Anyone else feel this way? JB doing too much too quickly?

sour diesel

Banned
First off, this isn't the usual "JB is declining, quality sucks, etc" whining threads. Yes, those are important factors, but not what I want to touch on with this. I'm more concerned with the abundance of sought after kicks being reissued seemingly one after another. Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing, and I love having a chance to pick up stuff I couldn't as a kid, but at the same time I can't help but wonder how it will effect the brand in the long run. In the last 3 or so years, we've seen some sort of retro of many, many shoes people would consider grails, all time favorites, etc., and by mid-2011 there will be even more Just to make a rough list..

Jordan 1 - KOs, Bulls colorway, Bulls w/ strap, metallics, black/greys, CDP white/blacks, more

2 - Bulls colorway, CDP white/red

3 - Fire Red, CDP Black Cement, True Blue, White cement (every OG)

4 - Mars, Military's, Black Cements

5 - Every OG colorway

6 - Carmine CDP, Infrared Pack

7 - Hare, Black/Red, Bordeaux, Olympic, Cardinal (every OG)

8 - Aqua, Playoff, White/Reds (Every OG)

9 - Bulls, Charcoal, Powder/UNC

10 - Shadows

11 - Black/Red, Space Jam, Cool Grey

12 - White/Red, CDP Taxi, Flu Game, Nubuck UNC

13 - CDP, Flint, White/Red, Playoff, Altitude

14 - Last Shot, White/Black

Ok, you get it. Think that's the majority at least. What I'm really saying is, what's left from here, and where do they go after that? We've been pretty damn spoiled. The big ones I can think of are the Cement 4s, Blue/Maroon/Olympic 6s, Olive 9s (?), a lot of 10s (the only major omission in the series), Concord/Columbia and maybe some low top 11s, Obsidian/Playoff/leather black&red 12s, black/red 13s, maybe some 14s, and then of course the eventual retros of the later numbers in the series. At the rate they're going, that's really not a lot of stuff, and they could probably get most of it out within a few years. Some are already heavily rumored for 2011. Of course, they can always re-retro all of this stuff, but that's only going to carry the same appeal for so long. With the signature line already falling off the map in terms of popularity, is a shift away from Jordans inevitable? Will they come up with something new to counter this delimma? Maybe a huge run of Retro+ colors?

Thoughts? PS sorry if this post doesn't come out right at first, I'm on my phone but will edit to fix it if needed.

First off, this isn't the usual "JB is declining, quality sucks, etc" whining threads. Yes, those are important factors, but not what I want to touch on with this. I'm more concerned with the abundance of sought after kicks being reissued seemingly one after another. Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing, and I love having a chance to pick up stuff I couldn't as a kid, but at the same time I can't help but wonder how it will effect the brand in the long run. In the last 3 or so years, we've seen some sort of retro of many, many shoes people would consider grails, all time favorites, etc., and by mid-2011 there will be even more Just to make a rough list..

Jordan 1 - KOs, Bulls colorway, Bulls w/ strap, metallics, black/greys, CDP white/blacks, more

2 - Bulls colorway, CDP white/red

3 - Fire Red, CDP Black Cement, True Blue, White cement (every OG)

4 - Mars, Military's, Black Cements

5 - Every OG colorway

6 - Carmine CDP, Infrared Pack

7 - Hare, Black/Red, Bordeaux, Olympic, Cardinal (every OG)

8 - Aqua, Playoff, White/Reds (Every OG)

9 - Bulls, Charcoal, Powder/UNC

10 - Shadows

11 - Black/Red, Space Jam, Cool Grey

12 - White/Red, CDP Taxi, Flu Game, Nubuck UNC

13 - CDP, Flint, White/Red, Playoff, Altitude

14 - Last Shot, White/Black

Ok, you get it. Think that's the majority at least. What I'm really saying is, what's left from here, and where do they go after that? We've been pretty damn spoiled. The big ones I can think of are the Cement 4s, Blue/Maroon/Olympic 6s, Olive 9s (?), a lot of 10s (the only major omission in the series), Concord/Columbia and maybe some low top 11s, Obsidian/Playoff/leather black&red 12s, black/red 13s, maybe some 14s, and then of course the eventual retros of the later numbers in the series. At the rate they're going, that's really not a lot of stuff, and they could probably get most of it out within a few years. Some are already heavily rumored for 2011. Of course, they can always re-retro all of this stuff, but that's only going to carry the same appeal for so long. With the signature line already falling off the map in terms of popularity, is a shift away from Jordans inevitable? Will they come up with something new to counter this delimma? Maybe a huge run of Retro+ colors?

Thoughts? PS sorry if this post doesn't come out right at first, I'm on my phone but will edit to fix it if needed.

yeah I get what you are saying. I always wondered that myself like how many time are they gonna re-retro a shoe? after a while it gets stale, but the good news is that you get a way better chance of copping the retroes you missed out at a fairly decent price, so you don't even have cop a retro on the release day anymore because you are bound to find them on ebay for a cheaper price months later(certain retroes of course). perfect example the cherry red XII's that dropped last year is still on ebay at very good prices. and i'm not talking about a couple pairs it's a real good amount that's still out there it's not that hard to find. even the varsity red VIs are still easy to cop right now. I seen them going on ebay for as low as $95. same thing with the IXs that dropped this year. and I can go on and on. at the end of the day though, yes re retroeing the same shoe does get stale after a while, but it is also a good thing. so it's like a gift and a curse.

yeah I get what you are saying. I always wondered that myself like how many time are they gonna re-retro a shoe? after a while it gets stale, but the good news is that you get a way better chance of copping the retroes you missed out at a fairly decent price, so you don't even have cop a retro on the release day anymore because you are bound to find them on ebay for a cheaper price months later(certain retroes of course). perfect example the cherry red XII's that dropped last year is still on ebay at very good prices. and i'm not talking about a couple pairs it's a real good amount that's still out there it's not that hard to find. even the varsity red VIs are still easy to cop right now. I seen them going on ebay for as low as $95. same thing with the IXs that dropped this year. and I can go on and on. at the end of the day though, yes re retroeing the same shoe does get stale after a while, but it is also a good thing. so it's like a gift and a curse.

chicago x's still cost $1,000+
sick.gif
until those retro JB isn't doing enough for me.lol

i just wish they would space retros out more. but as far as jb running out of steam by retroing anything og they have left l could care less. Maybe they'll start to do something innovative again. start a new signature line or something just to fall back off retros for a while. Too many retro+ colorways could kill the models for alot of people just look at the I's. They living off retros now and eventually thats gonna come back to bite them in the @##.

i just wish they would space retros out more. but as far as jb running out of steam by retroing anything og they have left l could care less. Maybe they'll start to do something innovative again. start a new signature line or something just to fall back off retros for a while. Too many retro+ colorways could kill the models for alot of people just look at the I's. They living off retros now and eventually thats gonna come back to bite them in the @##.

It does appear that they have dropped many sought after releases in such a short span of time.

Jordan I: No more, these have been done to death in so many different forms.
Jordan II: I could see JB re-releasing the Melo 2's and perhaps some PE colorways
Jordan III: Nothing left to re-release from an OG standpoint.
Jordan IV: White Cements
Jordan V: Please no more
Jordan VI: Sport Blues, Olympics
Jordan VII: All OG's have been or will have been released by next year
Jordan VIII: Please no more
Jordan IX: Could see them re-releasing the French Blue colorway
Jordan X: Should re-release the "team series" (NY, Chi, Orl, Sac)
Jordan XI: Concord and Columbia colorways will be re-released
Jordan XII: Obsidian's only OG colorway yet to be re-released
Jordan XIII: No Og's left to re-released
Jordan XIV:Indigo colorway
Jordan XV: Horrible the first time around,no need to release these monstrosities again.
Jordan XVI: White/Blue colorway.

Everything after the XVI imo is not worth mentioning.

It does appear that they have dropped many sought after releases in such a short span of time.

Jordan I: No more, these have been done to death in so many different forms.
Jordan II: I could see JB re-releasing the Melo 2's and perhaps some PE colorways
Jordan III: Nothing left to re-release from an OG standpoint.
Jordan IV: White Cements
Jordan V: Please no more
Jordan VI: Sport Blues, Olympics
Jordan VII: All OG's have been or will have been released by next year
Jordan VIII: Please no more
Jordan IX: Could see them re-releasing the French Blue colorway
Jordan X: Should re-release the "team series" (NY, Chi, Orl, Sac)
Jordan XI: Concord and Columbia colorways will be re-released
Jordan XII: Obsidian's only OG colorway yet to be re-released
Jordan XIII: No Og's left to re-released
Jordan XIV:Indigo colorway
Jordan XV: Horrible the first time around,no need to release these monstrosities again.
Jordan XVI: White/Blue colorway.

Everything after the XVI imo is not worth mentioning.

Love the fact that they are doing this and I hope they continue to do this. For a guy like me, 18 years old, I missed out on a lot, and now I get to get a lot of the kicks that I didn't have a chance to get when i was younger

Love the fact that they are doing this and I hope they continue to do this. For a guy like me, 18 years old, I missed out on a lot, and now I get to get a lot of the kicks that I didn't have a chance to get when i was younger

Guys, the blue 6s were the first ones I mentioned as a major shoe still awaiting Retro.. Definitely very sought after. Interesting to see people agreeing with this, I'm liking the discussion so far.Also, in my original post when I mentioned the sig line falling off, I meant the current renditions

Guys, the blue 6s were the first ones I mentioned as a major shoe still awaiting Retro.. Definitely very sought after. Interesting to see people agreeing with this, I'm liking the discussion so far.Also, in my original post when I mentioned the sig line falling off, I meant the current renditions

IN TERMS OF HAVING PROOF I DO NOT - but i did hear last week from a mom and pop store owner, who supposively heard this from his JB rep, that JB is ending retro releases in "the next few years" and then after that IT IS OVER!!! of course again, this is just what i was told...

Back
Top Bottom