Another Animal Cruelty video: Turkey farm

man i'm still eating turkey tonight you got me %+$%@! up
laugh.gif

Make thread again after thanksgiving, my mom made 2 turkeys and they look delicious.

TrueshotAura wrote:
So what we're carnivores. Why don't we stop Lions from eating Zebras lol

I don't think anyone is saying not to eat turkeys.I didn't watch but if this is anything like the piglet video.Normal people don't dothese things to animals.It's not necessary to torture animals before they're killed.

dude... . did you HAVE to post this on thanksgiving?? good thing i didnt watch it. i couldn't stomach the piglet video last time.
That's the thing... we can't stomach the video - and yet we stomach the meat. I understand that people are less receptive to these typesof videos when it seems like it's being rubbed in your face during the holidays. Somehow, I can't imagine that too many people will suddenly commit toa vegan lifestyle within the hour BEFORE they sit down for Thanksgiving dinner. In terms of cognitive dissonance, it seems unlikely that people who'vealready invested pretty heavily - in emotional or even financial terms - in Thanksgiving will see a video like this and immediately reverse their position onthe turkey dinner that's already in the oven.

I can appreciate, too, that out of respect for others it's less than ideal to show someone a video of this nature right before or after people engage in agut distending feast.
At the same time, everyone should know where their food comes from - unless you're the sort who believes ignorance is bliss.

It gives you something to think about.

Humans are omnivores. That said, we don't have to be. Lions don't have much of a choice. We've reached the point in our development, however, where we do.

The point is simply to offer people that choice, which is so frequently presented as a 'non-choice.' Most turkeys aren't bludgeoned to death, butsome indeed are. The act of actually slaughtering the animal, however, does not represent the entirety of its suffering. If anyone's interested, here area couple of links offering information on the lives of turkeys in factory farms: http://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming_turkeys.asphttp://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming_turkeys.asp http://www.vegsoc.org/info/turkey.htmlhttp://www.vegsoc.org/info/turkey.html The first link has a couple of images that people may find a bitdisturbing. The second is just information, so it's a good one to look at if you're squeamish - though those with a vivid imagination and a welldeveloped sense of empathy will still likely find it troubling.

Personally, I just think everyone should be armed with as much information as possible and be given the opportunity to evaluate that information for themselvesin order to make a dietary and lifestyle decision that suits them, their ethical standards, and their family's well being. You're not stuck with thesocial default.

Many of us just sort of purchase pre-packed, processed meat products and block out all that goes into its production. The turkey on the table isn'ta turkey, a once sentient creature, it's just meat - a substance divorced of life and meaning. It's treated more or less as little more than textured, flavored protein that happens to be associated with an animal. We don't think about where itcomes from.

I grew up on fried chicken, I grew up on new york pizza, I grew up with Thanksgiving turkey. That's just the way it was. I cared about animals, but atthe end of the day you eat what's on the table, enjoy it, and never think twice about its origins. Many of us have mothers who would remind us, often,about how lucky we were to have food when so many people around the world die of hunger. I didn't see any real alternative. I never met a vegetarian inmy life. They were seen as tree hugging hippies, spoiled kids inventing problems. Who could take it seriously? As an athlete, you learn to rely on animalprotein. You need Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, which you get from fish, you've gotta get vitamin B12, which most people get from animal products, and so on. I always saw it as a necessary evil.

A year ago, I was eating turkey on Thanksgiving, too. What I've learned, though, is that there is another way -that I actually did have a choice in the matter. I can satisfy my nutritional needs now in a way that's actually healthier than my old omnivorous diet. I made the change and committed to no longer purchasing or ingesting any animal products.

I'm not gonna lie. Do I miss Popeyes? Hell yes I miss Popeyes - and I'll still argue with anyone who prefers KFC. Damn right I miss a jumbo slice ofcheese pizza. I miss fried fish.
I don't miss supporting businesses that harm and exploit animals. I don't miss having to forcibly keep myself ignorant and block out everything thatbrought meat and dairy to my table.

I just want everyone to feel as though they have that option. I'm not embarrassed to admit that I've made this change. Of everyone I know, of all myfriends, I'm the only guy who's done so.
So, I just wanted to put myself out there as an example and let people know that, if it's a choice you're considering, you CAN do it and feel free tosend me a PM if you want to discuss it.

I'll be happy to help if I can.

Why post this on major turkey day?!! i will not watch it... because i will cry and feel bad for eating it.... damn you....
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Method Man

dude... . did you HAVE to post this on thanksgiving?? good thing i didnt watch it. i couldn't stomach the piglet video last time.
That's the thing... we can't stomach the video - and yet we stomach the meat. I understand that people are less receptive to these types of videos when it seems like it's being rubbed in your face during the holidays. Somehow, I can't imagine that too many people will suddenly commit to a vegan lifestyle within the hour BEFORE they sit down for Thanksgiving dinner. In terms of cognitive dissonance, it seems unlikely that people who've already invested pretty heavily - in emotional or even financial terms - in Thanksgiving will see a video like this and immediately reverse their position on the turkey dinner that's already in the oven.

I can appreciate, too, that out of respect for others it's less than ideal to show someone a video of this nature right before or after people engage in a gut distending feast.
At the same time, everyone should know where their food comes from - unless you're the sort who believes ignorance is bliss.

It gives you something to think about.

Humans are omnivores. That said, we don't have to be. Lions don't have much of a choice. We've reached the point in our development, however, where we do.

The point is simply to offer people that choice, which is so frequently presented as a 'non-choice.' Most turkeys aren't bludgeoned to death, but some indeed are. The act of actually slaughtering the animal, however, does not represent the entirety of its suffering. If anyone's interested, here are a couple of links offering information on the lives of turkeys in factory farms: http://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming_turkeys.asphttp://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming_turkeys.asphttp://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming_turkeys.asp http://www.vegsoc.org/info/turkey.htmlhttp://www.vegsoc.org/info/turkey.htmlhttp://www.vegsoc.org/info/turkey.html The first link has a couple of images that people may find a bit disturbing. The second is just information, so it's a good one to look at if you're squeamish - though those with a vivid imagination and a well developed sense of empathy will still likely find it troubling.

Personally, I just think everyone should be armed with as much information as possible and be given the opportunity to evaluate that information for themselves in order to make a dietary and lifestyle decision that suits them, their ethical standards, and their family's well being. You're not stuck with the social default.

Many of us just sort of purchase pre-packed, processed meat products and block out all that goes into its production. The turkey on the table isn't a turkey, a once sentient creature, it's just meat - a substance divorced of life and meaning. It's treated more or less as little more than textured, flavored protein that happens to be associated with an animal. We don't think about where it comes from.

I grew up on fried chicken, I grew up on new york pizza, I grew up with Thanksgiving turkey. That's just the way it was. I cared about animals, but at the end of the day you eat what's on the table, enjoy it, and never think twice about its origins. Many of us have mothers who would remind us, often, about how lucky we were to have food when so many people around the world die of hunger. I didn't see any real alternative. I never met a vegetarian in my life. They were seen as tree hugging hippies, spoiled kids inventing problems. Who could take it seriously? As an athlete, you learn to rely on animal protein. You need Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, which you get from fish, you've gotta get vitamin B12, which most people get from animal products, and so on. I always saw it as a necessary evil.

A year ago, I was eating turkey on Thanksgiving, too. What I've learned, though, is that there is another way - that I actually did have a choice in the matter. I can satisfy my nutritional needs now in a way that's actually healthier than my old omnivorous diet. I made the change and committed to no longer purchasing or ingesting any animal products.

I'm not gonna lie. Do I miss Popeyes? Hell yes I miss Popeyes - and I'll still argue with anyone who prefers KFC. Damn right I miss a jumbo slice of cheese pizza. I miss fried fish.
I don't miss supporting businesses that harm and exploit animals. I don't miss having to forcibly keep myself ignorant and block out everything that brought meat and dairy to my table.

I just want everyone to feel as though they have that option. I'm not embarrassed to admit that I've made this change. Of everyone I know, of all my friends, I'm the only guy who's done so.
So, I just wanted to put myself out there as an example and let people know that, if it's a choice you're considering, you CAN do it and feel free to send me a PM if you want to discuss it.

I'll be happy to help if I can.

I've cut back on meat and dairy products tremendously over the years to the point the only meat I consume regularly is organic, free-rangechicken. I know the organic, free-range label can be a little deceptive since the FDA only requires that they have access to the open outdoors but doesn'tstate how long...but in my mind I like to assume the best. Ice cream is another weakness for me and I'm not sure I could give that up. One of the hardestthings, for me at least, is that it would just be too difficult to have to explain to friends and family that I no longer consume these foods. Especially wheneating certain types of foods plays a role in the relationship as silly as that might sound. For example, I have one particular longtime friend who now hashis own family and generally the only time we spend together is meeting up for lunch, dinner, or going to his parents home for a meal. We like to go tofamiliar places to get certain types of food which we have a bond for and meat is almost always involved. So in a way I feel like our relationship would beharmed.

Your better than me and I can definitely respect what you've done. Maybe one day I'll finally break down and commit fully.

I've cut back on meat and dairy products tremendously over the years to the point the only meat I consume regularly is organic, free-range chicken. I know the organic, free-range label can be a little deceptive since the FDA only requires that they have access to the open outdoors but doesn't state how long...but in my mind I like to assume the best. Ice cream is another weakness for me and I'm not sure I could give that up. One of the hardest things, for me at least, is that it would just be too difficult to have to explain to friends and family that I no longer consume these foods. Especially when eating certain types of foods plays a role in the relationship as silly as that might sound. For example, I have one particular longtime friend who now has his own family and generally the only time we spend together is meeting up for lunch, dinner, or going to his parents home for a meal. We like to go to familiar places to get certain types of food which we have a bond for and meat is almost always involved. So in a way I feel like our relationship would be harmed.

It's tough, there's no question about it. An animal-centric diet is just so normative in this society that we tend not to realize howintertwined it's become in our everyday lives - and that, of course, includes our relationships with friends, family, and colleagues. Relatively fewrestaurants offer vegetarian entrées. Unless you've scouted a place out beforehand, odds are you'll be stuck with a salad and, even then, you have tomake sure they aren't adding cheese or using diary products in the dressing etc. You don't want to be a "problem" for friends and familywhen you go out, but like it or not your diet will become a factor. (Abstaining from purchasing animal products - like leather goods - can be equallyfrustrating, if not more so. There's no "ingredients list" on a shoe box.)

I understand, too, that food becomes part of friendships etc. Somebody might have a favorite restaurant and, after you make this change, you find the onlything you can eat is a salad. You go there for their sake, but they enjoy it less because they know that, each time you go together, you'll have to settlefor a subpar salad with no dressing. Years ago, when I was an undergrad, around playoff time friends and I got into a routine where we'd hit the gym, playball, then pick up a pizza or some chicken and watch the game. Obviously had I made this decision earlier, it would've been an issue. It's definitelysomething you have to deal with and overcome. If you have good friends, they'll understand.

For me, the peer pressure / nonconformative aspect of it really hasn't been much of a change. I was at a party on election night, for example, and beingthe only one who wasn't eating pizza was no big deal - I was also the only person who wasn't drinking, and that's a decision I made very early onin life. Nobody ever gives me a hard time about it. Most people seem to understand why someone wouldn't want to drink alcohol or use drugs, but theydon't understand why someone wouldn't eat meat, dairy, eggs, etc. - especially if you're a guy. Theyrespect my decision, but at the same time people are often curious.

It is a choice you have to explain all the time. You can see that as a negative, a burden, an irritant, or you can look at it as a positive - that you'reregularly presented opportunities to show people another way of living. Like many people, I'm a firm believer in Mohandas Gandhi's maxim, "Youmust be the change you wish to see in this world." The impact that you, as an individual, can effect as a result of the elimination or even reduction ofanimal products from your diet is certainly respectable. You can be proud of that, if for no other reason than for your own health and the opportunity to livea lifestyle that's in better alignment with your ideals. If you look at it from an activist mindset, though, you want to try and positively influenceothers and you embrace networking opportunities in that regard - ways to influence someone who can, in turn, influence others and exponentially amplify thedesired change.

People mock or fear what they don't understand. My family, by and large, didn't understand or agree with my decision at first, but after I patientlyaddressed their misconceptions regarding the health and nutrition of a true vegetarian diet their fears dissipated and they've come to accept it. It tooksome time, but everyone got over the "shock" and I haven't lost any friends or family as a result. Ultimately, though, I'm the type ofperson who holds firm to his beliefs and is willing to accept any losses that result. There are some invitations I won't get due to this - and that'sfine with me. At the end of the day, if it ever came down to it, I'd rather be myself by myself than disguisemyself as another to enjoy the company of others.

More often than not, though, I think you'll find that the sort of people you'd want to associate yourself with will be understanding and you can find asolution that fits your life and theirs.

Your better than me and I can definitely respect what you've done. Maybe one day I'll finally break down and commit fully.
There's a quote from Jesse Jackson I like to keep in mind: "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up." As Imentioned, at this time last year I was still eating turkey, still using whey protein, still making the occasional visit to Five Guys, Popeyes, and the localpizza joint. Personally, I try not to half-step, so when I made the commitment I wanted to go all the way with it - but every change people make in thisregard has to be considered a net positive and, having gone through it now, I respect those sacrifices all the more. Don't think of it as breaking down -think of it as building up. We're all in the process of bettering ourselves one step at a time.

Reducing your intake of animal products is admirable and I commend you for it.

I wish more people would follow suit.

I tried the whole vegetarian thing for a whole 2 1/2 weeks, and one of the reasons I stopped was I saw the futility of the whole pursuit-of-absolute-puritything.

Ultimately, we're all drawing a line somewhere. It's pretty much impossible to live a life that doesn't contribute to animal deaths in some way. Imight say, I don't feel comfortable eating animal flesh or wearing leather or fur, but I'm willing to support the slaughter of animals indirectly by,for instance, eating plants that were grown with fertilizer that was purchased from a farm that kills animals. You might say, I feel comfortable eatinganimals, but I draw the line at stomping on turkey heads for recreation.

In my mind, tempting through it may be, you can't view this stuff in the black and white and nothing in between. It's all gray, and you do what youcan.

any of you watch some of those videos of people from other countries killing 1 or 2 animals in their backyard to put food on the table? when you scroll down tothe comments you find racist comments. im going to guess from ignorant americans (the way they type in english and stuff you can tell... or they might beeuropean). then you see a video like this... from america of animals living in %#+*%+ up @+# conditions. sucks to see that some animals are brought into thisworld only to satisfy the twisted minds of humans.

dont get me wrong. i eat meat and videos like these wont turn me into a vegetarian or anything. but i get really upset seeing people like these in the videothat have no respect and appreciation. in this case for farm animals. they seriously need to seek some help.

I tried the whole vegetarian thing for a whole 2 1/2 weeks, and one of the reasons I stopped was I saw the futility of the whole pursuit-of-absolute-purity thing. Ultimately, we're all drawing a line somewhere. It's pretty much impossible to live a life that doesn't contribute to animal deaths in some way. I might say, I don't feel comfortable eating animal flesh or wearing leather or fur, but I'm willing to support the slaughter of animals indirectly by, for instance, eating plants that were grown with fertilizer that was purchased from a farm that kills animals.
You can take just about anything to its illogical extreme. I've yet to meet the person who values life to the point where they won't washtheir hands for fear of killing bacteria. If you pay your taxes, you're subsidizing factory farms, war, etc.
That doesn't mean we should indulge in nihilism and proceed as though valuing life is pointless. The point is to be conscious of those choices and makethem for yourself rather than simply going with the flow.

I don't see vegetarianism as an attempt at "absolute purity," though of course there are some "holier than thou" individuals who mightportray it as such. It's a constructive lifestyle choice undertaken for a wide variety of reasons.

We'll never have "perfect" bodies, but we still believe in exercise, nutrition, and health care. We'll never have "perfect" minds,but we still believe in education. We'll never have "perfect" relationships, but we still work tirelessly and sacrifice to do the best we canfor those we care about.

There's a lot we can do, realistically, to make a difference. Every lifestyle choice we make reflects our values.
There's always room to improve, that's the nature of our existence, but there's meaning and nobility inthe struggle, in constantly reevaluating, refining, and reforming our actions, beliefs, and behavior to bring us in closer alignment with what we feel isright.

Where we cannot achieve perfection, we can always achieve progress.

Originally Posted by TrueshotAura

ever heard of the food chain??? lions dont kill zebras for some sick pleasure. they do it to eat. have you ever seen videos of lions clawing the $$#% outtazebras, biting off their limbs and just walking away?

eh...I'm not going to be eating rabbit food for the rest of my life. I needs some meat. But to those who do it, hats off to you.

Back
Top Bottom