Another Snowstorm Vol: NYC/LI

Still makes no sense to me because my son goes to a public school in Yonkers literally feet away from the Bronx and they let us know last night before a snowflake hit that school was closed. You said it at the end, the reason why NYC schools are open is solely for financial reason not safety.

Yonkers isn't in NYC jurisdiction. They're funding doesn't come from the state like NYC public schools.

Understandable but you originally said the state determines if public school stay open. So the state determines if NYC schools stay open but not upstate, yonkers, and westchester areas?

Cuomo just issued a state of emergency a few minutes ago for NYC

I know out here on LI (suffolk) if the school buses do not run. The school will be closed.

Understandable but you originally said the state determines if public school stay open. So the state determines if NYC schools stay open but not upstate, yonkers, and westchester areas?

That is correct. The state of NY determines if schools stay open or closed for NYC public schools ONLY. The reason for this is because, schools need to stay open an "X" amount of days for them to be eligible to get state funded aid. If the school doesn't stay open for "X" number of days, they lose out on money.

The reason why public schools in counties outside of NYC aren't dependent on state-aid is because the taxes in those areas compensate for this. This is why taxes in Westchester or out in Long Island are much more higher than in NYC. i.g. Long Island property tax is around $7-15k depending on where you live. NYC property tax is around $3.5k.

At the end of the day, the bottom line is about money.

Last edited:
I would gladly donate 30 degrees to you guys from Los Angeles. 85 here today
sick.gif

That is correct. The state of NY determines if schools stay open or closed for NYC public schools ONLY. The reason for this is because, schools need to stay open an "X" amount of days for them to be eligible to get state funded aid. If the school doesn't stay open for "X" number of days, they lose out on money.

The reason why public schools in counties outside of NYC aren't dependent on state-aid is because the taxes in those areas compensate for this. This is why taxes in Westchester or out in Long Island are much more higher than in NYC. i.g. Long Island property tax is around $7-15k depending on where you live. NYC property tax is around $3.5k.

At the end of the day, the bottom line is about money.

heres the thing about NYC schools. they get money for the amount of kids in school so if theres only 50% showing up, they lost half the money already. i guess losing half is better than all in this case.

How'd everyone make out? We got about 13" maybe 15" here in MD (about 40 mins northeast of Baltimore City in the I95 corridor). I'm lucky enough to be able to work remote from home. I had to wait for servers to update so I went out & shoveled early this morning while the snow was fluffy. Got my sidewalks done, our 2 cars dug out completely, & my deck cleaned off. Also dig out a pathway for my pooch. I'm ready for all east 40 degree temps & no snow/ice/sleet. I have a feeling this summer is going to be Hades...

How'd everyone make out? We got about 13" maybe 15" here in MD (about 40 mins northeast of Baltimore City in the I95 corridor). I'm lucky enough to be able to work remote from home. I had to wait for servers to update so I went out & shoveled early this morning while the snow was fluffy. Got my sidewalks done, our 2 cars dug out completely, & my deck cleaned off. Also dig out a pathway for my pooch. I'm ready for all east 40 degree temps & no snow/ice/sleet. I have a feeling this summer is going to be Hades...
Most of the snow is washing away at least in Midtown by my job. It's above freezing temperatures.

And that's a damn shame with the pregnant woman. Awful, awful story. The only good out of this is that they were able to save the child.

And de Blasio is truly a stupid man. He's catching a lot of heat for how he's handled this Winter and it's all been warranted especially after today.

Last edited:
Damb y'all getting pooped on :x

Minnesota has just been cold, thankfully! I think were done with snow til next winter.

California is cool I lived there all my life and moved to MN about 6-7 years ago.. Still prefer the Minnesota weather personally I love the cold and snow.. Unless it's 12-13 inches and I can't go no where :lol: most snow is plowed pretty fast here so I ain't eem mad

Last edited:
I bought snow boots (Sorel) just in time for yesterdays storm (lived in the tri-state all my life so don't ask me why I haven't purchased snow boots earlier)

Walkin through the snow and puddles like a boss.

Makes my timbs look like little kids in the snow, these Sorel's are grown man boots.

Two days in a row these dudes ring my doorbell at 7am asking if i want my snow shoveled :x .

Too damb early

I ain't shoveling 2 days in a row.

I saw an article that said another reason NY schools were open was so kids could eat a meal. Wth? These kids don't get fed at home? The article referenced it but didn't go into detail.

Last edited:
Trying to get that money :smokin

Gotta beat people to it before they get out to do it themselfs and ready for work.

im not knocking the hustle but they rang my bell like 5 times :rofl: im sleepin b

I ain't shoveling 2 days in a row.

I saw an article that said another reason NY schools were open was so kids could eat a meal. Wth? These kids don't get fed at home? The article referenced it but didn't go into detail.

My mom mentioned this to me, some of these kids come from poor homes and rely on eating breakfast/lunch in school.

county has yet to plow the street yet...**** them and **** who ever invented the cup de sac

Not everyone is as privileged as you are. 
eyes.gif

^
I ain't privileged. Having food doesn't have anything to do with being privileged. If some of the kids qualify for free lunches then maybe they get some assistance for food as well.

Last edited:
Some kids don't get fed regularly at home. I volunteered for 14 years in Baltimore city working with youth (among other programs). One of the things the programs I worked for was to provide meals for kids. It's pretty heartbreaking. You be surprised how many kids don't get meals regularly at home for whatever reason.

We got another 7" of snow last night. Had to shovel all over again. Expecting another 1-5" of snow again over night. It's super sunny out this morning.

Back
Top Bottom