and we're done

No shoulder surgery for Carmelo
July 10th, 2013 2:25 pm
Head coach Mike Woodson confirmed that Carmelo Anthony will not need shoulder surgery.

Anthony was diagnosed with a a torn labrum in his left shoulder at the end of May.

I hope his shoulder will be 100% healed before the season starts.

Chris Smith hoping to join brother J.R. on the Knicks
July 10th, 2013 2:26 pm
Now that J.R. Smith has officially signed with the Knicks, his younger brother Chris is looking to make it into the pros, as well.

Chris is in Nevada, playing for the Knicks’ summer league team. Last season Chris participated in the Knicks’ training camp, but suffered a knee injury and was eventually waived.

He decided to stay with New York, and that decision has helped him grow as a player, according to Newsday.

Now that Jason Kidd has retired, the Knicks may be looking for new point guards, a position that Chris is hoping to fill. And playing with his brother wouldn’t be hurt, either.

“My goal is to make training camp, make the team and have the brotherly tandem that everyone has been talking about,” Chris said.

I don't think Chris Smith makes the roster. No doubt that he is going to make the training camp.

Prigs is more valuable to this team than Cope. He gives you another ball handler on the court, offense runs much better and ball doesn't stick as much when he's out there, allows Felton to switch to the 2 when Knicks play small.

I would've liked to keep Copeland, but the reality of it is he was out of our price range.

Knicks foresaw this during the season though. That's why Woodson mysteriously limited his minutes for a good while. Most likely was told to do it from someone above him.

Prigs is more valuable to this team than Cope. He gives you another ball handler on the court, offense runs much better and ball doesn't stick as much when he's out there, allows Felton to switch to the 2 when Knicks play small.

I would've liked to keep Copeland, but the reality of it is he was out of our price range.

Knicks foresaw this during the season though. That's why Woodson mysteriously limited his minutes for a good while. Most likely was told to do it from someone above him.

That's one way of looking at it. But why not cut ties now to a 35 y/o guard at the end of his career. Copeland has more upside. For what you described for Prigs, you can replace that. Plus he doesn't look to shoot. I'm willing to bet that the Knicks will regret not signing Copeland for longer. I can live watching a guy flourish for 3 years somewhere else knowing I could have had him as opposed to 10 for another guy. Gotta think long term man.

Dad wants World Peace to finish career with Knicks
By MARC BERMAN

Last Updated: 11:41 AM, July 10, 2013

LAS VEGAS — Ron Artest Sr. is hoping if his son, Metta World Peace, is waived today via the amnesty rule, he will attempt to finish his career with the Knicks.

Nevertheless, Artest Sr. said as of last night, World Peace is seriously considering retiring instead of finishing his NBA career in the Big Apple.

Artest Sr. told The Post his son’s strong preference is to remain with the Lakers and he may decide to end his career instead of signing with the Knicks, because he does not want to uproot his kids in Los Angeles.

According to an Orange County Register report, the Lakers intended to waive World Peace. Subsequent reports stated no decision had been made. Kobe Bryant took to twitter Monday night, stating the club should keep World Peace and try to win a title with what they have.

Earlier in the day, Artest Sr. said, “He wants to stay with the Lakers for a couple of more years but if not, he wants to finish his career in New York if he can. This would be full circle.

By last night, the son was having a change of heart, feeling retirement would be best.

“I know he said he doesn’t want to play with a team like Milwaukee or Minnesota,’’ Artest Sr. said.

The Knicks are in search of a defensive small forward off the free-agent market and World Peace is intriguing to them. The Queensbridge product would seek the $1.4 million veteran’s minimum, which is basically what the Knicks have to offer. (They also have the remaining $1.7 million left of their mini mid-level.)

Artest Sr. said he still was hoping his son doesn’t retire and comes home.

“Let’s hope and pray it happens,’’ Artest Sr. said.

In 1999, the Knicks infamously passed on the former Ron Artest with their first-round pick to select French center Frederic Weis. The Lakers would save a good deal in salary and luxury tax, as World Peace is scheduled to making $7.7 million in his final season.

The Knicks and Nets would not get first crack at World Peace; teams under the cap would be eligible to bid on him first.

* The Knicks worked out 37-year-old veteran swingman Raja Bell Monday at their practice facility. One of Mike D’Antoni’s favorites, Bell skipped the 2012-13 season. ... With so many forward targets falling by the wayside, the Knicks have kept tabs of Hawks combo forward Anthony Tolliver, a good defender with 3-point range. But Tolliver is waiting on an offer from Atlanta.

* Iman Shumpert may only play the first three Summer League games. ... The Sixers named former Garden president Scott O’Neil as CEO. O’Neil stepped down last summer from the Knicks and faces a rebuilding project in Philadelphia, as he did when he started at MSG.

“You’ll see good growth,’’ O’Neil said. “We have a lot of tickets to sell, the sponsorship base needs to be grown. It’s the early stage. The fun is in the growth.’’

