and we're done

No I'm saying as the no. 1 option those stats are trash. As a role player on THIS team he would contribute a nearly nil.

Gabe when the hell has Shump ever been a good one on one scorer ? Sons handle is weak as **** and blows more layups than Melo. He's supposed to be this athletic freak but in actuality he struggles doing things that most athletic guards do well like fininshing at the rim and having a quick first step . Dude is not even in the same tier offensively as Redick and quite honestly not better defensively than him at this point . JJ puts in the ECF along with a healthy Camby and Sheed

I agree his handle could use some improvement, but this was our PG last year before the Linsanity. How can ya forget so easy? Granted we weren't very successful with him at the point, but lets not act like he didn't make due. His court vision is WAY better then ya giving him credit. When has J.J. Reddick ever been able to penetrate and find open players? He doesn't. He's a shooter.

I didn't say he was a good 1 on 1 player I said he was a better one on one player then Reddick. And on top of that its not even an important factor in my argument. I could delete that part of my post and still Shump would be better.

You crapping on his athleticism while he's working his way back from an ACL injury. He's back sooner then planned and probably sooner then suggested.

You gon tell me he wasn't dunking on dudes and catching put backs last year while he was healthy?

J.J. Freaking REDDICK is what is gonna push us over the hump to get to the ECF? :lol: come on bruh.

The CURRENT roster with a healthy Camby and Sheed get to the ECF.

Sheed is really who were missing the most. He's the heartbeat to our defense. That's why since he's been hurt we've fallen off severely in that area. I wish we could have seen Shump out there WITH Sheed on D to start he season.... :x

Last edited:
We weren't flourishing with a major post presence early in the season were we? We were getting it done with ball movement and a shooter at every position. And yes, being able to hit a shot off a screen when our best shooter can only catch and shoot and is rendered useless once a body is near him is valuable. You keep saying we already got guys who can do such and such but fail to realize that they aren't being used properly and it's primarily because of the fact most of them play the same position.

Shumpert is a better defender but how long is it going to take him to get back to that? Being fresh off of an ACL injury plus playing out of position every night is doing him or the team no favors. He isn't shutting down anyone currently and who knows if he'll be there when the playoffs roll around.

As for offense, we use a lot of pick and rolls. You don't think J.J. Redick on a team with a two good pick and roll players in Amare and Tyson would help us out?
Reddick is a better shooter and passer than Iman. Iman has the edge on defense and of course, youth. But if you can't see how a bonafide knockdown shooter who isn't one-dimensional like Novak can help our squad playing off of Melo than I can't help you. Not to mention Brewer can now slide over and play the three and we wouldn't be playing someone out of position aside from Melo, and he's shown that he can handle that role. We are a small ball team, we need the proper players for it and as of right now at this very second Iman looks like the odd man out.

Y'all are just focusing on the names are completely neglecting the fact our second best player is on borrowed time, we have a small window to win and our playing style isn't allowing us to utilize all of our bench options currently. I can understand the concerns for the future but I also realize we have to do whatever it is that can help us now.
This guy gets it.

I think many of you are confusing the Shump from last year with the current version. Clearly not the same player...and isn't being helped by the team's identity (which is diff. from '11-12 Knicks) and a role change. I'll assume this is what we're gonna get from him for the rest of the year and any substantial improvement, or even a return to what he provided last year, would have to come with time...probably next season.

Redick gives us a better chance to win THIS year.

That being said...I probably wouldn't make the swap because of the J.R. factor. Allen brought it up when the Dudley/Shump rumors were going around and the same applies here. J.R.'s a FA after the season (as is Redick)...and in the NBA it's virtually a guarantee that some desperate team throws out tons of cash for a marginal player. J.R.'s looking like he's gonna be that guy this offseason. If he gets an offer he can't refuse, he's gone and you're forced to bring Redick back at a price you're not real comfortable with or he bolts too. So there's the possibility you lose Shump, J.J. and J.R. within a few months span. Brewer is as good as gone right now. The risk factor is too great IMO...you gotta keep Shump to avoid a potential disaster.

I'm face palming left and right here. Shump been back from ACL surgery for a couple weeks and we're talking about trading him for a JJ Redick.

Come on.. He's their number one option? How so? He's not even a full time starter. You're just talking just to talk. His numbers aren't inflated at all, his assists are up but other than that his production has been consistent. Look at some stats why don't you.

I liked the Dudley rumor more because it offered more versatility in Melo playing the 4 and a defender to wear on LeBron/Pierce. I guess with Redick I still think it's the same issue with Shumpert - how is he getting on the floor? JR would still be the better alternative at SG..so are you going to go super small and play both? Ditch Felton/Kidd combo entirely?

My thing with moving Iman is getting a player who can finish games and potentially improve your best lineup - specifically vs Miami. I don't see swapping him out for another SG doing that. Unless they think he's better with Felt on + Big 3 than JR (I don't)

Last edited:
Ok. I'm exaggerating the fact that he's the #1 option. But on a team like the Magic his stats are definitely inflated.

Every year at the trade deadline, there is at least one move that comes out of left field – a deal that nobody talked about or saw coming in the weeks leading up to the deadline. This year, it sounds like the New York Knicks are the team that’s attempting to swing for the fences and pull off that deal.

While the Knicks have weighed several minor deals that would bring in a veteran role player – such as Jared Dudley, J.J. Redick or Luke Ridnour – they have also been gauging interest in an Amar’e Stoudemire and Iman Shumpert package, according to sources. The Knicks are shopping this package in an attempt to land a significant player. One player that they’d like to pry loose is Josh Smith of the Atlanta Hawks, according to a league source. While it’s admittedly unlikely, it’s a rumor that has floated around in recent days.

It’s a deal that makes sense for New York. A trade of Stoudemire and Shumpert for Smith and a filler such as Zaza Pachulia, for example, would work under the cap. The Knicks get a big-time player and suddenly, they have the talent to contend for a championship this year (and for years to come if they can re-sign Smith this summer).

The question is why would Atlanta do this? The Hawks would be giving up their cap flexibility by taking on the two years and $45,090,881 remaining on Stoudemire’s contract. The only way Atlanta does this trade is if they’ve given up hope of signing a star free agent this summer and want to bring in a big name that they can sell to their fans. Money aside, Stoudemire has played well this season in New York and he and Al Horford would form a nice frontcourt in Atlanta. Also, the Hawks have made an effort to bring in players from Georgia to engage the fanbase such as Anthony Morrow and Lou Williams. Shumpert starred at Georgia Tech and could be a fan favorite in Atlanta. However, it’s hard to get past the money aspect since the Hawks seem determined to preserve their cap space.

Again, this is out of left field and seems unlikely, but it’s a rumor that’s floating out there so we’re passing it along.

If Atlanta truly gets desperate (and we’ve seen those kind of deals at past deadlines) and feels that they have to trade Smith, New York will be among the teams trying to scoop up the 27-year-old. Landing Smith seems unlikely for New York, but the Knicks are certainly trying to hit a home run and solidify themselves an elite team

what kind of lineups would you use with Smith since Melo is his best at the 4?

I'm so tired of this melo is best at the 4 myth . when amare was out melo was guarded by 3's and 4's equally. Depending on who's guarding him he takes advantage , you put a bigger guy on him he blows by you put a smaller guy on his he overpowers him. It all depends on who's on the floor with him and what matchups the opposing team goes with. With smith on the floor with melo they would absolutely abuse opposing 3/4 combinations . Miami would be overwhelmed by a melo and smith front line offensively and be worn down by a smith and Tyson frontline defensively in a 7 game series.

Ok. I'm exaggerating the fact that he's the #1 option. But on a team like the Magic his stats are definitely inflated.
But they're not... that's the point I keep making. His production has been consistent the past few seasons (when the Magic were a better team). He's just getting more minutes. His assists and turnovers are up, but his shooting % is improved slightly. He's not out there putting up 25 a game on a terrible team compared to 4 points on a contender.

But like Nolan said, I'm not crazy about adding JJ because it's an SG for SG swap. A move to give us more options would be better.

Last edited:
Melo at the 4 is best because it opens up the perimeter/3 point game that we were destroying teams with in the beginning of the season

I'd be down with the Smith trade. Really makes me better all around. Would suck to lose Shumpert though. He's our defender, but I'm sure you can find another rookie like him in next years draft.

Josh Smith and Melo on the same team? With ISO Woody coaching?! You can kiss goodbye any chance of that early season ball movement returning.

Last edited:
Gabe when the hell has Shump ever been a good one on one scorer ? Sons handle is weak as **** and blows more layups than Melo. He's supposed to be this athletic freak but in actuality he struggles doing things that most athletic guards do well like fininshing at the rim and having a quick first step . Dude is not even in the same tier offensively as Redick and quite honestly not better defensively than him at this point . JJ puts in the ECF along with a healthy Camby and Sheed
Did you just say JJ Reddick is a better defender than Shump? Trying to passively put in "at this point" like Shump just aint return from an ACL injury? Is this not Shump's 2nd year in the NBA? You're crazy. Like really crazy.

Crazy.

Just say you not a fan of Shump cuz these posts about him at this point are see through :lol:

Right now we don't need JJ, especially what he provides a team. Given where our team is at offensively I have no idea why you're solely focusing on offense in your arguments anyway but I guess that's the only argument.

If anything right now this team needs more defense. More defense. Most importantly another big for insurance.
So were interested in Jermaine O'Neal now...according to rumors and sources.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/226218/Knicks-Interested-In-Jermaine-ONeal

#WHEREISKENYON
Nah **** Jermaine O'Neal. Lets try to get big men without a loaded history of injuries. We get him and his legs would shatter. Lets not forget he'd be leaving PHX.
I'm face palming left and right here. Shump been back from ACL surgery for a couple weeks and we're talking about trading him for a JJ Redick.
Hey man, why you think I had to get the 20 games lost in a row post out the way? This slope turned in to a free fall :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom