and we're done

lol
:rofl:

And dude will get some sucker team to pay him $5-6 million a year. That second round bust won't affect anything.

Has that been confirmed? I thought he had agreed to stay already on condition his brother was signed to?

He was going to opt out regardless in order to sign a 5+mil multi year deal with us at the bare minimum. So he might as well see what offers are there for him in the open market even if he's 90% sure he's going to re-sign. Basically seeing if any team is stupid enough to throw him an offer he'd be stupid to refuse.

Between being on a team that can win a playoff series, offer him big minutes, allowing him to finish games even if he doesn't start, his connection with Melo, his relationship with Woodson, willingness to sign chris smith, growing up in NJ, and love for the ny limelight I'd be shocked to see him actually sign with another team, especially since his value dropped after his inability to summon 6MOTY JR in the Indy series.

Last edited:
I mean no one should be surprised he opted out.

Will he be back with the Knicks is the tricky question.

Last edited:
Report: Knicks want J.R. Smith back, but his brother Chris… not so much

Kurt Helin

May 27, 2013, 10:07 AM EDT

Last season Chris Smith — the brother of Sixth Man of the Year J.R. Smith — spent time with the Knicks D-League affiliate.

The Knicks may want to add a more athletic, explosive point guard this summer (even if they keep both Pablo Prigioni and Jason Kidd) and the Knicks certainly want to re-sign free agent J.R. Smith. So signing Chris Smith could help with both those things, at least in theory, right.

Not going to happen, reports Jared Zwerling at ESPNNewYork.com.

One source said Chris Smith, J.R.’s younger brother, will not be considered.

“Chris is not an NBA player — not even close,” the source said. “He will never play for them.”

Outside re-signing J.R. Smith, the Knicks will be limited in what they can do this summer with free agents, essentially able only to sign guys with the mini taxpayers midlevel exception (around $3.2 million, the league has not set the official figures yet) and bring in minimum guys.

(The Knicks have J.R. Smith’s early Bird rights, meaning they can offer a contract just above the league average salary, likely around $5.5 million, for at least two and as many as four years. If another team came over the top with a larger offer, the Knicks could not match. However, Smith has said he wants to stay a Knick and New York wants him back).

Chris Smith recently switched agents over to CAA, his brother’s firm. J.R. might like to have his brother on the team, and CAA might push it, but it sounds like that is not going to happen.

Chris, of course, doesn’t see it that way.

Chris Smith
@3_ChrisSmith

I will be back next season along with my big brother @TheRealJRSmith ... Will be a blessing to wear my Knicks uniform.. Prep for 2014 is now
12:50 AM - 19 May 2013

Oh boy. :rofl:

As part of his decision, Kidd has agreed to forgo the final two years of his contract, which means his $3.09 million salary will be removed from the Knicks’ cap figure

Kidd left his two years on the table and didn't ask for a buyout so his money will no longer count against the cap which means were not in luxury tax hell anymore and can now do sign and trades . Kidd still assisting and being a team player .

Last edited:
As part of his decision, Kidd has agreed to forgo the final two years of his contract, which means his $3.09 million salary will be removed from the Knicks’ cap figure

Kidd left his two years on the table and didn't ask for a buyout so his money will no longer count against the cap which means were not in luxury tax hell anymore and can now do sign and trades . Kidd still assisting and being a team player .
Source?

Props to him for letting the Knicks off the hook if true.

Back
Top Bottom