Asked about working for James Dolan, O’Neil said, “I’d work for him again.’’

[email protected]

Artest may be crazy and he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he gives you 100 percent. Plays great defense, he can rebound, he can hit the three ball. He does the little things and brings toughness to a team. For the most part, he is a great team player. Every player has always said so.

Artest and JR are not similar in that respect. JR has no problem going to clubs and drinking or doing whatever. Artest doesn't do that, he doesn't drink, he doesn't smoke, he doesn't do drugs - he's mentally not there. But that's okay, he'd be a great addition to our team. I hope we get him. We shouldn't think twice about it.

Last edited:
I'm not losing any sleep over Cope. It's an assumption to say he'll flourish in Indy. He's not better than dude from ny that's on that team.

Privy Smalls is the illest. I think he'll learn from his not looking to shoot ways and he's already an amazing passer.

Top 4 seeds in the east are going to be;

Heat
Pacers
Knicks
Nets

( no particular order )

It's very doubtful the Knicks get bounced in the first unless the team falls apart.

Bulls are gonna fall into that 5/6 seed.

But with Rose coming back and Thibs putting all that mileage on that team along with the thin bench.

Wizards, Hawks, Cavs, Celtics, Pistons are gonna make up those final 3 seeds and those are 5 game series for the top 4 seeds.

Can see the Bulls finishing higher then us if Rose firing from the start and they pick up a few pieces
That's if Rosé is even there from the start.

Plus given how the Pacers faltered last season it's not like they're the lock for the 2nd seed.

Amar’e will be held to 20 minutes per game
July 10th, 2013 3:25 pm
With Andrea Bargnani in the fold, the Knicks will hold Amar’e Stoudemire to 20 minutes per game, according to Marc Berman in the New York Post.

Head coach Mike Woodson confirmed the report in Las Vegas on Wednesday.

“He’s not going to play a ton of minutes,’’ Stoudemire’s agent Happy Walters said.

Ouch. Not good news for Amar'e.

Amar’e will be held to 20 minutes per game
July 10th, 2013 3:25 pm
With Andrea Bargnani in the fold, the Knicks will hold Amar’e Stoudemire to 20 minutes per game, according to Marc Berman in the New York Post.

Head coach Mike Woodson confirmed the report in Las Vegas on Wednesday.

“He’s not going to play a ton of minutes,’’ Stoudemire’s agent Happy Walters said.

Ouch. Not good news for Amar'e.
25 mins. Sounds good not a sec over

Plus he doesn't look to shoot.
Exactly...

...and that's why he's a better fit.

JR, Bargnani, STAT, Melo.

Just drafted another guy who shoots first/asks questions later.

There has to be some sort of balance. Prigs provides that.

During the playoffs, he was more aggressive looking for his shot when defenders went under on PnR's. I specifically remember him punishing Boston with 3's when they dared him to shoot. Hopefully he continues to do that this upcoming season.

Bothers inbounders. Pest on defense. Never takes plays off. Prevents fast breaks with smart fouls. I could go on and on. You're underrating his value to this team.
But why not cut ties now to a 35 y/o guard at the end of his career. Copeland has more upside. Gotta think long term man.
Copeland has a chance to perform well in a different role w/ Indiana, but you're talking about a guy who's turning 30 next season and, had he stayed here, wouldn't have a David West/Roy Hibbert tandem to cover up his defensive mistakes.

This team is built to win within the next 2 years. Bottom line is Prigs helps them in that department more so than Cope will.

Last edited:
^ I see what you are saying about Prigs. Idk maybe I'm looking at his age too much. One piece missing from him fitting in and doing what he was doing...Jason Kidd. The fact that he was the buffer between he and Felton was underrated. Prigs is 35 turning 36 and more will be required of him in his role. His performance in extended minutes remains to be seen without another experienced guard to relieve him. We'll see how he will play when he's asked basically to take over Kidd's minutes/role in addition to his own. I think they worked well together in that rotation.

priggy's too important to the success of this team to have let him go. i take him over cope 99 out of 99.

btw, wrote a blog post on nba free agency and teams overpaying.

http://frankcesare.blogspot.com/2013/07/nba-free-agency.html

NBA Free Agency
Today is the first official day organizations can sign free agents. Up until the tenth of July, teams were allowed to communicate, court and extend offers to players. If the player accepted, it was only a verbal agreement. In some past instances, a la the Carlos Boozer situation in Cleveland, a player would go against the agreement made and sign elsewhere, but that rarely occurred.

In Boozer's case, he left the Cavs after initially agreeing to re-sign with them for roughly an extra $20 million more and the opportunity to play for one of the greatest coaches in the history of the NBA. A lot of people nagged the Duke alum for his decision, betraying LeBron James and the city of Cleveland, but the Cavaliers did it to themselves with their below market offer.

