Anyone Ever Tore/Sprained Their Achillies' Before?

About a year ago I was playing ball and while driving to the basket, when my left heel hit the ground I felt a pain shoot up my Achilles tendon, but also to my midfoot. So as I went to jump off my left foot in that same step, I lost all vertical and strength. I kept playing because I could still put all weight and pressure on just that leg so I figured I didn't tear the tendon. I stopped hooping/running for a few months after that to rest. Now, nearly a year later, I have played ball a few times and I still have almost no vert just jumping off that foot and after I run or play, I have some pain in the tendon and midfoot. The only thing I can think of is a combination of a partially ruptured Achilles tendon that hasn't healed and a Lisfranc injury. I need to get it checked out but just started a new job and absolutely cannot afford to miss any time.

About a year ago I was playing ball and while driving to the basket, when my left heel hit the ground I felt a pain shoot up my Achilles tendon, but also to my midfoot. So as I went to jump off my left foot in that same step, I lost all vertical and strength. I kept playing because I could still put all weight and pressure on just that leg so I figured I didn't tear the tendon. I stopped hooping/running for a few months after that to rest. Now, nearly a year later, I have played ball a few times and I still have almost no vert just jumping off that foot and after I run or play, I have some pain in the tendon and midfoot. The only thing I can think of is a combination of a partially ruptured Achilles tendon that hasn't healed and a Lisfranc injury. I need to get it checked out but just started a new job and absolutely cannot afford to miss any time.

Your experience sounds similar to mine, but over a longer time frame. I went to one MD about 4 days after I initially hurt myself and that doctor told me he didn't think I tore my Achilles'. So, I went for about 3 weeks just letting my leg try to heal on its own. Once the swelling went down and the pain decreased, I actually played ball a few times. My leg didn't really hurt, except on certain movements, but it was like I was playing on one leg. No strength at all in my lower left leg. Couldn't jump or push off hard off that leg. Since I didn't feel like the leg was getting any better, I decided to get a second opinion and that's when I found out my Achilles' actually was torn.

Based on my experience, from what you described, I think you probably do have at least a partially torn Achilles'. You should get it checked out when you feel like you have the time. Since you're so far out from the initial injury, I don't think any doctor will rush you into surgery.

Also, here's a little test you can do to figure out if something is really wrong. In my case, when the Achilles' was torn, I could feel a little gap/soft spot on the back of my leg where Achilles' should have been. If you have something like that, you probably have at least a partial rupture.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom