Anyone have this pet peeve? People seasoning their foods before tasting...

The entire area of people salting/peppering/cheesing/etc up their foods bothers me lately.

Here's a couple of different scenarios where I'm bothered...

1) You goto a pizza place with great pie, get a slice or two and before dudes even bite into it they throw a pound of garlic salt, hot pepper flakes, grosscheap-@#* parmesan, and whatever else on the pizza.

They might as well just be eating cardboard at that point, because you no longer can taste the pizza.

2) A person gets a nice steak at a great little steakhouse. Before taking a bite, they dump A-1 sauce (or worse, but not untrue - KETCHUP) all over theirnice piece of steak... essentially making it into some kind of fast food reject cut of meat.

3) You order some kind of special of the day dish at a place and a person just salts the thing to death before they take one bite.

I just sit here watching these people like..
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif
sick.gif
eyes.gif

For one... food is made to be eaten the way it's been made. If it tasted better with all this stuff on it, that's how the recipe would be made by theguys who knows how to make the meals. The fact that it doesn't come with that stuff on it should probably tell you that it's not how the dish isintended to taste.

Two - if you really deem that an item needs more of some type of seasoning, since you probably are some type of chef-genius yourself
eyes.gif
, put it on AFTER you taste it. Don't be seasoning things before tastingthem first.

Lastly - it's more likely that you prefer the taste of the seasonings than the actual food items themselves, and you could save yourself a lot of money ifyou just stayed him and ate those seasonings straight up instead of ruining great food with your cheap trailer-park taste-aids.
laugh.gif

/end rant.

You do you.

Who cares about what other people do to their food. If it tastes good to you, then leave it. Different people have different tastes.

If you really have a problem with it, why don't you go confront someone who's guilty of this seasoning crime?

This is such an unnecessary thing to be angry about.

Why should someone eat something the way it comes just because "that's the way it was intended to taste"? People can't have their ownopinions on taste preference?

Dude is mad about people seasoning their steak and pizza......

Srsly?

Its one thing to be angered by this phenomenon if it were happening in some upscale restaurant where the food is really is supposed to tasted the way it wasmade; But you're talking about a steakhouse/pizzeria....

So what? It's not like the people at those kind of mundane eateries really take making the food to heart.....

Stop it...

Originally Posted by The Yes Guy

Why should someone eat something the way it comes just because "that's the way it was intended to taste"? People can't have their own opinions on taste preference?

I'm not "angry", it's just a pet peeve.... an annoyance, because they justify it the way you just did.

Like I said - if you really don't like the way a person prepares something for you, season away. But people season before they taste most of the time.

And who knows taste better? A trained chef, or a douche bag who likes ketchup on their steak?
grin.gif

Srsly?

Its one thing to be angered by this phenomenon if it were happening in some upscale restaurant where the food is really is supposed to tasted the way it was made; But you're talking about a steakhouse/pizzeria....

So what? It's not like the people at those kind of mundane eateries really take making the food to heart.....

Stop it...

I love this attitude on here... "you're upset about something that doesn't upset me? that upsets me!"

You guys are too funny with the irony sometimes.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Why should someone eat something the way it comes just because "that's the way it was intended to taste"? People can't have their own opinions on taste preference?

I'm not "angry", it's just a pet peeve.... an annoyance, because they justify it the way you just did.

Like I said - if you really don't like the way a person prepares something for you, season away. But people season before they taste most of the time.

And who knows taste better? A trained chef, or a douche bag who likes ketchup on their steak?
grin.gif

Srsly?

Its one thing to be angered by this phenomenon if it were happening in some upscale restaurant where the food is really is supposed to tasted the way it was made; But you're talking about a steakhouse/pizzeria....

Stop it...

I love this attitude on here... "you're upset about something that doesn't upset me? that upsets me!"

laugh.gif

Whats most wrong with your point is that youre assuming these people are eating these foods for the first time... If I always go to __ pizza placeand I always put ___ on the pizza, Im not going to taste it everytime before I season it...

Originally Posted by AgentArenas

God forbid someone eat their food in the manner theyd prefer to.

God forbid people just eat food the way it's prepared..
grin.gif

you ham and eggers look ******ed when you're dumping garlic all over a slice of pizza.

Whats most wrong with your point is that youre assuming these people are eating these foods for the first time... If I always go to __ pizza place and I always put ___ on the pizza, Im not going to taste it everytime before I season it...
Why are you still going there if you don't like the pizza the way it comes out though?
laugh.gif

Seems petty, some people just like their food to taste a certain way.

Exactly... some people just like all their food to taste the SAME way. like cheap seasonings.
roll.gif

i bet you hate it the most when people do it to the food you cook them,
almost thumbing their nose at your judgement of flavor...

maybe you are a bad cook

grin.gif

Srsly?

Stop it...

laugh.gif

I'm not upset with you. I actually agree with you to an extent...

It's just that when I'm at a steakhouse or pizzeria it's whatever....

But if I'm about to enjoy a nice home cooked meal or go to an expensive upscale restaurant where I know the chef takes the food to heart I'll leave thefood as it is.

You make it sound like you'd sit there and eat dry french fries because that's the way they were made.
laugh.gif

What if I'm familiar with the taste of the food before it was seasoned? Are you just going to look at me and assume that I'm tasteless because I addwhatever condiments I please? That's a pretty snide generalization and saying that we're douche bags is unappreciated. Get back onto your high horseand go away.

Sauces on steaks urks me. Dry rub is just the best on any piece of steak. If your enjoying a nice piece of meat, ny strip, filet mignon etcc that A1 just killsit imo

But i do disagree with you on the pizza. Why would any1 need to take a bite out of their slice to add red pepper flakes to it. If your ordering a reg slice youknow the sauce won't be spicey. I enjoy red pepper every now and than on my pizza.

grin.gif

you ham and eggers look ******ed when you're dumping garlic all over a slice of pizza.

Whats most wrong with your point is that youre assuming these people are eating these foods for the first time... If I always go to __ pizza place and I always put ___ on the pizza, Im not going to taste it everytime before I season it...
Why are you still going there if you don't like the pizza the way it comes out though?
laugh.gif

Exactly... some people just like all their food to taste the SAME way. like cheap seasonings.
roll.gif

Thats not "not liking how it comes out" (no ayo), thats supplementing the pizza. Im not pulling mozzarella cheese out of my pocket inthe middle of dinner - ITS PLACED ON THE TABLE. Its a common used, socially accepted topping - no different from ketchup on fries.

You get pissed at people who dont drink straight black coffee? Same concept.

Originally Posted by bkdan1

What if I'm familiar with the taste of the food before it was seasoned? Are you just going to look at me and assume that I'm tasteless because I add whatever condiments I please? That's a pretty snide generalization and saying that we're douche bags is unappreciated. Get back onto your high horse and go away.

QFT.

grin.gif

laugh.gif

roll.gif

Thats not "not liking how it comes out" (no ayo), thats supplementing the pizza. Im not pulling mozzarella cheese out of my pocket in the middle of dinner - ITS PLACED ON THE TABLE. Its a common used, socially accepted topping - no different from ketchup on fries.

If i see somebody dump a quart of milk and 5 cups of sugar into a cup of coffee i think to myself "why doesn't think person just go order a hotchocolate, they obviously dont' like the taste of coffee".

How am I wrong in thinking so?

If i see somebody pour a bunch of A-1 over a nice steak, they obviously prefer the taste of A-1 to their steak.

I think the heart of the matter here is that you guys all do the things I'm accusing you of... and everyone's getting a little tight at being calledout.

Right, everyone is wrong and you are right and we are insecure because some of us listen to what we want rather than simply going with how a chef prepared thefood. If a chef doesn't know me, why would he know my taste buds? It's stupid to not augment something in a way that will make me like it more justbecause I didn't go to culinary school or something.

grin.gif

laugh.gif

roll.gif
Thats not "not liking how it comes out" (no ayo), thats supplementing the pizza. Im not pulling mozzarella cheese out of my pocket in the middle of dinner - ITS PLACED ON THE TABLE. Its a common used, socially accepted topping - no different from ketchup on fries.

If i see somebody dump a quart of milk and 5 cups of sugar into a cup of coffee i think to myself "why doesn't think person just go order a hot chocolate, they obviously dont' like the taste of coffee".

How am I wrong in thinking so?

If i see somebody pour a bunch of A-1 over a nice steak, they obviously prefer the taste of A-1 to their steak.

I think the heart of the matter here is that you guys all do the things I'm accusing you of... and everyone's getting a little tight at being called out.

See now though you're bringing up extreme examples. You're making it sound like everywhere you go you're seeing people dump a load ofmilk and sugar into their coffees.

That's a reach and an exaggeration.

Your argument isn't exactly holding up.

Back
Top Bottom