A player's market value varies upon position, size, age, and athleticism. A seven foot center under the age of 35, no matter how lousy, will always receive an offer above $1 million a year because of the "you can't teach seven feet" logic which is borderline asinine. Jerome James stole $30 million from the Knicks over the course of five years after averaging 12.5 points and 6.8 rebounds in 11 playoff games for the Seattle SuperSonics in 2005 because of this rationale.

Eddy Curry, like Jerome James, also robbed the Knicks after Isaiah Thomas arranged a sign and trade deal with the Chicago Bulls that gave Curry $60 million over 6 seasons. Zeke made the move for Curry at the time, even though the center had heart and weight issues, based on potential and size. In that deal, the Knicks gave up what would be the number 2 pick overall, which Chicago botched by drafting and trading LaMarcus Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas (a guy that would be overpaid later on because of his athleticism and size), and the number 9 pick the following year (Chicago had the right to swap picks with the Knicks and they did), Joakim Noah.

Andrew Bynum, whom missed the entire 2012-13 season for the 76ers and was diagnosed with degenerative knees, received an incentive laden offer with the Cleveland Cavaliers for $24 million over two years, the second being a team option, because of, you guessed it: Potential and Size. Bynum, only 25 years of age, was the second best center in the league when healthy but those days may only be memories at this point. The rationale with him is his age, but age doesn't mean diddly when you're a seven footer with knee issues. Just look at Greg Oden.

A young athlete with long arms that can run the floor, catch the ball in transition, play the passing lanes, rebound and defend marginally, will always be sought after, regardless if the guy can shoot, pass or dribble. In the eyes of those GM's, the shooting, dribbling and passing can develop later on, but the leaping ability and wingspan were must haves today. Little did those GM's realize, not every talented athlete had the patience or desire to develop their game after signing a long-term contract. Darius Miles epitomized this paragraph and only hung around the NBA as long as he did and made as much as he did because of his athleticism and wingspan.

Combo guards also had the potential to make a lot of money after showing out on terrible teams. Ben Gordon duped the Pistons into believing he was an all-star after electrifying the Chicago Bulls and their fans early in his career. Joe Dumars gave him a five-year $58 million deal that he subconsciously regretted immediately. But that has been the NBA way. When teams have had money, they have spent it solely for the purpose of spending it.

Dumars has done it again with the four-year $54 million Josh Smith signing. While I like J Smoove as a player, his lack of a consistent jump shot has pinned him to the power forward position. Detroit, seeing as how they already possess two young big men oozing with potential in Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond, view Smith as their small forward of the near future. And although Smith possesses the abilities to defend 3s with regularity, he's better suited to score against 4s.

On paper, the Pistons would have been better off pursuing Andre Iguodala (Warriors) or Tyreke Evans (Pelicans). Both were capable of playing the 2 or the 3, question mark positions for Detroit, and they both had the ability to run the offense for stretches. Evans was a restricted free agent, however, which was likely to be why Dumars shied away, and to be fair, Tyreke has regressed since his rookie season, but that had to do more with Sacramento's coaching carrousel and glut of guards.

Iggy went to an exciting young team with three budding stars so he may not have had interest in rebuilding Detroit, but at the end of the day money talks and if Dumars wanted to overpay for Andre, Iguodala would have been there.

NBA free agency has always been about teams overpaying for their incoming players. Sometimes, if a player was a restricted free agent, an organization would go above market value in hopes of the contract not being matched, but more often than not, a player was overpaid for what they possibly represented (size, potential, leaping ability, past stats--empty or not), as opposed to their current performance and outlook. There have been instances of teams bringing in players on fair contracts, or below market value, like Denver signing JJ Hickson for three-years $15 million, but usually when a team gets a deal, it's with a veteran player that had a lousy agent, gave them a hometown discount or simply wanted the opportunity for a ring.

We'll see how GM's issue contracts after this Collective Bargaining Agreement expires and the next one is drawn up.

yeah i mentioned zeke's mishaps...except for jeffries.

Last edited:
This fool has on a Knick hat and a Laker t shirt, I just clicked the pic :rofl:

"NY DNA, blue and orange blood, Knicks all day" Metta says in the link to the video below around the 1:53 mark. This video is from last year, so seeing him wear a Knicks hat isn't weird.

Last edited:
Man **** a dad. How come these dudes always getting comments from Dads? do they run up in Dad's office at work and ask for an interview?

In 1999, the Knicks infamously passed on the former Ron Artest with their first-round pick to select French center Frederic Weis.

NIIIIIIIIICCCCCEEEEEEE

This represents our team the best.

We can go on forever with this premise. Please, let's not go down that road again.

Man **** a dad. How come these dudes always getting comments from Dads? do they run up in Dad's office at work and ask for an interview?

Pretty much. They definitely reach out to them for a comment....I don't know why more parents just don't comment. They give life to a story that really doesn't have much legs like in this situation.

Back
Top Bottom