2101

Honestly, there are few players in the history of this league that can fill it up the way that he did. I will debate this with anybody, there are few players better than this guy period. Very sad to see him go like this, but imo the league has had it in for him for awhile. They finally got him smh

Many people are saying why can't he just accept a bench role? Well, if I can still fill it up to the tune of 27 a game, and I'm watching mike conley, and rodney stuckey play in front of me, what would that make you do? The league just don't want a.i. no more, and retiring was the best thing to do before these #@$@%!! managers mess up his legacy even more.

The best thing about ai to me was that he didn't change for anybody. He stayed true to who he was, no matter what the media said about him. Your clothes too baggy, so what? Too many tatoos....So what? you need to come off the bench...*%*$ that, ima retire then. From my point of view, if you can live and die by your word, your a hell of a man and that's who ai was imo. Just sad to see him leave out this way. They literally forced him out of the League smh.

This is just the beginning. While the new stars of the nba, from Lebron to Wade to paul to young hot shots like brandon jennings take the league by storm, the icons of the late 90's and on to the new millenium are fading away. Ai is gone, Shaq should be, Jason kidd is knocking on the door, if tmac can't recover he will be there, kevin garnett can barely walk now, Ray allen can't get to 20 points anymore, rasheed wallace just went scoreless in a game, the era is coming to a close. It seems like the only person fighting fathertime is Kobe bryant, and that's due to the fact that he started out not playing much, and as his career went on, we know what happened. But also, Bryant's work ethic is superior to anybody mentioned, so that plays a major part in this as well.

But his time will come. When kobe gets to be ai's age, we'll see where kobe's at. Both's best season came during the same year, 05-06. Ironic imo that Jordan played his last game against ai, and AI played his last game against Kobe. Just sad to see man.
nice post! and nice realisation with the last game stuff at the end...

Good to hear that hes gonna be spending some time with Big John, like someone said hes one of the few that actually gives a damn. Maybe Chuck wont be doneafter all....personally Im not ready to see him walk away from the game yet.

Back
Top Bottom