Anyone Collect Sports Cards?

plansb plansb I think the biggest reason is the young folks in the game are looking at whos hot now. They arent looking to the past.

To be honest, when I was young Jordan was poppin. Magic and Bird were on the tail end of the career. I didnt buy or seek out any Magic, Bird, Dr J, etc.

Im sure some kids did, but me and the homies were only about the current players at the time. And I respected the hell outta Bird, Magic, Dr J. I got it. I just didnt spend a cent on em.

Even me now, I grew up in the Iverson era. I've focused 99% of my purchases on current players though.

I do think people will go back to the older stuff and you will see an increase in value. Look at Shaq rookies, etc

Idk but the card market has had an influx of people enter, from flippers to folks that use to collect as a kid and recently hopped back in. I dont see anybody just walking away, so there might be a correction at some point but for the most part I think things will hold strong. Long term, card companies will probably move towards over-production (again, like 89 Upper Deck), so future product might eventually tip the scale.

Right now you just have more demand than anything. I keep hearing "oh, theres 15k PSA 10 Luka's, dont buy, look for RPA's instead." 15k Luka PSA 10's dont mean **** if 100k people want one. Basketball is international too so if anything will continue to hold, IMO, its basketball cards. The demand isnt going anywhere

Only football cards Ive really purchased is Drew Lock, other Broncos and Christian McCaffrey. lol
I think this makes sense. My only concern would be if too many of the recent entrants are flippers or people thinking they’re gonna hit gold. If those people are the majority then it is unsustainable. You still need that core group of people that actually collect them to create that value.

plansb plansb I think the biggest reason is the young folks in the game are looking at whos hot now. They arent looking to the past.

To be honest, when I was young Jordan was poppin. Magic and Bird were on the tail end of the career. I didnt buy or seek out any Magic, Bird, Dr J, etc.

Im sure some kids did, but me and the homies were only about the current players at the time. And I respected the hell outta Bird, Magic, Dr J. I got it. I just didnt spend a cent on em.

Even me now, I grew up in the Iverson era. I've focused 99% of my purchases on current players though. I do think people will go back to the older stuff and you will see an increase in value. Look at Shaq rookies, etc
So do you think when these guys are out of the league like the mentioned players, values will drop? I see what you are saying, I just think the current market for some of these players is extremely overvalued.

edit: I’m glad it’s the current players getting hyped so I can still grab all the cards of guys from my youth :lol:

I think this makes sense. My only concern would be if too many of the recent entrants are flippers or people thinking they’re gonna hit gold. If those people are the majority then it is unsustainable. You still need that core group of people that actually collect them to create that value.

I could be wrong about all of this but IMO the flippers arent the majority, they're just a piece. I think most people will be here for awhile because they are invested. Nobody is walking away after puttng money in. Even most flippers. Theres crossover too. I've flipped **** all my life. Its not like every flipper isnt a sports fan. A lot of them are, they arent only flippers. They're just hustlers at the end of the day.

I think the amount of people that are in right now will be in for the foreseeable future.

So do you think when these guys are out of the league like the mentioned players, values will drop? I see what you are saying, I just think the current market for some of these players is extremely overvalued.

edit: I’m glad it’s the current players getting hyped so I can still grab all the cards of guys from my youth :lol:

Things will always fluctuate but I think this new market will sustain for the most part. I dont see Lebron stuff going down when he retires. The old stuff is victim to the old market, which was a lot smaller than its now grown too.

Dont get me wrong, I dont know what 10-20 years into the future looks like. But the next few years, again IMO, will hold strong, barring maybe a small correction. Overall, I think things are in a good place.

I could be completely wrong though too

Cards are simple.

It's not a player, it's next. Who's next?

In the late 80's, Canseco, McGwire, Marino, Elway, Ken Griffey, Aikman, Barry Sanders were driving the hobby insane. Those cards were legends.

Then in the early 90's it was hot streaks like Craig Jefferies, Phil Plantier, Emmitt, Favre, Shaq, etc.

It's rookies. Period. Rookies are what drives the hobby. It's always about "who's next"? Right now, it's Bobby Witt Jr, Jasson Dominguez, Zion, Ja, etc. In 2 years, no one will give you 5 bucks for their 3rd year cards. The rookies are what stay relevant over a longer term.

Go look at what you can get a Canseco, McGwire, Marino, Elway, Griffey, Aikman, Barry for now. :nerd: Still spendy, absolutely, but nowhere near the values they were in the 80's-90's.

Your other options are simple. If rookies/prices aren't your thing, you can collect favorite players, or favorite sets (I love Bowman baseball every single year, no matter what) or even just buy in bulk in terms of quantity of cards vs quality of them. Me personally, I don't have any graded cards. I buy boxes and boxes, pull the best stuff I can, sleeve it and store it, and that's that. Hell, you saw a few weeks ago I had busted packs YEARS AGO, and put them back into their packs and into the boxes and then filed them away. I forgot about all of them. :lol:

Next year the buzz will die down on Witt, Dominguez, Ja, etc (Zion may be a different animal in the Bron category of hobby following). Luka year 3 cards won't be anything to anybody, but his rookies will still hold weight for sure.

Always, rookies. Always.

2nd year silver Lukas go for $400 in a PSA 10...Can’t speak for anyone else but I’d be happy with that pull. Better than the 1000 Romeo Langford rookies that seem to haunt me wherever I go, him and Carsen Edwards.

Light pickup day
20200706_133805.jpg

Trifecta on the Select McCaffrey rookies. The Field Level is the silver prizm.

The Bo is crazy good condition. Sharp corners, no white corners on the back, centering is not perfect but solid. Prob psa it

Light pickup day
20200706_133805.jpg

The Bo is crazy good condition. Sharp corners, no white corners on the back, centering is not perfect but solid. Prob psa it

lmk if you’re willing to unload some of your drew locks’s. As a bronco fan, it’s more of a pc thing , than it is an investment :wink:

Light pickup day
20200706_133805.jpg

Prime w/ the Curl :nthat::nthat::nthat:8)8)8)

Btw, how old is everyone in here? #NTSeniorsTourMember - 42

lmk if you’re willing to unload some of your drew locks’s. As a bronco fan, it’s more of a pc thing , than it is an investment :wink:

Lol I feel you! I pick up Broncos stuff because thats my team. With Lock I feel hes the first qb the Broncos have drafted that has potential to be that guy, we'll see how it goes tho. Holding onto to most of it for now but I have couple things I'd consider. Most notably, is a Prizm silver auto rookie. Might send it to psa since it looks great but for the right offer I might let go of it.

I'll let you know if I got anything else I'm willing to depart with

Prime w/ the Curl :nthat::nthat::nthat:8)8)8)

Btw, how old is everyone in here? #NTSeniorsTourMember - 42

:nthat:

I'm an 80s baby.

That post reminded me I have a ****ing mint 89 topps traded Deion rookie (mlb) that I’ve wanted to send in for a while. I really think it could get a psa 10. I love that card for some reason. :lol:

100% this. Everybody is different but if I personally had to narrow it down to one player, its Luka for me. He's the truth and only into his second season. His stuff will never be cheaper than it is now. And its already not cheap. lol

Beyond that, the safest bet is Lebron. His stuff is already up there though too.

Again, personally I'd go with a Luka Prizm PSA10 and then look at Zion or Ja Morant, figure out who you think has the potential to really have a solid career, and buy a prizm psa 10 of either of those.

I like to gamble a bit more but if you're more risk averse you could go Luka Prizm PSA 10 ($800-$850 ish) and something like a Lebron PSA 8 rookie, the Topps one where he is holding his jersey up went for $550 this weekend in a PSA 8
What do you think about a silver Luka PSA 9?

I like it. Law of percentages tbh. As long as it increases the same percentage or similar you’re good. If anything I think 9’s are undervalued and I stated that previously.

Speaking of which, y’all have a certain guideline y’all go by? If a card doubles in value it’s almost an automatic sale for me, unless it’s a PC piece but at this time the only real PC player for me is Lebron. Legacy and impact is set.

I like it. Law of percentages tbh. As long as it increases the same percentage or similar you’re good. If anything I think 9’s are undervalued and I stated that previously.

