Anyone Know any fraternities initiation rituals and process?

Ehh, if you really wanna know why not:

Matches- Recite fraternity knowledge holding a match, try to finish without getting burned. Not too bad, took 7 matches. Fingers burnt for about a month and a half.

Apples- Eat 2 raw onion covered with sriracha, wasabi, and anything hot they can get a hold of. Worst day of my life, but taught me a lot about myself- what I could/ couldn't do.

Paddling- Take a 100+ swats at one time. Most emotional event watching your pledge bros go through it. Definitely one of the highlights of your life when you're done.

There's more, but these are some of the more extreme.
Plus getting worked out for 5+ hours every Sunday and randomly throughout the week.

You have to realize that a fraternity with true TRADITION will have meaning behind these exercises. They are there to show you what you can and can't do, to humble you and build you at the same time. A fraternity that pledges correctly doesn't do random sadistic stuff for fun, but teaches pledges and builds them into men. "Gay" stuff isn't as prominent in the chapters on our campus, and non-existent in my chapter.

If you're pledging a fraternity that knows what they are doing you should never be in "real" danger. The point is to push you past what you thought were your limits and to make you a better man, not to kill you. I've met our chapter alumni who are lawyers, doctors and accountants who've done the same things I did 20 years ago. Respect the TRADITION and what the program has to teach you.

I have no problem sharing these as it's pretty common knowledge if you're in Greek Life already, its an open secret among girls and guys.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

laugh.gif
  This thread is full of mis-information and assumptions but that's always the case when it comes to these fraternity/sorority threads.  Classic case of the blind leading the blind.  If it's for you.....then it's for you, if it's not for you.......then it's not for you.  Just leave it at that.
What was said that is mis-information. The link I provided listed things that were reported. The people that were told things by others isn't a direct representation of ALL groups. So what are you speaking of that is mis-information?

laugh.gif
  This thread is full of mis-information and assumptions but that's always the case when it comes to these fraternity/sorority threads.  Classic case of the blind leading the blind.  If it's for you.....then it's for you, if it's not for you.......then it's not for you.  Just leave it at that.
What was said that is mis-information. The link I provided listed things that were reported. The people that were told things by others isn't a direct representation of ALL groups. So what are you speaking of that is mis-information?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

laugh.gif
Here, I'll help you out. Any time you have a situation when people report something, you have to consider a few things: A. Why are they reporting this?  Maybe someone went through the pledging process, didn't get selected, and got mad. Or perhaps they did get accepted, but were kicked out because they didn't abide by the rules, or they weren't liked by the other people involved in the organization. Whatever the case, they were the ones who were deemed "unfit," and whenever that's the case people tend to get emotional. Exaggerating the truth, lies, etc can be the product of that kind of stuff.

B. Is the situation they were involved in legitimate? Perhaps, knowing that a certain person that was rushing was NOT going to get chosen, the frat members subjected them to different treatment from the rest of the people pledging. I've played on various sports teams and when you're a starter/key player, you get treated a LOT differently than the run of the mill players. But even they get treated better than the bench warmers; and those types are usually the ones who get shoved in a locker or have their equipment pissed on. Metaphorically speaking, maybe the people who weren't going to make the cut from the get go had their "equipment pissed on."

C. Are they trustworthy? Usually, when people complain/report about something, they do it because they feel wronged. Typically, people can shrug it off and continue living. However, some people feel it's only necessary to spread as much false and negative information as humanly possible to "get back" at someone/something. Get enough of disgruntled rushers and any campus organization could have a numerous amount of rumors. It's not too far fetched that someone would spread a rumor around after not being chosen. I've seen it done for much, much less.

I don't even know about frats, but I'm sure that not nearly as much ayo stuff goes down as some people think.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

laugh.gif
Here, I'll help you out. Any time you have a situation when people report something, you have to consider a few things: A. Why are they reporting this?  Maybe someone went through the pledging process, didn't get selected, and got mad. Or perhaps they did get accepted, but were kicked out because they didn't abide by the rules, or they weren't liked by the other people involved in the organization. Whatever the case, they were the ones who were deemed "unfit," and whenever that's the case people tend to get emotional. Exaggerating the truth, lies, etc can be the product of that kind of stuff.

B. Is the situation they were involved in legitimate? Perhaps, knowing that a certain person that was rushing was NOT going to get chosen, the frat members subjected them to different treatment from the rest of the people pledging. I've played on various sports teams and when you're a starter/key player, you get treated a LOT differently than the run of the mill players. But even they get treated better than the bench warmers; and those types are usually the ones who get shoved in a locker or have their equipment pissed on. Metaphorically speaking, maybe the people who weren't going to make the cut from the get go had their "equipment pissed on."

C. Are they trustworthy? Usually, when people complain/report about something, they do it because they feel wronged. Typically, people can shrug it off and continue living. However, some people feel it's only necessary to spread as much false and negative information as humanly possible to "get back" at someone/something. Get enough of disgruntled rushers and any campus organization could have a numerous amount of rumors. It's not too far fetched that someone would spread a rumor around after not being chosen. I've seen it done for much, much less.

I don't even know about frats, but I'm sure that not nearly as much ayo stuff goes down as some people think.

Originally Posted by rashi

Kappas have a competition where they stick their canes up their #@% and who can take it the most.

I keed, I keed
I hate that Rumor about us, That %%*! is NOT True

Originally Posted by rashi

Kappas have a competition where they stick their canes up their #@% and who can take it the most.

I keed, I keed
I hate that Rumor about us, That %%*! is NOT True

Originally Posted by ekon one

Matches- Recite fraternity knowledge holding a match, try to finish without getting burned. Not too bad, took 7 matches. Fingers burnt for about a month and a half.

Apples- Eat 2 raw onion covered with sriracha, wasabi, and anything hot they can get a hold of. Worst day of my life, but taught me a lot about myself- what I could/ couldn't do.

Paddling- Take a 100+ swats at one time. Most emotional event watching your pledge bros go through it. Definitely one of the highlights of your life when you're done.

Plus getting worked out for 5+ hours every Sunday and randomly throughout the week.

You have to realize that a fraternity with true TRADITION will have meaning behind these exercises. They are there to show you what you can and can't do, to humble you and build you at the same time. A fraternity that pledges correctly doesn't do random sadistic stuff for fun, but teaches pledges and builds them into men. "Gay" stuff isn't as prominent in the chapters on our campus, and non-existent in my chapter.

If you're pledging a fraternity that knows what they are doing you should never be in "real" danger. The point is to push you past what you thought were your limits and to make you a better man, not to kill you. I've met our chapter alumni who are lawyers, doctors and accountants who've done the same things I did 20 years ago. Respect the TRADITION and what the program has to teach you.

I have no problem sharing these as it's pretty common knowledge if you're in Greek Life already, its an open secret among girls and guys.

wat u pledge I see yall rolled kinda hard, we did alot of the same thing. And our dean told us the same thing that everything had a reason behind it.

wat u pledge I see yall rolled kinda hard, we did alot of the same thing. And our dean told us the same thing that everything had a reason behind it.

Originally Posted by eashawty

he said theyd call him at random times & be like "i want sum zaxbys" so he had to go get it for em & when he gave it to em theyd be like "its cold go get me sum more". 

one time i was hanging out with my old manager (who happened to be in a frat alum) and they were drunk and were like....lets call so and so and make them bring us some food. it was like 1 am. i was like
laugh.gif
, if anybody tells me that while im in bed id say $%$# you

Originally Posted by eashawty

he said theyd call him at random times & be like "i want sum zaxbys" so he had to go get it for em & when he gave it to em theyd be like "its cold go get me sum more". 

one time i was hanging out with my old manager (who happened to be in a frat alum) and they were drunk and were like....lets call so and so and make them bring us some food. it was like 1 am. i was like
laugh.gif
, if anybody tells me that while im in bed id say $%$# you

Kinda sad that you would share these things, "if they really happened to you".  I know people that were on sports teams that would never openly share rituals that they performed with the team.
laugh.gif

Whatever, word is not bond anymore i suppose, especially because its so easy to hide behind a screen and let your fingers do the work. 

Kinda sad that you would share these things, "if they really happened to you".  I know people that were on sports teams that would never openly share rituals that they performed with the team.
laugh.gif

Whatever, word is not bond anymore i suppose, especially because its so easy to hide behind a screen and let your fingers do the work. 

Yup.
You can't really hate on the guy who decided to share rituals. Let him do him. All sorts of people have broken their code of ethnics in this day and age, especially on NT. Smashing other people's GFs, stealing people's iPods like they're Young Dro and much more.

I knew a good number of folks in Asian, Latino, Black, and White Frats/Sorors. Not everyone falls under the usual stereotype of frat or soror. There are some good and bad apples (no pun intended).

Yup.
You can't really hate on the guy who decided to share rituals. Let him do him. All sorts of people have broken their code of ethnics in this day and age, especially on NT. Smashing other people's GFs, stealing people's iPods like they're Young Dro and much more.

I knew a good number of folks in Asian, Latino, Black, and White Frats/Sorors. Not everyone falls under the usual stereotype of frat or soror. There are some good and bad apples (no pun intended).

Originally Posted by YouMadYouBad

laugh.gif

Like I said, it's an open secret. It's not important that people outside know, but instead what you learn from it. I go to a Top 25 university with a big Greek system, none of this is surprising to anyone who's already in Greek Life. We openly talk about it with girls and the mindset is that "if no one has been been hurt in my chapter's 20 year history and we've turned out doctors and lawyers, we must be doing something right" (however wrong that may be).
Secrecy isn't as a big of a deal with Fraternities as outside people think, it's not the Illuminati or a Secret Society (though I know Black Fraternities are a lot more guarded, but in the end they do a lot of the same things). You have to realize it boils down to a group of 18-21 year olds who want to party every weekend, make friends, and do good in school- the hazing/pledging process is only a very small part of what a fraternity is or does. 

Originally Posted by YouMadYouBad

laugh.gif

Like I said, it's an open secret. It's not important that people outside know, but instead what you learn from it. I go to a Top 25 university with a big Greek system, none of this is surprising to anyone who's already in Greek Life. We openly talk about it with girls and the mindset is that "if no one has been been hurt in my chapter's 20 year history and we've turned out doctors and lawyers, we must be doing something right" (however wrong that may be).
Secrecy isn't as a big of a deal with Fraternities as outside people think, it's not the Illuminati or a Secret Society (though I know Black Fraternities are a lot more guarded, but in the end they do a lot of the same things). You have to realize it boils down to a group of 18-21 year olds who want to party every weekend, make friends, and do good in school- the hazing/pledging process is only a very small part of what a fraternity is or does. 

Thanks for sharing... but damn, that sounds like a bad time. 
30t6p3b.gif
 Dudes must be extra thirsty for friends.
Most of the frat dudes I knew at U of Minnesota were socially awkward and couldn't make friends any other way... or losers that go on power trips once they achieve a "rank" or other positition of power and take it all ultra-seriously ... or rich suburban kids that do coke and get with MAD sorority girls. Usually one of those three.

Thanks for sharing... but damn, that sounds like a bad time. 
30t6p3b.gif
 Dudes must be extra thirsty for friends.
Most of the frat dudes I knew at U of Minnesota were socially awkward and couldn't make friends any other way... or losers that go on power trips once they achieve a "rank" or other positition of power and take it all ultra-seriously ... or rich suburban kids that do coke and get with MAD sorority girls. Usually one of those three.

Tau Kappa Epsilon.
Pledging was the best time I never want to have again. Never did anything Homosexual, or degrading enough to challenge my own personal values.
OP THINK ABOUT IT
The stuff you have to do, the guys telling you to do it, had to do it too.
Pledging teaches you alot about yourself, and how you handle situations, though often under an inebriated state. Besides the good times, you get some great friends. My big brother and my pledge bro's kick it all the time.
Give it a shot, you wont regret it.

Tau Kappa Epsilon.
Pledging was the best time I never want to have again. Never did anything Homosexual, or degrading enough to challenge my own personal values.
OP THINK ABOUT IT
The stuff you have to do, the guys telling you to do it, had to do it too.
Pledging teaches you alot about yourself, and how you handle situations, though often under an inebriated state. Besides the good times, you get some great friends. My big brother and my pledge bro's kick it all the time.
Give it a shot, you wont regret it.

Back
Top Bottom