anyone going dairy-free? I wanna go for a month vol. almond breeze

BdeaZy wrote:
JTPlatnum wrote:
i'm dairy free. been dairy free almost a year and a half.

What have you noticed?
i did it going on 2 yrs until sunday... ate ice cream and it ucked me up... im still sick and itting like crazy... i havent had mudbutt this bad that i could ever recall. even what i drink comes out in liquid poop. i guess if you dont intake diary for a long time your body becomes lactose intolerant in a sense

damn, seems like a lot of you guys have more willpower than me. i could never go non-dairy. a nice spanish cheese with some jamon serrano and good bread and olive oil is one of my all time favorite meal/snacks

Originally Posted by Hanacheezy

def gonna cut back on it for acne purposes
good post altogether

I gave up dairy about 9 months ago after reading a thread on NT about some girl who gave up dairy to help her acne.    I stopped for 3 weeks when I went to Italy(I wasn't gonna go to Italy and not have cheese and gelato) I have definitely seen an improvement.   Going DF wasn't too hard since I never really drank milk.  Giving up the cheese and butter was the hard part.

any dairy free protein powders? looking to get off dairy for good during lent

To me, you can't go wrong with hemp protein:  
2010081811104046355_med.jpg

http://manitobaharvest.com/product/65/Certified-Organic-Dark-Chocolate-Hemp-Protein-Powder-16oz.html It includes all of the essential amino acids, a near optimal balance of omega 3,6, and 9 EFAs, it has no cholesterol, and it's low in fat. 

I used it for awhile and have no complaints. 

My preference, however, is for the Vega supplements I mentioned in my previous post: 

vega-wfho-sm.jpg

http://myvega.com/products/whole-food-health-optimizer/features-benefits

It provides an outstanding combination of all around nutrition and convenience and was designed by Ironman and ultra-marathon champion Brendan Brazier:  http://www.brendanbrazier.com/vega/index.html

It's not cheap, but, then, it isn't just a dried up waste product, like whey, either.  

Silk chocolate or vanilla flavor is the *+! in my book
Been dairy free for about 3 months now. Loving it

^Which flavor would you recommend for starters? No preference.
Chocolate's the only flavor I've tried, since I usually just buy the largest containers and that's made me a bit risk averse, but it's perfectly fine.  

Been dairy free for a year now. Night and day difference.
I used to have a bit of persistent acne that never cleared up: gone 3 weeks after going dairy free.

I actually figured out I'm slightly lactose intolerant (probably as a result of over consumption of milk/whey when bulking) : ever since I stopped, I stopped getting mad gas and farting all the time, plus no more diarrhea and terrible stomach aches. 

The one part was that I was skepticle about, is the whole paleo diet claim that we aren't evolutionary adapted yet to consume milk (it's a very new part of our diet), so I went and asked a nutritionist from one of our med classes and she agreed with it on the whole. 

So overall, while it may not give everyone the same benefits, it made my life that much better. Just make sure to get enough Calcium and Vit D (not all milk substitutes have the vit D added)

What is the most protein dense thing you vegans eat? I considered it, but would keep dairy like greek yogurt or cottage cheese because of its protein density. I know people always say nuts or beans, but nuts are way too fat and calorie dense for like 9g of protein per serving to 16g of fat and 160 calories (comparibly ff plain yogurt is like 120 calories, 12 grams protein, 0 fat) and beans have even less but more fiber, so I always imagine vegans are really regular.

Originally Posted by Method Man

To me, you can't go wrong with hemp protein:  
2010081811104046355_med.jpg

http://manitobaharvest.com/product/65/Certified-Organic-Dark-Chocolate-Hemp-Protein-Powder-16oz.html It includes all of the essential amino acids, a near optimal balance of omega 3,6, and 9 EFAs, it has no cholesterol, and it's low in fat. 

I used it for awhile and have no complaints. 

