Any Golfers on NT?

Kobetwo/Prostaffer,

Thoughts on new shafts out this year?

I'm playing the Vr Pro 3 wood with a PX 6.0... looking to upgrade :nerd: :nerd:

depends. what are you trying to accomplish and what is your budget??? i can give you 20 different shafts that are completely useless to you. tell me what youre trying to accomplish and what your budget is?

Kobetwo/Prostaffer,

I have had a chance to hit quite a few shafts this year. Went with the Project X PXV in my Cover driver. I have never had success with lightweight shafts, but this one is the truth.

For 3 woods there are a ton of great options. The RIP NV from last year is great in 70 grams as is the VTS range from UST. The VTS line comes in a lot of different flights based on the color code, (red,silver,black).

What are you looking for in your new shaft that you didn't like in the Project X 6.0?

Mid to High ball flight and low spin and good roll out.... basically the holy trinity. I'm gonna check out the RIP NV, see if I can get that for the low

Kobetwo/Prostaffer,

depends. what are you trying to accomplish and what is your budget??? i can give you 20 different shafts that are completely useless to you. tell me what youre trying to accomplish and what your budget is?

Kobe, The Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ you suggested off of eBay for $70 for me last year turned my driving 180 degrees. :pimp: :pimp:

I like my current 3 wood off the tee, I struggle getting it up off the turf (as many do.) I'm also not certain that I want or need the adjustable hosel on my 3 wood...maybe I will pick up a new head. :evil:

Rocketballz-ier :nerd:

Last edited:
Kobetwo/Prostaffer,

I have had a chance to hit quite a few shafts this year. Went with the Project X PXV in my Cover driver. I have never had success with lightweight shafts, but this one is the truth.

For 3 woods there are a ton of great options. The RIP NV from last year is great in 70 grams as is the VTS range from UST. The VTS line comes in a lot of different flights based on the color code, (red,silver,black).

What are you looking for in your new shaft that you didn't like in the Project X 6.0?

Mid to High ball flight and low spin and good roll out.... basically the holy trinity. I'm gonna check out the RIP NV, see if I can get that for the low

Kobetwo/Prostaffer,

Kobe, The Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ you suggested off of eBay for $70 for me last year turned my driving 180 degrees. :pimp: :pimp:

I like my current 3 wood off the tee, I struggle getting it up off the turf (as many do.) I'm also not certain that I want or need the adjustable hosel on my 3 wood...maybe I will pick up a new head. :evil:

Rocketballz-ier :nerd:

truthfully. i would buy a new 3 wood... its not that vr pro isnt a bad 3 wood. its just the work to remove the shaft is a pain in the ***. the ferrule on the adapter is so huge and its pretty expensive to replace that specific ferrule. if you really want to swap, you should look into the ust vts red (maaaaaaybe silver) in the weight of your choice. maybe something older would be a ust axivcore black. however, my personal opinion would be to go old school. mitsubishi rayon blueboard 83... i think the blueboard is the perfect fairway shaft

Get a Mizuno MP-650 3 wood head. Still have mine in the bag from last year. Love the way it looks and how the face sits open, plus none of that adjustable/huge hosel crap. Plus it absolutely launches the ball. Get around 260+ off the tee.

oh and the covert experiment isnt really over... i just got a graphite design ad dj shaft for it hahahahaha

Also the stock shaft that came with the MP-650 is similar imo to the blueboard, a little bit higher launching and I would like it to be 83g instead of 73(maybe it's 75g?). Still works great for a stock shaft.

truthfully. i would buy a new 3 wood... its not that vr pro isnt a bad 3 wood. its just the work to remove the shaft is a pain in the ***. the ferrule on the adapter is so huge and its pretty expensive to replace that specific ferrule. if you really want to swap, you should look into the ust vts red (maaaaaaybe silver) in the weight of your choice. maybe something older would be a ust axivcore black. however, my personal opinion would be to go old school. mitsubishi rayon blueboard 83... i think the blueboard is the perfect fairway shaft

The adapter on the vr pro is actually very easy. I do them myself and any club maker that has done it before can do it. It's not as easy as others, but definitely doable. You can PM me if you want tips or instructions.

A version of the higher launching VTS comes in the Wilson line of woods, but they do sit differently from the Nike.

I agree with Kobe, it sounds like a new three wood might be best for you, or you can search eBay for some old shafts that already have the adapter on them. You can grab those dirt cheap.

oh and the covert experiment isnt really over... i just got a graphite design ad dj shaft for it hahahahaha

new possibilities for the covert project....

how often do ya'll switch clubs? have had my irons for 14 years now but from the last few pages seeing everyone talking about shafts and new clubs it seems I'm in the minority (I'm a <80 golfer but I play under 10 rounds a year lately)

I work quickly as well :lol:

I just got back from Golfsmith.

