Anyone Ever Tore/Sprained Their Achillies' Before?

I tore my achilles last December.  Just got back to playing ball last month.  Been playing pretty well too, but the vertical isn't quite where it was before the injury and the leg is still a little weak.  I was lazy with the rehab. 

My doctor did the surgery and I was in a long cast (up my thigh) for 6 weeks then a short cast for another 3 weeks then a walking boot for another 4. It sucked *** and I had to learn how to drive with my left foot haha!  **** cost me a fortune too, if I could go back I might have opted for the non-surgical option.

Good luck!

Thanks, man. Its encouraging to hear you're back to playing ball. I know that's a while off for me, but something to look forward to.

Do you think about your Achilles' at all while you're playing? I feel like I'm going to be tentative when I get back out there since, when I tore my Achilles, it was on just a basic, routine play. Nothing weird happened at all. I know I'm going to have a little fear about getting hurt again.

From the sounds of it, I must have a fairly aggressive doctor. I was in a half cast and on crutches for only 3 weeks after surgery. Then into the walking boot, which I'm still wearing. But the doctor told me yesterday that I can get out of the boot and start physical therapy in about 10 days. So, I will only have been in the boot for about a month by the time I'm done with it.

Anyway, good luck to you on continuing to get that leg stronger.

I actually don't really think about it at all when I'm playing. The only time I think about it is when I try to do something that I can't do at the moment because my leg isn't at 100% strength. For example, I went up for a layup on the left side of the bucket and someone came over to try to block it and usually I just reverse it to the other side of the rim but this time by the time I was just under the net I was almost touching the floor already haha so I just threw it up and air balled it haha!  Other then that it's fine. I'd shoot around for a few months before actually playing though.

I think your doctor is pretty normal. I really think that my doctor was just super conservative.  A lot of the people I know in the medical field were pretty shocked that I had a full cast on.  My doc was an older man probably in his 60s but well known.  I'm sure he just did mine old school… the scar isn't even straight it starts on the right side of my ankle and cuts across where my achilles is then goes down the left side… so weird.

does it give you a warning or does it just pop?

I remember years back when i was more active it used to be slightly sore......nothing painful but I felt it 

does it give you a warning or does it just pop?

No warning for me. It just popped on one play when I went up for a rebound.

That said, at the time I got hurt, I played like 4 days in a row after not playing at all for months and was about 20 pounds more than I should be. I think maybe it was just more strain than my Achilles could handle at the time.

Hope your recovery goes well man.

Thanks, man. I'll be all right. I don't have to be good at hoops. As long as I can get up and down the court for exercise and not embarass myself, I'll be straight. I'll get there.

time to study that antwan jamison game tape 
smokin.gif

best of luck to your recovery!

And your point is? Its only ok to get hurt if you're doing something you're getting paid for? OK.

No my point is you got screwed playing pick up basketball.

My condolences to you and all the non paid pros out there.

Shouldn't have try too hard in meaningless pick up basketball.

No my point is you got screwed playing pick up basketball.

My condolences to you and all the non paid pros out there.

Shouldn't have try too hard in meaningless pick up basketball.

Dude you are so lame it's crazy it's people like you who walking around on a daily basis.

Some people love the game and some get hurt going half ***...so really what is your point?

Dude you are so lame it's crazy it's people like you who walking around on a daily basis.

Some people love the game and some get hurt going half ***...so really what is your point?

The *#? How exactly do you hurt yourself going half ***?

You got love for the game? Cool, just know that you don't get pay a dime if you break your knees or get some other serious injuries. Shouldn't push your body too hard if you have a day job and other responsibilities to take care of.

A guy who play careful and under control is more likely to stay injury free vs a guy who treats any pick up game like his NBA debut.

If you are out of shape or didn't stretch etc though. Sorry i can't help ya. Shouldnt be eating too much because all that weight can put a lot of pressure on your joints and legs.

^^^I don't know why I'm bothering to engage you any more, since you're just spouting nonsense at this point, but you really don't know anything about Achilles' tears. They can happen regardless of how in shape someone is or how "hard" they're playing. It just happens sometimes. Chauncey Billups' Achilles blew when he was just jogging up the court. In a lot of cases, there's no way to prevent it, except I guess if you want to just sit at home all day behind a computer. Some of us don't like to live that way.

Last edited:
ACBoyz sound like a female....guess I shouldn't Bmx or go mountain biking since I work full time? :lol: as long as you have insurance then live life ....if I stay banged up like Steve Nash then I'll fall back

This dude acboyz is the face of what's wrong with niketalk. Its bad enough having to see him in the laker thread and he's Stan like obsession with Kobe is downright sickening and creepy.

Sorry Lawdog, he's the resident ***** laker fan

Hope your recovery goes well man.

Please don't group all Laker fans in with that guy. Every fanbase has its share of Stans and clowns. Unfortunately some just stand out worse then others.

this is @nYcHipHopHippo   changed my name

anyways on topic of getting back to playing ball, i honestly have no desire to play until i'm at peak fitness, if i ever even get there

i love the game, but can't afford to miss school and work again. all achilles tendons aren't created equally. finding out that both Dominique and Gerald Wilkins tore their tendons basically told me that its not just freak occurrences and genetics plays a role.

and even when i do play, unless i have disability insurance and a career going theres no way i'm going hard like i used to.

OP how are you doing now?

when is the estimated timeframe for you to return to normal?

also what did they do in the surgery? do they just sew it back together?

OP how are you doing now?

when is the estimated timeframe for you to return to normal?

also what did they do in the surgery? do they just sew it back together?