My preference, however, is for the Vega supplements I mentioned in my previous post: 

vega-wfho-sm.jpg

http://myvega.com/products/whole-food-health-optimizer/features-benefits

It provides an outstanding combination of all around nutrition and convenience and was designed by Ironman and ultra-marathon champion Brendan Brazier:  http://www.brendanbrazier.com/vega/index.html

It's not cheap, but, then, it isn't just a dried up waste product, like whey, either.  

seen that hemp protein, kinda worried about taste
ohwell.gif
and low amount of protein.

did you mix it with water? will look into it

Meth, with the vega stuff, what did you mix it with? which flavors have you tried? really interested after reading reviews and what not. i know its not gonna taste good but im thinking of mixing it with bananas and maybe almond milk and make a nice little smoothie.

What do those of you who are vegan, eat post workout?
What is the most protein dense thing you vegans eat? I considered it, but would keep dairy like greek yogurt or cottage cheese because of its protein density. I know people always say nuts or beans, but nuts are way too fat and calorie dense for like 9g of protein per serving to 16g of fat and 160 calories (comparibly ff plain yogurt is like 120 calories, 12 grams protein, 0 fat) and beans have even less but more fiber, so I always imagine vegans are really regular.

Meth, with the vega stuff, what did you mix it with? which flavors have you tried? really interested after reading reviews and what not. i know its not gonna taste good but im thinking of mixing it with bananas and maybe almond milk and make a nice little smoothie.

They suggest mixing it with water, but I use the Tempt brand hemp milk in original flavor mentioned earlier.  I use the chocolate flavor Vega supplement and the taste is fine.  

When I used to use the hemp protein mix, I would always throw in fresh berries, because that does need a little help, but the Vega is designed to work well on its own and I've found that to be the case.  I'd give it a try with some hemp or almond milk and if you feel the need to add any fruit etc. to it you can always do so to taste. 

It depends on what you're looking to do.  Some people try to stay away from processed foods and prefer to go with a pure, raw vegan diet.  If you're primarily interested in protein density, there are plenty of easy to prepare products out there that would fit the bill, including seitan and Gardein.  

I would check this site out and review the information and meal plans there to find something that best meets your individual needs:  

http://veganbodybuilding.com/?page=food

i'm trying to be completely dairy free but i do have have cheese on mexican and pizza (only every so often). cheesecake is one of my only pleasures in life 
frown.gif
i drink rice milk however all of them seem to contain soy which i wanna avoid and trader joe's rice is made on shared equipment with nuts (allergic). they also have synthetic forms  of vitamins which i've  read about being bad.....vitamin a palmitate, vitamin D2, vitamin B12. theres also sunflower oil which im iffy about

Consuming too much synthetic or naturally occurring vitamin A palmitate can pose a health risk. Excess vitamin A palmitate can begin to accumulate in your liver, causing liver damage as well as a number of negative side effects, including a risk of brain damage. In addition, excessive vitamin A palmitate consumption can harm a developing fetus, increasing the risk of birth defects. To prevent negative side effects when consuming vitamin A palmitate, talk to your doctor to discuss a safe intake level.
Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/518650-is-vitamin-a-palmitate-natural/#ixzz1lB0bQUxE

Vitamin A palmitate is a synthetic version of the vitamin A that occurs naturally in animal food sources. It was developed to fortify low-fat and fat-free dairy products, whose natural vitamin A has been stripped away in the fat-removal process. Palmitate originates in palm oil but undergoes so many chemical changes that the result can barely be called a derivative of the oil 
vo

vitamin D2 is the synthetic form of vitamin D......D3 is the naturally  occurring stuff you get from the sun

hemp milk is extremely expensive and coconut milk has guar gum

what the  heck can i do?
frown.gif

meth, i got a sample of the chocolate vega and mixed it with water. my goodness, quite possibly one of the worst tastes ive ever experienced.

what the hell can i do to make it more palatable and taste good so i can actually down it?

Back
Top Bottom