Any Golfers on NT?

Funny you say that. I play the Covert Tour, and have never hit a more consistent fade with a club before in my life. Granted, it's very early in my season, so my swing is not where it should be, but I don't believe it to have a slight draw at all.

And I just read a review of both models on WRX, and according to them, the Performance model sits fairly square at the neutral setting. Also, they said the Tour model sits 1.5 degrees open at the neutral setting, so when placed in the "right" setting, it is actually 3 degrees open.

I know you know you're stuff when it comes to clubs, especially drivers and shafts, so maybe you're swing was just a little off that day with the Covert Tour? Maybe the guys at GolfWRX are wrong? I would assume they're just repeating what Nike tells them, so I'm actually more inclined to believe you than them!

To me it is different for everyone. For example by 3 wood (Mizuno MP-650) has a pretty damn open face I can turn it over and hit slight draws. But that is my natural ball flight. Nobodys swing is the same.

I can say that I haven't seen either head of the covert to gear towards a draw or a fade. Really depends on the player.

My friend works at PGATSS and he says that covert it their #2 selling driver. Number one is the X Hot actually. I'm playing the Covert Tour with a PXv in it and love the thing. Best thing since my Wilson DXi. The Wilson came from the factory 2* closed actually.

With the ability of the covert to adjust the loft I was able to get pretty much perfect results. I just went with the tour head because it felt better.

Now to pick out my woods and hybrids for the year. Re-shafting my irons with a set of PXi shafts I just got. It has been years since I was in project X and can't wait to be back.

- if you want a driver that goes left CONSISTENTLY... get the covert performance. the club sits closed (even if you set it to right) and its draw bias
- if you want a driver thats neutral with a slight draw... get the covert tour. the club sits a shade neutral (even if set to right) and is still draw biased

Funny you say that. I play the Covert Tour, and have never hit a more consistent fade with a club before in my life. Granted, it's very early in my season, so my swing is not where it should be, but I don't believe it to have a slight draw at all.

And I just read a review of both models on WRX, and according to them, the Performance model sits fairly square at the neutral setting. Also, they said the Tour model sits 1.5 degrees open at the neutral setting, so when placed in the "right" setting, it is actually 3 degrees open.

I know you know you're stuff when it comes to clubs, especially drivers and shafts, so maybe you're swing was just a little off that day with the Covert Tour? Maybe the guys at GolfWRX are wrong? I would assume they're just repeating what Nike tells them, so I'm actually more inclined to believe you than them!

you're free to believe whatever you want. and there may very well be coverts / covert tours that are indeed open. i'm just simply relaying my thoughts and experiences with the driver. your experiences may very well differ from mine. just like how a shaft can be designated as low launch / low spin, there are a ton more factors that can completely blow out the intent and design of a product. i can assure you several things though.

1. my covert and tour were lofted with a mitchell loft and lie driver machine. in the right setting they sat 1* / 0.5* closed respectively. i "bought" my driver at the biggest golf shop in the oc / la area and i went through about 25 drivers each to find the most open one. yeah i'm willing to kill an hour to find the most open one.

2. my swing was definitely not off in anyway whatsoever. my rbz is pretty much as automatic as any driver can possibly be. and to ensure it wasnt my swing. i had my club guy hit with me and his drives had similar results as i did. and to further assure my tendencies with the nike. an lpga touring pro just happened to be with my club guy before she was heading down to the kia classic and she definitely found the nike to like the left side.

3. the covert tour definitely had the fastest ball speeds and the lowest spin.

the only anomaly that i've found was i got insane launch angle with the covert tour despite having the same loft as the performance. either way as much as i wanted to play an all nike bag this year... my driver game wont be bearing the swoosh.

edit: btw. golfwrx is full of a bunch of idiots now.... either anyone worth getting knowledge is on payroll of some brand. or there are a bunch of people who have super deep pockets with tragic swings.... golfwrx is only good for 2 things. buying and selling stuff and seeing new stuff thats about to come out.

Last edited:
please disregard that p.o.s. they call a shaft in the head...

got a 2g weight in the mail today and traded out the covert for the r1.... just got to wait for a few shipments tomorrow (shaft and stage 2 sleeves) and i'll have a new toy to act a fool with

btw.... this war paint / racing stripe is dumb as all hell....

Are you getting all these drivers at cost or retail?

I'm jealous.

Cant believe TM put a racing stipe on a driver SMH...saw a few guys have sent to Continental Golf or sprayed flat black themselves, they look nice.

I do like the color on the Coverts and Cobra Amp Cell.

Probably get a covert 3 or 5 wood when they drop to $99 next year. Getting married in 3 months no more golf equipment purchases for a while :frown:

EXACTLY why I said I'm inclined to believe you more than GolfWRX!!

You're post blows my mind. I've always known that there was a variance in face angles. But the fact that you measured yours at .5* closed in the right setting, and Nike claims it should be 3* OPEN, is nuts to me. I would never think that these big name companies would be putting out clubs that can be off by over 3*. Makes you realize just how much different equipment the pros really play with.

Then it makes me think, clearly Nike produced your driver with over 3* of bias towards the closed setting. What's to say that they didn't produce a driver with that same variance, but the other direction? Hypothetically, there is a Covert Tour driver out that their that sits over 6* open when it the right setting! That's crazy to me. Guess I'm even more of a novice than I thought when it comes to clubs!

Thanks for the insight as always man. Good luck with that R1, like airblaster, I couldn't get past those graphics.

PXv with the tour head was giving me some amazing numbers pre injury, all this extra time gave me the opportunity to acquire a Miyazaki blue which is one of my fav shafts.

For these numbers with the performance head. Threw a tour head in for a little and it was definitely farther. I'm just happy as these were my first full driver swings since tearing my ACL a month and a half ago.

Damn you are in the 70s? Thats pretty good man. I have been golfing for 12 years, and changed irons once. I am consistently in the high 80s, if that matters.

Was scratch in hs when I got these irons, played junior golf tournaments and all that but got a bit burned out. Getting hyped to play some this summer if I can find some buddies that are decent.

PXv with the tour head was giving me some amazing numbers pre injury, all this extra time gave me the opportunity to acquire a Miyazaki blue which is one of my fav shafts.

For these numbers with the performance head. Threw a tour head in for a little and it was definitely farther. I'm just happy as these were my first full driver swings since tearing my ACL a month and a half ago.

That PXv is a monster bro...

Here are the numbers I couldn't upload earlier. These were with the performance head. I tried the tour head later, but only for a few swings as I had to get in and out.

My leg is almost back, but I had no issues or pain thankfully.

I still think the PXv will be the winner in this contest.

EXACTLY why I said I'm inclined to believe you more than GolfWRX!!

You're post blows my mind. I've always known that there was a variance in face angles. But the fact that you measured yours at .5* closed in the right setting, and Nike claims it should be 3* OPEN, is nuts to me. I would never think that these big name companies would be putting out clubs that can be off by over 3*. Makes you realize just how much different equipment the pros really play with.

Then it makes me think, clearly Nike produced your driver with over 3* of bias towards the closed setting. What's to say that they didn't produce a driver with that same variance, but the other direction? Hypothetically, there is a Covert Tour driver out that their that sits over 6* open when it the right setting! That's crazy to me. Guess I'm even more of a novice than I thought when it comes to clubs!

Thanks for the insight as always man. Good luck with that R1, like airblaster, I couldn't get past those graphics.

naw dude. i'm just simply relaying information my clubfitter provides to me. i just get picky with my clubs so whenever i get a driver / fairway... i ask him to throw it onto the machine and have him measure it.... you're absolutely right with the option of 6* open on the right setting. somewhere in the world one exists. but yeah, i just learn a lot when im at my clubfitters place. even if i dont get any work done on my clubs, i watch him fit people and try to understand what he's talking about and what he's trying to accomplish. you can learn a hell of a lot just watching.

r1 retail (version 1) is the truth!!!!

granted you have to reduce the weights on the head... but this thing is legit for me! gamer!!!!

next up the #ier fairways....

