Any nurses out there? vol. Male nurse

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

Originally Posted by BlackStilettos

One of my good friends applied for nursing school, and the school is requiring her to take pre-reqs before formally accepting her. My best friend is on the nursing school path, too, but she's already been accepted, and is in her first semester. Basically, it is NO joke. People go into nursing school for the money, but truly, it is not worth it if all you want is money. You have to care about the patients. Doctors treat nurses like trash for the most part, and nurses often go without thanks. What's funny is that when I worked with nurses, patients ALWAYS thanked the doctors for their care, but never the nurses who changed their bandages, wiped up their dirty butts, took their blood draws, etc. A lot of times, when things would go wrong, the nurses were the first ones to get the brunt of the yelling from the doctors. I've witnessed a ton of nurses breakdown after getting screamed out by attending docs. I used to work as a hospital secretary, and I have stories for days. I noticed that male nurses almost always kept to themselves. There was one nurse I worked with who had a wife and two kids at home, and NO ONE knew until he mentioned them on his very last day of work. lol.

On another note, I hear a lot about the benefits of being a traveling nurse. Your agency will cover your rent and your living expenses on top of a very serious paycheck. The only problem with that is that you essentially have to relearn hospital procedures for every place you go, and that can be scary.
exaggerate much?
This is the internet. Why would I exaggerate my experiences working with nurses on NT of all places? I don't have time to for that. Just because you experienced otherwise doesn't mean my experience is invalid. 
tired.gif
  But ok.
laugh.gif

One of my good friends applied for nursing school, and the school is requiring her to take pre-reqs before formally accepting her. My best friend is on the nursing school path, too, but she's already been accepted, and is in her first semester. Basically, it is NO joke. People go into nursing school for the money, but truly, it is not worth it if all you want is money. You have to care about the patients. Doctors treat nurses like trash for the most part, and nurses often go without thanks. What's funny is that when I worked with nurses, patients ALWAYS thanked the doctors for their care, but never the nurses who changed their bandages, wiped up their dirty butts, took their blood draws, etc. A lot of times, when things would go wrong, the nurses were the first ones to get the brunt of the yelling from the doctors. I've witnessed a ton of nurses breakdown after getting screamed out by attending docs. I used to work as a hospital secretary, and I have stories for days. I noticed that male nurses almost always kept to themselves. There was one nurse I worked with who had a wife and two kids at home, and NO ONE knew until he mentioned them on his very last day of work. lol.

On another note, I hear a lot about the benefits of being a traveling nurse. Your agency will cover your rent and your living expenses on top of a very serious paycheck. The only problem with that is that you essentially have to relearn hospital procedures for every place you go, and that can be scary.
exaggerate much?
This is the internet. Why would I exaggerate my experiences working with nurses on NT of all places? I don't have time to for that. Just because you experienced otherwise doesn't mean my experience is invalid. 
tired.gif
  But ok.
laugh.gif

Whatever, man. You can keep thinking I am exaggerating. It's not a big deal to me and I have nothing to gain from doing so.

Have a good night.

Whatever, man. You can keep thinking I am exaggerating. It's not a big deal to me and I have nothing to gain from doing so.

Have a good night.

i know a lot of corpsmen its a good way to be in the medical field and serve your country plus the navy will send you to school for free, free housing, and free college + corpmen get to hang with Marines

i know a lot of corpsmen its a good way to be in the medical field and serve your country plus the navy will send you to school for free, free housing, and free college + corpmen get to hang with Marines

Hey op let me put you on, first off as a male applying to a nursing program  your chances are pretty good compare to a female. Male nurse are desperately needed in a hospital environment since majority of the nurses in hospital are female.  From my experience  , nurses do the "dirty" work and often do not get credit  for (cather, poop, bathing, cleaning poop).  The job is very easy if you can get past this and  get paid fairly well. The schedule really depends on the department. Sometimes you get a bad schedule however it is not permanent.  The good thing about being a nurse  is you a can change department if you want to try something new. Anyways you if you really want to explore this route check your local hospital for volunteer and try it out. You might find something esle you might like.

