Apple's September 12 invite hints at iPhone 5. Upgrade to iOS 6 now.

How hard is it going to be to get an early upgrade for SPRINT to cop this phone? I can't upgrade until March 1 2012 on SPRINT, not paying $750 out of pocket :x . If anyone in the bay can hook it up, $50 spiff :smokin

wait... Michael you are in here kicking up a lot of dust! smh...

what is going on?!? lol

i sent you a message on FB btw... needed to ask you about something. check your messages....

how you like your jelly bean?

What other innovations can be really expect from phones though? It seems like at this point, most of the performance will depend on externalities like service, data speed, coverage etc. Like there is a limit to how thin a phone can be, theres an optimal data speed, after which it is pointless to increase it, theres a limit to how crisp the display can be. Imo the rate of innovation with regards to phones will peak soon or has already peaked.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what else can be done to "re-invent" the smart phone? We all know what the ultimate device would be...something that would have a screen that could change its size from a phone to a tablet to a comp. Now something like that would be interesting. Until then...you gonna keep seeing new dock connectors and minor tweaks.

Last edited:
What other innovations can be really expect from phones though? It seems like at this point, most of the performance will depend on externalities like service, data speed, coverage etc. Like there is a limit to how thin a phone can be, theres an optimal data speed, after which it is pointless to increase it, theres a limit to how crisp the display can be. Imo the rate of innovation with regards to phones will peak soon or has already peaked.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what else can be done to "re-invent" the smart phone? We all know what the ultimate device would be...something that would have a screen that could change its size from a phone to a tablet to a comp. Now something like that would be interesting. Until then...you gonna keep seeing new dock connectors and minor tweaks.

real life...

just a piece of glass

Just updated to IOS6 GM. I gotta hop in the shower to get ready for classes, so I won't get to play with it yet.

New Maps looks better and Passbooks also seems pretty dope.

real life...

just a piece of glass

There is a lot that could be done to at the very least make things interesting.

Fingerprint log in? (it was rumored)
New Haptic feedback screen (also rumored that apple will use this soon)
Touch screen on front and back of phone?
NFC (Obviously)
Surprised apple doesn't try to capitalize on the iphone being so popular for pictures and launch their own attachable lens to make it a high grade camera of sorts
Wireless charging built in

But anyway i was impressed by the small camera additions they made and the video of how much they take pride in the phone itself with all the new manufacturing processes they developed was cool. But i honestly liked the ipod touch better then the iphone5. Still leaning toward nokia lumia 920 right now....current 4s owner (jailbroken)

real life...

just a piece of glass

There is a lot that could be done to at the very least make things interesting.

Fingerprint log in? (it was rumored)
New Haptic feedback screen (also rumored that apple will use this soon)
Touch screen on front and back of phone?
NFC (Obviously)
Surprised apple doesn't try to capitalize on the iphone being so popular for pictures and launch their own attachable lens to make it a high grade camera of sorts
Wireless charging built in

But anyway i was impressed by the small camera additions they made and the video of how much they take pride in the phone itself with all the new manufacturing processes they developed was cool. But i honestly liked the ipod touch better then the iphone5. Still leaning toward nokia lumia 920 right now....current 4s owner (jailbroken)

Those features would be cool but are not that revolutionary either especially with the level of expectation. Its like people were expecting to get their mind blown but instead got a semi-erection of the 4S. Either way people are still gonna buy this regardless and everyones grandma is gonna cop. Personally im gonna wait to see what the BB10 qwerty phone (physical keyboards>>) is gonna be like and then decide.

dont mean to digress but im hoping if its something like this

:smokin

Man i am so with you on the physical keyboard>>>digital. That's why i am so excited to see if anyone can do a real Haptic keypad. Apple bought a company that specializes in that field so i really hope they perfect it and we see it.

I don't know what your expectations are for revolutionary but they seem to be rather high lol. But i do see what your saying

Just updated to IOS6 GM. I gotta hop in the shower to get ready for classes, so I won't get to play with it yet.

New Maps looks better and Passbooks also seems pretty dope.

I did the same this AM and so far so good. I like the Do Not Disturb feature. It eliminates me having to turn off the vibrate feature now while I'm at work.

^
Yea, noticed that also.

App Store, iTunes, and music players look very clean and sleak. Also, the share function from the camera roll is also nice.

Back
Top Bottom