I hit everything new Covert ~weak~ g25~nice~ Stage 2 ~sick~ XHot ~disgusting~ and used( TP RBZ, 910F, 910FD)

Came down to the TP RBZ and the Xhot.

Like I told you I struggled with hitting it off the fairway, so thats all i hit with all the clubs. Avg. 240 with this thing.... long being 260 :wow:

Golfsmith said that Callaway is doing something special 32 days of a trial, if you don't like it full refund back to your card(apparently they usually offer store credit)

70$ worth of GCs and the St Pattys day $50 disco and I walked out the door with this and some e6 balls for $144. :pimp: :pimp:

Give this thing 2-3 solid rounds very soon.

Last edited:
Got in 9 holes today at my local course, wasn't to bad, played horribly and still managed a 6 over 42. Got yelled at by an old guy, I was putting on an elevated green and he claimed I sat by bag on the green itself even though he had no way of seeing this since he was back in the fairway. Thoroughly enjoyed waiting for him to get up to the green to make sure he could realize how much of a fool he was.

Hit the range before and the only stall open was right next to the head pro giving lessons. There was a kid probably HS age with his dad getting lessons, his dad was talking him up about how his son is going to try to qualify for the US Open. Head pro just kept on saying "yeah", all I could do was chuckle a little bit. Kid was trying to hit a flag that was at 148, and was all over the place. He finally got one about 25 ft away and the dad said something along the lines of "that's how we do it". Meanwhile I step up after warming up and first shot with a 9 iron stick it to within 10 ft. Kids dad toned it down after that. That felt as good as my first birdie.

so after all that madness in the last 2 pages and the last couple of weeks.... i can give you a comprehensive review of the 2013 drivers....

i can't speak of the callaway drivers and frankly theyre not really worth my time (maybe the rf extreme but idgaf about it)...

titleist drivers??? yeah theres always the 915.... not worth writing about....

the 6 main drivers i'm going to talk about....

my 2011-2012 winner: taylormade rbz non-tour

nike covert performance (silver face)
nike covert tour (black face)
taylormade r1 version 1 (retail)
taylormade r1 version 2 (tour)
taylormade rbz stage 2 non-tour

all the 2013 drivers were played with multiple shafts....
ust mamiya vts red 6sx (tour spx)
ust mamiya attas 6x (tour spx)
ust mamiya attas elements 6 fire stiff (tipped 1" - tour spx)
graphite design ad dj 6s (tipped 1")
oban kiyoshi white 65x

you can ask for specifics but a the end of the day, theyre all AMAZING drivers... they have amazing ball speeds and low spin....

essentially the r1 v1 and the covert performance are the same heads in terms of spin rates
the covert tour is THE LOWEST spin of all the heads
the r1 v2 spun actually more than the v1 and is probably the best mix / overall performance but considering the price tag (~$1k), it's overkill

- if you want a driver that goes left CONSISTENTLY... get the covert performance. the club sits closed (even if you set it to right) and its draw bias
- if you want a driver thats neutral with a slight draw... get the covert tour. the club sits a shade neutral (even if set to right) and is still draw biased
- if you want a driver thats neutral and can be slight draw or fade... get the r1. it'll sit however you want. and if you change the weights (heel 1g, toe 2g). it'll go either way. if you use the stock weights or anything else... joker's wild
- if you want a driver that goes right consistently... get the rbz stage 2. it sits pretty open even at standard. you really have to rip at it hard to get it to make a slight left turn. if you put something like the kiyoshi white into it.... IT WILL NOT GO LEFT.... myself, my club guy and some guy who rocks 110 swingspeed cant get this thing to turn left... this thing hates the left side....

if you need more details. just ask and i'll try to get to them.

I definitely need a draw bias club.  I've made a ton of improvement on my drives fading however.

Still sticking with my RBZ Tour with AD DI6 Stiff. The club is a monster when you put a hit on it.

- if you want a driver that goes left CONSISTENTLY... get the covert performance. the club sits closed (even if you set it to right) and its draw bias
- if you want a driver thats neutral with a slight draw... get the covert tour. the club sits a shade neutral (even if set to right) and is still draw biased

Funny you say that. I play the Covert Tour, and have never hit a more consistent fade with a club before in my life. Granted, it's very early in my season, so my swing is not where it should be, but I don't believe it to have a slight draw at all.

And I just read a review of both models on WRX, and according to them, the Performance model sits fairly square at the neutral setting. Also, they said the Tour model sits 1.5 degrees open at the neutral setting, so when placed in the "right" setting, it is actually 3 degrees open.

I know you know you're stuff when it comes to clubs, especially drivers and shafts, so maybe you're swing was just a little off that day with the Covert Tour? Maybe the guys at GolfWRX are wrong? I would assume they're just repeating what Nike tells them, so I'm actually more inclined to believe you than them!

Back
Top Bottom