Any nurses out there? vol. Male nurse

i hear pay is good but hours are insane?

maybe it depends what city and what part of city youre in.

my cousin seems like she goes to cuba 4 times a year. that or she takes too many damn pictures. she works like 3 or 4 days a week.

but her brother still didnt get in, and his gf is in it but workin 15 hours but only getting paid for 12.

looks like stress at school just to go work in more stress lol. and cleaning old peoples buns.

Originally Posted by What up

If you decide to work in California, network out of your !@! throughout nursing school. Nowadays you're hired not by what/who you know, it's all about who knows you.

THIS.

Yeah, that's how I got my name in the lottery, you can only apply for the lottery when you're done with your pre-reqs.

If you decide to work in California, network out of your !@! throughout nursing school. Nowadays you're hired not by what/who you know, it's all about who knows you.

THIS.

Yeah, that's how I got my name in the lottery, you can only apply for the lottery when you're done with your pre-reqs.

That's pretty much any good job...

That's pretty much any good job...

Originally Posted by Mycoldyourdone

my cousin seems like she goes to cuba 4 times a year. that or she takes too many damn pictures. she works like 3 or 4 days a week.

but her brother still didnt get in, and his gf is in it but workin 15 hours but only getting paid for 12.

looks like stress at school just to go work in more stress lol. and cleaning old peoples buns.

In one of my shadowing experiences a while back I had to help a male nurse (yes he was Filipino
laugh.gif
) clean an old person's diarrhea. Good times. From that day onward I found deep respect for the profession. I'm not about that life.

One of my good friends applied for nursing school, and the school is requiring her to take pre-reqs before formally accepting her. My best friend is on the nursing school path, too, but she's already been accepted, and is in her first semester. Basically, it is NO joke. People go into nursing school for the money, but truly, it is not worth it if all you want is money. You have to care about the patients. Doctors treat nurses like trash for the most part, and nurses often go without thanks. What's funny is that when I worked with nurses, patients ALWAYS thanked the doctors for their care, but never the nurses who changed their bandages, wiped up their dirty butts, took their blood draws, etc. A lot of times, when things would go wrong, the nurses were the first ones to get the brunt of the yelling from the doctors. I've witnessed a ton of nurses breakdown after getting screamed out by attending docs. I used to work as a hospital secretary, and I have stories for days. I noticed that male nurses almost always kept to themselves. There was one nurse I worked with who had a wife and two kids at home, and NO ONE knew until he mentioned them on his very last day of work. lol.

On another note, I hear a lot about the benefits of being a traveling nurse. Your agency will cover your rent and your living expenses on top of a very serious paycheck. The only problem with that is that you essentially have to relearn hospital procedures for every place you go, and that can be scary.

One of my good friends applied for nursing school, and the school is requiring her to take pre-reqs before formally accepting her. My best friend is on the nursing school path, too, but she's already been accepted, and is in her first semester. Basically, it is NO joke. People go into nursing school for the money, but truly, it is not worth it if all you want is money. You have to care about the patients. Doctors treat nurses like trash for the most part, and nurses often go without thanks. What's funny is that when I worked with nurses, patients ALWAYS thanked the doctors for their care, but never the nurses who changed their bandages, wiped up their dirty butts, took their blood draws, etc. A lot of times, when things would go wrong, the nurses were the first ones to get the brunt of the yelling from the doctors. I've witnessed a ton of nurses breakdown after getting screamed out by attending docs. I used to work as a hospital secretary, and I have stories for days. I noticed that male nurses almost always kept to themselves. There was one nurse I worked with who had a wife and two kids at home, and NO ONE knew until he mentioned them on his very last day of work. lol.

On another note, I hear a lot about the benefits of being a traveling nurse. Your agency will cover your rent and your living expenses on top of a very serious paycheck. The only problem with that is that you essentially have to relearn hospital procedures for every place you go, and that can be scary.

Originally Posted by Mycoldyourdone

In one of my shadowing experiences a while back I had to help a male nurse (yes he was Filipino
laugh.gif
) clean an old person's diarrhea. Good times. From that day onward I found deep respect for the profession. I'm not about that life.

I can't talk about any other job. I just know what my friends and I went through finding employment. If you don't have anything to add to the discussion then go watch some game film with Coach Sing.  

And BlackStilettos, maybe you should preface your post with this: "I worked as a secretary at a dysfunctional unit."

I can't talk about any other job. I just know what my friends and I went through finding employment. If you don't have anything to add to the discussion then go watch some game film with Coach Sing.  

And BlackStilettos, maybe you should preface your post with this: "I worked as a secretary at a dysfunctional unit."

internet-24591.jpg

internet-24591.jpg

If you want to clean up other peoples #%$@ go for it!  Something a little more interesting, look into radiology/ nuclear medicine/ x-ray tech.  

If you want to clean up other peoples #%$@ go for it!  Something a little more interesting, look into radiology/ nuclear medicine/ x-ray tech.  

I know, right?
Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

So? You soundin like a groupie..You gon' dome him up?

OP, if you have any questions just PM me and I'll do my best to answer them.  Don't take everything that is said in here at face value.  The "I have a friend and she tells me..." @!*@ is meaningless and will most likely never apply to you and your situation.  Good luck, pimp.

Nursing in a perplexing field. I work in the medical field so I hear about nurses a lot.

They go from a large surplus to shortage every few years. So right now they may not need more, but in a few years there won't be enough.

If you want to do it, get started now. They will need you eventually.

I know, right?
Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

So? You soundin like a groupie..You gon' dome him up?

OP, if you have any questions just PM me and I'll do my best to answer them.  Don't take everything that is said in here at face value.  The "I have a friend and she tells me..." @!*@ is meaningless and will most likely never apply to you and your situation.  Good luck, pimp.

Nursing in a perplexing field. I work in the medical field so I hear about nurses a lot.

They go from a large surplus to shortage every few years. So right now they may not need more, but in a few years there won't be enough.

If you want to do it, get started now. They will need you eventually.

LOL. You can disagree all you want, dude. I not only have my experience, but those of good nursing friends of mine who have never even worked for any of the hospitals I worked for. Count your blessings that you've never had to deal with an egotistical doctor in an ICU setting. That is a rarity.

I'm sure OP has common sense. I'm sure he's not going to take all of these comments as gospel. I was relaying my experience and that of my friends and I am not changing them because you think they are inaccurate. I didn't say every experience is like the one I described. That's a given.
wink.gif

LOL. You can disagree all you want, dude. I not only have my experience, but those of good nursing friends of mine who have never even worked for any of the hospitals I worked for. Count your blessings that you've never had to deal with an egotistical doctor in an ICU setting. That is a rarity.

I'm sure OP has common sense. I'm sure he's not going to take all of these comments as gospel. I was relaying my experience and that of my friends and I am not changing them because you think they are inaccurate. I didn't say every experience is like the one I described. That's a given.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by BlackStilettos

exaggerate much?

Originally Posted by BlackStilettos

exaggerate much?

Back
Top Bottom