Speaking of which, y’all have a certain guideline y’all go by? If a card doubles in value it’s almost an automatic sale for me, unless it’s a PC piece but at this time the only real PC player for me is Lebron. Legacy and impact is set.
If it doubles I’ll sell it as well. No loss taken!

2nd year silver Lukas go for $400 in a PSA 10...Can’t speak for anyone else but I’d be happy with that pull. Better than the 1000 Romeo Langford rookies that seem to haunt me wherever I go, him and Carsen Edwards.

yeah but idk. This thing is driven by rookies. Not 2nd year cards. I’d prefer that over the Carsen’s as well strictly $$$ wise.

at least you got someone kinda worth while haunting you. I got a sick Ty Jerome stash.

TBH this is such a recent phenomenon of “2nd year cards” that I have no idea if it’ll stick.

Light pickup day
20200706_133805.jpg

That Deion is nice. Classic card. Gotta add that one to my list.

That post reminded me I have a ****ing mint 89 topps traded Deion rookie (mlb) that I’ve wanted to send in for a while. I really think it could get a psa 10. I love that card for some reason. :lol:
Dope, hell yeah all them older cards are classic man. Especially the Deions. Grabbin all of em in a 9 or 10 when I find deals. People are starting to scoop em up tho so prices are starting to rise.

I love it man. I have 2 PSA 9 Lukas (just Select Concourse and Revolution) but I personally would pick up any/all Lukas that's in a person's budget. Especially silvers. Hoard it all lol your future self will thank you

just sent 2 Prizm Luka base in to PSA. One is pristine, the other is solid. I was super critical w/ em too. Hoping for at least one 10! Sent some Ja in too.

Last edited:
Dope, hell yeah all them older cards are classic man. Especially the Deions. Grabbin all of em in a 9 or 10 when I find deals. People are starting to scoop em up tho so prices are starting to rise.

I love it man. I have 2 PSA 9 Lukas (just Select Concourse and Revolution) but I personally would pick up any/all Lukas that's in a person's budget. Especially silvers. Hoard it all lol your future self will thank you

just sent 2 Prizm Luka base in to PSA. One is pristine, the other is solid. I was super critical w/ em too. Hoping for at least one 10! Sent some Ja in too.
Sweet! I have 2 base also. Sent them in hoping for 10s! Thinking one is a 9 though. As far as this purchase I’m thinking of the Luka silver psa 9, bgs Giannis RC or Lebron Topps psa 9

yeah but idk. This thing is driven by rookies. Not 2nd year cards. I’d prefer that over the Carsen’s as well strictly $$$ wise.

at least you got someone kinda worth while haunting you. I got a sick Ty Jerome stash.

TBH this is such a recent phenomenon of “2nd year cards” that I have no idea if it’ll stick.

I agree with you, long term wise I don’t see it sticking either. More so they’re just running on the fumes of the true RC’s.

If Edwards ever becomes an All star caliber player I’m backing that brinks truck up 😂.

Obsidian ain’t the wave imo.

Panini firing up the printers and taking advantage of this cash grab opportunity.

Here’s my KG rookie collection. I’ve got pretty much all of his stuff aside from a few foreign language cards and unlicensed cards. Most of these I have doubles or triples of. The Topps Finest are my favorite. Both were basically unattainable for me as a youngster.
456160B7-CD49-4222-ADF8-FEFC8C77492C.jpeg
B4E501D6-D1F3-4BC3-A853-3B32B320111C.jpeg

And here’s another Deion rookie Jheri curl for good measure:
0FEA7B6C-914B-402C-9B6A-7E9F7AAC5691.jpeg

Managed to snatch up this card out of a 2019/20 Upper Deck Series 1 Hockey Jumbo pack. Just sold it on EBay for $28. I’m sure i could have got more for it but I don’t know much about the sport. From the videos I've seen on Youtube card pullers, I've found that he's the main rookie they look for.
6EF3D20C-27E0-46D5-9A98-FD81C4115D6F.jpeg

82B1FD2D-EA41-44CB-964F-9D0FEB358828.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom