Anyone else getting a pop up ad on NT Mobile?

From the screen shots posted seems to only be on iPhone. Anyone with android getting em?

I got android and i dont get any

Also on Android and don't get any at all.

Used to get em a lot on Huddler tho.

I'm on android and have gotten them recently. Hella annoying having to close the tab each time.

We're working to track this down as quickly as possible.

Those who are unfamiliar with how most modern online advertising works might assume that this is something that we deliberately booked and sold because pop up ads are higher yield than conventional ads. That's not true.

The overwhelming majority of online advertising is served through ad networks. Save for those labeled sponsors, like Random Objects, ads on NikeTalk run through networks like Google Ad Sense. We have the ability to block ads manually, but we don't have the opportunity to review ads before they run on the site.

The big ad networks are largely automated and their screening procedures are imperfect, to say the least. Occasionally, bad ads get through. In the unfortunate event that one does, we try our best to identify and block it before anyone notices the problem. In the vast majority of cases since relaunch, we've managed to identify and block abusive ads before receiving a single report.

It's easiest to identify problematic ads on desktop, thanks to the additional tools included in desktop browsers. (This article provides a quick overview of the process.) Basically, we have to load the site until we spot the problematic ad ourselves while capturing all the network activity associated with the current session. I've yet to come across this pop up ad myself.

A simple screenshot can help us know what to look for, but we still need to find the ad's source. The URL you're seeing in most of these, cloudfront, is just a CDN where the image is stored. Blocking that would not block the source of the ad.

To make matters more complicated, the ads we see on the site can vary depending on factors like browsing history, which influence the ads a given network will serve, as well as the context of the page in which the ad is located. These extra variables make it harder for us to reproduce a problem that you might be experiencing, as we wouldn't share your browsing history and reports rarely include the exact thread or page where the ad was seen. OS and browser are often factors as well. In this case, the problem appears to be either exclusive to or predominantly experienced by Safari users on iPhone.

Blocking this type of advertising is considered a top priority. We have never intentionally allowed any company to serve pop up ads on NikeTalk. Besides the obvious (we use the site, too!), any abusive advertising that encourages users to run ad blocking software represents a threat to the viability of the site itself. We need to keep the ad quality up so that the resulting revenue can cover our costs.

Wonder if it has something to do with that "down time" nt was experiencing a couple days ago. Got that error msg at one point yesterday again, havent got any ad pop ups tho
The two issues are unrelated. The downtime was due to an unanticipated issue associated with the site's routine backups. I'm told that problem has been corrected.

Not cool meth
I'm as upset about this as anyone, if not more so.

+1. I was just about to make a new thread in the support forum. Never happened on the old platform.
Actually, it happened more frequently on the old platform - even on mobile. We had to ask Huddler to identify and block ads that were redirecting users to garbage software downloads on the Apple App store on quite a few separate occasions.

The forum software has changed, but we're running some of the same ad networks now that we had been on Huddler, like Ad Sense. In fact, we're running a lot fewer ad networks now specifically for quality control reasons.

Hi everyone, I have added all the prohibited URLs from these reported popups. We do not allow or condone this type of aggressive ad behavior from any of our providers. If these ads were placed on NT without our permission, we are seeking all options to remove them immediately.

Thank you to everyone who's been so helpful as to report these to us. Please continue to send us screenshots of these popups so we can help track them down and remove them.

I've been asked to recommend that those impacted by this clear their cookies, just as a precaution.

To be clear: I'm not going to blame all of this on malware, your browsing habits, etc. We're treating this as though it is rooted in an ad being served on our site, but we want to provide everyone affected with immediate relief if at all possible.

At the moment, the only display ads we're running come from Google AdSense. There are higher yield ad networks out there that would earn us more money per page view, but we aren't running them specifically because we're trying to ensure that all of the ads served on our community are safe and not abusive. We're earning less than we were when the ad network choices were left up to Huddler/Wikia as a result. Sadly, that will impact donations, but the sanctity and integrity of the community comes first, as that drives everything we do together, including our fundraising efforts.

But yeah Meth, some of your ad's are starting to look "Russian" like
There are some similarities in the sense that ad purchasing has become a largely automated process throughout the industry, which is what enabled the subversive Russian ad purchases.

This article provides some great insight into how contemporary ad purchasing works, and why two people can have two very different advertising experiences on the same site: https://www.propublica.org/article/facebook-enabled-advertisers-to-reach-jew-haters

When an abusive ad slips through, it can therefore be difficult to block it because we don't have a big, comprehensive list of what's running on our site. That's all controlled by the network. All we can do is block the ads once identified, and that's difficult if we can't reproduce them ourselves. To start, all of the URLs shown in the screen captures everyone has provided will be blocked. Bad actors in this space tend to adapt quickly, so it is a bit like "whack a mole."

We greatly appreciate everyone's patience and understanding.

Just got another one

IMG_9190.PNG

I remember ezboard there were 0 ads.
Miss those times

gotta be trolling.

Serious, i remember when meth said or someone said they wanted to keep the site ad free, but advertising was inevitable on yuku, huddled etc. If there were ad on ez, it didn't bother

Back
Top Bottom