Hey op let me put you on, first off as a male applying to a nursing program  your chances are pretty good compare to a female. Male nurse are desperately needed in a hospital environment since majority of the nurses in hospital are female.  From my experience  , nurses do the "dirty" work and often do not get credit  for (cather, poop, bathing, cleaning poop).  The job is very easy if you can get past this and  get paid fairly well. The schedule really depends on the department. Sometimes you get a bad schedule however it is not permanent.  The good thing about being a nurse  is you a can change department if you want to try something new. Anyways you if you really want to explore this route check your local hospital for volunteer and try it out. You might find something esle you might like.

exaggerate much?
Some of it maybe an exaggeration, but there is truth in it as well. But, I really believe it depends on where you work. I did a couple of clinical rotations at UTMB and the doctor's and nurses, for the most part respected each others work and opinions. I'm at Texas Children's right now and the same could be said for there as well. I've heard not so good things about other hospitals though. I think anyone that considers nursing school should question the intent for doing so. I'm in nursing school right now, and so many people have dropped out because it was not at all what they were expecting. What they thought it was going to be, I'm not sure? I'm not saying a person has to be Mother Theresa to become a nurse, but compassion and the want to help others regardless of their condition needs to be there, because, to put it bluntly, you're going to see some disgusting stuff. Don't get me started on the teachers though...I've had some really great ones, but I've also had teachers that seem intent on making every student feel as incompetent as possible.

exaggerate much?
Some of it maybe an exaggeration, but there is truth in it as well. But, I really believe it depends on where you work. I did a couple of clinical rotations at UTMB and the doctor's and nurses, for the most part respected each others work and opinions. I'm at Texas Children's right now and the same could be said for there as well. I've heard not so good things about other hospitals though. I think anyone that considers nursing school should question the intent for doing so. I'm in nursing school right now, and so many people have dropped out because it was not at all what they were expecting. What they thought it was going to be, I'm not sure? I'm not saying a person has to be Mother Theresa to become a nurse, but compassion and the want to help others regardless of their condition needs to be there, because, to put it bluntly, you're going to see some disgusting stuff. Don't get me started on the teachers though...I've had some really great ones, but I've also had teachers that seem intent on making every student feel as incompetent as possible.

Man, don't stop at RN or LPN, go for the gusto, Nurse Anesthetist. I keep tellin my wife to screw med school and just become one, that's $100k+/year right off the jump.
laugh.gif

Man, don't stop at RN or LPN, go for the gusto, Nurse Anesthetist. I keep tellin my wife to screw med school and just become one, that's $100k+/year right off the jump.
laugh.gif

Murse here.

To make a long story short, I was in the fire academy, tore my acl and wasn't able to finish. I decided to go into nursing, and I never looked back.

Granted, throughout school I was doing a lot of bedside and "real nursing."

I've went a different path and now work at a psych hospital as an RN and I love what I do.

Don't be intimidated cause nursing is so-called a female dominated field, men are taking over and are in demand. But, don't be fooled - we're told the nursing field is recession proof but this field is struggling just like any other. No matter who you know, real talk.

Psych nursing is all different in itself from nursing, we deal with more behaviors than actual nursing.

The thing with nursing there's so many different directions you can choose.

This psych hosp is just a stepping stone for me to get into Twin Towers or Mens Central Jail in Los Angeles.

Just grind for now, go to school, network, graduate and get any job you can - it may be terrible advice but you may need to settle with a crappy SNF job before going into a hospital and getting real experience. But those are the times now, work in your field as soon as you can don't be stagnant and wait for people to call you.

Good luck, as what up or me anything.

Murse here.

To make a long story short, I was in the fire academy, tore my acl and wasn't able to finish. I decided to go into nursing, and I never looked back.

Granted, throughout school I was doing a lot of bedside and "real nursing."

I've went a different path and now work at a psych hospital as an RN and I love what I do.

Don't be intimidated cause nursing is so-called a female dominated field, men are taking over and are in demand. But, don't be fooled - we're told the nursing field is recession proof but this field is struggling just like any other. No matter who you know, real talk.

Psych nursing is all different in itself from nursing, we deal with more behaviors than actual nursing.

The thing with nursing there's so many different directions you can choose.

This psych hosp is just a stepping stone for me to get into Twin Towers or Mens Central Jail in Los Angeles.

Just grind for now, go to school, network, graduate and get any job you can - it may be terrible advice but you may need to settle with a crappy SNF job before going into a hospital and getting real experience. But those are the times now, work in your field as soon as you can don't be stagnant and wait for people to call you.

Good luck, as what up or me anything.

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

laugh.gif

Word, that's what I'm aiming for. I think it's around $130k+ in Texas and you're just helping out not having to clean up diarrhea or stuff like that.

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

laugh.gif

Word, that's what I'm aiming for. I think it's around $130k+ in Texas and you're just helping out not having to clean up diarrhea or stuff like that.

male nurses = failed to get into med school, then failed to get into pharm school

there really is NO REASON for a male to be a nurse unless you !+$*@# up and can't do anything else (but still want decent pay).

male nurses = failed to get into med school, then failed to get into pharm school

there really is NO REASON for a male to be a nurse unless you !+$*@# up and can't do anything else (but still want decent pay).

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

That is very ignorant

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

That is very ignorant

lol male nurse. Yea go for it but remember you will be dealing with bloods. Lots of it. Be expose to diseases, constant standing and walking, work long odd hours plus seeing sick people other time.

Back
Top Bottom