Anyone here NOT stocking up on canned food, weapons? (seriously)

dirty, are you hinting that gold is a 'bad' investment? do tell...

i've always wanted to buy a gun, this is just an excuse to make that happen
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by finnns2003

yes.
gold purely as an investment sucks..the only recent gains have been in the last several yrs...overall it's track record is poor.

...but if you want to stockpile real gold - as in coins.. that's fine...BUT...realize that it's only as good as its ability to be used as currency.

When the world around you collapses...what is gold going to do for you? ....Commodities (water, food, energy) will be the "currency" of a collapsedworld.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

yes.
gold purely as an investment sucks..the only recent gains have been in the last several yrs...overall it's track record is poor.

...but if you want to stockpile real gold - as in coins.. that's fine...BUT...realize that it's only as good as its ability to be used as currency.

When the world around you collapses...what is gold going to do for you? ....Commodities (water, food, energy) will be the "currency" of a collapsed world.

What about as a store of value forget gains. The idea now is just to preserve captial. But anyway I am more for investing in the actual metal so we agree.

Eh...if worse comes to worse I'll be posted in the moutains hunting for deer and fishing...

When things get better...I'll move back.

It'll be like a long camping trip.

Originally Posted by AirCommanderMarsFiend

Eh...if worse comes to worse I'll be posted in the moutains hunting for deer and fishing...

When things get better...I'll move back.

It'll be like a long camping trip.

Everglades ftw ftl

I got my guns i just need a lil more ammo. So whos willing to buy me some .223/5.56x45
happy.gif

Economist Provides an Update.. READ THESE THREE LITTLE PARAGRAPHS TO GRASP THE SITUATION

MARKETS in Asia and Europe plummeted on Friday October 10th. Japan's stockmarket ended the week in disarray: the Nikkei 225-share index fell by 24% on theweek, twice the weekly fall of the 1987 crash. It is now at five-and-a-half-year lows. Europe followed suit. London's FTSE 100 slumped by more than 10%within minutes of opening; by mid-morning European stocks were also down, with Germany's DAX index down by more than 8%. Amid widespread anxiety the oilprice also tumbled, to around $81 a barrel, its lowest level in a year.

The falls underline that stockmarkets, traumatised by the near-paralysis in credit markets, the collapse of once-mighty banks and the prospect of globalrecession, are suffering what has been dubbed a "cascading crash": a series of blows which, added together, are stomach-churning.

Wall Street is unimpressed by the TARP, America's much-vaunted $700-billion bail-out. The Dow Jones Industrial Average had plunged by 679 points, or 7.3%on Thursday. Nor are markets reassured by a bevy of bank rescues, a co-ordinated rate cut by the world's leading central banks, the Federal Reserve'sradical decision to buy commercial paper, Britain's £500 billion ($861 billion) bail-out package, nor the raft of piecemeal rescues by other Europeangovernments. On Thursday the International Monetary Fund activated a procedure to offer emergency loans to threatened countries, such as Iceland, which tookover its largest bank on Thursday.

http://www.economist.com/...5370&source=features_box2

No need for a gun.

I got a
baseball bat
my fist
and my dog

and food

I got

ramen
Salt & Vin. Chips
cheese puffs
Rice

glasses.gif

Sword Fight!

No really you're missing the point. Its not about having 1,000 rounds more than anyone else. Its just about protecting yourself and your food stuffs.I'm not saying its going to happen in 12 days. Hell I'm not even saying its going to happen at all. But IF it were to happen (and it may not be today,it may not be in a few days, it may not even be in a year, it could be a slow decline [City State of Rome in its entire capacity was sacked for 11 years beforeit tumbled, in the meantime it was a slow decline to living like animals, this is re: Rome, not the Holy Roman Empire that emerged from the ashes in the East)IF it were to happen then its best to have some protection. Things will probably eventually pick up, but during the post-katrina'@$% anarchy it would bebest to deter mobs by showing you're armed (a la Korean Liquor store owners in South Central that stood on their rooftops with shotguns during the riots)or better yet NOT showing you have anything a valuable (just hide your *#$*$*$ food stuffs and don't make a big deal out of them) and having weapons onlyin case anyone gets wind of your goods.

You know why people make posts like this on forums?

The same reason people go in the Jordan forum and post "I think the new _____ are cool, I don't know why everyone is hating"

They want everyone to feel the same way they do, so they don't feel as stupid.

You want to stock up on canned goods and weapons? Good for you chief. But to say the least, a large, LARGE portion of us are not going to do that.

The US is in an economic crisis, you're talking about paper money being worthless soon, and you want to keep spending on canned food and weapons and ammo?

No thanks chief. I'll keep living it how it is, if something bad happens, I'll look to the man above, say a few prayers, and then improvise.

You're going to be like that lady in Baton Rouge during Hurricane Gustav who made a $900 grocery bill of canned goods and now has enough canned goods untilthe actual apocalypse.

I totally disagree that gold as an investment 'sucks', especially in these rough economic times. I don't suggest taking all your cash and buyinggold bullion, but it's good to have at least an ounce of gold.
Why invest in gold?

- The dollar is weak and getting weaker due to national economic policies which don't appear to have an end.
- Gold price appreciation makes up for lost interest, especially in a bull market.
- The last five years are the beginning of a major bull move similar to the 70's when gold moved from $38 to over $800.
- Central banks in several countries have stated their intent to increase their gold holdings instead of selling.
- The trend of commodity prices to increase is relative to gold price increases.
- Worldwide gold production is not matching consumption. The price will go up with demand.
- Most gold consumption is done in India and China and their demand is increasing with their increase in national wealth.
- Several gold funds reached all-time highs in 2007 and are still trending upward.

U.S. government economic policies over the past decade have systematically projected the U.S. economy down a road with uncontrollable federal spending andan uncontrollably increase in trade deficits. Both will cause the dollar to lose in international value and will increase the price of alternative investments,such as gold. With the recent devaluation of many international currencies, the U.S. dollar was the international safe haven of last resort. We are seeingsigns of this ending due to many financial factors, the most important one being a falling dollar.

There are over One Trillion dollars ($1,500,000,000,000) of U.S. debt owned by foreigners which could be repatriated under certain conditions. This couldcause a major decline in the value of the dollar and a soaring gold price.

Do realize that before the US convinced the world to value and trade in the once almighty dollar, the world was using gold as the standard up until 1971.Sure, you can find individual stocks out there such as Google that outperform the value of gold. Gold is good to own at certain periods of time. I'm notsaying you should hold it forever, but right now is a good time to have gold.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

yes.

When the world around you collapses...what is gold going to do for you? ....Commodities (water, food, energy) will be the "currency" of a collapsed world.
good point, although i'd think if paper currencies fail...

Back
Top Bottom