Any nurses out there? vol. Male nurse

Like most people, I've hit that "What do I want to do with my life?" stage and I've seriously been thinking about nursing. Any nurses out there with any insight and stories for someone thinking about going to school and entering the profession?

Mainly, I'm wondering why people get started in nursing (wanting to help people, money, it just happened, etc.), what is the experience like out in the real world (pros/cons), and if you could do it over would you still be a nurse?

Thanks in advance.

Like most people, I've hit that "What do I want to do with my life?" stage and I've seriously been thinking about nursing. Any nurses out there with any insight and stories for someone thinking about going to school and entering the profession?

Mainly, I'm wondering why people get started in nursing (wanting to help people, money, it just happened, etc.), what is the experience like out in the real world (pros/cons), and if you could do it over would you still be a nurse?

Thanks in advance.

i know a lot of nurses..........

a lot of ppl do it for the money................job is stressful an comes with a lot of responsibility and BS.

go for it if you really wanna care for ppl, not punch in punch out...........that ($# irks me

i know a lot of nurses..........

a lot of ppl do it for the money................job is stressful an comes with a lot of responsibility and BS.

go for it if you really wanna care for ppl, not punch in punch out...........that ($# irks me

Depending what state your in: it's a very full field. One of my friends is in her 4th year at CSULA (which has one of the best and most competitive nursing programs) and she's still not in it, she currently has a 4.0 GPA. I'm currently doing my pre-reqs, just to get into the program, I have a good chance of getting in but you never know.

If you're not too discouraged, once your down with the stress and the exam, you're pretty much set to work. Unfortunately, in California, we have had job cuts so although the demand for nurses is higher, the money to fund those nurses are not. My cousin who graduated from the Nursing program at San Diego, just got a job after a year and half of waiting for somebody to hire her. She's a Registered Nurse.

If you're lucky, I would go ahead and get my BS in Nursing and then go back to school so that you can work your way into being an RN in an office environment or you could teach a class of people in the nursing program. Don't limit yourself to just hospital work.

Depending what state your in: it's a very full field. One of my friends is in her 4th year at CSULA (which has one of the best and most competitive nursing programs) and she's still not in it, she currently has a 4.0 GPA. I'm currently doing my pre-reqs, just to get into the program, I have a good chance of getting in but you never know.

If you're not too discouraged, once your down with the stress and the exam, you're pretty much set to work. Unfortunately, in California, we have had job cuts so although the demand for nurses is higher, the money to fund those nurses are not. My cousin who graduated from the Nursing program at San Diego, just got a job after a year and half of waiting for somebody to hire her. She's a Registered Nurse.

If you're lucky, I would go ahead and get my BS in Nursing and then go back to school so that you can work your way into being an RN in an office environment or you could teach a class of people in the nursing program. Don't limit yourself to just hospital work.

i got some filipinos who are RN and LPN.... their schedule is wack..missing out a lot on weekends , holidays.. of course the pay is good cos you talk about lives here..also i knew some fresh grads who cant get a job right away cos of the economy... ..with them putting to much effort and having no sleep at all i got discouraged..took the computer networking path..good pay no stress.. life is good.

i got some filipinos who are RN and LPN.... their schedule is wack..missing out a lot on weekends , holidays.. of course the pay is good cos you talk about lives here..also i knew some fresh grads who cant get a job right away cos of the economy... ..with them putting to much effort and having no sleep at all i got discouraged..took the computer networking path..good pay no stress.. life is good.

nursin is gettin oversaturated too......least in my state.........a lot of chicks be tryna get into that.......high paying blue collar job for women..........a lot of minority chicks be strivin /doin it.

nursin is gettin oversaturated too......least in my state.........a lot of chicks be tryna get into that.......high paying blue collar job for women..........a lot of minority chicks be strivin /doin it.

Thanks for the responses.

Al- I most definitely want to get into it for the care and patient interaction aspect. That's one of the main reasons that I was seriously looking into nursing over the MD route. I've volunteered and shadowed and from my experiences, as well as many of the professionals themselves, the consensus is that nurses treat people and doctors treat disease. I am a bit worried about the oversaturated aspect of nursing as I've heard of many people having to wait a considerable amount of time while student loans are coming on and also people having to take nurse aide positions first, and waiting to move up when a position opens up.

served- Thanks for the input on the schedule part of it, I wasn't really thinking about that too much. But that's definitely a consideration.

Sole- Thanks for the information about California. It's kind of sad how our economy is in shambles and even though there's a shortage, there just isn't money there to hire people. I was hearing about how nurses on the floors would be taking care of 2-3 times more people than is comfortable and ending up burnt out.

Thanks for the responses.

Al- I most definitely want to get into it for the care and patient interaction aspect. That's one of the main reasons that I was seriously looking into nursing over the MD route. I've volunteered and shadowed and from my experiences, as well as many of the professionals themselves, the consensus is that nurses treat people and doctors treat disease. I am a bit worried about the oversaturated aspect of nursing as I've heard of many people having to wait a considerable amount of time while student loans are coming on and also people having to take nurse aide positions first, and waiting to move up when a position opens up.

served- Thanks for the input on the schedule part of it, I wasn't really thinking about that too much. But that's definitely a consideration.

Sole- Thanks for the information about California. It's kind of sad how our economy is in shambles and even though there's a shortage, there just isn't money there to hire people. I was hearing about how nurses on the floors would be taking care of 2-3 times more people than is comfortable and ending up burnt out.

Hah, surprisingly I'm not Filipino. Although there are times when I'm considered "honorary" because I have a ton of Filipino friends. I guess if I do pursue nursing, it'd just further cement that "honorary" status.

Anton- why are they awesome? I'm just wondering because I'm curious about your perspective. I know some male nurses and true, they are indeed awesome. Also, I like the sig about vegetarianism; I recently heard a friend of mine say that.

UTvol- care to elaborate?

Hah, surprisingly I'm not Filipino. Although there are times when I'm considered "honorary" because I have a ton of Filipino friends. I guess if I do pursue nursing, it'd just further cement that "honorary" status.

Anton- why are they awesome? I'm just wondering because I'm curious about your perspective. I know some male nurses and true, they are indeed awesome. Also, I like the sig about vegetarianism; I recently heard a friend of mine say that.

UTvol- care to elaborate?

Lol nothing man just messin around. Male nurses are sometimes referred to as Murses. All in fun. Im a physician, and male nursing is a great occupation can be very helpful to have around the hospital.
I dont know where this idea that nurses work crazy hours but Id love to be able to work the hours they do.

Lol nothing man just messin around. Male nurses are sometimes referred to as Murses. All in fun. Im a physician, and male nursing is a great occupation can be very helpful to have around the hospital.
I dont know where this idea that nurses work crazy hours but Id love to be able to work the hours they do.

i hear pay is good but hours are insane?

maybe it depends what city and what part of city youre in.

my cousin seems like she goes to cuba 4 times a year. that or she takes too many damn pictures. she works like 3 or 4 days a week.

but her brother still didnt get in, and his gf is in it but workin 15 hours but only getting paid for 12.

looks like stress at school just to go work in more stress lol. and cleaning old peoples buns.

If you decide to work in California, network out of your !@! throughout nursing school. Nowadays you're hired not by what/who you know, it's all about who knows you.

If you decide to work in California, network out of your !@! throughout nursing school. Nowadays you're hired not by what/who you know, it's all about who knows you.

Back
Top Bottom