Yes, although it's probably a bit more complicated, the doctor told me that they sewed the tendon back together. Apparently, the stitches just stay in there, which is kind of weird.

Anyway, I'm doing all right. I'm six weeks out from surgery and done with a cast and crutches, but still in a walking boot. I'm cleared to start physical therapy next week and will come out of the boot then. As far as how long until I get back to normal, I think it will depend on how diligent I am about rehabbing. But I'm figuring a minimum of 6 months, probably more. I basically feel like I have no strength in the calf of the leg I hurt. It's going to take a while to get it right.

good to hear. im currently coming back from a broken wrist so i kinda can relate. im doing rehab now too, make sure not to neglect ur physical therapy because it actually makes a huge difference.

OP I tore mine in March, two weeks before Kobe did, and I was wearing Kobe 6's when I tore mine, so the whole time I had to hear "Oh you tore yours like Kobe right"? Mine happened on a non contact play. I was driving to the basketball and all I heard was a pop. I had just passed the defender so I thought he tripped me and I was going to f*** him up for pulling a dirty move. I tried to get up and I couldn't stand up, and as im yelling at the guy, everyone else is telling me that he didn't trip me. I didn't know if I was embarrassed that I fell and I couldn't stand or I was in shock but I didn't know what to do. I've never been injured in my life and to be honest I wasn't in pain. I thought maybe I rolled my ankle badly,  so I literally dragged my leg all the way to the car because I couldn't move my foot at all. I iced it at home while reading WebMD on my phone because I didn't know what was wrong. It started to swell pretty bad and I decided to drive myself to the ER. After getting a MRI, it was shown that I had a full rupture of my left Achilles.

After weighing my options over the weekend, I decided to go the non surgical route and get casted. I was in my first cast for 3 weeks and it was positioned at a downward angle to enable the tendon to reattach itself. It was horrible trying to stand with crutches or take a shower with the cast in the position. 3 weeks later, I was fitted for a new cast and the angle wasn't as bad. 3 weeks later I was put in a CAM Boot and it was trying to learn how to walk again. I was in the boot for 2 weeks before the doctor signed me up for physical therapy.   I went to PT for a month and to be honest it was pretty much BS. I did a lot of band exercises and exercises on the reformer machine, but you can do that at home. The most beneficial part for me was getting the massages and stem treatment because that broke up all the scar tissue that had built up. I had gained 10 lbs because of inactivity so as soon as I was put in my boot I hit the gym to work on my upper body and when I started PT, I would do cardio on the Bike and Elliptical.  It's been about 9 months but besides my legs, I feel like I am in the best overall shape of my life. I was in basketball shape when I got injured, but health wise I'm leaps and bounds ahead of where I was 9 months ago.

Last Friday was the first time I played ball and I did a lot better than expected. My game was predicated on speed and quickness before the injury and now I'm modeling my game after Z-Bo lol. I still had some of my quickness and I only had to explode once and I got up there, just not as high as before lol. Im not as quick moving laterally, but I think that will come with time. When I was running outside or on the treadmill, it was only straight and not side to side, so im working on ladder drills right now. I didn't think of my injury when I played, but you just now it doesn't feel the same. You can't play timid or else you're just going to end up hurting yourself. I did wear an ankle brace and played in high tops, so I had the support to ensure my confidence in myself. I still need to work on my J so I don't have to rely on driving to the basket as much. My prognosis was 8-12 months of recovery time, so I think i'll shut down hooping until Feb so I can have time to change my playing style and get comfortable with it.

^^^I don't know why I'm bothering to engage you any more, since you're just spouting nonsense at this point, but you really don't know anything about Achilles' tears. They can happen regardless of how in shape someone is or how "hard" they're playing. It just happens sometimes. Chauncey Billups' Achilles blew when he was just jogging up the court. In a lot of cases, there's no way to prevent it, except I guess if you want to just sit at home all day behind a computer. Some of us don't like to live that way.

So you're saying a normal and healthy achilles just can tear that easily? I think not. Either it was already weakened or something was wrong with it to begin with thus a tear would happen when torque is applied. Age also play a factor. Once again. Don't know why you get all defensive at me. All i said was it sucks to tear an achilles in a pick up game. Which is true. Once again my condolence to your injury.

ACBoyz sound like a female....guess I shouldn't Bmx or go mountain biking since I work full time? :lol: as long as you have insurance then live life ....if I stay banged up like Steve Nash then I'll fall back
I don't have insurance though dawg. That's the thing. Don't yell at me if you don't know ****. Even with insurance i wouldn't want to push my body to the max in a meaningless pick up basketball game. I can still have fun playing at a optimal speed. Other than cardio exercise I get no reward out from a pick up game. Nobody really cares if you win the game. But if you end up with a broken knee or whatever then that's on you. Why play so hard for no reward? I rolled my ankles so many times when i used to play with a carefree attitude. Driving to the lanes in traffic, jumping over people for rebound etc and landed on dudes foot. I'm not going to all that pain again for meaningless pick up game.

This dude acboyz is the face of what's wrong with niketalk. Its bad enough having to see him in the laker thread and he's Stan like obsession with Kobe is downright sickening and creepy.
LOL you keep following me everywhere huh? All of sudden now Kobe is in the conversation. What the hell is wrong with you should be the main question.

Last edited:
You originally brought your idol up. Nothing's wrong with me at all papi. Not sure how replying to a clownish post on a public fourm that caught my eye off how foolish it sounded only to realize it came from a member who routinely says some of the most rediculous stuff known to man would be considered following them. My bad ill just ignore foolish posts from now on.

Back
Top Bottom