Anyone ever just pick up everything and move far away?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by badmoonRison

If you guys are looking for a good place to move to, I really think you'd be surprised at how much you like Minneapolis. I've been here about six months now (internships), and it really has everything. Lakes are everywhere, the women are great, big time sports, great concert venues, most bike-friendly city in America, great food, the list goes on. For those worried about the temp, it's really not terrible in the winter besides maybe a few days out of the year. Summer temps range from 75-90, perfect.
After my bachelors wraps up this May, I really have no plans. I want to move somewhere new and different, where should I look, NT? The only stipulation is that I cannot handle super-hot weather all the time.
A lot of lakes and being biker friendly is a major plus for me.

I mean there is just too much in this world to be tied down to one area. Really. FOrget all that Hometown GLory mess. I want to be a worldly man.

I REGRET not doing Study Abroad.
eyes.gif

All I can say is that I've been here six months and I'm already having thoughts of "this is where I could stay a LONG time 
pimp.gif
", only thing holding me back is job uncertainty and that I don't want to end my journey just yet.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

If you guys are looking for a good place to move to, I really think you'd be surprised at how much you like Minneapolis. I've been here about six months now (internships), and it really has everything. Lakes are everywhere, the women are great, big time sports, great concert venues, most bike-friendly city in America, great food, the list goes on. For those worried about the temp, it's really not terrible in the winter besides maybe a few days out of the year. Summer temps range from 75-90, perfect.
After my bachelors wraps up this May, I really have no plans. I want to move somewhere new and different, where should I look, NT? The only stipulation is that I cannot handle super-hot weather all the time.
A lot of lakes and being biker friendly is a major plus for me.

I mean there is just too much in this world to be tied down to one area. Really. FOrget all that Hometown GLory mess. I want to be a worldly man.

I REGRET not doing Study Abroad.
eyes.gif

All I can say is that I've been here six months and I'm already having thoughts of "this is where I could stay a LONG time 
pimp.gif
", only thing holding me back is job uncertainty and that I don't want to end my journey just yet.

I want to pack up my stuff and move away tomorrow if I could.  I have enough money to hold me down for a few months.
My family depends on me way too much financially and to do things for them.  I feel like I can't move forward in my life.  My family holds me back.  I want to finish school and get my degree but I can't do that living here.  But I don't want to be selfish and leave my family when they need my help.

I want to pack up my stuff and move away tomorrow if I could.  I have enough money to hold me down for a few months.
My family depends on me way too much financially and to do things for them.  I feel like I can't move forward in my life.  My family holds me back.  I want to finish school and get my degree but I can't do that living here.  But I don't want to be selfish and leave my family when they need my help.

Well if someone wants to move to Atlanta with me, let me know. It'll be between Oct and 1st quarter of 11 I make my decision for sure. Or if someone wants to move to Lawton or the general Texhoma area (look for jobs at Fort Sill Army base, Cameron University Lawton OK, Sheppard or Tinker Air Force Bases are some major local employers) I'll help hold you down for a while.

Well if someone wants to move to Atlanta with me, let me know. It'll be between Oct and 1st quarter of 11 I make my decision for sure. Or if someone wants to move to Lawton or the general Texhoma area (look for jobs at Fort Sill Army base, Cameron University Lawton OK, Sheppard or Tinker Air Force Bases are some major local employers) I'll help hold you down for a while.

I have thought about relocating to Paris for a while. Not sure if I'll actually act on it as Paris seems to be a place where people keep to themselves and aren't nearly as sociable as the States.

I don't know. I still got to save up and become fluent in French.

On the flip side, I was thinking about moving to NYC or Cali one day.

Making it through this year will determine a lot.

I have thought about relocating to Paris for a while. Not sure if I'll actually act on it as Paris seems to be a place where people keep to themselves and aren't nearly as sociable as the States.

I don't know. I still got to save up and become fluent in French.

On the flip side, I was thinking about moving to NYC or Cali one day.

Making it through this year will determine a lot.

My Wife and i just got back from 6 days in Amsterdam , and 7 in Paris.. the trip changed my life. Amsterdam was the most unbelievable place imaginable.
we are planning on moving to Amsterdam within 6 months. My wife is a french teacher here in Ohio, and can make double working for the European International school system in Amsterdam
plus my life is basically herbals anyway so i think i can do fine lol
the only set back is that we just bought a house 7 or 8 months ago.
so the plan is to rent the house , sell the cars/tvs/furniture and try to find an apartment in Amsterdam for us and our 3 dogs..

My Wife and i just got back from 6 days in Amsterdam , and 7 in Paris.. the trip changed my life. Amsterdam was the most unbelievable place imaginable.
we are planning on moving to Amsterdam within 6 months. My wife is a french teacher here in Ohio, and can make double working for the European International school system in Amsterdam
plus my life is basically herbals anyway so i think i can do fine lol
the only set back is that we just bought a house 7 or 8 months ago.
so the plan is to rent the house , sell the cars/tvs/furniture and try to find an apartment in Amsterdam for us and our 3 dogs..

Originally Posted by eaalto

I'm in my first week of it right now. I lived in California for the past 25 years. My wife really started getting tired of Southern California, so she started looking for jobs out of state, and landed a job in North Carolina. She flew out on July 12th, I scrambled to secure a job out here, and I flew in on July 26th. She got a 20% increase, I had to take a 20% decrease. Other than her, I have absolutely no one here. All of my immediate family lives in Southern California. All of my friends from high school, college and work live in Southern California. All my new co-workers are simply different. I'm getting by, but I'm kind of having a difficult time adjusting to the culture. It's cool that everybody is so nice, if you want to call it Southern Hospitality, but it's just a huge transition from California. I tried to live it up as much as I could the 2 weeks I had left in California, and it felt like a lifetime while it was happening, but before I knew it I was on the plane. I still wish I could go back and spend time with my close friends.

Do it while you're young and not fully settled because that's probably when it's easiest. I'm still young and I know that there is life outside of California, but it was extremely hard to walk away from all of it. I spent a long time building up friendships, people that I saw daily, and all of that day in/day out chemistry is just out the door. I can still call people, facebook, e-mail, etc., but I am really going to miss the idea of actually really knowing people, reading their faces, etc.

If you don't have any serious ties, go for it. In my case, I'm sort of a kept man, and I have plenty of locations to be flexible with where I work, so I pretty much followed my breadwinner wife.

as a 24 y/o with a full time job, living under my parents roof, i think about this constantly.  i shouldn't complain and should be appreciative of what i have, but i need the move.  i'm excited about the prospect of being on my own.  however, after reading eaalto's post, it kind of made me depressed/have doubts about making a cross country move.

Originally Posted by eaalto

I'm in my first week of it right now. I lived in California for the past 25 years. My wife really started getting tired of Southern California, so she started looking for jobs out of state, and landed a job in North Carolina. She flew out on July 12th, I scrambled to secure a job out here, and I flew in on July 26th. She got a 20% increase, I had to take a 20% decrease. Other than her, I have absolutely no one here. All of my immediate family lives in Southern California. All of my friends from high school, college and work live in Southern California. All my new co-workers are simply different. I'm getting by, but I'm kind of having a difficult time adjusting to the culture. It's cool that everybody is so nice, if you want to call it Southern Hospitality, but it's just a huge transition from California. I tried to live it up as much as I could the 2 weeks I had left in California, and it felt like a lifetime while it was happening, but before I knew it I was on the plane. I still wish I could go back and spend time with my close friends.

Do it while you're young and not fully settled because that's probably when it's easiest. I'm still young and I know that there is life outside of California, but it was extremely hard to walk away from all of it. I spent a long time building up friendships, people that I saw daily, and all of that day in/day out chemistry is just out the door. I can still call people, facebook, e-mail, etc., but I am really going to miss the idea of actually really knowing people, reading their faces, etc.

If you don't have any serious ties, go for it. In my case, I'm sort of a kept man, and I have plenty of locations to be flexible with where I work, so I pretty much followed my breadwinner wife.

as a 24 y/o with a full time job, living under my parents roof, i think about this constantly.  i shouldn't complain and should be appreciative of what i have, but i need the move.  i'm excited about the prospect of being on my own.  however, after reading eaalto's post, it kind of made me depressed/have doubts about making a cross country move.

I'd like to but money is the only thing holdin me back. That and the fact that I can't make that move w/ a family. Don't wanna breed an unstable environment for my daughter

I'd like to but money is the only thing holdin me back. That and the fact that I can't make that move w/ a family. Don't wanna breed an unstable environment for my daughter

Originally Posted by Lamak

Senior year starts in about a week and I thinking about going to a college far away. 
Do it, I really wish I did.
There's no better time to relocate than after senior year of HS... when you show up at the freshman dorms, everyone is in the same situation.
This is exactly where Im at rt now! in 2 weeks I start college and im from MI going to school in TN.  I had always felt the same way as you and was so happy I did it, but now as move-in day nears im gettin crazy nervous about it, because im seriously leaving EVERYBODY and everything I know, but I think I just have pregame jitters and everything will be fine

Originally Posted by Lamak

Senior year starts in about a week and I thinking about going to a college far away. 
Do it, I really wish I did.
There's no better time to relocate than after senior year of HS... when you show up at the freshman dorms, everyone is in the same situation.
This is exactly where Im at rt now! in 2 weeks I start college and im from MI going to school in TN.  I had always felt the same way as you and was so happy I did it, but now as move-in day nears im gettin crazy nervous about it, because im seriously leaving EVERYBODY and everything I know, but I think I just have pregame jitters and everything will be fine

Too much reading to catch up so I'll just speak a bit.

No ties? young? do it man...

Buy a TWO WAY ticket somewhere and just figure it out when you get there.... be social to people and dont be lazy.. you'll make it work.
Make sure you can change your return flight, so if you decide to come back earlier/later it wont be an issue.

Luckily when I was 19 my dad got me on a project with him in Russia. Spent time in Holland and Siberia... crazy experience for two years. I made damn sure I got to know the places I was staying despite working a high-responsibility job.

Too much reading to catch up so I'll just speak a bit.

No ties? young? do it man...

Buy a TWO WAY ticket somewhere and just figure it out when you get there.... be social to people and dont be lazy.. you'll make it work.
Make sure you can change your return flight, so if you decide to come back earlier/later it wont be an issue.

Luckily when I was 19 my dad got me on a project with him in Russia. Spent time in Holland and Siberia... crazy experience for two years. I made damn sure I got to know the places I was staying despite working a high-responsibility job.

Sometimes I think about just getting up and taking my talents to South Beach (or somewhere in FL), but it's just not realistic at this point in my life...

Back
Top Bottom