Last edited:
Going Friday to get fit for irons and possibly woods as well... New found friend is a Ping rep and fitter so he is going to hook me and my uncle and dad up with new clubs at cost... League starts the 16th

Edit: After the fitting I was shocked that there wasnt much of a difference between the i20 and g25's... $55 per club is not a bad thing either

Last edited:
I finally found an up to date golf thread 
laugh.gif

I haven't gotten out on a course in awhile, but I get free unlimited up in philly. As of late I've just been getting used to it again at the local range.

Using some 2011 Taylor Made irons, and all my woods are callaway big bertha. They are a few years old, my latest club purchase was a new 7 wood from Callaway. The differences between that and the older big berthas are crazy. I may have to buy the set.

I hope to get to the course soon.

^ im fiendin to play. been trapped at work for tax season and havent swung a club since december. just got a new set of irons off ebay yesterday and theyre just leaning against the wall in my office tormenting me. can. not. wait.

The good thing about living in SoCal is that I can play all year, unfortunately I still suck. Shot 95 today in the worst wind that I've played in.

Damn, I couldn't handle the torture. I'd say f taxes :lol:

The good thing about living in SoCal is that I can play all year, unfortunately I still suck. Shot 95 today in the worst wind that I've played in.

When I first started out all I wanted to do was get on the course. My grandfather is a golf pro so I get unlimited free games when I ride up there. So it was no problem for me f'ing up the course. But as I realized I kept loosing balls in the woods and water I slowed down and took it to the range.

Grab a club that suits your height. Mine was the 5 wood. Do nothing but use that club and get a good swing down. I had another pro give me some tips and help my posture. He told me to keep the back straight, knees bent, legs separated with the club directly in between, and to keep my eyes on the damn ball :lol: everytime I slipped up he would shout out. And it got me to keep my posture.

But back to the 5 wood thing.after I got my posture down, I kept up with that 5 wood. And once I went from hitting the ball 50 yards to about 100+ yards I moved down. 7 wood(favorite club), then to the hybrid (great clubs, handling of an iron, power of a wood) then I moved to the irons. 5, 6, 7(favorite iron), 8, 9.

I saved the pitching and sand wedges for last and went back to woods. I had a little trouble with the 3 wood, seeing it was longer than I was used to, but once I got that down I went to the drivers. I was still buying clubs at that point so I was testing out a bunch of different drivers from inside the golf club. Which ones are lighter, which ones can I hit the farthest, which one am I more accurate with? I eventually settled with two drivers. One call away big Bertha with a small head, and a Great big Bertha oversized head.

Then I moved on from the range portion of the club and hit the putting greens. I set up balls at random areas around the green, and I pitched them onto the green, then put. (I'm still terrible at putting, I have 3 different types of putter and none of them work for me)

It really helped me get better at the game. It shows that you shouldn't rush to hit the course, but the range is where it's at. The course teaches you more on curving and traps.

Either way, I hope I helped. Maybe we can get a good old 18 hole NT golf summit one day :nerd:

For the most part I know what I'm doing with my swing. I usually play bogey golf with a couple of pars and a few doubles, but when I mess on on a hole, I REALLY mess up. I know I need to work on my game around the green (chipping and greenside bunkers) in order to start cutting strokes down.

My game from tee to green and around the green is very manageable... Once I get on the green, its a joke... I suck at putting... Very mental right now... Hoping for better results this year

About to hit some wiffs out in e backyard with my great grandfathers clubs. You can never truely appreciate today's clubs until you play a few holes with some woods with actual wood, and irons that weigh 10 pounds :lol:

Back
Top Bottom