and we're done

Only Camby is left to go...

I don't see Camby walking away though. Kidd has a legacy that he would rather not damage further, not really the case with Camby.

I wouldn't be so quick to discard of Camby. There's no one that we can sign that could have the impact he could have.

He's had such an impact thus far !

Im joking, but he can't stay healthy and it won't get better with age. he probably played like 20 games this season, around 5mins each

Last edited:
So say we let him go, mind you we'll be unable to sign a big man of note with or without Camby, and he manages to stay healthy somewhere else.

He had been relatively healthy and productive before he got to NY.

Kidd's Retirement Could Have Positive Long-Term Effect For Knicks: http://www.nj.com/knicks/index.ssf/2013/06/knicks_jason_kidd_retiring_cou.html

Jason Kidd's timing has always been impeccable during his 19-year career, and today's announcement of his retirement should also count as a positive.

The future Hall of Famer admitted he was going back and forth over whether he should retire as recently as last Thursday when he was spotted at New York Giants' star Justin Tuck's charity function, and was quoted saying that he wasn't sure if he could go through the grind again of another season.

That was telling because as any professional athlete will admit, once they start thinking about playing another year or not, they've basically already made their decision to walk away. Kidd, who turned 40 in March, did way more good than harm for the Knicks in his only season in New York -- even if he ended his brilliant career ignominiously by not scoring a point his final 10 postseason games and being benched by head coach Mike Woodson in the Knicks' final two playoff games against the Indiana Pacers because of his ineffectiveness.

But if not for Kidd's torrid start to the regular season, when he was integral in leading the Knicks to an NBA-best 18-5 start, playing marvelously as the team's starting shooting guard, and filling in admirably for starting point guard Raymond Felton when he went down with an early injury, the Knicks would've never won 54 games and earned the No. 2 seed in the Eastern Conference. He averaged 6.0 points, 3.3 assists, and 4.3 rebounds per game this season (his career averages are 12.6, 8.7, and 6.3, respectively).

During Tuck's event, Kidd noted that money was not a factor in whether to retire or not, but ironically, money will be a key factor in how the Knicks can use his now vacant spot. His retirement will allow the Knicks to forgo paying the final two years of his mid-level deal that would've been worth $6.2 million. And while it may leave the team thin at point guard (Pablo Prigioni, a free agent, is still deciding whether to return), it does give the team a slight reprieve, especially since they'll be dealing with the tax threshold.

Kidd's retirement won't give the Knicks immediate cap relief, but it will save them some money in luxury taxes. The NBA salary cap will be set at $58.5 million, and prior to Kidd's announcement, they Knicks were to have almost $75 million tied up in guaranteed payouts for next season.

New York will now have Kidd's slot open, as well as the mini-taxpayers' mid-level exception (usually around $3.2 million, although the league has not yet set the official figures). The loose cash could either be used on just one good player who may not garner his asking price and may have to suck up his pride and take the exception, or the Knicks could spread that portion over perhaps two or three decent players who might decide to join the Knicks on the cheap.

Either way, change will come in the Knicks' backcourt next season -- whether by veteran's minimum help, or from the June 27 NBA Draft, where they'll have the No. 24 pick.

And regardless of how his tenure ended, Kidd's brief time in New York should be seen as a success, simply because of the great value he gave the Knicks on his mid-level contract, as well as providing the franchise with supreme on-court leadership and talent that helped awaken a once-dormant and increasingly irrelevant franchise from it's decade-long malaise.

Kidds retirement doesn't really matter unless Camby retires too. I actually take it as a bad thing if its only him that's gone because he could have been like an assistant coach, and also to me his retirement is partially him saying the Knicks have no shot at a title so what's the point.

Does Camby have a twitter so we can all flame him til he's gone

Last edited:
stop getting on Camby

not his fault Woodson didn't play him in the playoffs >D

yall want Toney Douglas back? SMH @ all of you

Last edited:
Camby screams trade chip with his contract. Pair him, Felton, and Amare for fillers and CP3.

Last edited:
amare is impossible to trade but you guys dont believe it for some reason :lol: and theres no shot at any sign and trade because of being over the salary cap :smh:

Kidds retirement doesn't really matter unless Camby retires too. I actually take it as a bad thing if its only him that's gone because he could have been like an assistant coach, and also to me his retirement is partially him saying the Knicks have no shot at a title so what's the point.

Does Camby have a twitter so we can all flame him til he's gone
Ki

I agree with the Knicks having no shot. Kidd was a important part. He did do a lot for this team. One of the best to play the game.

Back
Top Bottom